Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Selection of which ID to engage

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    What is your true intention? You do not need to use such idiom just to point out TS's mistake and so conveniently link it to national level.
    no intention. Just to point out that so many people I meet on a daily basis should go back to school to improve their language skills. it is painful to the eyes and ears.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    so? asking you guys to donate more to charitable causes is bad?
    No, not bad at all.
    Just repeat the same sentence in public in your perfect English, be it in Singapore, Beijing, Tokyo, Washington DC, NYC, Paris, you name it, and see what you will earn. Respect? I doubt. Spit? probably. Jail time? not totally impossible when you make such a statement about Asian if the country is serious about racial discrimination

no intention. Just to point out that so many people I meet on a daily basis should go back to school to improve their language skills. it is painful to the eyes and ears.
    You have to learn to accept and tolerate other's deficiences with a bigger heart.

donate the money to the poor, like bill gates and warren buffett. I guess Asians are too much of a loser to even donate one cent to charity.

why are asians such selfish, inward looking losers?

so? asking you guys to donate more to charitable causes is bad?
    No, not bad at all.
    Just repeat the same sentence in public in your perfect English, be it in Singapore, Beijing, Tokyo, Washington DC, NYC, Paris, you name it, and see what you will earn. Respect? I doubt. Spit? probably. Jail time? not totally impossible when you make such a statement about Asian if the country is serious about racial discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by SpinCity
    No, not bad at all.
    don't scare me with this big moniker "racial discrimination." what is wrong with comparing attitude toward donating for charitable causes across races? Bloomberg had an article that says that warren buffet and bill gates appeals to Asian rich people for donations to world hunger and their appeals fell on deaf ears. so bloomberg is racist too?

Relax. Don't take offense when none is intended.

Most likely your own country is supporting all the lazy people with social welfare, everyday just talk about rights, culture, manners, enjoy life spend future money, always ensuring politically right about saying anything but never sincere and country in deep deficit thats why you have to come to Singapore to seek employment. Your parents probably sent you off on your own when you start your college and in your own egoistic world you benchmark English as the only universal language...

That is why sadly your family "culture" didnt have time to teach you how to behave when you are in foreign land. Why not you go back to where you belong? If its just for money you are no more than just a leech...

While you are kind enough to point out the need for many to improve their language skills, many forummers here are kind enough to point out the need for you to exercise tolerance and grace in your postings. Many forummers here have already confessed in no uncertain terms that they are lacking in their linguistic abilities (English for that matter) but you are still insistent that there is nothing wrong with your disrespectful approach in correcting others.

Quote Originally Posted by chengerh
    Most likely your own country is supporting all the lazy people with social welfare, everyday just talk about rights, culture, manners, enjoy life spend future money, always ensuring politically right about saying anything but never sincere and country in deep deficit thats why you have to come to Singapore to seek employment. Your parents probably sent you off on your own when you start your college and in your own egoistic world you benchmark English as the only universal language...

That is why sadly your family "culture" didnt have time to teach you how to behave when you are in foreign land. Why not you go back to where you belong? If its just for money you are no more than just a leech...
    frankly, I don't understand what you wrote. get editorial help!!!

Does Bloomberg use similar statement like yours?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    While you are kind enough to point out the need for many to improve their language skills, many forummers here are kind enough to point out the need for you to exercise tolerance and grace in your postings. Many forummers here have already confessed in no uncertain terms that they are lacking in their linguistic abilities (English for that matter) but you are still insistent that there is nothing wrong with your disrespectful approach in correcting others.
    fine, cease fire.

Stalin.... the problem started because you used a property forum to correct someone's English...

This is not the right forum to do that...
    Imagine you were attending a convention or forum...

When it comes to the questions and answers section, you stand up and start to tell the speaker, your English is poor... you should be using this and that and speaking with a correct accent etc....

How do you think the participants and attendees in the conference will view you???

From all your previous posts, you come across as someone that is quite bitter either about where you stand in the society right now, your position, and since we are on the property forum, the property that you have bought...

I personally feel etiquette and decorum and more impt than perfect English.... If someone speak broken English or even an adulterated version of Enlglish, but is polite and respectful, do you think people will not respect him and accord the same respect and courtesy back to the person?

If Singapore as a society irk you so much.... please do not hang around here least we infect you with our poor English...

The problem we have now in SIN is that we treat foreigners so NICE and is so welcoming to them that its the foreigners that are stepping all over us..

Do you hear foreigner in China complaining about the standard of English there? NO!!!! Cause China will tell them to LEAVE if they are so affected by it...

For the sake of harmony, please show some respect to the people and the land you are making a living on..... Just as we have welcome you with open arms...

By all means, correct us, tell us where we have gone wrong, but please do it in the right context, at the right forum, in a right manner....

Ang Mor used to treat Asians as 2nd class citizens. Perhaps such mentality still exists.

Does Bloomberg use similar statement like yours?
    probably not. but you must understand that I wrote in reply to some people yelling and screaming at me. as they say, don't cut and paste and take things out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    Ang Mor used to treat Asians as 2nd class citizens. Perhaps such mentality still exists.
    not me. I was merely pointing out facts.

probably not. but you must understand that I wrote in reply to some people yelling and screaming at me. as they say, don't cut and paste and take things out of context.
    Such statement is inappropriate in any context, period

Such statement is inappropriate in any context, period
    You think it is proper to accuse me of racism just because I pointed out some people need editorial help when posting comments online? before you hurl that accusation at me, examine yourself.

