Thread: Mah expects to lose votes over flat prices

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Mah expects to lose votes over flat prices

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_661602.html

Apr 27, 2011

INTERVIEW

Mah expects to lose votes over flat prices

By Fiona Chan, ASSISTANT MONEY EDITOR & Robin Chan

NATIONAL Development Minister Mah Bow Tan is already resigned to winning fewer votes this year, with the hustings poised for take-off today.

He told The Straits Times in an interview on Sunday: 'This general election is going to be a close contest. Realistically, we expect our vote share to be down from the last general election. By how much - it's hard to tell.'

But as long as his Tampines GRC team maintains a margin of one to two percentage points above the People's Action Party's (PAP) national average, 'it will be very good', he said frankly.

Mr Mah has been a member of the Group Representation Constituency since 1988. His team won in the 2006 General Election with a 68.5 per cent majority, below the 73.3 per cent it garnered in 2001, but above the PAP's 66.6 per cent national average in 2006.

This year, however, he is grappling not just with his immediate opponents - the National Solidarity Party (NSP) has unveiled a team there - but also with the growing unhappiness over the affordability of housing.

Prices of Housing Board (HDB) resale flats and private homes jumped by double-digit percentages last year, despite three rounds of cooling measures implemented since 2009. A fourth set of curbs at the start of this year tempered the rise in prices and dampened sales, but the damage may have already been done.

Mr Mah expects concerns over housing to cost him votes this year, and to his chagrin, some opposition parties have made lowering home prices a cornerstone of their election campaigns.

He said: 'We're trying to tell our people: stay fit, work hard, save for a rainy day. This is not a very pleasing message.

'The opposition message is more appealing: spend now, why save, our forefathers have worked so hard already, now is the time to enjoy their hard work.'

It is a reference to the proposal by the Workers' Party (WP) to reduce new flat prices by paying less for state land, to which his rejoinder has been that this practice amounts to 'an illegal raid on the reserves', where proceeds from land sales go.

In the last two weeks alone, he has rebutted the WP's housing ideas thrice; so far, he has not responded to the challenge by the NSP for a debate on housing, saying the issues it has raised have already been addressed.

Mr Mah's stand, in a nutshell, is that while other types of homes have gone up in price, new HDB flats remain affordable - in line with a key promise by the Government to keep homes within the reach of first-time buyers. He reiterated this point animatedly during the interview, despite already having made it several times in recent months.

He has one other point, made no less forcefully, and that is that not every Singaporean wants home prices to fall.

'As I've said, even the people who want prices to be down today, the moment they buy (their home), they will switch roles. They'll belong to the other group; they'll say: 'Please make sure my house prices go up.' Believe you me.'

He said he and his team - Mr Heng Swee Keat, Mr Masagos Zulkifli, Mr Steve Tan and Ms Irene Ng - have been greeted with warmth when they are on the ground so far, but he believes 'the sentiments are not as positive as in the last general election'.

Home prices aside, Singaporeans are also concerned about the rising cost of living and the pace of immigration, which are ironically 'problems of success'.

'If the Government had not implemented measures like the Resilience Package in 2009 to save jobs and bring the economy back to life, we would not be talking about high property prices and too many foreigners,' he said.

Asked what he would do if he loses the fight for Tampines GRC, he responded stoically: 'Life will go on.'

But he turned wistful at the end of the interview as he looked back on his 23 years in this housing estate, including a time recently when a kindergarten teacher approached him to autograph an old photo that he had taken with her - when she herself was but a kindergarten tot.

He said: 'I've been here so long that I've seen people grow up. It's part of my life... that's something you can't take away, whatever happens.'

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Mah speaks up on...

# How Singaporeans can monetise their homes, which are their biggest assets:

You've got at least three or four options. One, move into your children's flat and rent out your old one. A five-room flat can easily fetch you $1,000-plus to $2,000. And that's income every month.

If you don't want to do that, rent out one room for $500. You can rent out two rooms for $1,000 a month and still stay where you are.

If you don't want to do that, sell your flat and buy a smaller flat and keep the money: $200-, $300-, $400-whatever thousand dollars you'll have. Take the money for your retirement.

If you don't want to do that, you can go for the leasebuyback scheme. This applies at the moment only to three-room flats and below.

The Government buys back a part of your remaining lease. So you stay where you are and you get an additional monthly payment of about $500 a month. Plus, if you want to rent out another room, you can still do so. Another $500. So you get $1,000 a month and stay where you are.

