Thread: I just don't get strata houses

Default I just don't get strata houses

Hi Guys,

Can i just qualify this by saying its strictly my own personal opinion and i mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone - I just don't understand the idea of buying a strata house.

Reasons:
    1. Problems with neighbours.... they share common space with you. One of the nice things of landed is that your own space is your own space. No such thing as common space to fight over.
    2. Cannot rebuild. Need approval from whole Management committee to even change part of external facade.
    3. Pay maintenance. I understand there are nice facilities in some. In others, what facilities are there to talk of? But really, the pools are often so small and there aren't like big playgrounds for kids or BBQ pits or tennis courts.
    4. Expensive. Pay $$$ and always based on psf built up. Not on land.
    5. For bungalows and Semi-Ds, they are all so close to each other. No guidelines on setback. How to relax in the garden without neighbours seeing everything you're doing or even worse, listening to all you're saying?

Anyhows, don't mean to gripe. But really, too many strata houses coming up all over the island for my liking. One day, i'm sure there'll be a newspaper article about the problems of this type of housing....

I believe it may hf a market for those who upgrade from condo lor....they so used to strata living n yet wanahf a taste of landed ?

Must have demand for it den developer keep building rite?

Jus like the debate abt mm....so many bad points n yet great demand now

Some people don't qualify to own landed so resort to strata houses where at least they can write in to relevant authorities to seek permission.

There are always demand for different private housing types from GCB to mm studios which caters to different people/families. One other appeal factor which places strata houses above landed is the cash required. For eg, a cluster house costing $2.5m vs. a semi D costing $2.2m with similar build up but usually cluster houses require less cash for reno while semi d may well require another $150k for a decent reno which is needed in cash! This is also just my opinion!

I think cluster house is cheaper than an equivalent landed in the same district.

Maybe will also entice those who have $2-2.5mil in cash who is looking at condo ..but suddenly find that for the same money, can buy a very big house. So they are not looking at land per se.. they are actually just looking at buying a condo but now with bigger sqft.

cluster housing:- landed version of MMs

same story... it's about affordability....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    cluster housing:- landed version of MMs

same story... it's about affordability....
    They are not exactly MM in terms of size and price.
    Cluster are for condo lovers upgraders
    Great for those who prefer not to work on their garden and maintence.
    But you give up privacy and exclusivity and more importantly freedom to 'modify ' your house.

Quote Originally Posted by bricksnmortar
    Hi Guys,

Can i just qualify this by saying its strictly my own personal opinion and i mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone - I just don't understand the idea of buying a strata house.

Reasons:
    1. Problems with neighbours.... they share common space with you. One of the nice things of landed is that your own space is your own space. No such thing as common space to fight over.
    2. Cannot rebuild. Need approval from whole Management committee to even change part of external facade.
    3. Pay maintenance. I understand there are nice facilities in some. In others, what facilities are there to talk of? But really, the pools are often so small and there aren't like big playgrounds for kids or BBQ pits or tennis courts.
    4. Expensive. Pay $$$ and always based on psf built up. Not on land.
    5. For bungalows and Semi-Ds, they are all so close to each other. No guidelines on setback. How to relax in the garden without neighbours seeing everything you're doing or even worse, listening to all you're saying?

Anyhows, don't mean to gripe. But really, too many strata houses coming up all over the island for my liking. One day, i'm sure there'll be a newspaper article about the problems of this type of housing....
    1. err.... you never see landed people fight over carpark????
    2. I think that is a good point to some people. At least your neighbour will not rebuilt to 2x the height of your unit....
    3. Facilities. not too bad. I used to stay in a strata landed but now moved to a normal terrace. What I like about the strata is that the parking/roads are UNDERGROUND. your house opens to the park/pool/walkway. Really much better this way.
    4. yup they are expensive.... too expensive
    5. nowadays rebuilt units are not much better. 2m setback is not that far

Quote Originally Posted by Duku
    They are not exactly MM in terms of size and price.
    Cluster are for condo lovers upgraders
    Great for those who prefer not to work on their garden and maintence.
    But you give up privacy and exclusivity and more importantly freedom to 'modify ' your house.
    You can modify the interiors, don't think you can modify the exterior without getting the MC approval.

The reason I called it the landed-version of MM is that the floor plate of a cluster is a fraction of the floor plate of a conventional landed, just like MM is a fraction of a normal sized condo.

You can modify the interiors, don't think you can modify the exterior without getting the MC approval.

The reason I called it the landed-version of MM is that the floor plate of a cluster is a fraction of the floor plate of a conventional landed, just like MM is a fraction of a normal sized condo.
    Depending on what conventional landed are you referring to. Some inter terrace sits only a land area of only about 1400 sq ft which may well be what a cluster house sits on too. That inter terrace may end up with only about 2100 sq ft but the cluster house can have up to 3000 or 4000 sq ft. So everything is really relative. Recently, noticed cluster houses may not necessarily be cheaper than the nearby landed.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Depending on what conventional landed are you referring to. Some inter terrace sits only a land area of only about 1400 sq ft which may well be what a cluster house sits on too. That inter terrace may end up with only about 2100 sq ft but the cluster house can have up to 3000 or 4000 sq ft. So everything is really relative. Recently, noticed cluster houses may not necessarily be cheaper than the nearby landed.
    I'm talking about the indoor footprint of a cluster. the 3000 or 4000sq ft in the cluster includes the carpark in basement, PES on the ground and roof terrace above. Some even include the air-space above the PEs. The remaining indoor space if spread over 4 floors. The actual usable space per floor is small.... especially if you deduct the staircase.... a 1400sq ft inter terrace over you more space on each floor..... Can't look at strata area alone.... look and feel the actual space.

I'm talking about the indoor footprint of a cluster. the 3000 or 4000sq ft in the cluster includes the carpark in basement, PES on the ground and roof terrace above. Some even include the air-space above the PEs. The remaining indoor space if spread over 4 floors. The actual usable space per floor is small.... especially if you deduct the staircase.... a 1400sq ft inter terrace over you more space on each floor..... Can't look at strata area alone.... look and feel the actual space.
    I am unsure exactly how the built up is calculated but I certainly dislike the 4 storeys of stairways in cluster houses. Best is spread those land areas over a single storey without stairways laggi best! Get a single storey penthouse...