Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: George Yeo announces retirement from politics

Default George Yeo announces retirement from politics

Press statement by George Yeo

Yahoo! Newsroom – 2 hours 3 minutes ago

Media press statement by George Yeo on Tuesday, 10 May, 2011
    Thank you for waiting a couple of days for me to rest before meeting you.
    Aljunied voters have decided and I respect their decision. Having committed 23 years of service to the residents, it is only natural for me to feel disappointed but this is politics.
    It has been my privilege to have served them all these years and they have enriched my life. They have also enabled me to serve in various capacities as a Cabinet Minister in MITA, Health, MTI and MFA for which I am grateful.
    Why did we lose Aljunied?
    Mr Low Thia Kiang himself said that they won Aljunied not because the Aljunied team did not do a good job, but because the voters wanted WP to be their voice in Parliament.
    Mr Low's analysis is fair and I agree with him. This desire for a strong WP voice in parliament was a political tide which came in through Aljunied which we were unable to withstand despite our very best efforts. Right from the start, the Workers party made Aljunied a national battleground.
    The fight became one between a Workers Party voice in Parliament and an Aljunied team with two ministers, a potential Speaker of Parliament, a potential minister and a most effective Town Council chairman.
    Though I wish the outcome had been different, Aljunied voters have made their choice.
    Many of my supporters asked me to stay on to win back Aljunied in five years time. I wanted to level with them and told them last night that it is better for a younger person to take on this important task. I'm already 57 years old and would be 62 by then. Naturally I would help to ensure a smooth handover.
    As we ended our campaign on 5 May, I talked about the importance of transforming PAP. This is a belief I've held for some time. It was not something I felt I could say when the campaign started. But, as the campaign went on, as we heard the growing cry from the heart, I decided to make it plain. Like it or not, we are entering a new phase in Singapore politics development. How we respond to it will decide Singapore's destiny in the 21st century.
    I would help in whatever way I can to bring about this transformation of the PAP. I wish I had a mandate from the people of Aljunied to be a strong advocate of such transformation. But I don't.
    As for remaining in public life, I will contribute in whatever modest way possible.
    Many young people have stepped forward to help me in this campaign. Even more have cheered me on. It is not good that so many of them feel alienated from the Singapore they love. I look forward to continue working with them so that the Singapore we struggle for is the Singapore they feel is their own.
    As to the actual role I can play, I'll be happy to respond to them. In the last few years, I have learnt much from my young friends. Often they led me rather than I led them. Since the GE results came out, there has been a flood of support for me expressed personally, through friends and relatives, on email and, in an astonishing way, on internet and FB. The words expressed are heartfelt. Many wrote me long passages, some in tears. I'm grateful for the kind words and the good wishes, and will be an advocate of their cause.
    As for what I'll do professionally after stepping down as Minister when the new Cabinet is sworn in, I'm not rushing to make a decision. My wife and I thought we should take our time to think this over. We also need a break to spend more time with the family.
    From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank the people of Singapore for the opportunity of serving them in the last 23 years.

He is politically assassinated!

He can now enjoy life and live off his pension for life... take a tour around the world. He deserve to enjoy now...

If i were him, I will also retire and enjoy life. He sure have alot of connections overseas, can have round the world vip holiday, leave the mess for the pap and wp to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    If i were him, I will also retire and enjoy life. He sure have alot of connections overseas, can have round the world vip holiday, leave the mess for the pap and wp to settle.
    As a foreign minister, don't think he left a lot of mess to be cleaned up...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    The wikileaks affair ?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    The wikileaks affair ?
    Hmmm... Not too sure about that though....

I think by saying he wanted to transform PAP from inside, he offended alot of PAP colleagues who felt nothing is wrong.

With such mindset, his colleagues must have think he is a danger to PAP itself.

It is a pity he did not start his reformasi and transformation of PAP much earlier and in fact toe PAP line for many of the policies.

Election is really a bad time for stating he wants to transform PAP because alot of people will suspect his motives and agenda for doing so.

