Thread: Prospects for S'pore landed homes

Default Prospects for S'pore landed homes

Business Times - 15 Sep 2011

Prospects for S'pore landed homes

ALAN CHEONG shares investment strategies for this property segment, which has seen larger price increases than non-landed homes
    THE Singapore landed residential market will always be a hot topic of discussion for many, from homebuyers to developers and policymakers. But the big question for investors would be whether it still pays to take a bet on landed property today. The outlook for the landed home market has to encompass an analysis of the broader residential market as a whole. It would be appropriate to first look at the longer term drivers of the residential property market.

Income
    A positive relationship exists between median income by housing type and the overall Urban Redevelopment Authority private property price index (URA PPI). Although the URA PPI increased more than median incomes last year, the market may not have strayed too far from fundamentals because while median incomes rose, average incomes rose even more.
    In real estate (or other investment markets), when prices are moving up, it is frequently those in the upper income brackets who set benchmarks. Hence, while median and average income growth may lag property price increases, in a rising market, it is the top 10 per cent by income level of the population who determine new transaction prices.

Supply and demand
    The supply for the entire private residential housing market, though high, is not too excessive. While the total supply, from 2011 to beyond 2015, numbers 87,242 units, if one were to subtract the units already sold, the number of unsold units is actually significantly lower. For 2012 to 2014, the units expected to be completed and currently unsold range from 2,299 to 9,329. This is significantly below the average new unit sales of about 12,000 from 2008 to 2010, although new supply is likely to be added from future government land sale sites.

Outlook
    In our liquidity charged environment, the ebb and flow of funds would cause volatility in investment markets. While fundamentals point to a relatively balanced outlook for the private property sector, short-term changes in sentiment may affect landed property demand and prices.
    Over the longer term, investing in landed properties has been rewarding as the following points show:

Outperformance in historical price performance over non-landed properties

From 1990 to Q2 2011, landed property prices have risen at a compounded rate of 6.2 per cent per annum for terraces; 6.8 per cent per annum for semi-detached homes; 7.6 per cent per annum for detached homes; and 9.2 per cent per annum for Good Class Bungalows (GCBs).
    As an investment, landed properties have performed better than condominiums and apartments, for which prices grew at 5.8 per cent per annum over the same period (see Figure 1).
    From this perspective alone, it pays to be exposed to landed properties.

Limited supply
    It is possible that the performance of landed properties will show a slight decoupling from that of non-landed properties, as the percentage of landed properties to total properties continues to fall further.
    In Q1 2005, 30.2 per cent of the total private housing stock was landed properties. By Q2 2011, this fell to 26.6 per cent. Of the known future supply of private residential properties in the pipeline, only 4.6 per cent are landed properties. This will dilute the total landed stock to about 21.1 per cent. Given such dynamics, the relative scarcity factor may create a micro-economy within the landed property segment.

Expectations
    Private residential property prices, especially those for landed properties, have proven to be more than a hedge against inflation over the years. While inflation grew by 1.84 per cent per annum from 2000 to June 2011, landed properties outperformed by a wide margin. If we were to go back to 1984, annual inflation has been 1.63 per cent per annum while prices of terrace, semi-detached and detached houses rose by 5.2 per cent, 5.4 per cent and 6.7 per cent respectively.
    The superior long-term price performance of landed properties would have been seared into the minds of more than a generation of investors. It would not be easy to change that behaviour, even if markets take a severe hit for a few quarters.
    In the short and medium term, there are other factors to consider.

