Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparing the locations (for landed houses, and condos)

Default Comparing the locations (for landed houses, and condos)

Hi everyone,

I would like to know how different locations compare in terms of prices (and why), and also, your opinions on the pros and cons of each of them. In particular I would like to compare locations in D9/10/11, D15, D19 (maybe D12/13/14?) and anywhere else you deem fit. Note that I used the word "location" because "districts" cover a big area thus it is not wise to make any generalisations regarding the whole district.

Landed properties and condos can be discussed separately if necessary.

I've been looking to buy a landed property for some time now (in D15's Mountbatten Rd area especially) so it would be great if you could let me know your opinions on it!

Cheers

Hi Clemdale,

I've enjoyed reading your posts!

I personally favour Bukit Timah. Not sure what your budget is like, but do take a look especially at these areas if you can:

University Road/ Kheam Hock/ Trevose Rd - Good choice of everything from terrace houses to bungalows. Its one of those few locations where the terrace houses are located deeper in and you have to drive through the more expensive parts with bigger plots along University Road to get to them. Very Quiet and serene after you walk 100m in from the main road. Lifestylewise, there is Botannic Gardens nearby, Coronation Plaza (for good ol NTUC), the future Botannic Gardens MRT station (which will be an interchange station - Circle and DTL). 1-2km from Nanyang Primary (and RGPS/SCGS i think). Close to Orchard Road. Good exclusive feel. Cannot see tall buildings nearby generally. Near entrance of PIE. Near SICC.

I generally prefer those on Dunearn Rd side compared to the Bukit Timah side of the road. I feel that those along BukitTimah side like Duchess Rd have a more "crowded" feel to it, with more Condos and commercial buildings on that side of the road. Those near Nanyang are super-expensive. Don't quite appreciate the value there.

As for those further up Bukit Timah like Vanda, Namly, or even Sian Tuan and Hua Guan. Already considered "far" from Orchard by some. But lots of Value here i think. Especially with the upcoming Downtown Line coming up, these landed properties will be close to an MRT station, but with no noise pollution cos everything is underground. Trust me, this stretch is gonna boom in the future. Very few landed estates can claim to be exclusive, yet be close to good schools and MRT all in the same breath. This is the only stretch i can see in the next 15 years. Already the condos there like Maplewoods and The Sterling are benefiting. This area is worth considering, esp since i gather from your other posts that you are looking around the price range of Meyer/ Jalan Seaview. Maybe we can be neighbours haha! Am already looking around this area for myself....

Cheers, hope this helps

An interesting view point on value landed buys near the maplewoods area. It's true the jams should ease after the completion of the MRT and it has a more exclusive feel, perhaps due to the lush greenery, compared to the jalan seaview area.

The vanda area is too expensive (ie: around $1500psf) but but there is still value west of sixth ave. eg:hua guan area. Current prices of Hua guan should be similar to the jalan seaview area but the latter is in a superior location mostly due to to marina bay. Hua guan is really not that near to orchard and comparatively far from the financial district. So it's a case of exclusivity vs location.

Quote Originally Posted by bricksnmortar
    Hi Clemdale,

I've enjoyed reading your posts!

I personally favour Bukit Timah. Not sure what your budget is like, but do take a look especially at these areas if you can:

University Road/ Kheam Hock/ Trevose Rd - Good choice of everything from terrace houses to bungalows. Its one of those few locations where the terrace houses are located deeper in and you have to drive through the more expensive parts with bigger plots along University Road to get to them. Very Quiet and serene after you walk 100m in from the main road. Lifestylewise, there is Botannic Gardens nearby, Coronation Plaza (for good ol NTUC), the future Botannic Gardens MRT station (which will be an interchange station - Circle and DTL). 1-2km from Nanyang Primary (and RGPS/SCGS i think). Close to Orchard Road. Good exclusive feel. Cannot see tall buildings nearby generally. Near entrance of PIE. Near SICC.

I generally prefer those on Dunearn Rd side compared to the Bukit Timah side of the road. I feel that those along BukitTimah side like Duchess Rd have a more "crowded" feel to it, with more Condos and commercial buildings on that side of the road. Those near Nanyang are super-expensive. Don't quite appreciate the value there.