That's what I mean by monetising.

But of course, if somebody comes to me and says: 'Look, I don't want to do all that. I want to stay in my five-room flat', what can I do?

I have no answer to that, because if that's the proposition, then I think that's not answering the question. I don't have an answer to that.

# Renting instead of home ownership:

I think there's a big disadvantage. It doesn't give anybody any hedge against inflation; it doesn't give anybody a chance to enjoy the fruits of our growth. And rentals are just consumption. You can't use your Central Provident Fund to rent.

We have very good examples of rentals. In Hong Kong, they have rental housing, cheap rental housing, small, and people rent for years and years. At the end of the day, they get nothing out of it.

# Responding to the Workers' Party but not to other opposition parties:

They just come up with ideas which we think are wrong; we just have to debunk them. (They're) doing something which is going to have repercussions on the assets, the savings of so many people.

Then, we ask them where is the money coming from, (and they reply Oh, from the reserves. Every opposition party is scrambling for which one can outbid the other to get the reserves.

# What his children have taught him about online media:

They tell me that you must not be passive-aggressive. They say, you must not be sarcastic.

You cannot unfriend people on Facebook. It's very rude.

And, no caps. Apparently I cannot type with caps. Because it's very rude, you see.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Mah & PAP destined to lose lots of votes because:
    1) HDB flats too expensive & supply come too little, too late.
    2) private properties owners unhappy because the cooling measures hit them hard & resale prices stagnated while developers new sales still moving up & developers make all the profit.
    3) because of (2), govt making profits from GLS.
    4) ministers get 30% pay rise this year while general people told to expect 30% pay rise only in total of 10 years!
    5) potential HDB upgraders fed up that their dream suddenly become out of reach because of 60% LTV.
    6) property investors fed up with the 4 years SSD & 60% LTV.

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny

Mah speaks up on...

# How Singaporeans can monetise their homes, which are their biggest assets:

You've got at least three or four options. One, move into your children's flat and rent out your old one. A five-room flat can easily fetch you $1,000-plus to $2,000. And that's income every month.

If you don't want to do that, rent out one room for $500. You can rent out two rooms for $1,000 a month and still stay where you are.

If you don't want to do that, sell your flat and buy a smaller flat and keep the money: $200-, $300-, $400-whatever thousand dollars you'll have. Take the money for your retirement.

If you don't want to do that, you can go for the leasebuyback scheme. This applies at the moment only to three-room flats and below.

The Government buys back a part of your remaining lease. So you stay where you are and you get an additional monthly payment of about $500 a month. Plus, if you want to rent out another room, you can still do so. Another $500. So you get $1,000 a month and stay where you are.

That's what I mean by monetising.

But of course, if somebody comes to me and says: 'Look, I don't want to do all that. I want to stay in my five-room flat', what can I do?

I have no answer to that, because if that's the proposition, then I think that's not answering the question. I don't have an answer to that.

# Renting instead of home ownership:

I think there's a big disadvantage. It doesn't give anybody any hedge against inflation; it doesn't give anybody a chance to enjoy the fruits of our growth. And rentals are just consumption. You can't use your Central Provident Fund to rent.

We have very good examples of rentals. In Hong Kong, they have rental housing, cheap rental housing, small, and people rent for years and years. At the end of the day, they get nothing out of it.

# Responding to the Workers' Party but not to other opposition parties:

They just come up with ideas which we think are wrong; we just have to debunk them. (They're) doing something which is going to have repercussions on the assets, the savings of so many people.

Then, we ask them where is the money coming from, (and they reply Oh, from the reserves. Every opposition party is scrambling for which one can outbid the other to get the reserves.

# What his children have taught him about online media:

They tell me that you must not be passive-aggressive. They say, you must not be sarcastic.

You cannot unfriend people on Facebook. It's very rude.

And, no caps. Apparently I cannot type with caps. Because it's very rude, you see.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Mah & PAP destined to lose lots of votes because:
    1) HDB flats too expensive & supply come too little, too late.
    2) private properties owners unhappy because the cooling measures hit them hard & resale prices stagnated while developers new sales still moving up & developers make all the profit.
    3) because of (2), govt making profits from GLS.
    4) ministers get 30% pay rise this year while general people told to expect 30% pay rise only in total of 10 years!
    5) potential HDB upgraders fed up that their dream suddenly become out of reach because of 60% LTV.
    6) property investors fed up with the 4 years SSD & 60% LTV.
    plus teddy's CCR tio stagnant for the past 1 yr!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    plus teddy's CCR tio stagnant for the past 1 yr!
    Plus people are sick and tired of listening to his "ko yok "

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Plus people are sick and tired of listening to his "ko yok "
    how to monetise ur HDB?

haha

SHOCKING STATEMENT : SM Goh suggests Voting out Wong Kan Seng, Raymond Lim or Mah Bow Tan instead, HOW?

