Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rochor residents complain about having to leave flats

Default Rochor residents complain about having to leave flats

Published on Nov 19, 2011
    By Feng Zengkun
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_735673.html

The MP in charge of Rochor Centre on Friday said she will try to seek higher compensation for those evicted to make way for the North-South Expressway.

Ms Denise Phua said this after a tense hour during which more than 200 residents aired their grievances at the launch of an exhibition of the new flats they are being offered in Kallang.

'I will speak to (the Housing Board) and see if it's possible to increase the compensation to the residents,' said Ms Phua, an MP for Moulmein-Kallang GRC.

'I understand that there are residents who are very angry at having to move... It's difficult but we have to accept the Government's decision.
    var subrenderfile="/Subscription/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_735673.html"; 'My advice is for residents to gather the details and look at the package being offered to them.'

The Government is to acquire 567 flats in four blocks at Rochor Centre for the new road - the highest number of flats affected by a land development project to date. It will build 810 new units next to the Kallang River as replacement housing, to be ready in 2016.

Although older residents who showed up on Friday were mostly resigned to the move, most of the middle-aged ones said they were angry and did not think the new flats were fair compensation.

Secretary Mabel Woo, 40, who lives in a three-room flat with her husband, said: 'Right now we have shops and grocery stores right below our flats. There's even a temple nearby. This is a great convenience to the many residents here who are elderly, especially when it rains. In the new place they will have to walk farther.'

Others said the move disrupted their personal lives. Mr Arun Kumar, 47, a businessman who lives in a three-room flat with his family, said: 'I work at Sim Lim Tower and can walk to work from my flat now. Many of us will have to get up earlier and pay more in transport and to the ERP (Electronic Road Pricing) gantries.'

Almost all the 20 residents The Straits Times spoke to said they would move to Kallang, but only because they had little choice.
    'At the very least, the HDB should have offered us several locations to choose from,' said sales executive Lim Siow Khee, 41, who bought a three-room flat at the centre two years ago.

Retiree Yang Chan Nan, 66, who has lived in a three-room unit there for 35 years, was worried about the Kallang flats' proximity to the Geylang red-light district, about 500m away.

One of the few residents optimistic about the move was Ms Joanna Lim, 65, a housewife who lives in a three-room flat with her grandson.
    She intends to bid for a five-room unit in the Kallang block. 'We've been meaning to upgrade to a bigger flat for some time, so this guaranteed housing is a bonus for us,' she said.

The 21.5km expressway will link towns in the north to the city. Advance work will start from 2013, and major roadworks will begin from 2015. The project is expected to be finished by 2020.

Elsewhere, Minister for Transport Lui Tuck Yew met stakeholders of the Nanyang Pho Leng association on Monday to explain why they too, were being asked to make way for the expressway.

Mr Lui, whose ward in Moulmein-Kallang GRC includes the clan building, said the association asked whether it could move back to the site after construction on the new road is completed. 'I will speak to the relevant agencies to see if that's possible,' said Mr Lui.

Both Ms Phua and Mr Lui sought their constituents' understanding. 'I hope they understand that their sacrifice is for the greater good,' said Ms Phua.

[email protected]

Relocated site is definitely not great compared to where they are staying now. Too close to geylang. In future. most SERs will not be moving to a better place as compared to those 10 years ago. Wonder why prospective buyers are willing to pay $100k above the valuation price plus good COV for these flats.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Relocated site is definitely not great compared to where they are staying now. Too close to geylang. In future. most SERs will not be moving to a better place as compared to those 10 years ago. Wonder why prospective buyers are willing to pay $100k above the valuation price plus good COV for these flats.
    i hold another view. Kallang Riverside is up and coming. With River + proximity to MRT, CBD, Suntec, Marina Bay, Sports Hub.....Kallang has a lot of upside, while Rochor is simply too 'messy' and congested.

I want to remind MP Denise Chua that she needs to fulfill her promise to rejuvenate my estate. Please don't talk only and remove the upgrading banner after GE.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

If HDB relent, then in future every resident in future SERS project would want to bargain and negotiate for higher compensation...., resident test water to see if HDB and KBW give in....

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    If HDB relent, then in future every resident in future SERS project would want to bargain and negotiate for higher compensation...., resident test water to see if HDB and KBW give in....
    getting scary rite....

$$$ is the root of all evil???

i actually pity the MP......

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    getting scary rite....

$$$ is the root of all evil???

i actually pity the MP......
    Ya, MP if never bring residents' case to HDB, residents will complaint him say never do work, after GE don't care. If appeal fail, residents will say he wayang....; remind me of Serangoon Gardens residents who voted George Yeo, Lim Hwee Hua out of Aljunied becos of workers quarters case...