As for those further up Bukit Timah like Vanda, Namly, or even Sian Tuan and Hua Guan. Already considered "far" from Orchard by some. But lots of Value here i think. Especially with the upcoming Downtown Line coming up, these landed properties will be close to an MRT station, but with no noise pollution cos everything is underground. Trust me, this stretch is gonna boom in the future. Very few landed estates can claim to be exclusive, yet be close to good schools and MRT all in the same breath. This is the only stretch i can see in the next 15 years. Already the condos there like Maplewoods and The Sterling are benefiting. This area is worth considering, esp since i gather from your other posts that you are looking around the price range of Meyer/ Jalan Seaview. Maybe we can be neighbours haha! Am already looking around this area for myself....

Cheers, hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by chho
    An interesting view point on value landed buys near the maplewoods area. It's true the jams should ease after the completion of the MRT and it has a more exclusive feel, perhaps due to the lush greenery, compared to the jalan seaview area.

The vanda area is too expensive (ie: around $1500psf) but but there is still value west of sixth ave. eg:hua guan area. Current prices of Hua guan should be similar to the jalan seaview area but the latter is in a superior location mostly due to to marina bay. Hua guan is really not that near to orchard and comparatively far from the financial district. So it's a case of exclusivity vs location.
    If u like D10, i think areas around botantic garden is very nice. Orange did a very good sharing on d9-11. For reference read link below. Personally i like tanglin area , Grange and stretch to farrer for condo. Landed wise, nothing beats clunny hill to queen astrid park region. Landed around d10 near botantic garden is the best. Quiet,serene and damn good air quality.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...t=10455&page=7

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    If u like D10, i think areas around botantic garden is very nice. Orange did a very good sharing on d9-11. For reference read link below. Personally i like tanglin area , Grange and stretch to farrer for condo. Landed wise, nothing beats clunny hill to queen astrid park region. Landed around d10 near botantic garden is the best. Quiet,serene and damn good air quality.

landed near greenary will haf mozzie problems?

Thanks for the info, chho and bricksnmortar.

I wasn't familiar with the bukit timah area so I google-mapped it :P Are you sure Hua Guan is similar in price to Jalan Seaview? Because to me JS's location is way better than that of HG, which like you said is relatively far from the CBD. In terms of exclusivity - if u want exclusivity, why not look at somewhere like Seletar for it? :P why pay so much for HG? (Also, if someone could confirm jalan seaview's current price that would be awesome. My understanding is that it's somewhere between $1200-1500 psf currently.)

Bricksnmortar: Which area did you say you are currently looking at? Didn't quite get you in your post lol

Last question: Where does "Upper Bukit Timah" refer to? Sorry like i said im quite clueless about the BT area...

Haha. I agree with the seletar part. it's always location, location, location. The last transacted price for jln seaview was $1147 psf in Jan 2011, surprisingly quite similar to hua guan ave. Upper bukit timah refers to the cheng soon/toh tuck area for landed.

Quote Originally Posted by clemdale

I wasn't familiar with the bukit timah area so I google-mapped it :P Are you sure Hua Guan is similar in price to Jalan Seaview? Because to me JS's location is way better than that of HG, which like you said is relatively far from the CBD. In terms of exclusivity - if u want exclusivity, why not look at somewhere like Seletar for it? :P why pay so much for HG? (Also, if someone could confirm jalan seaview's current price that would be awesome. My understanding is that it's somewhere between $1200-1500 psf currently.)

Bricksnmortar: Which area did you say you are currently looking at? Didn't quite get you in your post lol

Last question: Where does "Upper Bukit Timah" refer to? Sorry like i said im quite clueless about the BT area...

Anytime bro.

I am looking around the Hua Guan area and the areas west of 6th Avenue. Price is around $1100-1300 for land alone, semi-D wise. So its comparable to your Jalan Seaview area.

