Thread: Gap between new and resale private home prices narrows in first quarter

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Gap between new and resale private home prices narrows in first quarter

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_664560.html

May 4, 2011

Gap between new and resale private home prices narrows in first quarter

By Cheryl Lim

THE price gap between uncompleted and completed private properties narrowed in the first quarter of this year, according to newly-released data.

The figures from property consultancy SLP International's first quarter residential market report show that high-end and mid-tier properties have been the most affected by this change.

Uncompleted homes usually command higher prices. A narrowing of this gap, caused by a drop in uncompleted home prices could reflect market shock at January's cooling measures, said SLP's head of research, Mr Nicholas Mak.

The difference in median prices of uncompleted and completed high-end homes dropped from $166 per sq ft (psf) to $92 psf in the first quarter.

Similarly, the gap between median prices for uncompleted and completed mid-tier properties dipped from $558 psf to $455 psf in the first quarter.

Typically, the two sets of prices move in tandem, said Mr Mak.

'Sometimes the prices move in different directions. This could be due to price growth, strong demand. I think it can also be taken as a sign that the market has gone into a bit of shock in the first quarter after the introduction of more cooling measures,' he said.

According to SLP, the fall in price of uncompleted homes was partly due to discounts given to developers.

Mr Mak said the popularity of shoebox homes - units under 500 sq ft - could be lifting price gains of uncompleted homes.

Mass market homes also proved popular. The report said median prices of uncompleted properties in the mass market segment rose 6 per cent in the first quarter of this year to $988 psf.

This is due to a healthy demand for suburban condominiums, said Mr Mak. The figures show that mass market units accounted for more than half of all apartments sold by developers in the first three months of this year.

Mr Mak said more buying opportunities might emerge, especially with owners of suburban resale properties more willing to cut prices amid concerns that cooling measures may soften demand.

'The lack of availability of completed projects is stopping buyers from buying more of such properties over uncompleted homes, which are usually released in bulk during property launches,' he said.

An oversupply of completed properties is expected to hit the market next year, which could slow down price growth in the completed homes market, he said.

Resale and new property price difference of 30% is just silly to begin with.

Same goes for new EC and resale EC huh?

naturally.

The developers are living in their own world so they launch their new projects are ridiculous prices that the resale market is not picking up. Unfortunately, until the authorities step in, its the developer's market coz there'll still be rich people coming to buy de. If not Singaporeans, then foreigners lor.... developers can hold...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    The developers are living in their own world so they launch their new projects are ridiculous prices that the resale market is not picking up. Unfortunately, until the authorities step in, its the developer's market coz there'll still be rich people coming to buy de. If not Singaporeans, then foreigners lor.... developers can hold...
    so far new launches mass market not really ridiculous....

just based on hedges park.....quantum low low....1bedder can get less den 500k...but if u search for subsale at Gale or resale at ferrari park....haha....u noe the answer

total quantum is more impt.....lower psf but much higher quantum dun make ppty affordable.....if a person budget is 500k.....he got no choice but to buy hedges park 1bedder....am i rite?

wait till sizes cant shrink anymore....psf keep rising.....total quantum rise.....den we will be in bubbly stage

Then the MM owners/investors will realize the DANGER!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    so far new launches mass market not really ridiculous....

just based on hedges park.....quantum low low....1bedder can get less den 500k...but if u search for subsale at Gale or resale at ferrari park....haha....u noe the answer

total quantum is more impt.....lower psf but much higher quantum dun make ppty affordable.....if a person budget is 500k.....he got no choice but to buy hedges park 1bedder....am i rite?

wait till sizes cant shrink anymore....psf keep rising.....total quantum rise.....den we will be in bubbly stage

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Then the MM owners/investors will realize the DANGER!
    actually all danger.....no matter how small MMs are...they r still bigger den a master room.....so those renting master room will rent micro MMs instead....any segment got demand one.....only wat rental they can fetch

those bigger resale units....goto drop their px to more affordable px too...

if u observe carefully, easier to find firesales for those larger units during early09.....in fact, harder to find firesales for 1-2bedders....and if got....aso snap up within 1-2hrs.....i remember i goto rush down and submit chq and yet smbody faster den me

U agent style. No need to catch firesales now, wait for interest rate to shoot up.

I think we'ee already at the stage where it can't shrink anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    I think we'ee already at the stage where it can't shrink anymore.
    Yap... So waiting for quantum to rise n resale will start to pick up n its time to RUN

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    U agent style. No need to catch firesales now, wait for interest rate to shoot up.
    Just vote opp in n they will tell mas to rise int rate to 10% tmr!!!

Just do a simple calculation: a hotel room just outside CBD is about $110/day = 1 month is $3300 with housekeeping. A MM unit with a similar size of such hotel room with a queen size bed, fridge, etc. cannot be more than $3100 with $200 for miscellaneous expenses. Those MM units further away from town will have be substantially lower. Rental of a master bedroom now in HDB flat is about $500-600 depends on whether you can use kitchen, air-conditioning,etc.
    actually all danger.....no matter how small MMs are...they r still bigger den a master room.....so those renting master room will rent micro MMs instead....any segment got demand one.....only wat rental they can fetch

those bigger resale units....goto drop their px to more affordable px too...

if u observe carefully, easier to find firesales for those larger units during early09.....in fact, harder to find firesales for 1-2bedders....and if got....aso snap up within 1-2hrs.....i remember i goto rush down and submit chq and yet smbody faster den me

Good point. MM so small and expansive.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Just do a simple calculation: a hotel room just outside CBD is about $110/day = 1 month is $3300 with housekeeping. A MM unit with a similar size of such hotel room with a queen size bed, fridge, etc. cannot be more than $3100 with $200 for miscellaneous expenses. Those MM units further away from town will have be substantially lower. Rental of a master bedroom now in HDB flat is about $500-600 depends on whether you can use kitchen, air-conditioning,etc.
    y use HDB master room to compare?

i am toking about condo master room

easily 1-1.5k without own privacy and goto see ur landlord's face....

so 1.5k is a safe bet for micro MMs....below 500k still can tahan

y use HDB master room to compare?

i am toking about condo master room

easily 1-1.5k without own privacy and goto see ur landlord's face....

so 1.5k is a safe bet for micro MMs....below 500k still can tahan
    Rental demands will only remain steady stream if govt continue to release floodgates to let FT enter our land... the demand is dwindling... so MM units cannot sustain rental yield for long...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Rental demands will only remain steady stream if govt continue to release floodgates to let FT enter our land... the demand is dwindling... so MM units cannot sustain rental yield for long...
    Not only mm... Whole sg rental will b affected

Will 3rm hdb flat rental drop bck to 800-900 in 2003 level?