But at least George Yeo was honest enough to say PAP itself is a problem now and had many problems within.

If only he fought PAP openly in Parliament like Lily Neo and Tan Cheng Bock do then people will believe his sincerity in transforming PAP from within.

Too late.
    Last edited by wenqing; 10-05-11 at 17:14.

More often than not, it is when you are losing or have lost that you can see clearer. Now, as an outsider, he can feel the flaws much more than those who are still inside the system. Opp should employ him as personal consultant so he can still contribute to nation building...

The Romanian ambassador Dr Silviu who killed 3 people in the traffic accident is still a free man in Romania despite many wayang trials there.

The 3 dead people could have been anyone of us since it was random traffic accident.

If USA can summon BP Chairman and CEO to Congress to get grilled for oil leak disaster, why the world's most expensive foreign Minister cannot do the same to a clear cut criminal ??

More often than not, it is when you are losing or have lost that you can see clearer. Now, as an outsider, he can feel the flaws much more than those who are still inside the system. Opp should employ him as personal consultant so he can still contribute to nation building...
    Even retired PAP MP Tan Cheng Bock say Singapore must have Opposition.

George Yeo should join WP and transform PAP from outside because it is proven transforming from inside did not work.

It seems the pro-SM Goh camp are either retired, voted out, resign or step down.

SM Goh ex-PPS already join SDP, what are you waiting for George Yeo, join WP !!!!

PAP will implode some day and that day may not be far once MM Lee goes.

Hopefully by then WP is ready to take over so that PAP's own internal problems will not drag down Singapore as well.

Separate party and country.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    Even retired PAP MP Tan Cheng Bock say Singapore must have Opposition.

George Yeo should join WP and transform PAP from outside because it is proven transforming from inside did not work.

It seems the pro-SM Goh camp are either retired, voted out, resign or step down.

SM Goh ex-PPS already join SDP, what are you waiting for George Yeo, join WP !!!!
    卖主求荣者,杀

Our Opp now is only good enuf to be alternate voice. tats all!!! LTK should not think too highly of himself!! he is just at the right place at the right time.

ay123 sounds like PAP MP or minister
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    ay123 sounds like PAP MP or minister
    Totally agree.

Top down approach.

Either you with me or against me approach.

With people like him in PAP, PAP will collapse much faster.

Hooray !!!!

Totally agree.

Top down approach.

Either you with me or against me approach.

With people like him in PAP, PAP will collapse much faster.

Hooray !!!!

Wenqing, want to volunteer for WP?
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    卖主求荣者,杀

Our Opp now is only good enuf to be alternate voice. tats all!!! LTK should not think too highly of himself!! he is just at the right place at the right time.
    弃暗投明,不杀!
    LHL may have apologised and most tot he is sincere... Think twice after you reach this report from Asiaone..

------------------------------------------
    SINGAPORE cannot keep adding foreigners to its workforce and will have to grow the economy by raising productivity, the city-state's prime minister said yesterday, two days after his party lost ground in an election fought over, among other issues, immigration.

The long-ruling People's Action Party was swept back to power in Saturday's election, but the opposition made historic gains by focusing on various grievances such as an influx of foreigners into the country.

"We can't grow by increasing the work force indefinitely. There has to be some growth in the work force over time but our objective is also to increase incomes," Lee Hsien Loong said at a lunch with senior corporate executives of the country's sovereign wealth fund GIC.

Foreigners now make up 36 per cent of Singapore's population of 5.1 million, up from around 20 per cent of four million people a decade earlier.

Singapore's strong economic growth and emergence as a key global financial centre over the past decade, which culminated in a 14.5 per cent expansion in 2010, has been fuelled by the large number of people coming to work in the city-state.

But the influx of foreign nationals into the work force has depressed wages for lower-skilled Singaporeans, contributing to greater income inequality.

Many citizens have also complained about the influx leading to competition for housing and places in schools, as well as increasingly crowded roads, buses and trains.

