Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 271217181920212223242526273237424752 ... LastLast

Thread: Please post any Election News/Snippets/ Gossips here

Wow! They must have found out that the opp. found out something about him that happen more than 10 years ago. Personal reason could be just an excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralE...ry_661898.html

APR 27, 2011

PM explains why Steve Tan dropped out

By Rachel Chang

Steva Tan, 37, told reporters that he had stepped down for 'personal reasons'. -- PHOTO: PAP
    PRIME Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that 'there is no absolute certainty in any process of choosing people,' when explaining the unprecedented last-minute pullout of unionist Steve Tan from the PAP slate on Nomination Day.

'We're looking for many attributes, strengths and capabilities, and also testing for weaknesses, and there's no process which is 100 per cent accurate.'

'And even if you're accurate now, something may happen later on and we have to revise our assessment,' he said at a press conference after nominations closed on Wednesday.

Mr Tan, 37, told reporters that he had stepped down for 'personal reasons'. MP Baey Yam Kheng replaced him in the Tampines GRC lineup, while new face, surgeon Chia Shih Lu, took Mr Baey's place in Tanjong Pagar GRC.

Mr Lee was unequivocal that party leadership had not known about Mr Tan's past troubles, arguing that the change would not have been at the eleventh hour if they had.

He said that the party and Mr Tan could have 'pretended there was no problem and just carried on'.

'But Steve Tan is honourable, we are (as well), and we decided that awkward as it is, we just had to go through with this and made the last-minute change and explain to people: I'm sorry, something has come up...we have had to make a change.'

Separately, Labour chief Lim Swee Say said Mr Tan was put up as a candidate 'based on our knowledge of his track records over the last 10 years'.

On Mr Tan's decision to drop out of the contest, he said: 'I'm glad he took the decision before the GE. I suppose he came to the decision in the interest of the party, in the interest of the voters. I take consolation that we have responsible people who put the bigger voter interest ahead of personal interest.'

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Wow! They must have found out that the opp. found out something about him that happen more than 10 years ago. Personal reason could be just an excuse.
    Maybe they reserve him to head NTUC union or he clashed with MBT? A bit strange becos TPL get wacked so jialat also survive...

Only Yes man survives. No man has to go. Joo Chiat former MP was very high profile 3 years ago in clan and society activities but turn quiet suddenly and has left politics now.
    Maybe they reserve him to head NTUC union or he clashed with MBT?

WKS super on the ball, like chasing terriorist:

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore...mentid=4803176

Bishan-Toa Payoh PAP team hits the ground running on Nomination Day

®Copyright MediaCorp
    Just hours after Nomination, the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC's People's Action Party team hit the ground running, intensifying their walkabouts in the constituency.*

The team was at Toa Payoh MRT station speaking to residents and mingling with the peak-hour crowd.*

Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, Education Minister Ng Eng Hen, and advisors to the GRC, Mr Hri Kumar, Mr Zainudin Nordin, and Ms Josephine Teo are facing a contest from the Singapore People's Party.*

The SPP candidates are Mr Chiam See Tong, Benjamin Pwee, Wilfred Leung, Jimmy Lee and Mohd Hamim Aliyas.*

Speaking to reporters during the walkabout, DPM Wong says the stakes are high in this election with 82 out of 87 seats contested.*

And he said voters should not take it lightly.*

"Some people may think, well my friends will vote for the PAP, and they can simply cast their vote for the opposition. And if many of them think that way, then we will have different results, and people may very well be surprised by it. That one cross in the box may just take a minute or two, but the process of thinking about that needs careful deliberation."

Have to play balls now otherwise got nothing to play later. There was a string of adverse reply on WKS's article in the Discussion section of the e-straits times. I was trying to find yesterday and seems that it has been removed.

Default Steve Tan

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2662664

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2662482

Extracted from http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb......pe=1&ref=nf

Quoted from one of his ex-colleagues:

"it was the marketing department of the admin and research unit of NTUC umbrella union. he was there in '05 as deputy director or something, a rising star so to speak, "young and talented, up and coming"... yada yada yada.

