Page 32 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2712172227282930313233343536374247525762 ... LastLast

Thread: Please post any Election News/Snippets/ Gossips here

Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices!

roger
    will do
    wilco out!

PAP Michael Palmer didn't even know exactly where his ward is

Summary is like this: SDA Punggol East candidate Desmond Lim suggested building recreational facilities near Serangoon river but Michael Palmer counters that the area stated was not under Punggol East SMC. Turns out that Michael Palmer selfpwned and apologized for his mistake this morning.

Source: Today's wanbao

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3212617

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3212237

Man breaks down in tears upon meeting outgoing Chiam See Tong

‘YOU GIVE ME MORE APPLAUSE THAN I DESERVE’

By Cheryl Chan

Political Correspondent

At the Singapore People’s Party rally at Hong Kah last night, a grown man broke down in tears when he met Mr Chiam See Tong. Looking at the raw emotion that the mere mention of his name is capable of evoking, one could be forgiven for mistaking Mr Chiam for a saint; such is the aura of the man.

Ever since he was elected into Parliament in 1984, Mr Chiam has worked tirelessly against colossal odds to serve the people he so loves. As one of only two opposition MPs in the House apart from a brief period between 1991 to 1997, he has been a lonely voice of resistance against the PAP political juggernaut, speaking up for the underprivileged and oppressed while the government machine steamrolled on in the single-minded pursuit of economic growth.

Mr Chiam’s down-to-earth humility and personal touch is the precise reason why he has been re-elected again and again by the residents of Potong Pasir, even in the face of dirty tactics by the PAP in their attempts to unseat him.

And it was that same trademark humility that marked Mr Chiam’s first speech of what will probably be his final election campaign. Bent over, hunched and walking with a limp, Mr Chiam is no longer the rousing speaker that he once was, thanks to the ravages of age and a crippling stroke that threatened to expedite his retirement from politics. These days, he delivers his speeches slowly and with a slur; yet the adoring crowds still lap up every single word. As he hobbled up to the rostrum to address them, they chanted his name incessantly – with passion, with gusto and with heartfelt adoration.

Thanking the audience profusely, Mr Chiam’s first words were: “You give me more applause than I deserve.”

He went on to emphasise his view that opposition is the essence of democracy. He said that it was imperative that there should be a transparency and accountability in governance, and that the ruling party ought to have its power checked and balanced by opposition MPs.

He paused at certain junctures, however, and at one point a member of the audience called out to him, saying: “Mr Chiam, you don’t have to speak. We will vote for you!”

Mr Chiam also urged more people to step forward and join the opposition cause, saying: “Every one of us can take part in politics. I can assure you that nothing will happen to you; I am a living example you can follow. I really wish that more of you will follow my example.”

He wrapped up his speech with yet more self-deprecation: “I am not actually a brave man. But I love Singapore and I love Singaporeans.”

After the rally ended, some supporters were so moved by his presence that they started to cry. A man in his 60s said to him upon shaking his hand: “I feel so happy for you that I am crying. I hope you win.”

Of course, Mr Chiam is fighting to win, and has even gone as far as saying that he believes he will triumph over the incumbent PAP team in Bishan-Toa Payoh, which comprises two heavyweight ministers in Wong Kan Seng and Ng Eng Hen. Most observers say that the chances of an upset are slim, but Mr Chiam has been an underdog for pretty much all of his dazzling political career.

Whether he wins or loses, Chiam See Tong is guaranteed a place in Singapore’s political folklore for generations to come. However, just about every single person in the country is silently rooting for him to score yet another fairytale victory as he embarks upon his last hurrah.

The author is a political correspondent at The Satay Club. She works as an analyst in a leading multinational research firm.

http://satayclub.net/2011/04/you-giv...han-i-deserve/

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...XN0Aw--;_ylv=3

Potong Pasir residents rally behind Chiam

Potong Pasir stands behind Chiam See Tong (third from right) as he runs for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. (Yahoo! photo/ …

Chiam See Tong and Potong Pasir are united as one.

Or so it appeared, based on the proceedings of the Singapore People's Party (SPP) rally held at Potong Pasir on Saturday evening.

Potong Pasir residents were in full force as they cheered loudly and rushed to catch a glimpse of him when he arrived and left the rally, much like the adoring fans of a superstar celebrity.

Despite being physically frail after suffering two strokes, Chiam is determined to carry out his wish for better opposition representation in Parliament, hence his decision to leave Potong Pasir to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC was a difficult one.

The soon-to-be former Potong Pasir incumbent was explaining his reason for leaving the SMC in his speech, saying, "Some of you don't understand why I am leaving Potong Pasir for Bishan-Toa Payoh." But a section of the crowd interjected, screaming, "We understand Mr Chiam, we understand!"

"In order to have a fair and just government, the opposition needs to be better represented in Parliament," he said.

Acknowledging the cheers and support from the crowd, the 71-year-old said, "Together we can make history in Bishan-Toa Payoh!"

Chiam also admitted that it is a dangerous move on his part to go into Bishan-Toa Payoh, and risking his chances of retaining his seat in Parliament, as residents there do not know him that well.

But his Potong Pasir 'fans' were nevertheless supportive.

"Your dream will come true, don't worry Mr Chiam," added another section of the estimated 3,000-strong crowd.

Benjamin Pwee, a member of Chiam's Bishan-Toa Payoh team, said, "Chiam did not walk out of Potong Pasir, it is the spirit of Potong Pasir that walked into Bishan-Toa Payoh."

Such is the respect and support Potong Pasir residents have for Chiam, who has been at the helm of the single-seat ward for the past 27 years.

"I have to really applaud Mr Chiam. He has been ever present to this neighbourhood the past 20 over years, and even with his health so poor, he still wants to serve the people of Singapore and Potong Pasir.

He has my utmost respect,"32-year-old accountant Joshua Teo told Yahoo! Singapore.