Agreed its not as convenient as Jalan Seaview. You'll probably end up buying one there. But its all subjective. I like the greenery of Bukit Timah and the exclusivity. And its gonna be nearer the schools my children will be going to. I think if you are buying with schoolgoing children in mind, proximity to their schools is a real big plus point.

Wow Orange's article is extremely informative. Is he the ceo for orange-T???

The tanglin area is the best Singapore has to offer for landed housing. The only problem is that there are only GCBs within the tanglin precinct!

Cluny road in tanglin currently holds the record price transacted for GCBs (ie:> $2000psf). Queen Astrid park is further out in the Bukit Timah precinct. There are only 4 main Gcb zones in Tanglin precinct namely Nassim/whitehouse park/cluny road; Chatsworth/bishopsgate; pierce rd/swettenham rd; cluny hill/gallop park. Best of the best. Better start saving...

Feel free to offer your expert opinion orange. really appreciate your input.

The tanglin area is the best Singapore has to offer for landed housing. The only problem is that there are only GCBs within the tanglin precinct!

Cluny road in tanglin currently holds the record price transacted for GCBs (ie:> $2000psf). Queen Astrid park is further out in the Bukit Timah precinct. There are only 4 main Gcb zones in Tanglin precinct namely Nassim/whitehouse park/cluny road; Chatsworth/bishopsgate; pierce rd/swettenham rd; cluny hill/gallop park. Best of the best. Better start saving...

How to save up enuff for gcbs?

Bricksnmortar, university rd site not near RGPS/NYPS lah. SCGS only.
    Duchess side not so expensive what ? Cheaper than university rd I think. Duchess side houses can really walk to Hwa Chong MRT in 5 mins, NTUC in 5 mins, very very convenient. Vry hard to have FH landed exclusive and yet near MRT.
    For this stretch I prefer bt timah side, because can avoid the jam on bt timah rd itself, since u can get out from farrer. Also the MRT entrance is at this side I think.

been doing some driving around these area recently. Its out of the world, doesnt feel like Singapore. Tucked in lush greenery, senerity, great air quality, minimum traffice flow, yet 10 mins from all the hype and glam of " NEW ORCHARD ROAD".

There is no way to save up for these houses.

Of course there is no way to save up for tanglin GCBs. I was just day dreaming.

I just drove around the area last weekend too. Do you know that the Tanglin area and a some parts of mountbatten road are the only places in Singapore where you can find the iconic Conservation Black and White houses? They are mostly built as residences or barracks for the british in the early 1900s in the midst of mature huge trees. The ones off ridley park road are awesome! Don't think they are even for sale though. Government-linked property companies own most of them, I think.

been doing some driving around these area recently. Its out of the world, doesnt feel like Singapore. Tucked in lush greenery, senerity, great air quality, minimum traffice flow, yet 10 mins from all the hype and glam of " NEW ORCHARD ROAD".

There is no way to save up for these houses.

The University road area is within 2 km of RGPS/NYPS. Duchess definitely cheaper than university, for a very good reason. It's true you can cut through Farrer road to get to Duchess but the prestige primary school there totally ruins the residential ambience of the area. The number of cars driven by Kiasu parents with screaming kids during certain times of the day are enough to turn off the most enthusiastic bukit timah house hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Duchess side not so expensive what ? Cheaper than university rd I think. Duchess side houses can really walk to Hwa Chong MRT in 5 mins, NTUC in 5 mins, very very convenient. Vry hard to have FH landed exclusive and yet near MRT.
    For this stretch I prefer bt timah side, because can avoid the jam on bt timah rd itself, since u can get out from farrer. Also the MRT entrance is at this side I think.

I am looking at D13 near the Potong Pasir mrt, 5 mins walk to mrt landed property. It's more affordable as some of them the quantum is not so huge as land size is not too big but freehold and near to mrt, city fringe, preferably corner terrace as the lighting is better compared to inter-terrace. St Andrew's village is just across the road. PAP has taken over this district so hopefully to see some positive changes in the Bidadari Park area soon.

I'm glad to see much discussion on Bukit Timah.. but any opinions on other districts - 15, 19 etc? How about novena (not sure what district - is it 11?)

