http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapor...ry_750027.html

Boon Lay flats to be replaced under Sers

Residents there to get new homes in Jurong West Central

Published on Dec 30, 2011

By Shuli Sudderuddin

RESIDENTS of 650 flats in Boon Lay Drive can soon look forward to new homes in Jurong West Central, under the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (Sers).

The Boon Lay site comprises blocks 167 to 172, which are 38 years old.

It is the 77th site to benefit from Sers, which involves the development of selected older buildings to make the best use of land. Owners get market-value compensation and have first bite at buying new flats in the replacement project.

The flats in Boon Lay will be 43 years old by the time the replacement flats are completed in the first quarter of 2016. Sers residents are assured of a flat in the new development at Jurong West Central, which will contain about 710 new two-room, three-room, four-room and five-room units.

Residents will be compensated for their existing flats based on the prevailing market value, and will get a 20 per cent discount on the replacement flats if they are eligible. This runs up to $15,000 for singles and $30,000 for joint singles and families.

The estimated compensation based on recent market transactions of comparable flats ranges from $250,000 to $290,000 for the three-room flats, the Housing Board (HDB) said.

Residents can also buy the replacement flats at subsidised prices, frozen at the date of the Sers announcement.

HDB will be holding an exhibition from Jan 5 to 11 at the hard court beside Block 169, Boon Lay Drive, to give residents a better understanding of the Sers plan and information on the replacement flats and the Sers benefits.

In addition, officers went door-to-door yesterday to explain the details to residents, and to give them a full information package.

Residents are supposed to register for new replacement flats by the end of next year.

When The Straits Times visited the blocks last night, HDB officers were going from door-to-door giving residents the news and explaining what their options were.

The majority of residents interviewed were happy with the replacement location next to Boon Lay MRT station and Jurong Point, citing the age of their flats as a big reason for wanting to move.

Ms Ang Siew Yong, 49, who is a cleaner in a cafe, said she has been living in Block 169 since 1996.

'I've been wanting to move for the longest time, but didn't have the money. The floor is so old and dirty, and we can smell the rubbish from the refuse area. Now, we can finally move and Jurong West Central will be very convenient,' she said.

Other elderly residents said they would be glad to have lifts that stopped at every floor, as the lifts in their current blocks do not.

'It's about time these flats are pulled down,' said one resident, Madam Hammiral Nagorghani, 46, who works in retail. 'They're so old, and the floors vibrate each time people walk.'

She said she was delighted to be getting a new flat so close to an MRT station.

Mr Ahmad Hamid, 76, a retired technician whose brother bought their three-room flat more than 20 years ago for $26,000, said he was pleased about the money they would make.

Some younger residents, however, expressed concern.

Said Ms Sandra Koh, 25, who works in the food industry: 'My parents bought our flat for close to $200,000 so I'm not sure they feel the compensation is enough. Also, even though I like the Jurong location, flats built nowadays seem a lot smaller, so I'm worried about the size of the new flat.'

Since its inception in 1995, the Sers programme has benefited about 35,000 households across 76 sites.

[email protected]