George Yeo too important for Cabinet to lose: SM Goh

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...o-lose--SM-Goh

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3217291

Quote:
    TODAY
    03 MAY 2011

SINGAPORE - Foreign Minister George Yeo, who is facing a fierce challenge from the Workers' Party in the Aljunied Group Representation Constituency (GRC), has been described as "too important a person for the Cabinet to lose" by Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong.

Singling out Mr Yeo as one of three "very important" core members in the Cabinet - the others being Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean - Mr Goh said yesterday: "There are other core members but these are the three core members who will be very important ... (Finance Minister) Tharman (Shanmugaratnam) is too new but will be developed into a core member."

Speaking after a walkabout in Marine Parade GRC, Mr Goh said a member of the Prime Minister's core team is picked not only based on the portfolio the minister heads but also his intelligence, competence, ability to deliver results and someone whose judgment can be trusted.

"I've run a Government and I know you need a core team. A core team is four or five people, other ministers are important, but you need a core team," said Mr Goh. "If you lose George Yeo, I think it is a very big loss (for the Cabinet), and to Singapore."

Elaborating, Mr Goh said the Foreign Minister has played a critical role in the Prime Minister's team to formulate and implement policies, and will not be easily replaced in the short term if his team loses in the Aljunied GRC.

Said Mr Goh: "If one GRC is lost, as Minister Mentor (Lee Kuan Yew) said, we can accept the result - I agree with that. Sooner or later we are going to lose one. But my view if we lose Aljunied, that is a different matter."

With Mr Yeo in the middle of negotiating "very delicate agreements" with Indonesia and Malaysia, the loss will even be more telling for Singapore.

Summing up, Mr Goh said: "What mistake has he made? You can take a minister and criticise him for not delivering on perhaps housing and transport.

"Like Wong Kan Seng you can say he let Mas Selamat escape. George Yeo, what has he done to deserve this? And he is a core member."

party infighting?
    Yeo in Goh's camp whereas WKS & MBT in Lee's camp?

I think Minister without Portfolio is the safest position. No mistakes done, no reason to be kick out, according to Goh.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    party infighting?

I think Minister without Portfolio is the safest position. No mistakes done, no reason to be kick out, according to Goh.
    Yep, impending PAP civil war.

When the tough gets going, they start to bite each other.

Where is the resilience ? The real character of our leaders start showing.

The three Ministers will sabotage back next few days.

PAP can have all their civil war but leave Singapore alone.

Minister Lim Boon Heng was Minister without Portfolio for 15 years and got retrenched last minute when he thought he still in the elections.

This was why he cried.

Better buy WP insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing

Minister Lim Boon Heng was Minister without Portfolio for 15 years and got retrenched last minute when he thought he still in the elections.

This was why he cried.

Better buy WP insurance.

ur mind r so screwed

grabbing any opportunity to fan rumours

party infighting?

i tink SM Goh over confident tat other GRCs will surely win....

too desperate to save george yeo imo....

This was why he cried.

Better buy WP insurance.

WQ, may I ask what has our government done to you that you are so full of "hatred". I cannot say they are prefect, but can you deny what they have done for Singapore over the past decades? What we have achieved today is not by chance but by good policies (not 100% though but good enough to see almost all of us not living below proverty line... u don't have to look far, just look at our South East Asia neighbours). If Singapore is going to deteriorate into a society of "hatred", I feel really sad for this and future generations. I feel our society is getting less and less grateful.

I expect you to reply with a lot of "craps"................ but I will rest my case and will not return to this forum as I can't bear to see my beautiful country going down the path of "hatred".

Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    WQ, may I ask what has our government done to you that you are so full of "hatred". I cannot say they are prefect, but can you deny what they have done for Singapore over the past decades? What we have achieved today is not by chance but by good policies (not 100% though but good enough to see almost all of us not living below proverty line... u don't have to look far, just look at our South East Asia neighbours). If Singapore is going to deteriorate into a society of "hatred", I feel really sad for this and future generations. I feel our society is getting less and less grateful.