"I feel sad that Potong Pasir is losing such a great leader, but I wish Chiam See Tong well and hope that he can succeed in Bishan-Toa Payoh," added 41-year-old businessman Peter Lee.

Chiam See Tong and his wife, Lina. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

However, with Chiam leaving Potong Pasir, the task of contesting the seat has fallen to his wife, Lina.

She quashed talk of nepotism when Chiam decided to pass the baton of leading Potong Pasir to her, but said, "My husband did not choose me because I'm his wife. He chose me because I have been helping him for more than 20 years in Potong Pasir."

On the note of being unknown to residents in the area, she added that her conservative nature as a wife led to her doing more of the background work, and leaving the spotlight on her husband.

Seemingly having the support of the Chiam faithful, who were loudly chanting her name, some people Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said she will still have to prove herself to residents.

Watch the video of Potong Pasir residents shouting Lina Chiam's name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4lUP...layer_embedded

Madam Tan, 52, an administrative assistant who has been living in Potong Pasir for 19 years, said, "I've seen her (Lina) once in a while, but never really spoken to her at all.

"Chiam See Tong has been a very dedicated MP here, that's why I came tonight to support him and also to hear what Mrs Chiam has to say.

Honestly, I am not sure who I will vote for this time," she added.

With their huge loyalty to Chiam See Tong on one hand, and a relatively unproven successor on the other, will the people of Potong Pasir stick with the Chiam name, or will People's Action Party's Sitoh Yi Pin finally get his break and be third-time lucky?

We will know, come 7 May.

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
    This article is published by Yahoo! Southeast Asia Pte. Ltd., 60 Anson Road #13-01 Mapletree Anson, Singapore, 079914.

This is scary!!! i really hope it will not happen!!

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05/01/will-the-pap-win-all-82-seats-contested-on-7-may/

Will the PAP win all 82 seats contested on 7 May?

May 1st, 2011 | Author: Contributions

Next week at this time of the night, the results of Singapore’s 14 general election will be known. Will we see the PAP making a clean sweep of all the 82 contested seats or the opposition making a breakthrough and deny the PAP its traditional two-thirds majority in parliament?
    Both scenarios are considered ‘freak results’ at opposite ends of the spectrum, each with widespread ramifications for the future of Singapore. Do we want to progress towards a pluralistic democracy or regress back into a totalitarian state dominated by a single party?
    PAP de facto leader Lee Kuan Yew proclaimed confidently that the PAP will win the coming election (hands down) as the only hotspot is Aljunied GRC.
    Some may be quick to dismiss Lee’s predictions and slam him for being arrogance, but being an experienced politician who contested in 13 general elections, his words cannot be discounted lightly.
    While many expect the PAP’s percentage of votes to fall below 60 percent and even 55 percent, we must not forget that the PAP need only win slightly more than 50 percent of the votes in each constituency to make a clean sweep of all of them.
    Lee Kuan Yew is a lawyer and he used his legal knowledge to introduce all kinds of repressive laws to curtail the political rights of Singaporeans. His son is a mathematician – surely he will use statistics to predict his own chances before the election.
    The PAP has a ‘research unit’ under the XXX department of a ministry which does the background research on the ground before every general election. It conduct opinion polls, assess public sentiments and analyze voting patterns in the last election.
    Even before the election is called, the PAP already knows which are the constituencies they are likely to win easily as well as the potential ‘hotspots’ to take note.
    That’s why the electoral boundaries are usually announced a month before the general election not only to throw the opposition’s preparations off guard, but to maximize the accuracy of the PAP’s own predictions. Please remember: The PAP is never known to take any chances, especially when its own political survival is at stake.
    Lee Kuan Yew’s response to the strong challenge posed by the Workers’ Party in Aljunied GRC is completely out of his usual character. He appeared almost nonchalant when he said that losing Aljunied GRC does not ‘mean the end of the world’ for the PAP. Will he be still so relaxed if Aljunied is in real danger of falling to WP?
    Going by Lee’s temperament, he is likely to fly into a rage if Aljunied GRC is in any danger of falling to the opposition. Let us recall his reaction in three previous elections:
    1. 1988: Faced with a formidable challenge from former Solicitor-General Francis Seow in Eunos GRC, Lee attacked Seow relentlessly in the mainstream media and accused him of being a CIA agent. With his moral character demolished and reputation in tatters, the papers ran pages after pages about Seow’s extra-marital affair. PAP only managed to win Eunos GRC by 0.3 percent of the votes, the closest the opposition ever came to winning a GRC.
    2. 1991: Eunos GRC was a hotspot again and this time round, it was contested by a WP team led by Jufrie Mahmood, a charismatic speaker who was highly regarded within the Malay community. As expected, the PAP and state media launched a smear campaign against Jufrie, painting him as a racist and ‘Malay chauvinist’. With the Chinese voters hoodwinked by the PAP’s racist rhetoric, the PAP did slightly better by winning 53 percent of the votes. Eunos GRC was subsequently ‘absorbed’ into Marine Parade and East Coast GRCs, disappearing from the electoral map altogether.
    3. 1997: The contest in Cheng San GRC was one of the fiercest battle fought in recent history. The WP team led by Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam and Tang Liang Hong were able to win substantial support from the voters and there were rumors that Cheng San may fall to WP. For the entire nine days of campaigning, the PAP sent its heavy-weight ministers to Cheng San including Lee Kuan Yew, Lee Hsien Loong and Goh Chok Tong to lend support to the team led by the languid Lee Yoke Suan. Tang Liang Hong was mercilessly attacked in the press and accused of being a ‘Chinese chauvinist’. PAP eventually won by 55 percent of the votes. Jeyaretnam was sued for defamation and bankrupted while Tang fled to Australia where he is residing ever since.
    The Workers’ Party won only 43.7 percent of the valid votes in Aljunied GRC during the 2006 general election. George Yeo later revealed that he had expected to win more than 60 percent of the votes if not for the James Gomez fiasco which actually swayed the fence-sitters to the opposition.
    With nearly 20,000 voters being transferred to Aljunied from the PAP strongholds of Ang Mo Kio and Marine Parade, it will be an uphill task for WP to defeat the PAP.
    Based on Lee’s cavalier attitude towards Aljunied GRC so far, we can safely assume that the PAP is never in real danger of losing Aljunied GRC as Lee did not even bother to visit Aljunied to speak to the voters. WP’s candidates in Aljunied were also ’spared’ being wacked by Lee’s ‘knucle-dusters’ and none of them were singled out for attacks by the state media like in the past.
    The truth is: Lee Kuan Yew probably received reports that the PAP is likely to win all the constituencies comfortably which explained his confidence when he predicted boldly that the PAP will not lose the election.
    The expected drop in the percentage of votes from native Singaporeans disgruntled with the PAP’s economic and immigration policies are likely to be compensated at least partly by votes from the new citizens who are grateful to the PAP for giving them a second chance in life. Together with votes from the senior citizens, civil servants and conservative voters worried about the values of their properties, the PAP will still be able to win most seats albeit with a lower percentage of votes.
    On 7 May, the all too familiar scene is likely to repeat itself – the PAP wins all the 82 contested seats. Scenes of celebration erupt in the PAP headquarters. PM Lee gives a speech thanking Singaporeans for giving the PAP another ‘overwhelming’ mandate. The status quo will remain. For the first time since 1981, Singaporeans will have no elected opposition MPs in parliament to speak up for them.
    What kind of future will we be expecting under another 5 years of PAP rule?
    Lee Kuan Yew has already proclaimed that Singapore still needs 900,000 foreign workers on work permits and no PAP MP will dare to rebuke him. With no opposition in parliament, the PAP will be able to pass any bills and laws without having to account to anybody. Once Lee opens his mouth, 900,000 foreign workers will be shipped to our shore instantaneously and we will have to welcome them with an ‘open heart’ as exhorted by his son the Prime Minister.
    The stakes are very high in the coming general election – it is the last window of opportunity for Singaporeans to reclaim ownership of their beloved nation. Only 57 percent of the population are Singaporeans now. The percentage is likely to drop below 50 percent by the election after the next. Our voices and votes will be diluted and we will be stuck with the PAP forever.
    The odds are against the opposition. A freak election result may happen and Singaporeans will end up with 87 PAP MPs in parliament.
    Time is running out. It’s NOW or NEVER. We only have one week left to make a difference, after which we will have to live with the consequences of our actions or non-action. Every one of us has a role to play. Think of your future and the future of your children. What kind of Singapore do you want them to live in? Do you want them to pay the price of your indecisiveness now?
    The 14th general election will be a watershed election in the history of Singapore. If we lose, we will have absolutely no second chance of redeeming ourselves ever again. The PAP never gives its opponents a second chance. We should not be expecting any mercy from them.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...013557497.html

