Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No More new flats crammed into small blocks

Default No More new flats crammed into small blocks

No more new flats crammed into small blocks: URA

New rules stipulate minimum plot size for apartment blocks, provide for landscaping or facilities

Published on Nov 25, 2011

ON A LITTLE STREET IN SINGAPORE...
    LORONG N, TELOK KURAU: Two houses wedged between two condominiums, an example of the rapid proliferation of small apartments in the traditionally landed area. -- ST PHOTOS: KEVIN LIM

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter & Melissa Tan
    Relief is on the way for residents fed up with the ever-increasing numbers of new flats being crammed into small blocks and adding to congestion and strained amenities.
    New rules will set minimum plot sizes for apartment blocks and restrict the number of flats that can be built on certain sites, ensuring that some ground will be free for landscaping or facilities.
    The move is in response to a growing clamour from residents about overcrowding, which has worsened in recent years with the popularity of shoebox apartments.
    Background story

Extracts from the URA circular

• 'Developments are being built on increasingly smaller plots, with some being built on plots previously occupied by one landed house.'
    • 'There is increased usage of mechanised parking systems... which allows developers to build many more units and yet provide the minimum number of car parking spaces. Such developments include many small shoebox units. These new developments inject a much larger number of housing units in an area than what was planned for.'
    • 'The proliferation of such developments will result in... a strain on the existing road system, resulting in traffic friction and congestion.'
    • 'Due to their small plot sizes, flat developments tend to provide minimal landscaping or communal open areas.'
    • 'Such residential estates are becoming increasingly cramped and dense with many fragmented plots containing small flat developments with minimal greenery and landscaping. This compromises the living environment, both within the developments and the overall estate.'

Blocks of flats have even been built on the site of a single landed home.
    var subrenderfile="/Subscription/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_737906.html"; Estates such as Telok Kurau, Kovan and Joo Chiat have become increasingly cramped, prompting gripes about traffic congestion and a drop in the overall quality of life.
    A circular sent to industry players on Wednesday and obtained by The Straits Times shows that the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) is acting to address these issues.
    The new regime kicked in on Thursday and applies to all developments without provisional planning permission, which is conditional approval from the Government.
    The URA has set a minimum plot size of 1,000 sq m for all non-landed residential projects. There were no restrictions previously.
    The new plot size will allow for more open space and ensure that areas are set aside for landscaping and communal facilities, the URA said.
    It has also limited the maximum number of flats on land parcels with a gross plot ratio of 1.4. The gross plot ratio determines how intensely the land can be used. A ratio of 1.4 allows developers to build up to five storeys.
    These areas are usually intended for low-density housing - mostly landed homes with a mix of low-rise flats.
    The maximum number of homes for such sites will now be determined by a formula where a site's maximum gross floor area (GFA) will be divided by 70 sq m. The aim, said the URA, is to 'safeguard livability'.
    The rule will be even more stringent in the Telok Kurau estate where the URA has noted a rapid proliferation of small apartments. The GFA on sites there will be divided by 100 sq m, which will result in even fewer units.
    'For Telok Kurau, we note that existing landed houses have been redeveloped into five-storey flat developments at a rapid pace with a proliferation of small units,' said the URA.
    'This rapid injection of a large number of units has resulted in significantly higher traffic volumes along the existing narrow local access roads.'
    Areas like Joo Chiat/Jalan Eunos and Kovan, which like Telok Kurau have many sites with gross plot ratios of 1.4, have also been identified as possible congestion hot spots.
    Redevelopment in these areas could put a more severe strain on infrastructure than in other parts of the island, said the URA, which is conducting a study with the Land Transport Authority to determine if more stringent guidelines are also needed.
    The agency noted that developers will still be able to build units of various sizes as long as the total number meets the new formula.
    It added that there has been a trend of projects built on increasingly smaller plots in recent years, with some on sites previously occupied by just one landed home.
    Many of these new projects consist of shoebox units. If left unchecked, the sheer numbers of new residents could overwhelm infrastructure such as roads.
    Experts noted that while some will welcome the measures, other home owners looking to sell older estates in collective sales might find their asking price whittled down.
    Mr Lee Liat Yeang, a partner in Rodyk & Davidson's Real Estate Practice Group, said the en bloc potential for sites of gross plot ratio 1.4 will 'certainly be affected' by these new planning rules.
    He added that developers will find it harder to achieve higher selling prices for their new units which have to be larger than 'shoebox size' so as to satisfy the maximum number of new units to be built. 'Developers will take into account these new planning rules in their decision-making process, which will definitely affect their tender prices for such sites,' Mr Lee added.
    Some collective sale sites on the market with gross plot ratios of 1.4 include Green Lodge on Toh Tuck Road and Henry Park Apartments, off Holland Road.
    Mr Jason Chee, 36, a bank executive who has lived in Telok Kurau for seven years, hailed the new rules as they will reduce the number of cars, and consequently congestion.
    But he noted the 'possibility' of the new rules affecting home owners who want to sell their land to developers.

Good news or bad news for landed owners in the vicinity?

Pros :
    1) No more uncertainty that your neighbours ( esp if land size is small) would be developed into condo
    2) More uniform look in the estate. more exclusive and traffic free

Cons
    1) Limited en bloc potential

Collateral damage...

Too little too late in all honesty - damage already done.

long ago we already KPKB about this problem in this forum. now then want to chnage the rules.

I cannot imagine having some neighbours stare down into my house everyday. Lucky they intervene now. Otherwise kovan will soon be gone case.

