Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will election results affect the housing market?

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Will election results affect the housing market?

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...ousing-market?

Will election results affect the housing market?

by Colin Tan

04:46 AM Apr 29, 2011

With the General Election (GE) just around the corner, several people have asked me whether I think the poll results would have an impact on the private housing market.

If you are asking whether investor confidence in private property here would be affected, the answer is a definite no. Whatever the outcome of the polls, be it by a clear margin or a narrow victory for the ruling party, I feel the liquidity factor is just too strong and I am convinced the buying, as well as prices, will not drop.

But if you are asking whether the level of risk would change following the elections, the answer is likely yes. The most obvious change would be in the level of policy risk. Depending on how the ruling party reads the results of the elections and what it interprets the electorate wants done, it may take an entirely different tack on how it has been handling the housing problem.

With the exception of the most recent set of cooling measures in January, quite a few property analysts believe the authorities have been tackling the housing market with kid gloves as they have one eye on the GE. This distraction will soon be gone.

Most of the measures have been very focused and targeted mainly at speculators. Of course, the authorities are assuming that this group of opportunists are the main culprits - get rid of them and the problem is solved - forgetting perhaps that investors can also behave irrationally.

Our Government has won many admirers both within and outside Singapore for its creativity in coming up with effective measures in tackling our problems. In my opinion, it just needs clear feedback on what voters want. I think its present measured approach is what it feels would produce the outcome that will make the overwhelming majority happy, or at least not make them unhappy. I think it will not alter its approach if it is not convinced otherwise.

The GE is one opportunity where citizens can give feedback to the ruling party on what it wants. And so, depending on the voting patterns, it may not necessarily mean more of the same measures such as lower loan limits. Let us brace ourselves come Polling Day.

For now, the liquidity beast tormenting our housing market would not just lie still and die. Instead, it has grown stronger.

Compared with what other regional countries, such as China, India or Australia, are doing to cool their property markets, we seem to be behind the curve.

As a laggard in this respect, we are probably viewed by most regional investors as having the most market upside. This is probably providing the strong underlying support for the robust developers' sales we have experienced so far.

Lately, some market comments on this issue appear to suggest that we need not worry too much about the high volume of sales because this has now become the norm.

We are treading into dangerous territory if we buy this argument. How can the current level of sales coming after four sets of cooling measures culminating in one of the most stringent - a punitive sellers' stamp duty - be considered normal? If we remove these cooling measures today, how high do you think the buying will soar to?

This reminds me of the fable about a frog being cooked by a slow flame in a beaker of water. Because the temperature of the water was raised gradually, the frog did not realise the danger it was in as it adjusted to each degree rise in temperature as the norm.

If you are still not convinced, let us take the low-interest rate environment. It has been with us for the longest time ever experienced by our housing market. Can we consider this the new norm?

Colin Tan is head, research and consultancy, at Chesterton Suntec International.

If borrowing interest rates go up will it push the prices up?

Quote Originally Posted by dmonddd
    If borrowing interest rates go up will it push the prices up?
    Nid to noe wats the basis for int rate to go up

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Nid to noe wats the basis for int rate to go up
    With the US unemployment at 9% and all the other factors, not sure if rates will go up. SOR just came down yesterday.

Properties will crash until buay jin chu if the opposition gains inroads into Parliament

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Properties will crash until buay jin chu if the opposition gains inroads into Parliament
    Stocks crash till delisted from monday onwards

Stocks crash till delisted from monday onwards
    why wenqing never say we fearmongering har?

I think nobody in any party mentioned about stepping up on anti-vice and send the china and thai chickens home

This goes to show that we are well loved by all parties

I think you should send the winning PAP candidates some chickens to congratulate them

This goes to show that we are well loved by all parties

History in the making. WP wins Aljunied.

Poor Georgie Yeo.... the tiger got killed in the mountain

History in the making. WP wins Aljunied.

Poor Georgie Yeo.... the tiger got killed in the mountain
    The worthy casualties in this GE were George Yeo and Mr Chiam CT.

I am not going to touch any properties located in the aljunied grc.

Buy anything there sure cheong downwards until buay jin chu

too bad that tan jee say lost. I like his idea of more service industries.
    Geylang OKT would be happy. Can promote his chicken service industry .

