Thread: favorite MRT line and why

Default favorite MRT line and why

Since MRT-side condos are so hot nowadays, I wanna ask our friends here what is your favorite MRT line and why.

Mine is NS line (being a northerner) - u can get to town and JLD at same time and plenty of malls along this line

I still feel with the addition of all the new lines this will still be one of the topmost favorites

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    Since MRT-side condos are so hot nowadays, I wanna ask our friends here what is your favorite MRT line and why.

Mine is NS line (being a northerner) - u can get to town and JLD at same time and plenty of malls along this line

I still feel with the addition of all the new lines this will still be one of the topmost favorites
    NS good for shopping. EW good for working..

Circle line should be the most preferred as it connects every line as well as the centre like Dhoby Ghaut.

I only know the EW and NS line as I grew up with these lines.
    The rest I blur.
    I like the line from Tanah Merah to Airport best.

I know the green and red line is very crowded.

Unfortunately, there are not many other choice

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I only know the EW and NS line as I grew up with these lines.
    The rest I blur.
    I like the line from Tanah Merah to Airport best.
    You just reminded everyone of your age. You grew up when MRT started with the NS line from Yio Chu Kang to Toa Payoh line in 1987 and then stretching to the NS and EW line. Oops! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    I know the green and red line is very crowded.

Unfortunately, there are not many other choice
    Its naturally crowded if our population has exploded with so many FT and FW coming in. Many of my friends and even neighbors have expressed their concerns when they take public transport and see so many non locals. Even in hdb flats, there are suddenly so many non locals buying in recent years. At the playground, its the same story. Singaporeans are becoming the minority in our country. A failure to plan early, whether in our public transport system or our housing system, as our PM acknowledged at the dialogue with the public aired on TV before the GE.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Circle line should be the most preferred as it connects every line as well as the centre like Dhoby Ghaut.
    Same thought like the one in tokyo, but it may take years.

Circle line? Easily the most useless line. From Farrer Road station, need to take 2 stations to Buona Vista and then walk and walk and interchange and wait again for EW line, and then take another 8 stations or so to Raffles place.

And it's misleading to say the circle line links directly to Dhoby Gaut, but via a big roundabout route in a big circle. So from Farrer Park to Dhoby Gaut is like 17 stations roundabout unless one transfers somewhere which entail walking and waiting again. And Dhoby Gaut is usually not the end destination anyway, which means many times must transfer twice. The most useless line.

I don't even know why LTA bother to build the circle line. Should have built downtown and eastern region line before this rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Circle line? Easily the most useless line. From Farrer Road station, need to take 2 stations to Buona Vista and then walk and walk and interchange and wait again for EW line, and then take another 8 stations or so to Raffles place.

And it's misleading to say the circle line links directly to Dhoby Gaut, but via a big roundabout route in a big circle. So from Farrer Park to Dhoby Gaut is like 17 stations roundabout unless one transfers somewhere which entail walking and waiting again. And Dhoby Gaut is usually not the end destination anyway, which means many times must transfer twice. The most useless line.

I don't even know why LTA bother to build the circle line. Should have built downtown and eastern region line before this rubbish.
    Your comment is as biased as mine. It really depend on your starting point. Someone staying at one of those interchange can decide which line to reach his destination in the shortest way. At least the circle line serves to connect different lines together rather than no connection and that same guy has to take bus and then walk and wait some more for the train. Its always relative lah! LOL!

Yes LTA takes a long time to respond to the citizens' concerns. The NS expressway was long overdue. The road expansion of CTE was also long long long long long long long overdue. Nothing is done for the horrific traffic jam on PIE during peak hours yet. How long more? The overcrowding issue at MRT trains is also long overdue. The crowing at Jurong station was also a huge problem only addressed recently. The barricade at all non-underground stations was discussed years ago and only starting to be implemented recently and an avoidable accident occurred this year at amk mrt. How slow? How slow?

You just reminded everyone of your age. You grew up when MRT started with the NS line from Yio Chu Kang to Toa Payoh line in 1987 and then stretching to the NS and EW line. Oops! LOL!
    "Grew up with the MRT" can mean born when MRT first started, can mean was in primary, secondary or JC or even in uni.