SDP's Tan: How much did Temasek, GIC lose?

Singapore Democratic Party's (SDP) candidate Tan Jee Say has hit back at criticisms by PAP Ministers over remarks that the S$60 billion cost to implement his economic plan was "small change".

"Let me ask the honourable minister, did you ask the Government Investment Corporation (GIC) and Temasek Holdings how many zeroes there were in the tens or hundreds of billions of dollars they lost in bad investments?" Tan said, referring to an earlier remark made on Thursday by DPM Teo Chee Hean.

"Till now Singaporeans have not been told the true figures of their investment losses. Whether it was in the tens of billions or hundreds of billions? But their refusal to disclose the figures can only mean that it was not small," said Tan.

"That minister, is not small change, it is lost. But the S$60 billion that I have proposed will remain invested in Singapore schools, hospitals, polyclinics…and many other public ventures to benefit Singaporeans," he added.

Tan -- who was the former principal private secretary to then DPM Goh Chok Tong -- was speaking to an estimated crowd of 3,000 at Jurong East on Friday.

The investment adviser, 57, was defending his National Regeneration Plan, which will cost an estimated S$60 billion to implement, to develop Singapore into a "full-fledged integrated services hub for the region".

He argues that the plan could be financed either by selling a portion of assets from Temasek Holdings or through the national reserves.

Tan also took issue with a remark by Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, that it takes at least a decade to accumulate S$60 billion.

The former civil service high-flier, who spent six years in the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) , claims that from 2006 to 2008, the general government finance had recorded a surplus of S$75 billion.

"That is $15 billion more than my proposed S$60 billion fund and that took place in three years, not ten years as you thought wrongly," said Tan.
    Instead, Tan hit back at Dr Balakrishnan for the "overblown" Youth Olympic Games (YOG) budget.

"Tell us how you overspend the YOG budget by over S$300 million? That to us is not small change. We are waiting for your accounts," said Tan.

"Let me give you a bit of advice, Mr Minister. Manage your own ministry's budget well first before you comment about the figures of other people."

Tan is part of the four-member team that will contest the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) team led by Dr Balakrishnan in the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC in the coming General Election.

The rally's last speaker for the day, Dr Vincent Wijeysingha, 40, also weighed in on DPM Teo's comments that the reserves gave Singaporeans a sense of "comfort".

"The reserves are money; they are not there to give us confidence and comfort. Teddy bears are there to give us confidence and comfort," he said.
    "Money is there to be invested for the future of the people of Singapore.

And it is a very basic idea when the business is doing well, when you're strong, when your reserve is large, you invest for the future," said the social worker.

"When you're in a weaker period, you draw back, you close it, you consolidate. We are in a strong period now," he added.

At the rally, the SDP candidates also pressed on the issue of education, reiterating its stand for smaller-class sizes and a change in the mentality of the country's education system.

