Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Housing Sector in Singapore Only Getting Hotter

Default Housing Sector in Singapore Only Getting Hotter

Housing Sector in Singapore Only Getting Hotter
    Kevin Lim | March 27, 2011
    The display room of a high-end waterfront development in Singapore. Many residents say they are being priced out of the property market. (AFP Photo)

Related articles
    Race is On for S'pore Property Roll-Outs 1:29pm Mar 19, 2011
    Singapore Land Auction Confirms Still-Sizzling Property Market 10:19am Feb 25, 2011
    Hong Kong Selling Bonds, Releasing Land to Ease Price of Living 9:05pm Feb 23, 2011
    CapitaLand Shares Fall Despite Quarterly Profit 9:28pm Feb 22, 2011

Share This Page
    2Share

Post a comment
    Please login to post comment

Comments
    Be the first to write your opinion!

Singapore. Wendy Cheng, 32, has been trying to buy a home for more than two years without success.

Cheng and her American teacher husband cannot afford property on the open market where a government-built apartment can fetch as much as $700,000 Singapore dollars ($553,000), and they have been unsuccessful in balloting for apartments available from the state at a cheaper price.

At her last attempt to buy an apartment directly from Singapore’s Housing Development Board, she was given a waiting-list number of 1,983 for the 200 units offered, which meant she could get a unit only if 1,783 of the people in front of her dropped out.

“It’s like trying to win the lottery,” she said of her efforts to buy her own place, a predicament shared by an increasing number of young Singaporeans who feel they can no longer afford homes, unlike their parents’ generation.

Private home prices in Singapore rose 17.6 percent last year despite government attempts to cool the market in February and August. Resale prices of HDB apartments that house more than 80 percent of the population gained 14 percent.

The city-state’s median household income rose a much smaller 3.1 percent, or 0.3 percent after adjusting for inflation, to S$5,000 a month last year.

Singapore, Asia’s second-largest financial center after Hong Kong, has one of the world’s highest rates of home ownership at 87 percent, thanks to a home-building program to provide cheap housing for its citizens that began in the late 1960s.

But the HDB is building fewer apartments and charging more for them. Prices of both resale HDB apartments and private property have also soared due to an influx of foreigners in recent years.

“The high property prices, especially for private homes, is a festering source of disappointment, unhappiness and perhaps anger among voters,” said Eugene Tan, a law lecturer at Singapore Management University. “Parents are also concerned with how their children are going to afford comparable homes in the future. The angst and anxieties are made worse by the view that foreigners are pushing up property prices.”

Foreigners now make up 36 percent of Singapore’s population of 5.1 million, up from around 20 percent of four million people a decade earlier, after the government made it easier for foreigners to work in the city-state.

Many Singaporeans also blame higher property prices on the sharp drop in HDB construction after the government agency moved to a build-to-order policy several years ago. According to HDB data, the government agency completed an average of 3,600 units a year in 2006-08 compared with more than 11,000 units per annum in 2001-05.

Singapore, like Hong Kong and China, has found it difficult to keep a lid on property prices due to the surge in global liquidity that has pushed mortgage rates to near record lows and an influx of foreign money.

Kelvin Tay, chief investment strategist for Singapore at UBS’s private bank, said property prices were supported by low interest rates and the market could correct sharply if borrowing costs rose to more normal levels of around 3.5 percent.

The city-state’s banks currently pay less than 0.2 percent annual interest on deposits, while home buyers can get housing loans for as little as 0.8 percent per annum for the first year and about 1.5 percent thereafter. Inflation, meanwhile, is running at 5 percent.

The low mortgage rates have made prices affordable. For example, after paying a minimum down payment of 20 percent for a S$1 million apartment in the suburbs, the going price for many newly launched units, a person can borrow S$800,000 over 30 years and pay around S$2,500 a month assuming a housing loan rate of 1 percent per annum. The monthly payments soars to around S$3,600 a month if the rate rises to 3.5 percent per annum.

The government is aware that Singaporeans are concerned about high home prices, and has stepped up construction of HDB apartments and increased subsidies for first-time home buyers in the lower-income groups.

It also introduced tough new measures on Jan. 13 that included tougher borrowing limits and a hefty stamp duty of 16 percent of the selling price for those who buy and sell within 12 months, aiming to clamp down on speculators.

Despite that, new private homes sales remained high at 1,101 units in February compared with 1,209 in January.

Developers such as CapitaLand, 40-percent owned by the government’s Temasek Holdings, have also bid aggressively at land sales, buying sites at prices that require a further increase in home prices for them to break even.

Prices of HDB resale apartments and low-end condominiums have stabilized since the government’s January measures but luxury homes continue to be in demand. Analysts said there was spillover demand from cash-rich mainland Chinese investors who last year overtook Indonesians to become the largest group of foreign buyers of residential property in Singapore.