It's about time...
    The most successful investors are defined by their actions in a bear market, not a bull market.

Just not too long ago we were discussing about how horrible is the living conditions in Telok Kurau and how these small developers enbloc 1-2 landed houses on 5000 sq ft and build 20 condos in the same tiny plot. I saw some of the developments and the window open up to a wall on your neighbour's hse and living conditions worse than HDB flats. Heat gets trapped in the area filled up with concrete walls with no breathing space. I think Telok Kurau and some East Coast small roads with all the low budget MMs are gone case. I think Kovan at least is spared the trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Just not too long ago we were discussing about how horrible is the living conditions in Telok Kurau and how these small developers enbloc 1-2 landed houses on 5000 sq ft and build 20 condos in the same tiny plot. I saw some of the developments and the window open up to a wall on your neighbour's hse and living conditions worse than HDB flats. Heat gets trapped in the area filled up with concrete walls with no breathing space. I think Telok Kurau and some East Coast small roads with all the low budget MMs are gone case. I think Kovan at least is spared the trauma.
    haha

5xxk very soon drop to 1xxk? GSS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    haha

5xxk very soon drop to 1xxk? GSS !!!
    haha... you mean the MMs or the landed?
    The most successful investors are defined by their actions in a bear market, not a bull market.

The situation at Kovan is already quite bad.
    Just drive around Kovan estate to take a look.
    There is construction on at least 2-3 smallish apartment developments currently underway on Kovan Road itself.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe
    haha... you mean the MMs or the landed?
    Got 5xxk landed in tk ? I want!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Got 5xxk landed in tk ? I want!
    haha...is it too late to retract that dumb question of mine?

The situation at Kovan is already quite bad.
    Just drive around Kovan estate to take a look.
    There is construction on at least 2-3 smallish apartment developments currently underway on Kovan Road itself.
    Space ship @ Kovan? Vibrator @ Kovan? 57 @ Kovan?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Space ship @ Kovan? Vibrator @ Kovan? 57 @ Kovan?
    I think its 57@kovan , bliss@kovan.

If a landed ppty with <1,000 sq m is located in between the 2 condos, then jialat liao, does it mean that it will be sandwich there forever.

Fantastic, how they do that. 20 condos in 5,000 sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    If a landed ppty with <1,000 sq m is located in between the 2 condos, then jialat liao, does it mean that it will be sandwich there forever.
    Means cannot unbloc until ruling is reversed.

Means cannot unbloc until ruling is reversed.
    Jiatlat, who would want to buy such landed??????? Not me for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman
    So if there are 3 landed, 2 of them decided to sell, the one left over with <1,000 sq m will have no choice lor, also need to sell, otherwise he will be stuck in between till the govt change the rules again, but don't know when leh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman
    Not true. Many landed estates do not come with plot ratio.
    In the east for example, frankel, keris, opera estate do not come with plot ratios. These estates have 0 potential in terms of enbloc to develop into apartments. Have their prices been limited all these years?

just a minor point. the term Condo is being loosely thrown about these days.

there are strict parameters for a housing project to earn the right to being call a condo, otherwise they are just private apartments.

the exact parameters can be found in URA's guide. for a start,

1. site area no less than 4,000 sqm
    2. site coverage (footprint of buildings on site area) of no more than 40%
    etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Duku
    Good news or bad news for landed owners in the vicinity?

Pros :
    1) No more uncertainty that your neighbours ( esp if land size is small) would be developed into condo
    2) More uniform look in the estate. more exclusive and traffic free

Cons
    1) Limited en bloc potential
    the estate is still uniform meh? I thought already in a mess.

last time I remember got bro recommending buying landed with a plot ratio because can enbloc.

Now really jialat. Lousy estate (crowded, messy, etc), and no enbloc potential.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    last time I remember got bro recommending buying landed with a plot ratio because can enbloc.

True landed lover will buy into landed estate w/o plot ratio, and won't worry that neighbour enbloc and end up having low-rise neighbors staring down your garden...., at least now Gahmen realize this and curb MM from flooding landed estate...

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    True landed lover will buy into landed estate w/o plot ratio, and won't worry that neighbour enbloc and end up having low-rise neighbors staring down your garden...., at least now Gahmen realize this and curb MM from flooding landed estate...
    Where else can MM go? Not many places but in the midst of mass market condos. I expect in the next 1-2 years only 99LH MM entering the market. FH and 999LH MM will be very slow and often in districts that are out of reach of budget investors.

Quote Originally Posted by land118

i think the term is Designated landed ...

among the landed estates ... many are non-designated landed .. hence they can be converted to condo/apt ..maintaining their plot ratio ..

designated landed estates will remain as landed ..and the houses there cannot be turned into condo/apt

serangoon gdns, T.K.. almost the entire D15/16 .. parts of coronations/Sixth Ave.. are also non designated landed estates ..

in fact it may be easier to count the number designated landed the non-designated ..

are u the same bargain_hunter as this?

http://forums.condosingapore.com/member.php?u=17494

Not true. Many landed estates do not come with plot ratio.
    In the east for example, frankel, keris, opera estate do not come with plot ratios. These estates have 0 potential in terms of enbloc to develop into apartments. Have their prices been limited all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    are u the same bargain_hunter as this?

http://forums.condosingapore.com/member.php?u=17494
    Yup i am the one you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30

Its ok to buy land that has enbloc potential.
    But not when the developers build MMs on those land.
    How to have enough carparks in the development to cater to the inflated no. of units they are building.
    Previously TK apartments range from 800sqf and above.