Related articles

Emotions run high at SPP rally

We will take care of you: PM Lee

Rallies on Saturday
    This article is published by Yahoo! Southeast Asia Pte. Ltd., 60 Anson Road #13-01 Mapletree Anson, Singapore, 079914.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    PAP Michael Palmer didn't even know exactly where his ward is

Summary is like this: SDA Punggol East candidate Desmond Lim suggested building recreational facilities near Serangoon river but Michael Palmer counters that the area stated was not under Punggol East SMC. Turns out that Michael Palmer selfpwned and apologized for his mistake this morning.

Source: Today's wanbao

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3212617

FAIL!!! EPIC FAIL!!!!

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...202415509.html

Emotions run high at SPP rally

An ardent supporter breaks down upon meeting Mr Chiam See Tong, (Yahoo! photo/Christine Choo)

For one man in his 60s, it was just too much to bear.

Moments after the Singapore People's Party's (SPP) first General Election rally at Jurong West ended on Friday, he was so moved by secretary-general Chiam See Tong's speech that he began to tear.

The man cried as he shook Mr Chiam's hand and said, "I feel so happy for you that I am crying. I hope you win."

Others added more words of encouragement, including one who said, "We need more people like you."

Indeed, many in the estimated 1,200-strong crowd had come just from across the island -- some from as far as Woodlands --just to hear Singapore's longest-serving opposition MP speak.

Crane operator Nizam, 26, who stays in Choa Chu Kang, attended the rally even though he would not have the opportunity to vote for the SPP, which will be contesting only in Hong Kah North SMC, Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC and Potong Pasir SMC.

"I came down to see Mr Chiam, because I wanted to see him in person, to hear him speak. He's a great man," he said.

"He's a legend," added Hanizah Zaini, 27, a customer service officer. "It's amazing that he is still here (and standing for election again), against all odds."

The most poignant moment of the night came when Mr Chiam -- hunched and bowed by old age and the lasting effects of a stroke -- took to the stage.
    Even as the audience chanted his name, the Potong Pasir MP for the last 27 years said humbly, "You give me more applause than I deserve."

Explaining his decision why he's contesting another election at the age of 76, the former lawyer said, "I am not actually a brave man. But I love Singapore and I love Singaporeans."

Speaking in a slow, measured voice, he said that the opposition is the essence of democracy and that the government needs to be more transparent and accountable.

Urging the audience to make their vote count, he said, "Every one of us can take part in politics. I can assure you that nothing will happen to you; I am a living example you can follow."

The crowd responded and at one point, a resident called out, "Mr Chiam, you don't have to speak. We will vote for you!" while others applauded to show encouragement.

(Yahoo! photo/Christine Choo)

During the rally, Chiam's wife Lina -- who will be taking over her husband to contest in Potong Pasir -- also delivered her maiden speech.

Acknowledging that she was more well-known as "Mrs Chiam See Tong", she was determined to stand on her own two feet.

"My name is Mrs Lina Chiam, not Mrs Chiam See Tong. I am my own person, and I will do things my own way," she declared to resounding cheers.
    Mrs Chiam, 62, also revealed some of the trials Mr Chiam faced as an opposition MP.

This included an incident where Mr Chiam planted a tree that was given to him as a gift, but it was uprooted and killed with acid by unknown enemies—a story that even her fellow SPP candidates themselves were unaware of.

Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC candidate Benjamin Pwee later told Yahoo! Singapore he was "completely touched by the Chiams", while his teammate Jimmy Lee was inspired by the stories shared on the night.

"I now have renewed strength for the coming week," Lee said.

Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC candidate Benjamin Pwee encourages the crowd to face their fear of voting the opposition. …

Pwee himself took to the podium earlier in the night and spoke passionately about the need for voters to overcome their fear of voting for the opposition.

The former government scholar shared that he had battled fear for the longest time, eventually telling himself that "if (he was) going to step out, it has to be for the people."

Addressing comments made previously that voting for the opposition was akin to making a ship sink, he responded, "Which opposition candidate will put everything on the line to bring this ship down?"

Enthusiastic supporters cheer the SPP candidates on as they speak. (Yahoo! photo/Christine)

Despite the night of drama and rhetoric, however, the question remains how and if residents will be swayed to vote for the SPP or the PAP.

Hong Kah North SMC resident Linda Tan, 30, remains ambivalent despite the events of the night, having attended the rally to translate what was said to her parents, whom she lived with.

"They (the candidates) brought up a few things, but I will need time to digest what has been said here, as well as to listen to what the PAP candidate has to say," she said.

Related General Election articles

WP chief slams GRC system

We will take care of you: PM Lee

Rallies on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    FAIL!!! EPIC FAIL!!!!

And this PAP Michael Palmer was MP for Punggol for last 5 years.

This is really hard to believe mistake.

16K Talented Solution.

TPL: we will help install power saving light bulbs for lower income families so they can save money

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3212887

http://satayclub.net/2011/04/who-is-george-yeo-kidding/

WHO IS GEORGE YEO KIDDING?

By Cheryl Chan
    Political Correspondent

Foreign Minister George Yeo has lashed out at the Workers’ Party for acting against the spirit of democracy by fielding all its top guns in Aljunied GRC, where he is the leader of the incumbent team of PAP MPs.

In an incredible tirade, Mr Yeo said that the WP was forcing Aljunied voters to choose between their own self-interest and the opposition cause, adding that this was creating an “emotional dilemma” for his residents.

He further charged that the WP has yet to produce any plans on how it intends to improve the lives of residents in Aljunied.

“It’s an emotional dilemma for many people,” said Mr Yeo in an interview with The Straits Times. “I get many people writing on my Facebook wall who feel very uncomfortable about this.

They said, because of this, even if they vote for the WP, please do not feel that we have anything against you. I find that it’s against the spirit of democracy.”

Exactly who does Mr Yeo think he is kidding?

