Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Terrace and Cluster house (terrace) and Townhouse

Default Differences between Terrace and Cluster house (terrace) and Townhouse

Could the wise men and women advise me on the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Could the wise men and women advise me on the topic?
    one with facilities one without..not wise person though..

Quote Originally Posted by flagship74
    one with facilities one without..not wise person though..
    Hi, could you elaborate further? TIA.

Terrace is not strata land. Cluster housings need to pay maintenance fee coz they come with security plus swimming pool...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Terrace is not strata land. Cluster housings need to pay maintenance fee coz they come with security plus swimming pool...
    Mind if I ask another silly question - what is strata land? What is the definition?

Strata title is a form of ownership devised for multi-level apartment blocks and horizontal subdivisions with shared areas. The 'strata' part of the term refers to apartments being on different levels, or "strata".

- Source : wikipedia.

So cluster and townhouse you don't own the land.
    Landed terrace house, you own the land and can do anything to it and can change the facade of your house as well as.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Strata title is a form of ownership devised for multi-level apartment blocks and horizontal subdivisions with shared areas. The 'strata' part of the term refers to apartments being on different levels, or "strata".

- Source : wikipedia.

Landed terrace house, you own the land and can do anything to it and can change the facade of your house as well as.

Thanks for the definition.

Next, the question is - Town house and Cluster cannot be transferred to foreigner buyers?

Also, what is this type known - http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...lynnsville-331

Terrace or cluster house?

Why does URA Caveat shows it is under category "Terrace"

Please advise a confused man. Thanks.

Next, the question is - Town house and Cluster cannot be transferred to foreigner buyers?

Also, what is this type known - http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...lynnsville-331

The agent can type whatever they liked... they may not even be aware the mistake... but in the eyes of the law, it is very clear... I once even wrote to an agent telling her that the project she was advertising is nowhere near ECP coz its in D19 but she ignored my message so no choice lor...

Having said that, terrace house only describe the housing type which units are built side by side except corner terrace. There are such thing as strata terrace. URA probably classifiy everything under terrace... strata refers to the multiple ownerships for the same piece of land. URA had revised their definitions several years back... me no expert either. Maybe contact URA directly to understand better...
    Last edited by ysyap; 12-02-12 at 11:36.

Lynnsville 331 is cluster terrace.
    Scroll down the advert and you will see the agent advertised as cluster terrace.

Foreigners can own cluster terrace if the project is big and has a condo status. Examples are euhabitat and archipelago.

So have to check first before buying.

This unit you posted looks bright.
    Last time someone advertised an inter terrace and it looked dark from the pictures.

My query is , what type of housing does this falls to?

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...lynnsville-331

1.Terrace
    2. Cluster house
    or
    3. Town house

In URA, it is classified as Terrace. Then it comes to me, if this is afterall a Strata titled or the owner actually own that piece of land, or not?

URA website classified it as terrace cos it is a terrace house but look at the column to the right which reads "strata".

URA website classified it as terrace cos it is a terrace house but look at the column to the right which reads "strata".
    Finally, it is solved.

This is just a "landed" condominium then.

Finally, it is solved.

This is just a "landed" condominium then.
    That means you don't have people below or above your unit.
    Not all are considered condos, must be aware of this as foreigners cannot buy those non condo cluster house.

Too much rules and regulations... make things so confusing!

That means you don't have people below or above your unit.
    Not all are considered condos, must be aware of this as foreigners cannot buy those non condo cluster house.
    The general rule is avoid such developments to avoid confusion and mislead decision making.

The general rule is avoid such developments to avoid confusion and mislead decision making.
    I think the rule should be know what you are buying.

Not really confusion.
    If you are really interested in a unit, then you will have to find out clearly before buying.
    Generally, the prices are lower for such strata houses.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    I think the rule should be know what you are buying.
    Yes. you are right.

My query is , what type of housing does this falls to?

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...lynnsville-331

1.Terrace
    2. Cluster house
    or
    3. Town house

In URA, it is classified as Terrace. Then it comes to me, if this is afterall a Strata titled or the owner actually own that piece of land, or not?
    i dunno what category but i look at the staircase...my knees go weak...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    i dunno what category but i look at the staircase...my knees go weak...
    Yup, agree with you.
    Most of them are too vertical!

Yup, agree with you.
    Most of them are too vertical!
    All the rooms look smallish to me esp the master bedroom. If i were to pay for a 2900sqft property, the rooms had better be sizeable! this is like all quantity but no quality?

A lot of space taken up to accomodate the stairway.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    All the rooms look smallish to me esp the master bedroom. If i were to pay for a 2900sqft property, the rooms had better be sizeable! this is like all quantity but no quality?

Cannot make use of the space if it is too small floor area. Can also be a problem when one gets old unless there is an internal lift. But lift core and staircases will add to the circulation space which is not useful. It is better to go for larger land area like in Semi-D/Bungalow where you have at least 2500 sq ft land area. There will be a more efficient use of such space.
    Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    A lot of space taken up to accomodate the stairway.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason cluster housing is so cheap psf wise is because usable internal space is actually about 60-70% of the total floor area...

the rest taken up by car park, lift, stairs, bay window, balcony, void area between each floor, aircon ledge, etc

If one can pay $1.5 -1.8 m for a cluster housing. It is better to find another half a million to get at least a terrace house.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    If one can pay $1.5 -1.8 m for a cluster housing. It is better to find another half a million to get at least a terrace house.
    Agree. It's even stranger bcoz cluster housings are going for than just $1.5-$1.8M.

Interesting debates and views in this thread. Keep it flowing and let the discussion elaborates and expands.

Landed Title (Terrace) vs Strata title

landed Title - Free to do what you want , including tear down and rebulit the house it stands on ( sudject to guidelines) . You owned the land and thus full control . No maintenance charges (but need funds for personal maintenance)

Strata title - Uniform look to the exterior of buildings. With or without facilities. Any thing extra subjected to committee ( ie neighbours) approval. Shared land = limited privacy. Maintenance charges.

Imho, strata are for those who wants condo facilities and fuss free maintenance on the exterior (with a price , ie maintence , sinking funds etc)
    landed are for those who prefers privacy and to some extend exclusivity (able to change facade and determine look of building)

The most important difference is the ownership of the land. For landed, you own it. For Strata, technically except for the space you live in, land is shared amongst the other owners

I wouldn't put it that way. For cluster and townhouse (strata-titled) you, as well as your neighbours, DO own the land, except that ownership is on a share-based arrangement of the entire plot of land where the residential project is built on.

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I wouldn't put it that way. For cluster and townhouse (strata-titled) you DO own the land, except that ownership is on a share-based arrangement of the entire plot of land where the residential project is built on.
    If the ownership is share-based, then you don't own the land.