Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 21-year old disgusted with Straits Times

Default 21-year old disgusted with Straits Times

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/...straits-times/

21-year old disgusted with Straits Times

Dear Straits Times,

I am 21 years old. And I read your papers almost everyday. I liked reading what you offered.

Yesterday in my school’s lecture on politics, we touched on the topic of Social Movement. I never would have thought Singaporeans have the capacity for “movements” until I straddled my presence between Buangkok and Hougang MRT yesterday, in an effort to catch the rallies given by two dominant parties in Singapore.

I have to bear in mind, one is legitimately in rule, while the other have to fight on the sidelines, without the support of you and the dominant mass media networks, that is widely assumed as needs and legitimate sources in Singaporean homes.

credit: Aaron Lim

A Social Movement, indeed, was what I saw when I walked through the supporting crowd of the Workers’ Party. Never in my life in Singapore have I heard the voices of Singaporeans so clear and articulate.

Yes, I was convinced that Singaporeans are talking. You should stop having this mindset that Singaporeans are apathetic. In case you still didn’t know it, I am informing you now. Go write about it.

The Singaporeans want to be heard. But I guess you won’t. Because what Singaporeans are saying is what you dismiss as just a rowdy bunch of comments from a rowdy bunch of “uninformed and ignorant” Singaporeans – who didn’t know what the PAP had been doing for them.

Mind you, your dismissal of their valuable comments make you yourself ignorant of what the united voice of Singaporeans are speaking.

At this point, I admit, you do look stupid. You sound a tat-bit senile to the massive crowd at the Workers’ Party rally, where you took a photograph of and placed in page A8.

Every head you captured has a brain attached, and those brains must be thinking: Is that all you got out of the Workers’ Party rally?

It is such an unmoving piece, from a moving social movement.

It is not purely emotional as you claimed on the front page. There was some substance, if you were to observe and listen more. I juxtaposed your PAP coverage on page A4 with it, and I see so much more of your enthusiasm, in covering the uncalled-for responses of the wives of contesting MPs.

Honestly, what you covered on voices of the wives in the PAP rally are nothing - kosong – as compared to what you had missed out in covering the voices of the citizens in the WP rally.

You didn’t cover how the PAP “crowd” was made up mostly of its own white-shirted people, who are somehow related to the people standing on stage. Almost none of the non-PAP Singaporeans who were there gave a “Majulah Singapura” roar when called to.

And yet, you covered an MP wife’s comment that the crowd at PAP’s “responded to him… the response seems good.” Wait till you hear the comments at the Workers’ Party side! But wait… it was not covered.

When I read your coverage of the Worker’s Party rally, much of what I had just read was just another bunch of skewed words, based on the ideology of the PAP which defines what constitutes a “clean and fair fight”, and what does not.

PAP calls the shots all the time. No wonder PAP says in Buangkok: “Where were the opposition parties for the past 10 years? They only come out during the elections, wanting you to vote for them.”

Have PAP even given the opposition a chance to serve? Come on. They don’t even have the means to.

Give them a break. Stop giving them double-standards. I find myself reading in mounting degrees of disgust as I flipped through the papers I spent 90 cents on.

I want to ask your journalists: What kind of education have they gone through? Have they been so PAP-brain-washed that they cannot even write a proper close-to-objective article without hinting the PAP manifesto?

It’s sad that even the people’s papers, whose purpose was supposedly to report the truths as they were, went into their fair share of politics. I send my condolences to you, my dear Straits Times.

I am not pro-opposition. I stand as a citizen trying to make a decision in this elections which side I will be on.

But I am saying that Straits Times, you should start waking up and write what citizens deserve to hear.

Maybe you had been driving the vehicle too long and have become complacent too? Yours shouldn’t be a bunch of politically correct words. You should report truth, as it is. Uninterrupted.

This way, we will eliminate the possibility that PAP is playing dirty, with you.

Yours Faithfully,

Wong Pei Ting

--
    The Online Citizen
    20 Maxwell Road #09-17
    Maxwell House
    Singapore 069113

Go read today forum, all bashing wp in ajunied,full page, all support pap.
    It so blatantly bootlickg
    They may control the media, under report every opposition
    Over report the miw, with all the trival
    But we got internet, there no way and no where to hide now.