By virtue of connecting the likes of CityHall, Raffles Place, Orchard and Newton, my vote goes to NS line.

CCL is clearly not the best - but not useless either.
    This will be more evident as more lines come on - like the Downtown line 2. I agree on the waiting/transfers but it offers connectivity to all the other radial lines.

You can choose your routes - and by-pass very busy interchanges and even get a seat. So that counts for something - esp to the weak/elderly who have more time to wait but wld appreciate the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon

circle line is an auxiliary line *by design*, that's why it has only 4 carriages. so no matter what it cannot be the "best" line so to speak.

all other lines serve their purposes. NS/EW lines are more popular now simply because many estates / commercial activities are developed along these 2 lines after they were developed. it's of no surprise they are more used.

over the next decade you will see areas along the new lines being developed too.

so this question is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    circle line is an auxiliary line *by design*, that's why it has only 4 carriages. so no matter what it cannot be the "best" line so to speak.

all other lines serve their purposes. NS/EW lines are more popular now simply because many estates / commercial activities are developed along these 2 lines after they were developed. it's of no surprise they are more used.

over the next decade you will see areas along the new lines being developed too.

so this question is irrelevant.
    If this question is irrelevant, why answer it? So all those who answered are irrelevant too?
    There is still a choice between NS and EW, and it is interesting to understand the perks and drawbacks of each line from the forummers' perspective.

The objective is not to find the best line, but why one would prefer a certain line (eg shopping or connectivity or location)

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    If this question is irrelevant, why answer it? So all those who answered are irrelevant too?
    There is still a choice between NS and EW, and it is interesting to understand the perks and drawbacks of each line from the forummers' perspective.

The objective is not to find the best line, but why one would prefer a certain line (eg shopping or connectivity or location)
    My choice wud b ew line for rental investment.....so far demand is vy good for ppty along ew line

Ew connects to city hall, raffles plc, tanjong pagar directly without changing trains and tats the main bulk of the pool of tenants

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    My choice wud b ew line for rental investment.....so far demand is vy good for ppty along ew line

Ew connects to city hall, raffles plc, tanjong pagar directly without changing trains and tats the main bulk of the pool of tenants
    That is true - however I would think most of those tenants stay in the eastern part (ie more popular) of the EW line? Maybe because of Easr Coast?

I think western part less popular but JLD could change that...

The MRT network and how they run it needs improvement.
    5-8 mins' wait during peak hours. Needs to be cut down to 2 mins.

Although there are more lines coming up, there's no express line, e.g. from airport to city. Not efficient use of resources to build so many MRT parallel lines. There are too many stops to get from far North/East/West to the city. They should be express lines to connect to the city. Something like Bangkok's express train from airport to city - takes only 17 mins to travel 29km (about the same distance between Jurong East MRT and Tanah Merah MRT). If we have a 9-min express service from JE MRT to town and TM to town, that would make people more willing to abandon their cars, and have more time to make babies.

SINGAPORE: MRT services on the Circle Line (CCL) between Dhoby Ghaut and Marymount stations were disrupted on Tuesday morning.

Operator SMRT said this is due to a power fault affecting the entire line preventing train services from starting.

Buses were deployed to provide bus bridging service to ferry affected passengers along the Circle Line stations.

The first bus arrived at Marymount station at 6.27am.

SMRT said train service between Bartley and Marymount in both directions resumed at around 8.00am and some 30 minutes later, the train service from Marymount to Paya Lebar and Dhoby Ghaut to Stadium resumed.

Dakota and Mountbatten are the only two stations still without service.

It said its engineers are currently trying to resolve the situation and resume service on the entire stretch as soon as possible.

The train operator advises passengers to take the bus bridging service to get to the MRT stations they want to go, or seek alternative transport arrangements.

It apologises to affected passengers for the inconvenience caused.

- CNA/fa/sf

Here we go again. Every few months, somewhere, a line must encounter technical difficulties. Well, when the other lines become operational in due course, then the frequency of breakdown might well increase further!

Looking on the bright side of things, breakdown is better than accident!