The ruling PAP has been acting against the spirit of democracy for decades, having gone to enormous lengths to skew the political playing field.

In fact, the odds are so unbalanced that voters have never really had a choice other than to accept the PAP as their government.

Now that the WP has taken a huge step out of its comfort zone in an attempt to offer the residents of Aljunied a real alternative choice, Mr Yeo says they are subverting the spirit of democracy.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell that this is hypocrisy of the highest order.

First of all, the GRC system in itself is against the spirit of democracy because it diminishes the voters’ right to choose their own candidates.

It has allowed weaker, unproven candidates an easy ride into Parliament on the coat-tails of seasoned political veterans, some of whom would stand next to no chance of winning an election on their own merit.

Former Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong has admitted as much, saying that if not for the GRC system, candidates might be unwilling to come forward and join the PAP, since they would not be assured of victory.

The presence of the WP "dream team", headlined by Low Thia Khiang, has clearly rattled Aljunied incumbent George Yeo

A perfect example of this just occurred a few days ago – on Nomination Day, a complete unknown was introduced as a last-minute substitute in Tanjong Pagar GRC, and became an MP just 24 hours later thanks to the PAP team winning by walkover.

Dr Chia Shi Lu is now an official representative of the residents of Tanjong Pagar, and he was ‘elected’ before even being saying a word to the media, without a single vote being cast.

Does Mr Yeo think that this is in line with the “spirit of democracy”?

Let’s not even begin to go into the incessant gerrymandering of electoral boundaries, the constant smear campaigns against opposition candidates, the use of state funds to entice voters with municipal upgrading schemes and the spate of defamation suits that have been filed against vocal opposition politicians in the past two decades – the latter being the reason why Dr Chee Soon Juan is unable to contest under the banner of his own SDP at this election.

Are any of these things consonant with Mr Yeo’s idea of the “spirit of democracy”?

If he thinks that having an opposition party fielding a strong team is undemocratic whereas the PAP’s heavy-handed and quite frankly unethical tactics are not, then Mr Yeo must truly be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Mr Yeo is simply unaccustomed to the idea that he actually stands a realistic chance of losing his seat – which is an unfamiliar prospect to just about every PAP minister, seeing as they have never really faced a real contest.

His latest ramblings are a sign that he might be losing his composure under pressure, because even he himself ought to know that no one would take his comments seriously.

The spirit of democracy is all about giving people a choice. And the WP has chosen to take a massive risk – which could yet see them completely wiped out of Parliament – just to give people that choice, something which has been denied them throughout more than 50 years of uninterrupted one-party rule.

The author holds a degree in political science from the National University of Singapore and works at a leading multinational research firm.

Uniquely Singapore:

Our beloved late President Ong Teng Cheong, who probed abt the amt of our national reserves was not given a state funeral..

late wife of MM Lee, who was not a public servant, was given a grand state funeral..

WHY WHY WHY!!!!

My prediction:
    LHL, will never retire from politics, he will be the next SM, den MM..

i dun understand why pap is so A team, so talented, paid top dollar, need a SM n MM to guide n advise them..

WHY WHY WHY!!!

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...174025954.html

SDP’s Tan Jee Say ‘surprised’ by SM Goh’s comments

Singapore Democratic Party's (SDP) Holland-Bukit Timah GRC candidate Tan Jee Say says he was "surprised" by Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's remarks that he was not capable of being a permanent secretary.

Speaking to a 7,000 strong crowd at the SDP rally on Sunday evening at Clementi, Tan responded to SM Goh's comments, revealing why he resigned from the civil service.

"I want to respond to remarks by a few ministers. In the past few days I've been the target of a lot of criticisms and I think it's only fair that I tell you what my position is."

"I am surprised that he (SM Goh) made such a remark because he had earlier said he would not comment on candidates outside Marine Parade GRC," said Tan.

Tan shared that he had wanted to resign from the civil service after his scholarship bond ended in 1984 but was asked by SM Goh, who was then Deputy Prime Minister, to be his principal private secretary.

He added that his appointment was to assist in the leadership transition from Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, who was the Prime Minister, to the second generation of leaders.

"I told him I had no intention of staying in the civil service; he said he needed me for only 3 to 5 years, after which I could leave the civil service if I still wanted to do so."

"At the end of five years, I again expressed my desire to leave the service. He replied that since this was the second time I told him I wanted to leave, he would not hold me back but would give me his blessings to leave the civil service," said the 57-year-old investment adviser.

His comments came after SM Goh spoke at a People's Action Party rally for Marine Parade GRC on Saturday evening on why Tan left the civil service.

The Senior Minister added that although Tan was "hardworking", he did not think that he "could make it" as a permanent secretary. As a result, Tan resigned from the public service and entered the private sector to advance his career.

Tan expressed his disappointment that after five years of serving SM Goh, he did not expect him to make such remarks, adding that it was not "his mission in life to be a permanent secretary".

"I have given five of my best years in my career life to Mr Goh. He asked me to be his PPS, I did not ask for the job. I do not expect such comments from him after five years of loyal service.

"It was not my mission in life to be a permanent secretary. I want to be a more complete person with life experiences in both the public and private sectors."

Tan and his fellow SDP teammates were speaking to a strong crowd of an estimated 6000 people. (Yahoo! photo/ Aeron …

Tan also responded to MM Lee's comments on his proposal to transform the economy, where he suggested that Singapore should divert from the manufacturing sector and progress towards the services sector.

Said MM Lee on Sunday, "He has no qualifications to say that and he is wrong. If you don't have manufacturing, you're going to have trouble with jobs."

In his response, Tan said he was qualified to propose alternative economic proposals, highlighting his educational background and policy-making experiences in the administrative service as supporting testimonials.

"I am surprised; I studied economics at Oxford University and for six years, I worked in the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) where I headed economic and manpower planning.