Let me just cut to the chase: there were no less than 2 girls who worked there the same time i did who told me of their ***ual harassment experience with this guy. and as far as i know it went unreported, undisclosed.. and there were many others who also knew of it. but it seems not enough people stood up for themselves or for the others to make it known."

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Cannot say like that lah, I passed by heartland neighbourhood schools and same thing long queue of cars parked on the left lane and some causing obstruction to the only other passable right lane. If say traffic police biased, these people should be booked first and there will not be such problem in the heartland. Problem seems to be that there is no/insufficient traffic police at all!

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i dun drive .... so i am not a sinner

only ruling party can tell white lies ?

contesting party's white lies will still be lies ? i suspect thats how it is ... unfair lor

i didnt say that want to drive and yet demand cheap car etc

i only say the policies were ineffective .. and are mere money making regulations disguise

i am sure there are better policies to curb car populations ...without making the people ( not me ..i dont drive) make so high price ...

i commend your effort to going green ...

there are more examples of unfair treatments ... which can take forever ..

1 last one ..before i stop writing ..

rich people (possibly ministers family menbers themselves ) hogging the bus lane along Dunearn road..sending and picking their children to and from GOOD SCHOOLS .. during morning and evening peak hours ..

where are the traffic police ?

they are busy hiding elsewhere taking pictures of 1 or 2 cars using the bus lane .. say at upp serangoon road ?

When does the rally start? Anyone attended any rally tonight?

rallies start tomorrow and ends next thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    When does the rally start? Anyone attended any rally tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    rallies start tomorrow and ends next thursday.
    lunch time at boat q tmr...any1?

Still got to work not like you. Pls share with us when you return.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    lunch time at boat q tmr...any1?

Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices!

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...020245855.html

The People's Action Party candidate who dropped out of the elections last minute has dismissed online speculation about the reasons why he suddenly pulled out.

Steven Tan Peng Hoe, who was expected to run in the Tampines Group Representation Constituency, withdrew his candidacy at the 11th hour late on Tuesday night, citing "personal reasons".Unsubstantiated claims on internet forums said his decision could be down to harrassment issues when he was working at the National Trade Union Congress (NTUC) umbrella union. The poster also said letters have been sent to the Prime Minister's Office.

However, speaking to Yahoo! Singapore, Tan declined to go into the details of his decision.

He said he "has not heard about the speculation" but "thinks that people are starting it because of the short notice of the withdrawal."

But when asked if he will continue to conduct activities under the PAP banner, Tan said that he could not comment. However, he said he plans to continue with his work and daily life.

Earlier, Tan said he withdrew his candidacy after a talk with his wife and called the decision, "a hard one".

Later on Wednesday, PM Lee addressed the issue during a press conference and said the PAP "were unaware" of Tan's issue until the last minute but were prepared to make final-hour adjustments.

PM Lee said he did not want go into details about why he withdrew except that it was a "personal decision" by Tan which the PAP "accepted".Steve Tan Peng Hoe (left) along with Foo Mee Har and Desmond Lee Ti-Seng when they were unveiled as part of PAP's …

When he was first introduced to the media, Tan said he was a grassroots volunteer at Tampines East and helped out at Meet-the-People Sessions, among other activities.

A business graduate of the Nanyang Technological University, he also helps to manage the community website, My Tampines. He had said that he sees being an "ordinary guy" as a strength.
    "When I'm doing my union work, this is one aspect I love: I hang out at the same places and do the same things as my workers... we eat roti prata at Jalan Kayu together," he said. "It will make it easier for me to relate to voters," he said.
    Tan's sudden withdrawal caused a last-minute PAP reshuffle with Tanjong Pagar MP Baey Yam Keng moving over to Tampines GRC.
    "I was informed just yesterday, on Tuesday evening. I did a quick drive through last night and looked around town. The profile of the residents here are different from Queenstown and Tanjong Pagar," said Mr Baey.
    He also added that he hopes to be given a chance to serve the Tampines community.

