Thread: How to choose an architect?

Default How to choose an architect?

How do you guys choose your architect?

Do you ask friends or read the Home and Decor magazines? I know that different architects charge different. Varies from 10-15% of total cost of building the house or something like that yes? I'm presuming that the more expensive architects also use the more expensive builders. Is that correct?

You might be able to get more info from the renovation forum. Go to the private property sub forum.

Thanks. Where do i find this renovation forum? Have you got a web address?

If you are doing Reconstruction or Addition /Alternation of more than $500k, you can appoint an Architect to design and he/she can structural engineer and quantity surveyor to design structure and prepare tender document to call for tender for contractor. Alternatively, if you want to participate in the design w/o the architect, you can just get an experienced structural engineer. You will save in Architecture fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by bricksnmortar

Do you ask friends or read the Home and Decor magazines? I know that different architects charge different. Varies from 10-15% of total cost of building the house or something like that yes? I'm presuming that the more expensive architects also use the more expensive builders. Is that correct?

Thanks. Where do i find this renovation forum? Have you got a web address?
    here is the link :http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showforum=5

Thanks bro.

Well it depends on what kind of house you are building. 7% for reasonably good architects is doable but a designer architect will charge at least 10% of building cost. You can flip magazines and find what you like or you can also google Singapore Institute of Architects to get a list. Meet up with a few to see their past designs to know what you like. Have fun!

What I recommend is to walk around the neighbour and get the contacts of the builder, architect and call them. Since there is a some live eg, it is a lot easier to describe what you and also cost estimation.