Ya, MP if never bring residents' case to HDB, residents will complaint him say never do work, after GE don't care. If appeal fail, residents will say he wayang....; remind me of Serangoon Gardens residents who voted George Yeo, Lim Hwee Hua out of Aljunied becos of workers quarters case...
    Now u know how shallow some singaporeans are. The opposition get voted in not becos they are good, it becos some people just want to spite the incumbent MP for doing things not to their likings

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%...18-311427.html

Rochor residents unhappy at lack of dialogue over move

By Hannah Teoh
    AsiaOne
    Friday, Nov 18, 2011

The new Kallang flats*offered to Rochor residents of Rochor Centre affected by the upcoming North-South Expressway (Way) was unveiled at a Meet The People session held on Friday evening*by MP Ms Denise Phua.

But the news was met with mixed feelings, even as Ms Phua listed the benefits of moving to the new site.

More than 500 families to make way for new highway
    Chief among the complaints was the lack of any dialogue prior to being served the acquisition notice. Some residents were also*unhappy with the Kallang site,*viewing it as a less than ideal location.

Ms Phua said that while she agreed that many residents at Rochor Centre enjoyed the centrality of the location, she started receiving more complaints about the standard of living there in recent years.

She told media that some residents complained* that the area*was noisy, and elderly people faced inconveniences*such as not having lifts that serve every floor.

In contrast, Ms Phua listed amenities at the new Kallang site such as closeness to the MRT and Kallang River, and lifts on every floor of the block that would serve residents instead.

Some residents AsiaOne spoke to*disagreed.

One resident was disgruntled that there was no dialogue before they were served the land aquisition notice, and said the notice came as a shock.

A long-time resident, who only wanted to be known as Miss Mag, said: "We were not given any dialogue sessions. This is a top-down approach and some people are very bitter about it."

Another Rochor resident , Miss Lim, said: "They should hear us out and hear our concerns. We have to sacrifice our home for motorists."

In response, Ms Phua said that it was difficult to have a dialogue session for a situation like this one because speculation about land* aquisition would impact the land prices.

She added: "I urge the residents not to make rash decisions. HDB said that for the next month, all sales will be frozen in order for residents to collect information so that they can make the right decision."

One couple, Mr Lee and his wife, felt that the Kallang site was less than ideal, and was reluctant to move.

Mr Lee said: "The MRT track is overhead, as compared to here where it is underground. The noise will be terrible. The site is also near Geylang Lorong 1, and it is near the red light district."

The demand by old men for special services will go up. Geylang will expand towards Kallang. Is this part of Kallang revitalisation plan?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    The demand by old men for special services will go up. Geylang will expand towards Kallang. Is this part of Kallang revitalisation plan?
    More than $100k compensation can go for many special service trips...

Geylang OKT, where r u? Biz boom coming, time to plan for expansion...

That I fear. Why do they want to build hotels at Kallang Riverside? I hope the govt won't sell the land to any hotel operators. Must specify the type of hotels. Just hope the govt don't mess it up.

Maybe your humble brother here can enlighten a bit la.... you see, no buildings in our mortal world can last for more than 50 years. If it did like in the West, they are mostly ill maintained and low rise buildings.

If even the structural is intact and strong, the software like pipes and wiring will be corrupted. Many alien beings (like insects and bugs ) would have infested every cavities in the building. Under the bath tubs, you could find centipedes or lizards. Or, worse, the interior of a metal pipe would have corroded unknowingly. That is why, the costs of refurnishing the whole building to last another 50 years would be as good as rebuilding one.

I wonder brothers here got go look see look see some of our conservative houses or not? The major restructuring required is as good as replacing the software into new ones and just putting the exterior cover back lor.

Some want to argue that I am flawed in my reasoning as they see many old buildings in the West. Yes, one fine day they will give up maintaining them altogether, when the goose fly back home to be roasted. That is why, you find many run down buildings near the outskirts of the Western cities whereby the demand for commerce activity is low.

I feel moving the Rochorian to Kallang is a good one because the new Kallang's location is not bad also

Good Luck.

神龙股侠。
    nil sine labore!

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    Maybe your humble brother here can enlighten a bit la.... you see, no buildings in our mortal world can last for more than 50 years. If it did like in the West, they are mostly ill maintained and low rise buildings.