I expect you to reply with a lot of "craps"................ but I will rest my case and will not return to this forum as I can't bear to see my beautiful country going down the path of "hatred".
    bro, u can return after 7th May

Actually I think our gov plans to keep important ppl in the gov with previously holding high post in military background to be the successor to be PM.. the current PM or even future PM.
    In future, when comes to war, our PM will sit in for wargaming, planning, etc. & enable to make decision & execution.. PM Lee / Teo C H / George Yeo are ppl with General (NS) ranking, & Teo C H (former Chief of Navy) most likely will be the next PM after PM Lee

Quote Originally Posted by AAA

I hope you are fully aware that online activity (when login etc) can be seen by forummers. Just like people mention JLRX never make post since like forever but still login to forum.
    So dont let people catch you logging in.
    BTW, I dont expect you to respond since you said you will not return to this forum.

All democratic societies always discuss about negative government policies so that governance can be improved. When i was living in UK for some years, people on the streets always talk about all the negative policies meted out by the labour govt, never the good things. Thus, my point is we should never rest on past laurels and always strive to better ourselves. In doing so, we have to move away from a complacent society and start questioning the govt when things are not right, and not say "it is ok for govt to make mistakes so long as the overall average is a good score", this kind of thinking is complacency and will not help in fostering the democratic process and a more politically active environment.

I hope you are fully aware that online activity (when login etc) can be seen by forummers. Just like people mention JLRX never make post since like forever but still login to forum.
    So dont let people catch you logging in.
    BTW, I dont expect you to respond since you said you will not return to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    All democratic societies always discuss about negative government policies so that governance can be improved. When i was living in UK for some years, people on the streets always talk about all the negative policies meted out by the labour govt, never the good things. Thus, my point is we should never rest on past laurels and always strive to better ourselves. In doing so, we have to move away from a complacent society and start questioning the govt when things are not right, and not say "it is ok for govt to make mistakes so long as the overall average is a good score", this kind of thinking is complacency and will not help in fostering the democratic process and a more politically active environment.
    many ppl bey song/bey tahan extremme idealist like wenqing

nothing wrong to voice out govt's or rather PAP's mistakes

i support MBT but at the same time i said the 4yrs SSD is lop-sided

be a man....hold no grudges and judge a person rationally

party infighting?

Are u sure there are already these 2 camps? Hmm... what about DPM Teo? What if Marine Parade PAP lose, what will become of SM? He run for next Presidential election? What if GY lose also? Then there'll be two candidates for president? Who's more qualified??? Hmmm...

you cannot say we should hold no grudges. I grudge against PAP for paying themselves ridiculous salaries out of the country's coffers with the blessing of the electorate and making terrible decisions like overspending on YOG, raising healthcare/medical cost, lousy foreign immigration policies and a whole slew of bad policies. Our citizenship also too cheap liao, foreign sportsman can just get citizenship so easily, macham like a JC accepting students based on CCA points. Do you remember Egmar Goncalves, the brazilian in the S-league? He was offered singapore citizenship by FAS and later had no qualms about not calling singapore home after having made enough money and returning to his country. FAS said that egmar had not asked for citizenship, it was the they who asked him to be citizen. This is really embarrassing to read as a singaporean coz i did not know organisations are going around getting people with no loyalty to be citizens

many ppl bey song/bey tahan extremme idealist like wenqing

nothing wrong to voice out govt's or rather PAP's mistakes

i support MBT but at the same time i said the 4yrs SSD is lop-sided

be a man....hold no grudges and judge a person rationally

you cannot say we should hold no grudges. I grudge against PAP for paying themselves ridiculous salaries out of the country's coffers with the blessing of the electorate and making terrible decisions like overspending on YOG, raising healthcare/medical cost, lousy foreign immigration policies and a whole slew of bad policies. Our citizenship also too cheap liao, foreign sportsman can just get citizenship so easily, macham like a JC accepting students based on CCA points. Do you remember Egmar Goncalves, the brazilian in the S-league? He was offered singapore citizenship by FAS and later had no qualms about not calling singapore home after having made enough money and returning to his country. FAS said that egmar had not asked for citizenship, it was the they who asked him to be citizen. This is really embarrassing to read as a singaporean coz i did not know organisations are going around getting people with no loyalty to be citizens
    yes...govt do offer citizenships to PRs without PRs themselves requesting for it....

vy despo rite....so despo until goto beg for water supply from msia.....many more....so how?

tats y many cant tahan PAP anymore and choose to migrate overseas and even annul their citizenships....interview those who annul Sg citizenship.....they surely condemn PAP....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Are u sure there are already these 2 camps? Hmm... what about DPM Teo? What if Marine Parade PAP lose, what will become of SM? He run for next Presidential election? What if GY lose also? Then there'll be two candidates for president? Who's more qualified??? Hmmm...
    DC33 already mentioned next president would be a Malay, likely Tamugi. already had chinese (otc), indian (nathan).
    well, Yeo & Goh can be parachuted to some government linked companies, to keep them happy.