My advise is that most IDs in Singapore are no good. they'd make your homes look like cheap geylang hotel rooms, with plywood and aluminum everywhere. they also lift this and thicken that, reducing useable space. My friend had an ID do up their new condo, and the result was shocking, shockingly bad. We labelled it plywood paradise. and it smells really bad too, with carcinogenic materials emitting foul odors throughout the home.

You are better off not using ID at all, and decorate your home yourself. Use high end and classy furniture. We have nothing but rosewood and teak furniture in our home, and our home looks like a 5 star hotel.
    I thought the correct grammar is "My advice" rather than "My advise"?

Can you move this discussion to the Coffeeshop section? It's become a discussion on English/Singlish rather than the original title.

This is a Singapore-based forum to discuss property-related matters - it's not a debating session in Oxford or Cambridge.

Repeating my earlier post which was evidently lost in all the cross firings...
    Oh yes, back to the discussion proper! ID firms have clauses that safeguard their business interest (which profiteering firm or company doesn't?). However, just be firm on your grounds and talk amicably with the designer before you sign on the dotted line.

Things to look out for:

1. Ensure that provisions are made in the contract, by the ID firm in terms of compensation for late completion of renovation works.
    2. Ensure that there is warranty stated in the contract for the reno work done.
    3. Must be diligent in going down to ensure that reno works are done the way you have stipulated for fear that the designer might have misinterpreted your requirements or the on site contractor might cut corners here and there.
    4. Always have a good relationship with the workers on site. Can buy them drinks, etc so they will be happy working in your house and may finish work faster than expected.
    5. Do not pay the final portion of the reno cost until you are completely satisfied with the work.

Cheers!

Dear YSYAP,

Thanks for the tips

P.S. I agree with YSYAP - let's keep this thread to ID related matters. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Can you move this discussion to the Coffeeshop section? It's become a discussion on English/Singlish rather than the original title.

This is a Singapore-based forum to discuss property-related matters - it's not a debating session in Oxford or Cambridge.
    Apologize if my OT post offended anyone. I concur on not diverting the orginal intent of the thread.

Cheers.

To add on to what others have mentioned,

1. Contractor/designer will always say that your requirement is understood and they don't need to write it in the contract. Do insist on having them included.

For negotiation and management, it is good to have a partner or fake partner so that one of you can be the "bad cop" to complain and be very fussy while the other one is seemingly reasonable and apologetic about the other person's behaviour

2. Check the internet for complaints about the contractors. Somewhere, someone is bound to have written something.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    1. Ensure that provisions are made in the contract, by the ID firm in terms of compensation for late completion of renovation works.
    Most of them will not include penalty clauses, unless you are paying top dollar or the extra penalty is already priced in. I would not insist on this but have smaller payment milestones.

I've used both ID and contractor. Some things to bear in mind:

a) if you use an ID, it's a little more convenient because the ID firm handles everything for you, from design to supervising the work.

When we used a contractor, it was a nightmare because you have to go down to the site and supervise, otherwise stuff just doesn't get done when they're stretched for resources.

b) don't just look at the dollar value of the contract. Our contractor really screwed us over when we went with him because he was cheaper than the other quotes we had. While he was cheaper, there were so many issues, such as late delivery of our condo (by about 2 months), poor electrical wiring, leaking toilet, etc. In the end, we had to get someone else in to fix all this and that wiped out the savings we thought we had from accepting the cheaper quote.

c) Agreed on the other posters who have said that a detailed contract is good. Best is itemise line by line with clear description of the materials, etc. Otherwise, the possibility of the ID/contractor telling you that you have to top up is very real.

I agree with you, template, about not to look at the dollar value of the contract.
    I have been using my mother's church friend, an ID.
    She is a little expensive if you allow to do whatever she wants.
    However, I find that I can cut down costs if I dictate what I want and select the material.
    I find her reliable and her contractor good.
    If she said she will deliver it by a certain date, she means it.
    The materials she uses are of good quality and can last a long time.
    My parents have used her previously for their home too.

Dear All,

My apartment will be ready soon and meanwhile my 1st baby is also coming soon. So I really hope to get some contact of good ID from you guys. thanks for your help and have a nice day ahead

Just wondering what are the minimum things to be done for a new condo? Just install the lights and can move in liaoz?

The bros and sistas here damn power. All showing support after i kena suan for having no proper education.

Thanks for the info on ID. I will see if there try to smoke me.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Just wondering what are the minimum things to be done for a new condo? Just install the lights and can move in liaoz?

Do you need to install a false ceiling for the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by price
    Do you need to install a false ceiling for the lights?
    Yes, need false ceiling for the lights and fan. If not decided to have fan now or later, must inform ID to stengthen the false ceiling where the fan would be so that in future no need to change false ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop

Lights, fans, additional power sockets, curtains, grills, laundry hanger. And other items depend on what is included in yr condo eg towel rails.

If yours is a rental unit, advise you to consider not installing false ceiling as it will involve less hassle in case of leakage from upstairs. Just use the existing points for lighting provided by the developer. If you say new condo don't have leakage, that's not true. It depends on your luck. Shoddy workmanship can also result in leakage in a new condo. Has happened to me before so am speaking from experience.