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    If u realise, his proposal is in line wif current direction except tat pap will not phase out manufacturing completely

Come make Aljunied your new home...its the new prime district of Singapore where dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Come make Aljunied your new home...its the new prime district of Singapore where dreams come true.
    Place where residents need not live in fear..., actually not bad. U know something NEX is under Marine Parade GRC, so Aljunied resident esp those near Kovan, they vote for WP but facilities like Nex, which is nearby is in PAP ward...., lives still go on, normal...

They still have hope for the next round. President elect next. Tan Kin Lian coming standing in or he is preparing for next election with this team?
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

Potong Pasir prices will go up now with a new waterfront proposal. Too bad this must have won a lot of the new residents in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Potong Pasir prices will go up now with a new waterfront proposal. Too bad this must have won a lot of the new residents in this area.
    I tink only the hdb there benefitted

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Think those residents in new condos in PP that TOP during the last 5 years may have swing the votes in favor of PAP....., now wait for land tender beside PP MRT for private to build shopping mall....., 8@woodleigh price will go up further...

Not really. Potong Pasir is quite small and those new development like One Leicester, Wood28, etc will benefit from it as it is all walking distance.
    I tink only the hdb there benefitted

URA will sell the land (large field) that is next to the PP MRT stn for commercial purpose very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Think those residents in new condos in PP that TOP during the last 5 years may have swing the votes in favor of PAP....., now wait for land tender beside PP MRT for private to build shopping mall....., 8@woodleigh price will go up further...

Ok huat argh!!!!!

Nin residences will relaunch at 2000psf haa haa...

Another residential site between the landed propeties and PP mrt stn will be selling at higher price.
    Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Nin residences will relaunch at 2000psf haa haa...

Even though i got vested interest in PP.... i dun tink pp condo px is lagging behind.... Its only their hdb px lags behind.

And we r oredi in the mid cycle of the bull run.... Downturn is imminent within the next 2-3yrs.... May not b able to see PP transformed in time....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

The govt should have heard the people loud and clear:
    - They want HDB housing prices pegged closer to their costs than so-called "subsidized market rate".
    - They want priority to be given for CITIZENS (not their so-called "Singaporeans" that includes PRs (otherwise they should ask PRs to vote for the PAP)) in terms of jobs.
    - They want priority to be given for CITIZENS in terms of schools vacancies (e.g. P1 registration, university places etc).
    - They want better control of prices for GLCs which are controlling monopoly or duopoly businesses in Singapore (e.g. PUB prices, buses, MRT fares etc).
    - They want MPs (regardless of party they are from) who can can serve them, listen, and air their greivance to the govt and see that policies implemented have been robustness debated and which will benefit CITIZENS & not PRs & foreigners.

Above implications means low-level foreigners should be kept out as they compete for jobs directly with the lower and middle-classes Singapore citizens.
    High-level foreigners will still be welcomed to come here to live, stay, spend money here, buy properties, set up businesses, create jobs for Singapore citizens, all for the benefits of the economy of Singapore,

What are the implications of above? My take is:
    a) HDB prices :- Most likely new HDB prices lower, resale HDB prices stagnant to lower.
    b) mass market private condos:- Most likely lower with lower resale HDB prices since less HDB upgraders with increasing gap between HDB and condo prices, less middle-income foreigners here hence lesser demand.
    c) prime and luxury market private condos :- Most likely no effect since there are relatively few mass market to luxury market upgraders, high-end foreigners coming in not affected.
    Last edited by teddybear; 08-05-11 at 12:06.

Teddybear getting despo.... Mass market demand drop not gona benefit ccr....
    U just nid mbt to strike off 4yrs ssd

Teddybear getting despo.... Mass market demand drop not gona benefit ccr....
    U just nid mbt to strike off 4yrs ssd
    With the new mandate given by the people of Tampines (not Singapore), he'll strike off 4 yr SSD and introduce 6 yr SSD.... . He'll add LTV to 40% and lay down a new rule.. no one is to own more than 3 properties in Singapore!!! He'll then have to sell his 3 other properties to meet this new ruling...