If even the structural is intact and strong, the software like pipes and wiring will be corrupted. Many alien beings (like insects and bugs ) would have infested every cavities in the building. Under the bath tubs, you could find centipedes or lizards. Or, worse, the interior of a metal pipe would have corroded unknowingly. That is why, the costs of refurnishing the whole building to last another 50 years would be as good as rebuilding one.

I wonder brothers here got go look see look see some of our conservative houses or not? The major restructuring required is as good as replacing the software into new ones and just putting the exterior cover back lor.

Some want to argue that I am flawed in my reasoning as they see many old buildings in the West. Yes, one fine day they will give up maintaining them altogether, when the goose fly back home to be roasted. That is why, you find many run down buildings near the outskirts of the Western cities whereby the demand for commerce activity is low.

I feel moving the Rochorian to Kallang is a good one because the new Kallang's location is not bad also

Good Luck.

神龙股侠。
    nil sine labore!
    Old people usually don't like to move for many reasons. You can test the idea of shifting to a new (lousier) location with your parents...

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    Now u know how shallow some singaporeans are. The opposition get voted in not becos they are good, it becos some people just want to spite the incumbent MP for doing things not to their likings
    The workers' quarters case is only one of many factors how people vote. Other factors include the strength of the Worker's Party team which include Low Thia Kiang, Silvia Lim, Chen Show Mao, the desire for more opposition voices, the shortcomings of the PAP and so on.

Give credit where credit is due.

Old people usually don't like to move for many reasons. You can test the idea of shifting to a new (lousier) location with your parents...
    it was reported tat old ppl r not the ones making noise.....i m kind of surprised actually too

is those $$$ faced middle aged group!

What a pity... The residents have to endure construction for many years. They could have enjoyed the two downtown MRT stations so near to them but alas

Very impressed with the map outlining the mrt station. Where u got itfrom?

UOTE=ecimbew]What a pity... The residents have to endure construction for many years. They could have enjoyed the two downtown MRT stations so near to them but alas

[/QUOTE]

it was reported tat old ppl r not the ones making noise.....i m kind of surprised actually too

is those $$$ faced middle aged group!
    My relative stays there and she is an old auntie grumbling about it

I suppose shifting a house for an old person is as drastic as changing job for a young person who needs a lot of adjustments.

I know the old people will have issues moving, but seriously, land values in kallang are going to shoot through the roof in time to come!!!

Kallang is not a bad area minus the geylang activities. Riverine by the park is partially affected by this.

If the activities grow out of it's epicenter... There'll be lots of disgruntled owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastboy
    I know the old people will have issues moving, but seriously, land values in kallang are going to shoot through the roof in time to come!!!
    if u believe so, mai tu liao go buy a private whether correction comes or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dnomyarw
    The workers' quarters case is only one of many factors how people vote. Other factors include the strength of the Worker's Party team which include Low Thia Kiang, Silvia Lim, Chen Show Mao, the desire for more opposition voices, the shortcomings of the PAP and so on.

Give credit where credit is due.
    I don't believe if the same worker gang come west they will be voted in. The reason that west have strong support for pap is becos of major Jurong regional development plan, direct benefits to the citizens there. if the the Jurong development plan is at Aljunied instead, the WP stands no chance at all

Why don't govt build the same as Rochor Centre, where there are shops below the residential area so that those affected shops can also set up their business there.

For reading pleasure, although the discussions were many years back.
    http://sgforums.com/forums/8/topics/85044

I don't believe if the same worker gang come west they will be voted in. The reason that west have strong support for pap is becos of major Jurong regional development plan, direct benefits to the citizens there. if the the Jurong development plan is at Aljunied instead, the WP stands no chance at all
    A win is a win. We will talk about the West in due course.

Ya, MP cannot just pay so much attention to HDB residents only, pte residents are just as powerful as HDB residents, cheers.

The West voted PAP because WP did not go there and West has higher percentage of PAP-fearing curry favour carrying New Citizens who by statistics always vote PAP in exchange for Singapore citizenship.

You think too highly of PAP abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    The West voted PAP because WP did not go there and West has higher percentage of PAP-fearing curry favour carrying New Citizens who by statistics always vote PAP in exchange for Singapore citizenship.

You think too highly of PAP abilities.

tok again during nxt GE

tok again during nxt GE
    I might be too old by then to be mentally strong to vote, most probably PA grassroots disguise as polling agents will harass my old mind to vote PAP or might have left the world too by next GE. I am only a few years younger than LKY.

So many 3rd World countries people become Singapore citizens lately,PAP really will use all means to increase vote count including using taxpayers money to woo 3rd World countries people to be Singapore citizens.

Singapore is no longer the same country my children grew up in, the values are diluted and fast becoming extinct.