"So I have knowledge of both economic theory and development economics. In addition, my proposals have been endorsed by Lord Butler who served three British Prime Ministers."

Lord Robin Butler was a Cabinet Secretary to three British Prime Ministers - Margaret Thatcher, John Major and Tony Blair.

On MM Lee's statements that the manufacturing sector is "more steady" than the services sector, Tan argued that an economic study has proven otherwise.

He was referring to a study by three economists from MTI which was published in the Economic Survey of Singapore in 2009, titled "Is Smoother Always Better?

Understanding Singapore's Volatility Growth-Relationship".

Tan explained that the study — conducted over a 30-year period from 1978 to 2008 — concluded that the services sector as a whole has a relatively low volatility. And that a large part of the increased in volatility in Singapore has stemmed from the manufacturing sector.

"It is these conclusions and the experiences of other countries that led me to propose that Singapore be developed as an integrated services hub for the region."

At the rally on Sunday evening, a total of 10 SDP candidates delivered their speeches, focusing on the rising costs of living where they spoke out against the lack of government assistance to help Singaporeans cope with the issue..

wow.. tan jee seng is good n all i hear from the two top men were he was not qualified for this n not good for that..

jee seng replied with solid backings..

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    wow.. tan jee seng is good n all i hear from the two top men were he was not qualified for this n not good for that..

jee seng replied with solid backings..

This is why Singaporeans need to rely on Internet rather than on ST and CNA for this election.

A leopard never changes its spots.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/...ture%e2%80%99/

GE 2011: My vote and my ‘child’s future’

As a mother-to-be and eligible voter, I am, for the first time, considering a) who to cast my vote for, and b) ‘my child’s future’.

This is the PAP’s ongoing mantra – vote for us, think of your children’s future and your grandchildren’s future, not to mention your assets and property values and job opportunities.

Well, I have been thinking hard about my child’s future, and the sort of Singapore I would like him to experience and fully participate in as he grows up.

I have also been thinking about the norms that he will be exposed to, that will have the ability to shape his formation as a young adult. I have also been considering what sort of lessons our current socio-political landscape will be teaching him (and it discomforts me greatly).

I would like my son – yes, it’s a boy, says the doctor – to respect leaders for their integrity, dedication to service and commitment to justice that is not bereft of compassion.

I would like him to be steered by courageous leadership, one that does not succumb to easy appeals to greed and fear in order to secure votes, but inspires him to rise above self-centredness to support decisions that may, potentially, cause him some temporary discomfort, but may ultimately result in a more humane alternative to the current ‘catch up or die’ development model.

I would very much like my child to be able to speak his mind respectfully yet fearlessly if he disagrees with the status quo, without having to hover in the background to remind him: ‘Be careful, son!’ (And then give a long and somber lecture about the existence of the Internal Security Act and how it has been abused in the past to silence and intimidate persons who disagreed and tried to challenge the system.)

I want him to grow up learning that loyalty should be earned, not bought. That if he was ever to become a politician, or even a team leader in his school or manager of a company, that his key strategy should not be to induce obedience through a coercive combination of threats and bribes.

If my son wins – a competition, a promotion, an election – I would like to be proud of how he won it through a ‘clean fight’. That he won the respect of others who have selected him because of his capabilities, his potential, his sincere desire to serve others.

I would like my son to appreciate humility and its power to move others. Genuine humility, that comes from admitting to human frailties and mistakes and taking responsibility for them. Humility that is demonstrated by listening with sincerity to others with differing – even opposing – views, without being dismissive, patronizing or bullying them into silence.

I would like my child to grow up in a country where the ‘good life’ is not merely characterized by GDP growth, but by the measure in which fellow citizens protect and care for each other, particularly the most vulnerable amongst us.

I look forward to him being part of a country where he could, without being a Presidents Scholar, or even a degree holder, be recognized and valued for whatever skills and talents he possesses.

I want him to work in a country where he could excel in a trade if he so chooses – e.g. carpentry, bricklaying, horticulture – and be paid a decent, living wage for an honest day’s work, a wage where he could afford to get married, buy a comfortable (not necessarily luxurious) home and raise a family.

I want my child to be convinced that in this society, there is no shame or crime in being different, that it is important to think critically, imaginatively, and boldly – that the road to success is not through memorizing model answers or mindlessly filling in the blanks with droll answers provided by judicious instructors.

I hope that he can flourish within an education system that genuinely fosters creativity, spontaneity and sparks of harmless mischief, and doesn’t kill enthusiasm for subjects/curricula not perceived as ‘profitable’ – e.g. philosophy and literature, as opposed to engineering or accounting.

I want my child to grow up with a healthier understanding and experience of democracy than I have. I want him to experience a Singapore where it is not accepted as ‘normal’ for Members of Parliament to hold on to their positions for years – even decades – without having ever been voted in; where ‘live’ debates between politicians of different parties over pertinent policy issues are a regular feature; where civil liberties such as freedom of assembly and expression and the right to information are not treated as ‘luxuries’ but recognized as the fundamental rights of mature citizens.

I want him to be able to experience the dynamism of an egalitarian society at its best – one where persons fight fearlessly to protect the principles of truth and justice, yet never forget the beauty of mercy and gentleness.

But most of all, I do not want my child, when he is 21 and no longer a child, but an adult about to vote himself, to ask me, perhaps with some measure of disappointment, maybe resentment, or possibly despair: ‘Mom, why didn’t any of you do anything?’

I am 38 years old this year, and I can finally vote.

And because I’m thinking of my child’s future, I know exactly what I want to say come 7 May 2011 at my local polling station.

————–

Picture from Hands On Communication.

AThey act with no accountability, it time they learnt abt "with greater power came greater responsibility", and of course, accountability.
    Our late president ong teng chong is a responsible man.
    Never ever understand why he didn't get a state funeral.
    Juz becos he ask the wrong question?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...pphu-container

WP’s Pritam: We’re not interested in killing any tigers

The estimated 10,000 strong crowd cheering for WP (Yahoo!/Christine Choo)

Workers' Party (WP) Aljunied GRC 'A team' member Pritam Singh says the party is not looking to kill any tigers during this election.