Replacing Baey in Tanjong Pagar, in turn, is Singapore General Hospital doctor Dr Chia Shi Lu, who has worked on the grassroots level in Aljunied and Hougang.
    Media raised the issue on how and why Dr Chia managed to get a "free pass" into Parliament after Tanjong Pagar GRC went uncontested.
    PM Lee said in response that at the time when Dr Chia was drafted into the GRC team led by MM Lee, the PAP could not possibly know that Tanjong Pagar would not be contested.

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices!
    u change side so fast ar? jus sold ur ppty?

u change side so fast ar? jus sold ur ppty?
    I am using sarcasm. Folks anyhow want to vote opposition without thinking how it will affect their property prices

I am using sarcasm. Folks anyhow want to vote opposition without thinking how it will affect their property prices
    is hougang and potong pasir property price now very cheap meh? i am not so familiar on these 2 estates...or is it geylang?

OPP can win up to 4GRCs still under 1/3 wor....An Lah

OPP can win up to 4GRCs still under 1/3 wor....An Lah

can win so much? singaporeans most KS (kia si)one...

thank you PAP.. you have our interest at heart..

*are they kinda of threatening, when they mention about properties value to maintain or go up..?
    i dont rember properties mention at the last election..

From share investor forum:

View Steve Tan Peng Hoe 's CV Here
    http://www.pap.org.sg/uploads/ap/802...eng_hoe_cv.pdf

View the introduction on Channel NewsAsia

Dr Ng Eng Hen, who is the PAP's Organising Secretary (Special Duties), said: "All the candidates we have introduced, we have seen the majority of CEC, comprising mainly cabinet ministers and senior party leaders, at least five to six teams...(underwent) very deep drilling and grilling...to understand the motivations and also to assess that under pressure, can this person deliver? Will he run and buckle? Because there is a lot to lose if he can't get it right. This is the third generation leadership handing over our destiny. We wanted to make sure that these were men and women of substance.

"I would say the 24 candidates have handled themselves well. They have not overstretched themselves, not over-promised, they would have to find their own way and convince Singaporeans and be able to connect with (them). [b]We are pleased and more assured that we have capable leaders in place.[b]"
    Last edited by land118; 28-04-11 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    is hougang and potong pasir property price now very cheap meh? i am not so familiar on these 2 estates...or is it geylang?
    opp's housing policy proposals all super power packed

govt reserves vy rich wat....official figures xxx....in reality, obviously more den tat....we just take a small portion....small change la....

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71
    thank you PAP.. you have our interest at heart..

*are they kinda of threatening, when they mention about properties value to maintain or go up..?
    i dont rember properties mention at the last election..
    in 2006, HDB px still sleeping volcano

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    Very cheap sale prices of course. even the rentals there are cheaper than equivalent ones in PAP wards. You as a property agent of all folks should know.

Very cheap sale prices of course. even the rentals there are cheaper than equivalent ones in PAP wards. You as a property agent of all folks should know.
    ever wondered y queenstown always highest in px? asnwer is so obvious

ever wondered y queenstown always highest in px? asnwer is so obvious
    Just say your property prices affected if you vote opposition thench everybody in this forum kuai kuai vote PAP already

caveat: except for the buyers

OMG - I didn't realise till I watched these. Thank you for posting these.
    Can't imagine paying SGD 15k for this quality of candidate - but as the saying goes "I rather be lucky than smart" and she's damn lucky she parachuted into the PAP.

Just say your property prices affected if you vote opposition thench everybody in this forum kuai kuai vote PAP already

caveat: except for the buyers
    ya la beat around the bush,go straight to the point la.

kuai kuai..?

its more likely LAN LAN..