Quote Originally Posted by marktkt22
    Go read today forum, all bashing wp in ajunied,full page, all support pap.
    It so blatantly bootlickg
    They may control the media, under report every opposition
    Over report the miw, with all the trival
    But we got internet, there no way and no where to hide now.
    Too many opposition clones on the Net

vote for the hardworking CLONES!!!

Better than all the lackeys and bootlickers of MIW which the entire Singapore is sick of

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Too many opposition clones on the Net

Egh, no perfect govt in the world leh.

It's what the majority supports that matter.

WP rally very crowded but when it comes to GE, not voted in. AMK in last GE.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Egh, no perfect govt in the world leh.

It's what the majority supports that matter.

When PAP was debating Ministers Pay Increase in Parliament = Government is Perfect

When PAP make mistakes = No perfect government in the world.

It is a lame excuse.

GE 2006, at AMK, WP sent a newbie young team and got 35% of votes against PM Lee's team.

PM Lee was MP of Ang Mo Kio for 20 odd years but still won slightly against a newbie team. It was embarassing for him.

http://singaporeelection.blogspot.co...arrogance.html

PAP's Lui Tuck Yew Reeks of Arrogance and Stupidity

Even after we nailed him 400,000 times, Mr Miyagi nailed him, PAP's Lui Tuck Yew is still not humbled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=67hZVnc7QxM

Why on earth do people listen to Lui Tuck Yew?

The amount of Stupid and Lies that spew forth out of that trap of PAP regime is so unbelievable at time, it almost seems like an act. Unfortunately it’s real life for Lui Tuck Yew, here are some examples:

"When I bought my HDB flat in 1986, after living in a rental flat for 25 years, it was S$110,000. Nine years after that, in the mid-90's, I sold it for close to about S$400,000.

The people of my generation who invested in HDB flats benefited, and the only reason we did so is because we had a strong and stable government that led us forward day by day, month by month, and year by year."
    Mr Lui, how about all the housing loans that eat up all our CPF funds?

"The villagers asked, 'Are these mushrooms any good? They are so pretty. Shall we remove some of these tall trees and allow the wild mushrooms to grow?'

And so the wise old man told them that these mushrooms may look pretty but some of them are poisonous, and 'if you associate too closely with them, these wild mushrooms will weaken us, stunt our growth, and retard our development. Leave them alone, protect the trees, these trees are special trees'."
    Lui's stupidity is so epic.

Fearmongering

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    http://singaporeelection.blogspot.co...arrogance.html

PAP's Lui Tuck Yew Reeks of Arrogance and Stupidity

Even after we nailed him 400,000 times, Mr Miyagi nailed him, PAP's Lui Tuck Yew is still not humbled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=67hZVnc7QxM

Why on earth do people listen to Lui Tuck Yew?

The amount of Stupid and Lies that spew forth out of that trap of PAP regime is so unbelievable at time, it almost seems like an act. Unfortunately it’s real life for Lui Tuck Yew, here are some examples:

"When I bought my HDB flat in 1986, after living in a rental flat for 25 years, it was S$110,000. Nine years after that, in the mid-90's, I sold it for close to about S$400,000.

The people of my generation who invested in HDB flats benefited, and the only reason we did so is because we had a strong and stable government that led us forward day by day, month by month, and year by year."
    Mr Lui, how about all the housing loans that eat up all our CPF funds?

"The villagers asked, 'Are these mushrooms any good? They are so pretty. Shall we remove some of these tall trees and allow the wild mushrooms to grow?'

And so the wise old man told them that these mushrooms may look pretty but some of them are poisonous, and 'if you associate too closely with them, these wild mushrooms will weaken us, stunt our growth, and retard our development. Leave them alone, protect the trees, these trees are special trees'."
    Lui's stupidity is so epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Better than all the lackeys and bootlickers of MIW which the entire Singapore is sick of
    Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices!

When PAP was debating Ministers Pay Increase in Parliament = Government is Perfect

It is a lame excuse.

GE 2006, at AMK, WP sent a newbie young team and got 35% of votes against PM Lee's team.

PM Lee was MP of Ang Mo Kio for 20 odd years but still won slightly against a newbie team. It was embarassing for him.
    And PM said 66.6% is a good result....

