Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freehold Penthouse vs Leasehold landed, your choice?

Default Freehold Penthouse vs Leasehold landed, your choice?

Which is a wiser choice? I realised that some FH PH moreover it is apartment status cost even higher than LH landed.

No need to think, easily FH penthouse.

To me even LH penthouse is higher on the list than LH landed.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit

Wow, I still got a lot to learn! What about freehold penthouse vs freehold landed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Montaigne
    Wow, I still got a lot to learn! What about freehold penthouse vs freehold landed then?
    This is just my own view only lah....

For landed there are a few kinds, Inter-Terr, Corner-Terr, Semi-Di, Detached.

Assuming both same location and FH, my opinion is the Penthouse beat the Inter-Terr, tie with Corner-Terr but lose to Semi-Di and above.

My 2

Agree.
    Somehow 99LH landed seems to be least preferred.

This is just my own view only lah....

For landed there are a few kinds, Inter-Terr, Corner-Terr, Semi-Di, Detached.

Assuming both same location and FH, my opinion is the Penthouse beat the Inter-Terr, tie with Corner-Terr but lose to Semi-Di and above.

My 2
    After reading this comment, I realised that the question I posted becomes stupid haha, I should have changed to FH PH vs FH landed lol

FH Landed is more likely to be able to preserved as compared to FH PH. It depends what you want.
    After reading this comment, I realised that the question I posted becomes stupid haha, I should have changed to FH PH vs FH landed lol

I will definitely go for FH landed.
    To me, landed must be FH or 999 years.
    And it cannot be strata.

For PH or condo, i won't want to pay the premium for FH.
    So if it is condo, i won't bother so much whether it is LH or FH.
    The location of the condo is of the utmost importance to me.

My main deciding factor was family. If your kids are young then maybe freehold penthouse - avoid overhead of landed maintenance and kids can use the condo facilities. Usually condo may be well located in terms of amenities.
    Otherwise, go for landed. Enjoy the laid back lifestyle and nurturing your garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Santro
    My main deciding factor was family. If your kids are young then maybe freehold penthouse - avoid overhead of landed maintenance and kids can use the condo facilities. Usually condo may be well located in terms of amenities.
    Otherwise, go for landed. Enjoy the laid back lifestyle and nurturing your garden.
    Having stayed in both, my observations are that landed maintenance tend to be lower than a penthouse's maintenance. (of course this is a general statement)

Usually the penthouse's share value is much higher than the other regular units' causing owners to pay disproportionately higher conservancy fees even though they may have the same or less occupants.

The advantage for landed is that most maintenance matters are at your sole discretion. For example, if you are low on funds you can hold out painting your house or doing your own gardening.

However, one point to note is that Penthouses are the top of the heap in their respective condos, whereas for the same price and location landed you may be at the bottom rung (again a general statement)

Good to know someone who has experience in both.
    What would your advise be between condo and landed instead of penthouse and landed .I agree on your comment that penthouse maintenance or even for that matter ground floor unit with patio will have a much higher conservancy charges than the others.

Having stayed in both, my observations are that landed maintenance tend to be lower than a penthouse's maintenance. (of course this is a general statement)

Usually the penthouse's share value is much higher than the other regular units' causing owners to pay disproportionately higher conservancy fees even though they may have the same or less occupants.

The advantage for landed is that most maintenance matters are at your sole discretion. For example, if you are low on funds you can hold out painting your house or doing your own gardening.

However, one point to note is that Penthouses are the top of the heap in their respective condos, whereas for the same price and location landed you may be at the bottom rung (again a general statement)

SOme FH penthouse, super run down.
    Some LH landed, super crowded.
    FH n LH don't matter as long as location is good.

Penthouse are for show offs, if u r not king there, dun go buy.
    LH landed are for down to earth people.
    I buy penthouses over LH landed as security and privacy may be a issue.

how do corner terraces and semi-ds differ in terms of price psf?

No kids, only me and partner

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    SOme FH penthouse, super run down.
    Some LH landed, super crowded.
    FH n LH don't matter as long as location is good.

Penthouse are for show offs, if u r not king there, dun go buy.
    LH landed are for down to earth people.
    I buy penthouses over LH landed as security and privacy may be a issue.
    I would think otherwise, I think LH landed are for show offs. For those die die want to live in landed yet cannot afford FH landed.

PH got wat maintenance? No need to fix gate, pests issues right? I agree with your last statement!

PH got wat maintenance? No need to fix gate, pests issues right? I agree with your last statement!
    Apologies, what I meant was that Penthouse tend to pay more for maintenance due to higher share value.