Even before the election, Singapore had been tightening immigration requirements.

Lee, however, also said in his speech that Singapore remains keen to attract investments and talent from abroad as this will create jobs and prosperity for citizens.

His government will remain focused on the long-term and will not let policies be affected by populist pressures, he said.

Asiaone....

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Wenqing, want to volunteer for WP?
    I am too old for such stuff.

Cannot climb steps.

Another reason on Internet is after PM Lee retires, George Yeo is hot contender for PM post but so is his other Minister colleagues.

So the power struggle for next PM had started.

Another reason on Internet is after PM Lee retires, George Yeo is hot contender for PM post but so is his other Minister colleagues.

So the power struggle for next PM had started.
    Heard different story from the ground..

GY is belongs to Goh camp. During this election, most of the outgoing MPs belong to Goh camp.

If you pay close attention to news reports, Goh and LHL never appear together at all during this election. Also, WKS openly refuted Goh on newsaper over some remarks.

BTW, if all of you can recalled Goh's remarks "Singaporean Kiasu, Kiasi and Kiabor" many years back. After seeing the open rivalry between LHL & Goh camps, I think GCT probably refered that to LHL.... 

As for TPL, heard from the ground that if TPL (the so call "talented") can be elected as MP now, voters would probably have lesser resistance when LHL/Mah/LHY sons come out for election in GE2016. How worst can it be with TPL?

GY bowed out in dignity and grace.

The Romanian ambassador Dr Silviu who killed 3 people in the traffic accident is still a free man in Romania despite many wayang trials there.

The 3 dead people could have been anyone of us since it was random traffic accident.

If USA can summon BP Chairman and CEO to Congress to get grilled for oil leak disaster, why the world's most expensive foreign Minister cannot do the same to a clear cut criminal ??
    Different issue lah... WKS kana slammed for lousy system which allowed terrorist to escape - an obvious lapse in his role. But GY cannot persuade the Romanian to return to stand trial is not a lapse of duty. Its more 'give face' than anything else. Btw, its not ambassador, its charge d'affaires.

Heard GY pension is 30mil

Where did you get that from? That is our money?

Quote Originally Posted by shauntanzs
    Heard GY pension is 30mil

Its probably calculated on the basis of 30 years at 1mil a year and yes it is alot. Anyway, I would rather give good $ to those who have shown results and worked hard over the last many years than those who cannot produce result...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

We were told that pension scheme is a very sick scheme, that is why it has been scrapped for civil servants! Ops! I forgot that MPs and Ministers still have pension. How much is their pension with respect to last drawn pay?

Its probably calculated on the basis of 30 years at 1mil a year and yes it is alot. Anyway, I would rather give good $ to those who have shown results and worked hard over the last many years than those who cannot produce result...

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    We were told that pension scheme is a very sick scheme, that is why it has been scrapped for civil servants! Ops! I forgot that MPs and Ministers still have pension. How much is their pension with respect to last drawn pay?

go read my latest post on ministers' pension

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Its for office holders only.. most MPs are not office holders.. Anyway pension scheme is a sick scheme coz it is drawing too much from the govt bank to take care of civil servants so they introduced the growth package (aka connect plan) which slashed the final draw out amount by nearly 80%. However, it does allow employees to leave the service prematurely but still have some cash to take with them, unlike the pension scheme but it is really a small amount compared with how much they would have given if the old pension scheme remained.

Its for office holders only.. most MPs are not office holders.. Anyway pension scheme is a sick scheme coz it is drawing too much from the govt bank to take care of civil servants so they introduced the growth package (aka connect plan) which slashed the final draw out amount by nearly 80%. However, it does allow employees to leave the service prematurely but still have some cash to take with them, unlike the pension scheme but it is really a small amount compared with how much they would have given if the old pension scheme remained.
    we duno how much bonuses those directors within GIC/Temasek draws too

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    we duno how much bonuses those directors within GIC/Temasek draws too
    Definitely a lot more...