DC33 already mentioned next president would be a Malay, likely Tamugi. already had chinese (otc), indian (nathan).
    well, Yeo & Goh can be parachuted to some government linked companies, to keep them happy.
    i wonder who is next best in line to replace yeo

imagine hot headed ppl like wenqing....full of pride and extremme idealist.....say byebye to foreign investments

SHOCKING STATEMENT : SM Goh suggests Voting out Wong Kan Seng, Raymond Lim or Mah Bow Tan instead, HOW?
    I did not get that idea when I read the article... he's merely saying there are grounds to oppose these candidates based on all the debates taking place now but there are no grounds to oppose GY. That's all. There might be internal disagreements but that is a different issue altogether. To read that from this article is simply too far fetched..

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I did not get that idea when I read the article... he's merely saying there are grounds to oppose these candidates based on all the debates taking place now but there are no grounds to oppose GY. That's all. There might be internal disagreements but that is a different issue altogether. To read that from this article is simply too far fetched..
    even though u r a supporter of the opp party....u r not a blinded Fan

for sports, a govt desperately give out citizenship, you think it is right? can lousy players like egmar goncalves elevate us to world cup? These govt organisations have to answer to the whole of singapore for doing so, not sooka sooka just give the citizenship and let these foreigners laugh and mock at us. If these foreigners take our state flag to wipe their backside and throw it behind, you are telling me you don't feel anything? regarding malaysia, we are not begging them for water, it is a contract, thus mutual agreement in the separation.

yes...govt do offer citizenships to PRs without PRs themselves requesting for it....

vy despo rite....so despo until goto beg for water supply from msia.....many more....so how?

tats y many cant tahan PAP anymore and choose to migrate overseas and even annul their citizenships....interview those who annul Sg citizenship.....they surely condemn PAP....hehe

Thank you for letting me know I'm an opp supporter... I'm still undecided who I am. Then again an opp supporter may not vote for opp coz PAP in his ward performed better?

for sports, a govt desperately give out citizenship, you think it is right? can lousy players like egmar goncalves elevate us to world cup? These govt organisations have to answer to the whole of singapore for doing so, not sooka sooka just give the citizenship and let these foreigners laugh and mock at us. If these foreigners take our state flag to wipe their backside and throw it behind, you are telling me you don't feel anything? regarding malaysia, we are not begging them for water, it is a contract, thus mutual agreement in the separation.
    a contract is just a contract.....dun u see how much effort our PAP put in to please the msia govt....

There is nothing wrong with begging people for favours.
    Sales people are also begging people to buy their goods.

Remember what you said about masks?
    Same for small time business people in Indonesia.
    Entertain government officials, give them money, so that they approve of permits. Hopefully at the end, got enough money in pocket to buy condos in Singapore.
    so I see nothing wrong with Singapore government begging if it achieves your objectives.

I think people here should really read more of ancient chinese histories.
    Can start reading about King Goujian of Yue. He "endure the unendurable" in order to achieve one's objectives.

Sigh...this talk abt football. Our senior PAP politicians machiam score OWN GOAL with their recent comments.

for sports, a govt desperately give out citizenship, you think it is right?
    this part I agree, sports council is stupid in doing this.
    ... some time ago I talked to an avid sports fan, she shared with me why sometimes they have no choice but to resort to this. it's all due to the sports council's "funding based on merits". u run a sports organization say sailing. u want more ppl to participate, or to promote the sport. so u need funding. u have no money. go ask gov. gov said, ok, I have requests from so many sports clubs/organizations, why should i give u instead of him ? why 10 million not 5 million ? show me your merits. so sports club have to produce "results" by showing what medals they won internationally. in the end it's the various sports club pushing for citizens of these FTs, not the government. I think lately gov already stopped this.

regarding malaysia, we are not begging them for water, it is a contract, thus mutual agreement in the separation.
    we are. make no mistake abt this. that's life. we have no choice. we need msia's water to buy time so to build our own desalination plants/or other means. (we also beg Indonesia for gas and sand)