The big question is why the hell would they choose someone like Tin Peiling or Foo Mee Har out of many more capable people out there who can't wait to jump into the vampire squad

"I would say the 24 candidates have handled themselves well. They have not overstretched themselves, not over-promised, they would have to find their own way and convince Singaporeans and be able to connect with (them). [b]We are pleased and more assured that we have capable leaders in place.[b]"

Taken from http://miyagi.sg/2011/04/how-to-solv...iling-issue-2/

How to solve the Tin Peiling issue
    on April 12, 2011 · 10 Comments and 41 Reactions · in Laws of our land
    An old friend of mine wrote this on Face*book, and it’s too good not to republish:

The PAP was for many years joc*u*larly referred to as Pian Ah Pek or Pay and Pay. I remem*ber one after*noon, many years ago, talk*ing to the elderly Toh Chin Chye. He was by then long estranged from the party and still very anti-PAP. I shared with him these alter*na*tive inter*pre*ta*tion of his erst*while party’s acronym and was aston*ished that he hadn’t heard these rather clever jokes before. I was even more aston*ished when he burst out with such mirth that he wept; for a few min*utes he was so seized by parox*ysms of laugh*ter, he almost choked. This sweet moment for him had to be pro*longed and savoured. And so, in between more hearty guf*faws and dab*bing the tears rolling down his still-full cheeks, he asked me to repeat the joke, along with the other pokes about what WP, SJP and SDP also stood for. To refresh your mem*ory: Why Pay? (Work*ers Party), Some Jok*ers Pay (the defunct Sin*ga*pore Jus*tice Party) and So Don’t Pay (Sin*ga*pore Demo*c*ra*tic Party). I chuck*led with him and we con*tin*ued a great yarn.

By now, of course, that joke is so 1990s. Not that the mean*ing has expired with time, since the PAP today still sub*scribes to that phi*los*o*phy. User pays is in fact immutable, sacred dogma. I’d like to add another inter*pre*ta*tion of PAP that is time*less in lan*guage and, regret*tably, in mean*ing too: Patro*n*is*ing, Arro*gant Pols. True, not as witty, but nei*ther am I.

Today we still see a polit*i*cal party that is Arro*gant and Patro*n*ises the elec*torate, despite great strides over some 15 yrs since that joke was in vogue. This Arro*gance and Patro*n*is*ing atti*tude rears its unpleas*ant head espe*cially in the run-up to the Gen*eral Elec*tion, which is trag*i*cally unfor*tu*nate tim*ing for the Party. In the inter*ven*ing years between each elec*toral period, the PAP in fact strives its utmost to gov*ern the coun*try wisely, tak*ing great pains to explain and pla*cate bewil*dered and/or dis*grun*tled peo*ple affected by any new pol*icy, adopts a very patient and hum*ble tone to edu*cate the cit*i*zenry and finesse new ini*tia*tives it rolls out, with a few Truly Spec*tac*u*lar Fail*ures in between (more below).

Yet when it comes time for it to really go out on a charm offen*sive, when we vot*ers are about to receive our polling slips and decide to give them “five more years”, to adapt the US elec*toral turn-of-phrase, the PAP dis*plays a Patro*n*is*ing and Arro*gant atti*tude instead. And every time it has been pun*ished for this unseemly behaviour.

In the mat*ter of Tin Peil*ing, SM Goh Chok Tong is reported to have told this young polit*i*cal hot potato to ignore the “noise”. This Noise is, quel hor*reur, actu*ally the Elec*torate, Mr Goh! The Noise is emit*ting from the very peo*ple she is try*ing to win over and even*tu*ally serve. Admit*tedly, not all those who com*plain are in the MacPher*son ward where she is slated to run. After all, MacPher*son is known to have a lot of old, blue-collared vot*ers who are less likely to be set*ting the blo*gos*phere aflame — and that’s where the old joke about Pian Ah Pek still rings true and fresh after all these years. Par*don us for being hoi pol*loi, but it is we who are assess*ing the par*ties over*all, even if we only get to vote for indi*vid*ual MPs assigned to each con*stituency. I am sorry that we the peo*ple of Sin*ga*pore are so both*er*some to our polit*i*cal lead*ers. After so many years of endemic walkovers, the Patro*n*is*ing, Arro*gant Pols may have for*got*ten that this time, a lot of us can actu*ally exer*cise our right to vote.