Global events
    The less than ideal pro-tem resolution of the US debt crisis, Standard & Poor's downgrade of the US's AAA-rating, potential contagion arising from European sovereign debt issues and China's slowing economy are matters that no doubt weigh heavily on the minds of investors. After all, the private residential real estate market has been affected more by external shocks than internal events.
    If history is a guide, the short-term outlook for the landed residential market will be more dependent on what arises from the slew of sovereign debt related problems in the developed world. The jury is still out as to whether further monetary stimulus is in the offing (also known as QE3 or a variant of it) since government pump priming in the developed world is crimped by austerity measures.
    However, given the deficits confronting Western governments, it is clear that government stimuli is probably going to be limited this time round. Thus, the only tool left is monetary policy. Should the system be flooded with another burst of liquidity, higher inflation may take root in the medium to longer term.
    In a liquidity charged environment, residential prices may be subject to greater volatility, but as property is a hedge against inflation, it should benefit from higher inflationary expectations.

Domestic policy intervention
    Domestic policies curbing real estate speculation have had either no historical precedence in bringing down private landed properties prices or the effect is unclear, being clouded by external events just after they were introduced. For example, the May 1996 anti-speculation measures had a mixed effect on various housing types and the end result was unclear because the Asian financial crisis happened not long after its introduction.

Investment strategy
    Figure 2 shows the price sensitivity of the various landed housing types to the overall URA PPI. The percentages on the y-axis mean that for terraces, a one per cent rise or fall in the URA PPI would lead to a 0.92 per cent rise or fall in the prices for terraces. For GCBs, the sensitivity is greatest with a one per cent change in the URA PPI leading to a 2.22 per cent change in the price of GCBs.
    This price sensitivity has implications for different groups of investors. For an investor who does not want to time the market, but wants to gain exposure to the landed property market, buying terraces would allow him some downside protection should the market suffer negatively from the recent spate of global events. That investor would, however, still benefit from long-term price appreciation - an annualised 6.2 per cent compounded growth rate from 1990 to Q2 2011 - higher than the 5.8 per cent for apartments and condominiums.
    Buying detached homes, and especially GCBs, gives the highest returns. And if one were to time the market, returns would be even greater. However, this means that if the investor is wrong about the duration and severity of a downturn, he can be penalised because a one per cent decline in the URA PPI should similarly lead to a 1.2 per cent and 2.2 per cent fall in overall detached and GCB prices. Should the investor time the investment right, the rewards will match the risks.

The writer is associate director of Savills Research & Consultancy

Default Swings

It is true. Landed goes up faster, and also goes down faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Localite
    It is true. Landed goes up faster, and also goes down faster.
    Forgot to attach the pics referred to in article. I think what the writer is saying is that the volatilty specifically applies to GCBs and to some extent Detached. Terraces and semi-D have almost the same sensitivity (downside risk) as condos whilst still having better long-run price increases than condos or apts.

Last edited by proper-t; 15-09-11 at 10:27.

Can really feel it in the last few years as a lot of houses have been bought and being rebuild around my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Forgot to attach the pics referred to in article. I think what the writer is saying is that the volatilty specifically applies to GCBs and to some extent Detached. Terraces and semi-D have almost the same sensitivity (downside risk) as condos whilst still having better long-run price increases than condos or apts.

demand and supply...., scarity in % terms...., Landed Huat!

Drive straight into house..., no need parking label.

Default Landed properties still outperforming

URA Q3 2011 statistics show that the landed segment grew 2.4% with terrace houses growing 3.9% vs 2.1% growth for OCR non-landed and overall private property price growth of 1.3% Qtr-on-Qtr. Looks like landed especially terrace houses still powering ahead... with people still chasing their landed dreams.

Think many landed owners are holding on tightly to their prized assets (similar to the HDB story) and asking high or benchmark prices if they do sell. Even original houses in OCR and LH99 houses asking for $900-$1k psf on land.

Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn
    URA Q3 2011 statistics show that the landed segment grew 2.4% with terrace houses growing 3.9% vs 2.1% growth for OCR non-landed and overall private property price growth of 1.3% Qtr-on-Qtr. Looks like landed especially terrace houses still powering ahead... with people still chasing their landed dreams.