I'm not familiar with D13 (Potong Pasir) at all, apart knowing that its quite near the city haha.. hmm

Quote Originally Posted by doraemon1
    I am looking at D13 near the Potong Pasir mrt, 5 mins walk to mrt landed property. It's more affordable as some of them the quantum is not so huge as land size is not too big but freehold and near to mrt, city fringe, preferably corner terrace as the lighting is better compared to inter-terrace. St Andrew's village is just across the road. PAP has taken over this district so hopefully to see some positive changes in the Bidadari Park area soon.

Bro,

You are right that Duchess side is closer to MRT and more convenient. But also feels a lot more "crowded" and busy than the University Road side. University Road a lot more lush and exclusive feeling. Not so many commercial buildings/ schools/ condos as Duchess side.

Farrer Road is also very busy i feel. But yes, good to have many entrances and exit points. But when the new D-Leedon condo comes up and towers over everyone at 30+ storeys, i think that area will feel even less private.

Quote Originally Posted by amk

Quote Originally Posted by bricksnmortar
    Bro,

You are right that Duchess side is closer to MRT and more convenient. But also feels a lot more "crowded" and busy than the University Road side. University Road a lot more lush and exclusive feeling. Not so many commercial buildings/ schools/ condos as Duchess side.

Farrer Road is also very busy i feel. But yes, good to have many entrances and exit points. But when the new D-Leedon condo comes up and towers over everyone at 30+ storeys, i think that area will feel even less private.
    with a few en bloc development happening in the area, n a MRT opening up soon there, the area definatly is seeing alot of action. Got a strong feeling Tulip Garden will go thru after they reduce their asking price. Its a reasonable price at good location.

D leedon n Leedon Heights new launch will tower the area definitely, its is also bring higher selling price to the area i have observed.

This is a good area. Do not get any houses along Wan Tho ave and closer to Cedar. You will be woken up by the traffic in the early morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by doraemon1

interestingly the prices there have not gone up that much yet, any idea why? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    This is a good area. Do not get any houses along Wan Tho ave and closer to Cedar. You will be woken up by the traffic in the early morning.
    How is this area for landed compared to D23 - Cashew or Hazel Park terraces?

Thanks!

This is nearer to city. There is great potential of growth in the nearby park. I will bet on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGP
    How is this area for landed compared to D23 - Cashew or Hazel Park terraces?

Thanks!

Novena square is in D12 but the IRAS office across the road is in D11. So the closest landed estate there is the gentle road mixed landed estate which consist of mostly semi-ds and terraces. If you go further north you will find the chancery road landed area, where there is a law suit going on between some psychiatrist's relatives and his mistress over a $7m semi-d, which is more lush, less congested the more residential.

Not that familiar with landed in D19 but serangoon gardens is where you can find Chomp Chomp, all the major banks and facilities. It is the focal point of the area so you want to stay near but not too near to the focal point, I guess. It is a nice little enclave with the "village" feel with nice people but getting in and out of the place via CTE is quite a nightmare during busy hours especially. Think the landed properties in the good parts of Serangoon gardens go for slightly more than $1000psf brand new. Quite expensive. Might as well aim for an old house in bukit timah.

I'm glad to see much discussion on Bukit Timah.. but any opinions on other districts - 15, 19 etc? How about novena (not sure what district - is it 11?)

I'm not familiar with D13 (Potong Pasir) at all, apart knowing that its quite near the city haha.. hmm

Unfortunately, it is getting crowded near Chomp Chomp area with the increasing traffic volume. See the article in the Strait Times on traffic pollutant on health by a NUS study.
    Novena square is in D12 but the IRAS office across the road is in D11. So the closest landed estate there is the gentle road mixed landed estate which consist of mostly semi-ds and terraces. If you go further north you will find the chancery road landed area, where there is a law suit going on between some psychiatrist's relatives and his mistress over a $7m semi-d, which is more lush, less congested the more residential.