Their worst ever result was the 1991 election were they lost 4 seats to opposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapo...election,_1991

At a post-election press conference on the night of 31 August, PM Goh glumly attributed the loss to his "open and consultative style of government" and pledged to re-evaluate his style.

Hrmmm....

can anyone dig out any news about potong pasir and the MRT story in the 80s?

It is a lame excuse.

I not PAP also. Just making a motherhood statement.

No house is perfect

No husband is perfect

No wife is perfect

No car is perfect

No agent is perfect

U tell me which part of my "no govt is perfect" is wrong?

U do what u think it's right will do. Nobody force u to do stupid things.

I understand that some people during early 1960s that pro-white was arrested at night for infringing the ISA. As I say in my another post that when CST won at Potong Pasir, there is no garbage collector at sennett estate for a few days. A lot of the people working in Town council such as chairman, manager, etc, are in the white-team member. Understand why LowTK mentioned yesterday that he will want control of town council.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    can anyone dig out any news about potong pasir and the MRT story in the 80s?

Market forces determine our property prices, not pap. Just ask yourself if pap could save property prices during the 2008/9 crisis? our private property prices dependent on market forces, only public housing is of concern to opposition. Next time think
    Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices!

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I understand that some people during early 1960s that pro-white was arrested at night for infringing the ISA. As I say in my another post that when CST won at Potong Pasir, there is no garbage collector at sennett estate for a few days. A lot of the people working in Town council such as chairman, manager, etc, are in the white-team member. Understand why LowTK mentioned yesterday that he will want control of town council.
    So u mean tat potong pasir nearly didnt get a mrt for their estate?

Market forces determine our property prices, not pap. Just ask yourself if pap could save property prices during the 2008/9 crisis? our private property prices dependent on market forces, only public housing is of concern to opposition. Next time think
    Yes, market forces do determine our property prices. If the economy turns bad, property prices do and will drop. But opposition held wards like hougang and potong pasir will drop even much more.

Just ask yourself why hougang and potong pasir housing prices are way below the rest of the PAP held wards. This is supported by transacted prices as evidence. You can also go check out the transacted prices for evidence. I am not always going to do the homework for you.

Next time think.

So u mean tat potong pasir nearly didnt get a mrt for their estate?
    The PAP says.... If you donch vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour?

d13 pricing for private property you call it low? find me a brand new freehold two bedrm condo near mrt in d13 for less than 1k psf and I will say it is cheap. Ask yourself if prices drop to below $900psf for potong pasir, do you think the unit will be around for more than a week for you to talk about it? Why not talk about geylang, hasn't it been a pap ward for donkey years but look at the prices. Likewise certain parts of d11 near balestier far far cheaper than those near novena. Property is all about location and market forces, nothing to do with opposition ward or not
    Yes, market forces do determine our property prices. If the economy turns bad, property prices do and will drop. But opposition held wards like hougang and potong pasir will drop even much more.

Just ask yourself why hougang and potong pasir housing prices are way below the rest of the PAP held wards. This is supported by transacted prices as evidence. You can also go check out the transacted prices for evidence. I am not always going to do the homework for you.

Next time think.

If pap can say this kind of thing, do they really care for all singaporeans or just their own interest. You have said it for all the opposition supporters here, pap put their self interest above the people which is why we must vote opposition to spk up for us in parliament. As chen show mao says, when you vote, use your head
    The PAP says.... If you donch vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour?

If pap can say this kind of thing, do they really care for all singaporeans or just their own interest. You have said it for all the opposition supporters here, pap put their self interest above the people which is why we must vote opposition to spk up for us in parliament. As chen show mao says, when you vote, use your head
    i use my head tats y not convince to vote for opp.....

irrationally i will vote for OPP!!!

1st world parliament.....immediately feel tat i am a 1st world citizen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    yesterday purposely drove pass serangoon stadium, the crowd is really really scarily big, is like pack until spill outside the stadium, dun noe how will the turn out be today for George Yeo at some venue.

There is obviously something wrong in this thinking. Isn't the "labour" of the PAP funded by taxes paid by every Singaporeans? If so, this is the people's money and so should be use to benefit as many Singaporeans as possible.

PAP is simply wrong to politicise benefit enhancing activities (e.g. building MRT, upgrading HDB estates) by telling Singaporeans if you don't vote for PAP you won't get these "fruits". To me, it's saying this is the PAP's money and can only be used for PAP's cause.