In his rally speech at Yishun stadium on Sunday evening, Pritam responded to Foreign Minister George Yeo's wife, Jennifer, who said that who dares to kill her tiger would have to deal with her.

He also hit back at Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's comments, that the quality of the government will go down if Mr Yeo were to lose the election. Said Pritam, "It is as if George Yeo, like all the tigers around the world, is being treated as an endangered species."

Drawing applause and cheer from the estimated 10,000-strong crowd, he said that while Mr Yeo is a good man, he is in the wrong party, and strongly recommended that he stands for this year's presidential elections.

WP's Pritam Singh wants to champion minority education issues. (Yahoo!/Christine …

The post-graduate law student also suggested that if Mr Yeo does find himself out of a job, he could become a Non-Elected Member of Parliament (NCMP) as the best performing losing candidate in the elections.

Meanwhile, WP chairman Sylvia Lim highlighted that the possibility of losing five talents in a GRC is a problem that the ruling party had created itself.

In her rally speech, she questioned the PAP for changing the rules and the formation of the GRCs.

"By having GRCs and making them so big, the PAP has raised the stakes and we opposition must contest with these stakes. If the system only has single seats this problem wouldn't exist."

Turning her attention to Labour Day, she also spoke on how the minimum sum for the Central Provident Fund (CPF) has been increasing over the past years.

"In two years' time, the sum would reach almost S$150,000, and as a result, many Singaporeans who cannot meet this required sum are only allowed a withdrawal of S$5,000."

She added that the People's Action Party (PAP) constantly change the rules and has delayed the draw-down age for savings from 62 to 65.

Lim told the crowd that the government forgets that it is their money, and there needs to be a reminder to the PAP to respect their right to their hard-earned money.

The WP proposed that the draw-down age be 60 and that Singaporeans facing financial difficulties should be allowed to tap into their CPF savings under strict guidelines, she said.

As unlike the PAP, who "treat Singaporeans like kids", she said, "The WP recognises that the money belongs to the people."

With Polling Day approaching, all eyes are continuing to be on the WP team contesting the Aljunied hotspot. They consists of former Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang, former NCMP Sylvia Lim, the party's "star catch" Chen Show Mao as well as family counsellor Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap and post-graduate law student Pritam Singh.

They will be up against the incumbent PAP team fronted by Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua, Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed, Madam Cynthia Phua and new face Ong Ye Kung, an assistant secretary-general of NTUC .

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...203056509.html

‘Ordinary S’poreans are second choice to PAP’s Alvin Yeo’

NSP's Tony Tan delivers his fiery speech. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

National Solidarity Party's (NSP) Tony Tan has slammed People's Action Party (PAP) Alvin Yeo for thinking of himself, and not Singaporeans.

Speaking at the NSP rally on Sunday evening at the Jurong West Stadium, he referred to a Parliament session on 25 May 2009, when Yeo called for a tax cut for the top income bracket while Singapore was still in the midst of a recession.

Tan also responded to accusations made by Yeo, that Choa Chu Kang GRC was only their "second choice" after pulling out of Moulmein-Kallang GRC to avoid a three-cornered fight.

"This is outdated politicking. The election should be a contest of ideas on policies, not about outdated politicking," before adding that "ordinary Singaporeans are Alvin Yeo's second choice."

Tan shared his belief that votes for a candidate should be based on the policies he supports, and voters should make sure the MP's policy ideas are similar to theirs.

"What are your MP's policy positions? Is it for your interests or their own?" said the CEO of a private school, adding that the NSP is inviting the PAP to their rally on 3 May to debate policy ideas.

Jeisilan Sivalingam, Tan's teammate in Choa Chu Kang, also dismissed Yeo's criticism of NSP, saying that the party's policy is very clear: "Singaporeans are number one, not foreigners."

He told the estimated 8,000-strong crowd that Singaporeans do not have a better life despite a 14 per cent pay increment, as this was over a period of 10 years, as compared to the PAP Ministers' increment of 30 per cent over a year.

The crowd at NSP's rally in the Jurong West Stadium. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

The turnout at the rally attracted residents from the NSP-contested constituencies of Pioneer SMC, Choa Chu Kang GRC and Jurong GRC.

This was a sharp contrast to the number of people present at the same location for the PAP rally last Friday, which stood at no more than 1,000.

Notably, party chief Goh Meng Seng and crowd favourite Nicole Seah were absent from the proceedings on Sunday.

A couple Yahoo! Singapore spoke to, Mr and Mrs Wong, said that they came all the way from the Marine Parade GRC, hoping to catch Seah's speech, but were disappointed when she was absent from the rally.

"We missed the rally in the east the last time, so we wanted to come over to hear what the GE's youngest candidate had to say," said Mrs Wong.

Crowd cheering at the NSP rally. (Yahoo! photo/ Ewen Boey)

Mohammad Ridzuan, 31, a technical officer and resident of Pioneer SMC said, "I came for the PAP rally on Friday, and now I'm here to see what the NSP can offer me and my family. Based on what both sides have presented, I think I have a tough time deciding."

Candidates from NSP's west and north-west wards -- namely Steve Chia from Pioneer SMC, Christopher Neo and Noraini Yunus from Jurong GRC, and Jeisilan Sivalingam from Choa Chu Kang GRC -- also spoke on national issues such as wage policy, foreign workers and Ministers' pay.

