Thread: More shopping for shophouses

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default More shopping for shophouses

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_652614.html

Apr 4, 2011

More shopping for shophouses

Demand rises in the wake of govt measures for residential sector

By Cheryl Lim

IT WAS the Asian financial crisis in 1997 that got investor Anil Thadani interested in the seemingly unglamorous idea of putting money into shophouses.

Property prices then were at an all-time low and Mr Thadani, 46, used his savings to snap up three adjoining units in Dunlop Street.

'Back then we paid $1.65 million for those units,' he said. 'Now, the value is almost three times what it was.'

Mr Thadani has since bought more than 10 shophouses and is part of a small but growing number of investors ploughing cash into the sector.

Shophouses have become an increasingly attractive option for seasoned property investors, especially in the wake of government measures to cool the housing market, said Mr Ong Kah Seng, property consultancy Cushman and Wakefield's senior manager for Asia-Pacific research.

He said there is less risk of government intervention in commercial properties such as shophouses, unlike for residential properties, where affordability remains a key concern.

Rising office rents have also prompted small businesses to look for cheaper space, creating greater demand for alternative properties including shophouses.

'Two years ago, there were fewer buyers (of shophouses). But since the improvement in office rents last year, more investors have come forward eager to buy such properties,' said Ms Grace Ng, managing director of real estate firm Colliers International.

Ms Ng believes shophouse demand will improve further this year, in line with Singapore's economic growth.

Cushman and Wakefield's analysis of Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) data shows that there were 380 shophouse transactions last year, up 44 per cent on the 263 sales in 2009.

There were 53 shophouse deals in the first quarter of this year, compared with 78 in the same period last year, according to URA data. But analysts say this year's figure is likely to rise as not all the transactions have been captured yet.

Prices are rising in line with demand. Mr Ong said prices of shophouses went up 10 per cent last year, with rental yields at about 4 per cent.

Median rents of centrally located shophouses grew to $4.07 per sq ft (psf) per month in February, 4 per cent more than that for the same month last year, according to URA data.

'Rents of shophouses have held steadier in comparison to strata shops in malls, as shophouses are generally unique and the supply is limited,' Mr Ong said.

Mr J. Chen, an investor in his 40s, said his shophouses are better investments than homes in the same area. He owns a portfolio of conservation shophouses, many in Tanjong Pagar.

Newly launched homes in Tanjong Pagar are selling at above $2,000 per sq ft (psf) with a rental yield of up to 3 per cent, he said.

In contrast, a 99-year leasehold conservation shophouse in the same area would go for about $1,200 psf and have a rental yield of up to 4.5 per cent.

But conservation shophouses in the central district, which includes Chinatown and Tanjong Pager, do not come cheap. CBRE Research figures show that a 2,971 sq ft shophouse in Tanjong Pagar Road sold for $9.38 million in December.

In city fringe areas like Serangoon, Kallang and Geylang, however, smaller shophouses can be bought for under $2 million, said Mr Ong.

HDB shophouses also tend to be more affordable, added Colliers' Ms Ng. Single-storey properties are typically priced below $1 million, while two-storey units with residential quarters upstairs go for around $1.2 million to $1.5 million.

Ms Ng said suburban shophouses can have rental yields of 5 per cent to 6 per cent, and may offer good value to investors as they come with existing tenants.

Investors The Straits Times spoke to say first-floor tenants of shophouses are almost always retail businesses. The upper floors are typically taken up by offices, but can be leased out to residential tenants if the shophouse is not zoned for commercial use.

But potential shophouse investors should take note that these properties come with their own set of risks and considerations. Central Provident Fund savings, for instance, cannot be used to buy non-residential properties.

Ms Ng also said investments in commercial property are not as straightforward as those in homes.

To gauge whether a shophouse is investment-worthy, buyers need to take into account the property's location, age, maintenance costs and even the attractiveness of the shop frontage.

[email protected]

I have also been eyeing some shophouses. But I am afraid that i might have problems retrofitting the property and getting URA approval to convert use of property.

Any gurus out there who have invested in shophouses before?

Investing in shophouses require a lot of due diligence and you need to assemble the right qualified team before embarking on such projects.

Different areas are governed by varying regulations which in turn limits what you can do with the shophouse.

In terms of return, you can achieve 5 to 8% yield depending on how you configure the unit. In terms of capital appreciation, you can probably make 10 to 15% if you were to rebuild and sell it.

In summary, shophouse investing is limited to a small group of regulars who have in depth knowledge in rebuilding to regulations and right connections to land the good deals. You can get severely burnt if you don't know what you are doing. I am vested in one unit at Joo Chiat and the rental returns are pretty decent at 7.5% gross. I engaged the help of a regular to advise me but given the amount of trouble and effort that I have put in, the returns are fair value only.

Thanks for the reply!

I am also looking at a unit at Joo Chiat for about 1000psf on built up area.

I am intending to convert the use of first floor to F&B. I wonder if the URA approval is easy to obtain.?

Quote Originally Posted by John TanKH
    Thanks for the reply!

I am intending to convert the use of first floor to F&B. I wonder if the URA approval is easy to obtain.?
    Do you mean that you are looking for a shophouse with a land size of 1000 sqft instead of built in? There is a difference.

Even at 1000 sqft, it's too small to be used as a F&B outlet. Typical land size over there ranges from 1500 sqft up. You might want to get a corner unit as they fetch a premium in rental due to a bigger frontage.

Lastly, getting approval from URA depends on many factors such as unit configuration etc. You might want to study the URA guidelines more in detail. Talking to experienced builders and architects also help.

I have also been eyeing some shophouses. But I am afraid that i might have problems retrofitting the property and getting URA approval to convert use of property.

Any gurus out there who have invested in shophouses before?
    If your usage is for shop use and your tenant is in the retail business than you do not need to apply for change of use approval from URA

Thanks for the reply!

check out the land use zoned for commercial, commercial and residential, and commercial at 1st storey. ignore all the beiged coloured ones