And just to clar*ify, but not to belabour the point, this Noise is not ema*nat*ing from polit*i*cal pun*dits, not med*dling for*eign inter*fer*ence, not sneer*ing and jeal*ous neigh*bours who wish us ill, not even the mot*ley oppo*si*tion in Sin*ga*pore. This Noise is Sin*ga*porean Voters.

I am just old enough to remem*ber the enor*mous uproar caused by the Grad*u*ate Mother Pol*icy, fol*lowed by the mor*ti*fy*ing climb-down. Then the con*de*scend*ing dis*missal of Chiam See Tong’s “O” lev*els results, the con*se*quences for which the rul*ing party has had to live with for many, many years. Then last election’s mor*ti*fy*ing climb down regard*ing PM Lee’s Freudian slip about “fix*ing the oppo*si*tion”, and back*ing off on The James Gomez Inci*dent. Then in this lat*est elec*tion cycle, the des*per*ate shut*ting of the sta*ble doors after the for*eign*ers bolted in in what must be the Most Spec*tac*u*larly Unpop*u*lar Pol*icy in Singapore’s short his*tory. Add Mere Mor*tal LKY’s art*ful “I stand cor*rected” retraction-without-a-retraction.

This pre-election, it will have to be about Tin Peil*ing. The crit*i*cal dif*fer*ence, though, is no senior cadre needs to be named, blamed and shamed; she can be her own sac*ri*fi*cial lamb.

Tin Peil*ing was picked pre*cisely to appeal to her peers, so it is with tragic irony that it is those same peers — and plenty of us older vot*ers — who are bay*ing for her removal/ solo contest/ jump*ing off coat-tails. Her pres*ence is a grow*ing and hideous blot on the PAP’s oth*er*wise bur*nished rep*u*ta*tion. What a dis*trac*tion for not only a Senior Min*is*ter to retire grace*fully while unveil*ing his exit strat*egy; but to eclipse the intro*duc*tion of a much more hon*ourable can*di*date, a for*mer Army chief. Beyond dis*tract*ing, it is marring.

By insist*ing on her cre*den*tials and hang*ing on to her, the PAP risks reviv*ing its image as Patro*n*is*ing, Arro*gant Pols on account of one such mere mor*tal (mm, not MM). Why? Is she really worth it? Is she worth rekin*dling cyn*i*cal vot*ers? Is she worth lost votes in other con*stituen*cies to the oppo*si*tion? Is she worth the dimin*ished regard of the PAP’s hal*lowed abil*i*ties? Is she worth the unnec*es*sary detrac*tion from other wor*thy can*di*dates? And, yes, is she worth so much Noise??

Early on, there was talk of a sui*cide squad of oppo*si*tion MPs to con*test both impreg*nable con*stituen*cies: Tan*jong Pagar and Marine Parade. I don’t know if that idea is still alive regard*ing that rather bit player party that rises like Lazarus from the dead at each elec*tion. If so, it might actu*ally get a whole lot more votes this time than even it could hope for in its wildest dreams.

So, to return to my sug*ges*tion. Tin Peil*ing should sim*ply bow out of her own accord, acknowl*edge that Finance Min*is*ter has been man*fully striv*ing to close the income gap not as an extra-curricular activ*ity but because he and his wiser col*leagues actu*ally do believe that it is the Government’s respon*si*bil*ity to do so, and save the party the ignominy of los*ing a stag*ger*ing lot of votes, and unnec*es*sary dis*trac*tion, and all the other rea*sons already mentioned.

Then to prove her met*tle, she can thumb her nose at us Noise by fol*low*ing her name*sake, Sarah Palin, and run for (Sin*ga*pore) President.