Instead, it should be money used by the government for the benefit of all Singaporeans.

Please do not confuse PAP with the government. The government was PAP (before Parliament dissolved) but PAP is not the government. It is just a political party which started as an opposition party as well with no track record to speak of. We vote in the party to become government. And so the party must govern for the interest of all Singaporeans.

The statement "If you don't vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour?" is simply wrong and confuses the thinking that government should act for the interest of its people (more MRTs, better HDBs) vs. PAP acting for the interest of its voters (which they cannot and should not use public funds to do so).

They are in their comfort zone for so long that they naturally think the zone belongs to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptikos
    There is obviously something wrong in this thinking. Isn't the "labour" of the PAP funded by taxes paid by every Singaporeans? If so, this is the people's money and so should be use to benefit as many Singaporeans as possible.

PAP is simply wrong to politicise benefit enhancing activities (e.g. building MRT, upgrading HDB estates) by telling Singaporeans if you don't vote for PAP you won't get these "fruits". To me, it's saying this is the PAP's money and can only be used for PAP's cause.

Instead, it should be money used by the government for the benefit of all Singaporeans.

Please do not confuse PAP with the government. The government was PAP (before Parliament dissolved) but PAP is not the government. It is just a political party which started as an opposition party as well with no track record to speak of. We vote in the party to become government. And so the party must govern for the interest of all Singaporeans.

The statement "If you don't vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour?" is simply wrong and confuses the thinking that government should act for the interest of its people (more MRTs, better HDBs) vs. PAP acting for the interest of its voters (which they cannot and should not use public funds to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    They are in their comfort zone for so long that they naturally think the zone belongs to them.
    This election will be a wake up call for them...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    This election will be a wake up call for them...
    yeah...tats the whole idea of the election!

ERECT the OPP! hehe

This is especially so in a one-sided parliament.
    yeah...tats the whole idea of the election!

ERECT the OPP! hehe

Next time think.

Every elections, PAP compare property prices between Opposition and PAP areas but this tactic did not work as seen by the elections results at Opposition areas for past 27 and 20 years.

This is because Singaporeans are smarter than fearmongering and threats.

Location of property determinds the price, not politics.

When a run down 4 room 40 years old flat at Bras Basah can sell for $650,000, you know location determinds everything and prices are crazy.

Please show some data to back up your statement. We had gone through this debate in previous thread.

Property websites had shown Opposition areas property price are as high as PAP areas in same vicinities.

Opposition property values are even higher than PAP areas in different vicinities.

Property websites had proved your statements to be untrue and whatever you say now has no credibility anymore.

PAP are doing their usual election fearmongering and threats again thats all.

PAP no longer win votes by earning voters trust and voters affection using their ability.

If you observe, PAP is using more threats and fearmongering as before.

PAP hardly talk about Singapore policies and plans for next 5 years to win votes.

The vote will have little value if Singaporeans need to vote thinking about property value only.

It will be very sad.

If invasion happens, enemy promises not to hurt property value and property, will Singaporeans also surrender and switch sides ?

Really sad.

Fear-mongering

Every elections, PAP compare property prices between Opposition and PAP areas but this tactic did not work as seen by the elections results at Opposition areas for past 27 and 20 years.

This is because Singaporeans are smarter than fearmongering and threats.

Location of property determinds the price, not politics.

When a run down 4 room 40 years old flat at Bras Basah can sell for $650,000, you know location determinds everything and prices are crazy.

Please show some data to back up your statement. We had gone through this debate in previous thread.

Property websites had shown Opposition areas property price are as high as PAP areas in same vicinities.

Opposition property values are even higher than PAP areas in different vicinities.

Property websites had proved your statements to be untrue and whatever you say now has no credibility anymore.

PAP are doing their usual election fearmongering and threats again thats all.

PAP no longer win votes by earning voters trust and voters affection using their ability.

If you observe, PAP is using more threats and fearmongering as before.

PAP hardly talk about Singapore policies and plans for next 5 years to win votes.

The vote will have little value if Singaporeans need to vote thinking about property value only.

It will be very sad.

If invasion happens, enemy promises not to hurt property value and property, will Singaporeans also surrender and switch sides ?

Really sad.