Haven't heard any rally that does not put down the opponents. PAP say opp will destroy the govt and opp say PAP incapable. Won't the end result most likely be a mix of PAP and some opp in parliament? Then does that mean our future parliament consist of craps? I noticed that campaigns always slams the opponents and most are for personal reasons, not interest of the nation.... But aren't they all trying to fight to serve the people?
    So far only heard 2 worthy statements. Someone said even if he's not elected, he'll ensure his SMC gets the much needed lift upgrading. Also, someone said if she's no good, then the people should vote her out. Very honest statements but they are few and far between...

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...155825423.html

Aljunied has five years to 'repent' if it chooses WP: MM

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew has warned Aljunied voters they will have to live and "repent" for the next five years if they vote in the Workers' Party (WP) team at Aljunied GRC.

Speaking at PAP's Radin Mas branch on Saturday, Singapore's founding father said the PAP will not lose in this election, as the only hot-seat is Aljunied.

But he said, "If Aljunied decides to go that way, well Aljunied has five years to live and repent."

MM Lee added that he does not consider it a major setback if the People's Action Party (PAP) loses the the contest, that it would not be "the end of the world" as the PAP would fight to get the GRC back.

"We accept the verdict of the people, but they must also accept the consequences of their actions. You must expect the PAP to look after PAP constituencies first."

His latest comments come hot on the heels of another stern warning to voters on Friday, when he said Aljunied voters will "pay a price, the hard way" if they voted for the Opposition. His remarks then sparked a huge backlash online, with close to 3,000 comments on Yahoo! alone questioning MM Lee's motives.

Netizens have also not taken too kindly to the 87-year-old's latest warnings, calling them a thinly veiled threat to voters.

Yahoo! News reader Secret wrote, "Dear MM Lee, I am a resident of Aljunied... I do not need you to either lecture or intimidate me.

You and your ilk may be the "CEO" of Singapore Inc now, but even the CEO has to answer to the stakeholders -- and we citizens are the stakeholders who have the right to either keep you employed or fire you."

Another reader Jubilant said, "Voters of Aljunied GRC will be intimidated by your threats. Instead you should be the one to repent for insulting the intelligence of Aljunied voters."

Users of micro-blogging service Twitter were also quick to criticise MM Lee.
    @SamanthaDelina said, "Quite disgusted by MM Lee's comments on WP. No matter how great PAP is, I don't see a need for them to put others down."
    Another user @duncanchew was also appalled and wondered, "How can those words come out from MM Lee's mouth?"

On Saturday, MM Lee also questioned WP's real intentions.

"It's not just to win one GRC. Let's have no hypocrisy about this, every political party sets out to win and win a majority and they are setting out from a single constituency to a GRC and then expand to more GRCs and then take over. It's up to you to decide whether they are capable of running Singapore," he said.

The high-powered 'A' team from the Workers's Party contesting the Aljunied hotspot consists of former Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang, former NCMP Sylvia Lim, the party's "star catch" Chen Show Mao as well as family counsellor Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap and post-graduate law student Pritam Singh.

They will be up against the incumbent PAP team fronted by Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua, Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed, Madam Cynthia Phua and new face Ong Ye Kung, an assistant secretary-general of NTUC .

Separately on Saturday, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong also commented on the impact should Mr Yeo and his Aljunied GRC team be voted out of Parliament.

Speaking at a rally in Marine Parade GRC, SM Goh said Mr Yeo has been handling delicate negotiations with Malaysia and Indonesia on border issues.
    Describing that Singapore has a "beautiful arrangement" -- with an Indian as President, a Chinese as Prime Minister and a Malay, Zainul Abidin Rasheed, as potential Speaker of Parliament -- SM Goh said that "on the basis of merit we ended up with this, a politically balanced, beautiful picture'.

"You knock out George Yeo and Zainul Abidin. Well, you'll have to look for another Speaker on the basis of merit. Well, that person may not be Zainul Abidin once he's out, or another Malay MP.

"These are the fine points of politics which we in PAP understand, which we try to manage quietly. But the opposition says never mind, George Yeo can be a diplomat. Come off it, that's not the way you build up a first-rate government."

Related news

Aljunied voters will regret choosing WP: MM Lee

Very strong choice of words. Have only heard of repent from religious leaders...echoing divine warning. But with MM, I suppose he consider himself GOD like status in Singapore. I do think his remarks may pissed younger Singapore voters off and push them to vote WP for Aljunied.....sometimes silence is golden.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Very strong choice of words. Have only heard of repent from religious leaders...echoing divine warning. But with MM, I suppose he consider himself GOD like status in Singapore. I do think his remarks may pissed younger Singapore voters off and push them to vote WP for Aljunied.....sometimes silence is golden.
    Please repent before it is too late. Visit my chicken farms before you regret!

Someone commented in Yahoo , MM Lee no longer talks like an elected leader but rather talk and have the tone and mannerisms of an Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Haven't heard any rally that does not put down the opponents. PAP say opp will destroy the govt and opp say PAP incapable. Won't the end result most likely be a mix of PAP and some opp in parliament? Then does that mean our future parliament consist of craps? I noticed that campaigns always slams the opponents and most are for personal reasons, not interest of the nation.... But aren't they all trying to fight to serve the people?
    So far only heard 2 worthy statements. Someone said even if he's not elected, he'll ensure his SMC gets the much needed lift upgrading. Also, someone said if she's no good, then the people should vote her out. Very honest statements but they are few and far between...
    PAP incapable is got track record.

These last 5 years have alot of unprecedented screw ups.

Opposition destroy government has no evidence so it is just fearmongering.

When PAP was Opposition, it destroyed the government ?

Someone commented in Yahoo , MM Lee no longer talks like an elected leader but rather talk and have the tone and mannerisms of an Emperor.
    Are you the eunuch?

PAP incapable is got track record.

These last 5 years have alot of unprecedented screw ups.

Opposition destroy government has no evidence so it is just fearmongering.

When PAP was Opposition, it destroyed the government ?
    tell me more

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Are you the eunuch?
    unfavoured eunuch turn rebellion

I am happy. Opposition will push property prices lower