Not that familiar with landed in D19 but serangoon gardens is where you can find Chomp Chomp, all the major banks and facilities. It is the focal point of the area so you want to stay near but not too near to the focal point, I guess. It is a nice little enclave with the "village" feel with nice people but getting in and out of the place via CTE is quite a nightmare during busy hours especially. Think the landed properties in the good parts of Serangoon gardens go for slightly more than $1000psf brand new. Quite expensive. Might as well aim for an old house in bukit timah.

Ahh yes I just google mapped it. The area is very nice, both Gentle Rd and Chancery Rd. Btw I think the $7m house is a detached, not semi-d, from what I can tell on google map.. haha. How do the prices (in terms of psf) of this Novena area compare to that of D15 Meyer Rd/Jalan Seaview? I'm trying to compare and contrast and weigh up all my options.

As for serangoon gardens (D19) my understanding is that it's slightly cheaper than JS? Its a nice area too, though a little further away from the city compared to novena and jalan seaview.

Ahh yes I just google mapped it. The area is very nice, both Gentle Rd and Chancery Rd. Btw I think the $7m house is a detached, not semi-d, from what I can tell on google map.. haha. How do the prices (in terms of psf) of this Novena area compare to that of D15 Meyer Rd/Jalan Seaview? I'm trying to compare and contrast and weigh up all my options.

As for serangoon gardens (D19) my understanding is that it's slightly cheaper than JS? Its a nice area too, though a little further away from the city compared to novena and jalan seaview.
    Ura website is always a good starting point to compare prices and moniter movement
    http://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateWeb/...Controller.jpf

Interestingly the price on psf is about 1500 to 1800 in D11
    Whereas the ave price for D 15 is now a ' standard' 1000 psf (mainly for older landed proeprty that needs renovation)
    Also note the number of transactions. There are at least 4 times more transaction in D 15 than D 11 in June. That tells you where you can find 'supply' in landed properties

The chancery area will be more expensive than Jln seaview. One is close to Orchard road, the other Marina Bay. Quite subjective but i think Jln seaview is a good safe entry point for a semi-d in a prime location. It has more infrastructure development near it than the former. With the up and coming MRT and the progressive building up of Marina Bay, there will be sustainable support for the value of the property. Serangoon gardens in the suburbs is comparatively over priced, perhaps due to strong "local area demand".

Btw just did some check. The $7m house is at 5 chancery hill. It's a huge semi-d...

$1500 to $1800 is the prices recorded for the best part of D11. In an apple to apple comparison, D15 (goodman/wilkinson/broadrick) area is transacting at about 10% to 15% lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Duku
    Interestingly the price on psf is about 1500 to 1800 in D11
    Whereas the ave price for D 15 is now a ' standard' 1000 psf (mainly for older landed proeprty that needs renovation)
    Also note the number of transactions. There are at least 4 times more transaction in D 15 than D 11 in June. That tells you where you can find 'supply' in landed properties

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    This is nearer to city. There is great potential of growth in the nearby park. I will bet on this one.
    Hi DC33_2008,

Thanks for sharing my sentiment on D13, Senett Estate.Could you share with me why you would bet on this one then? you may pm me if you wish to. Thanks!!

I too think there is future great potential in the plot of land (Bidadari Park meaning fairy/nymph park). I think new roads would be paved to ease traffic, commercial and residential buildings be built. This place is very accessible via PIE connected to KPE and CTE, also near city. The Woodleigh and Potong Pasir stations are so close which means the government has planned for this place to be densely populated in future. The Stamford American School will open in 2012 near Woodleigh mrt. PAP has taken over in recent election so believe they would do something positive in this district. Friends who stay in D19, Kovan and have children studying in Bukit Timah would say how they wish they can stay at least in Potong Pasir as in the morning it greatly cut down their travel time. Though in SG, in the morning, traffic is slow in many roads. Some units in Senett Estate are smaller so quantum is more digestible. Many people overlook this place as it is formerly under Worker's Party. These are my views. D19, Kovan where I stay, not to talk about Serangoon Gardens is getting crowded with Kovan Residences TOP, many boutique condos, cluster housing popping up here and there. Developers buy land and rebuild into many smaller units or buy a semi-D land then use that land to rebuild into 2 semi-Ds to sell here.