As for the physical maintenance of the property, I find the only maintenace that is physically more is the garden. It is however also surprisingly theurapetic, even watering the plants also quite shiok. But if you are too busy for the garden you can pay the gardening uncle to do the gardening for you (I think every landed estate has a gardening uncle)

My Penthouse also has a rooftop patio that has potted plants and potted trees(Frangipanis) but somehow the feeling a bit different.

Just my views

I would think otherwise, I think LH landed are for show offs. For those die die want to live in landed yet cannot afford FH landed.
    When I say penthouses, it's referring to super penthouses, not one bedder, two bedder or three bedder. It's really show off there when it's LH and yet cost more than FH. One unit in whole development. Not king then what it is?

Landed are those small landed, not super GCB. I will agree if u say GCB are for showoffs.

To decide, it's all about space and design. If both cost 1.2 million, same size. I would go for LH landed rather than FH penthouses if LH is on one floor and penthouses on two.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    When I say penthouses, it's referring to super penthouses, not one bedder, two bedder or three bedder. It's really show off there when it's LH and yet cost more than FH. One unit in whole development. Not king then what it is?

Landed are those small landed, not super GCB. I will agree if u say GCB are for showoffs.

To decide, it's all about space and design. If both cost 1.2 million, same size. I would go for LH landed rather than FH penthouses if LH is on one floor and penthouses on two.
    Then u may as well buy one floor freehold condo since LH landed is least prefered.

Then u may as well buy one floor freehold condo since LH landed is least prefered.
    Yup, but answering ur question.

Good to know someone who has experience in both.
    What would your advise be between condo and landed instead of penthouse and landed .I agree on your comment that penthouse maintenance or even for that matter ground floor unit with patio will have a much higher conservancy charges than the others.
    Haha.. I am not qualified to advise, just sharing my view.

I think if you trim the variables and keep pricing, location and tenure the same, you may find the condo to be more attractive. For example with $1.8M, you get only entry level FH landed(may still need another few hundred K of A&A). But with the same amount you can get a pretty decent FH Condo.

Penthouses or landed appeals to different people or even the same people but at different junctures of their lives. I used to want to stay in landed but when kids came along, I decided condos and in due time would love to stay in penthouses! LOL! All got pros and cons! No best deal for everybody but just for individuals.

Maintenance cost of landed is lower than a penthouse of the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Maintenance cost of landed is lower than a penthouse of the same area.
    PH pay maint fee to maintain their common area vs landed owners upkeep on their own

more work for landed owners to clean their homes without a maid

electricity bills cud be higher for landed too

basically u goto pay for the bigger space u own

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    PH pay maint fee to maintain their common area vs landed owners upkeep on their own

more work for landed owners to clean their homes without a maid

electricity bills cud be higher for landed too

basically u goto pay for the bigger space u own
    so for lazy people go for PH? I also think landed higher cleaniless maintenance.

so for lazy people go for PH? I also think landed higher cleaniless maintenance.
    definitely higher running cost for landed lor....landed cfm nid a full time maid whereas PH still can manage with just a part time maid

All else being constant, keeping a landed is more expensive than keeping a PH. The electrical bill of keeping a larger space when using a/c and cleaning up the property will probably work out to be more than the maintenance cost of a PH.

Thats true. Another factor is ease of selling or renting out. Guess landed would be more challenging than condo/pent houses.

Haha.. I am not qualified to advise, just sharing my view.

I think if you trim the variables and keep pricing, location and tenure the same, you may find the condo to be more attractive. For example with $1.8M, you get only entry level FH landed(may still need another few hundred K of A&A). But with the same amount you can get a pretty decent FH Condo.

Nowaday condo's come with high ceilings too - eg Trizon. You end up paying for more air space as this pushes up the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    All else being constant, keeping a landed is more expensive than keeping a PH. The electrical bill of keeping a larger space when using a/c and cleaning up the property will probably work out to be more than the maintenance cost of a PH.

PH has a higher snob factor. Doesn't matter how much you paid for your PH or how it compares with other properties. Once you are back in your Condo, when you press the button for the highest floor in the lift, clearly you are in the top range in your estate.

The kind of landed that I can afford, I feel like I am living in a kampung(not that it is a bad thing).

As for maintenance cost, my experience is that my utiliity bills are about the same for both landed and PH after I did away with my feature pond. Most rooms including living and dining rooms have ceiling fans which don't look weird in a landed. But somehow in a PH, ceiling fans seem quite out-of-place and I used the A/C more frequently. So far the only thing that I am paying for is pest control.