Think many landed owners are holding on tightly to their prized assets (similar to the HDB story) and asking high or benchmark prices if they do sell. Even original houses in OCR and LH99 houses asking for $900-$1k psf on land.
    The story for landed is worse. Absolutely very limited supply for freehold/999 years landed and unlimited demand. Singapore being a small little island, a little red dot, such landed will definitely appreciate over time. It just a matter of how much and in which location!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman
    The story for landed is worse. Absolutely very limited supply for freehold/999 years landed and unlimited demand. Singapore being a small little island, a little red dot, such landed will definitely appreciate over time. It just a matter of how much and in which location!
    Demand and supply dictates. No brainer, will UP over time especially for 999 & FH.., just that some people say it's not their cup of tea to stay even if they claim they can afford it...

But in terms of asset appreciation, a Condo would move up faster as there is the potential of old units going en bloc and no restrictions. Even for a LH .

I am just wondering if the data provided is abit skewed as the price rise is restricted to Singaporean buyers and PRs.

And many are indeed very careful with their money.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    But in terms of asset appreciation, a Condo would move up faster as there is the potential of old units going en bloc and no restrictions. Even for a LH .

I am just wondering if the data provided is abit skewed as the price rise is restricted to Singaporean buyers and PRs.

And many are indeed very careful with their money.
    Data source of 20 years is from URA..., should be correct....

Landed property around my area has gone up at least 30% in the last 3 years. The figure is quite correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Data source of 20 years is from URA..., should be correct....

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Landed property around my area has gone up at least 30% in the last 3 years. The figure is quite correct.
    Since 07, my area almost doubled based on land only. So agree that the figure is quite ok.

so little meh? only 10%/yr???

even sembawang landed up by 50% since late 2009

"AT LEAST" just conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    so little meh? only 10%/yr???

even sembawang landed up by 50% since late 2009

Ya, easily 80-100% in last 3 years. One of my property has double in the last 3 years..

Again, please don make the wrong moves. We might not know the future, but we have past data to backup.

Terrace house PPI:

no wonder i feeling so poor!!

nvr own any landed

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    Again, please don make the wrong moves. We might not know the future, but we have past data to backup.
    Nice chart, '01-'06, landed really hibernating..., those who bought Q1'09, really boom big time...got a friend...Q1'09, when everyone was jittery, bought landed to stay and rented out his condo.., best timing...; his place also about doubled...

Is your property in the west? Chart shows PPI West shot up close to double.
    Ya, easily 80-100% in last 3 years. One of my property has double in the last 3 years..

Is your property in the west? Chart shows PPI West shot up close to double.
    Got 2 in the NE..; actually all areas also up...

Have consider landed then but did not go in as rental yield was lower. Prefer landed for own stay.
    Got 2 in the NE..; actually all areas also up...

Have consider landed then but did not go in as rental yield was lower. Prefer landed for own stay.
    haha we all shortsighted lar... blinded by shitty yield. I also thought since so young buy landed only for retirement and cost for maintenance also higher..haiz

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    haha we all shortsighted lar... blinded by shitty yield. I also thought since so young buy landed only for retirement and cost for maintenance also higher..haiz
    yah one of my colleague who is staying in a landed told me that landed maintenance very high.. says this and that.. luckily never listen to her as I know she is on the -ve side... I breifly calculated the saving on parking/conservancy charges per month, should be ok lah...

Yields are ok lah. I am getting over 3% gross for my landed. The great thing is don't have to pay maintenance so net yield tends to be better. Recently, demand for lease of landed has been quite strong. I put one up for lease two weeks ago and had a lot of interest. Just signed off on the TA.

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Yields are ok lah. I am getting over 3% gross for my landed. The great thing is don't have to pay maintenance so net yield tends to be better. Recently, demand for lease of landed has been quite strong. I put one up for lease two weeks ago and had a lot of interest. Just signed off on the TA.
    bro....which area? 3% yield is fantastic if based on current value

District 15. Rented out to U.S. couple