Reuters

i tink i read smwhr tat if the first timers did not go for the selection twice....subsequently, they will be placed after those who apply for the 1st or 2nd time.....

how true isit ar?

i got a fren din go for selection twice previously ....den their latest one which is their 3rd time applying, they got 1000+ queue number whereas another fren who applied the same project got 200+ queue number(1st time apply)

my advice is: whether its true or not true....pls dun apply for fun....take it seriously even for the 1st try

At her last attempt to buy an apartment directly from Singapore’s Housing Development Board, she was given a waiting-list number of 1,983 for the 200 units offered, which meant she could get a unit only if 1,783 of the people in front of her dropped out.

should be not the first time...the statement said her last attempt(my view is not the first attempt)...

Actually a lot of these first-timers who wrote in to complain onl give half-truths. I remember there was this guy who complain he couldn't get a flat. Ended up the real story is he rejected the flats like 7-8 times because low floor lah etc etc. Then another guy few weeks ago also wrote in to complain. Then the real story was he only wanted Pinnacles at Duxton or the Queenstown one and insisted HDB gave him a direct allocation which is not fair to everyone else. So this one must be lying again.

It is all about their lifestyle, how can two working professionals not afford an HDB flat? I heard of some couples earning decently but they lead lavish lifestyles and drive expensive cars, leaving little in the bank and even chalking up a few tens of thousands of credit card debt. Nobody says they have to buy $700k hdb flats in the open market, they can always go for 4 room flats in less expensive areas.

As usual, there are alot of flats around...just that people all want high floor unblocked good facing, near shopping mall, next to MRT and yet dun want to pay the premium for them.

A lot of singaporeans still look at buying HDB like winning lottery, never get the good units don't want to buy. At the ned of day complaint non stop.

But HDB also miscalculated the demand. Just hope they don't inject too much supply now and flood the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Kaiser
    A lot of singaporeans still look at buying HDB like winning lottery, never get the good units don't want to buy. At the ned of day complaint non stop.

But HDB also miscalculated the demand. Just hope they don't inject too much supply now and flood the market.
    Actually injecting too much supply is not all that bad... These units will be there to ensure that sellers don't command the market so aggressively. In fact, HDB will not loose out coz these units will eventually be sold therefore HDB will not lose revenue, just delay in receiving them. They are also assuring singapreans that there is ample supply. Win Win situation....

Many Singaporeans also blame higher property prices on the sharp drop in HDB construction after the government agency moved to a build-to-order policy several years ago. According to HDB data, the government agency completed an average of 3,600 units a year in 2006-08 compared with more than 11,000 units per annum in 2001-05.

not good

n i hope they reverse the bto policy..

Quote Originally Posted by romeo

not good

n i hope they reverse the bto policy..
    BTO is good. Order liao then build. Problem is never take order or take order long long time then another one.

should do something online ma. pple login register, once enough min orders put in, straight trigger developer start work.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    BTO is good. Order liao then build. Problem is never take order or take order long long time then another one.

should do something online ma. pple login register, once enough min orders put in, straight trigger developer start work.
    Good for KS couples, those who can afford to wait, those who need to wait coz need to save $$ and also good for govt...

I think both last time and now not good.

The best way is to have a ready inventory of flats to be sold.

I mean all business must keep inventory right? Does not mean if you cannot 100% forecast demand, you keep 0 inventory and ask you customer to wait.

Last time, HDB seriously screwed up and have way too much inventory. So what did our million dollar minister come up with? 0 inventory. no work for them to do, Just ask everyone to wait AND subject the market to more volatility. With zero inventory, there is little they can do to cool a red hot market. Release land also must wait 3-4 years before anything comes out.

This is something I totally disagree with. I mean IF in a REAL COMPANY that guy who forecast the demand totally screwed up and come up with a brilliant suggestion, "hey lets not keep any inventory, that will solve our problem..."

Quote Originally Posted by wind30

I mean all business must keep inventory right? Does not mean if you cannot 100% forecast demand, you keep 0 inventory and ask you customer to wait.

Last time, HDB seriously screwed up and have way too much inventory. So what did our million dollar minister come up with? 0 inventory. no work for them to do, Just ask everyone to wait AND subject the market to more volatility. With zero inventory, there is little they can do to cool a red hot market. Release land also must wait 3-4 years before anything comes out.

This is something I totally disagree with. I mean IF in a REAL COMPANY that guy who forecast the demand totally screwed up and come up with a brilliant suggestion, "hey lets not keep any inventory, that will solve our problem..."
    so wat kind of system u suggest? ready inventory? sounds like the system prior to bto....how to determine how much inventory to hold?

Maybe a tiered system would work.

Wait 2-3yrs for BTO - priced at 20% of resale
    No wait required get from inventory - no 20% off resale, as need to compensate HDB for holding and financing cost. But buyer get brand new flat and no need to pay agent com.

Just a suggestion, any comments?

But still think BTO is better as it protects the 80% home owners..... and does not disadvantage new applicants as long as they can do some forward planning....

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    so wat kind of system u suggest? ready inventory? sounds like the system prior to bto....how to determine how much inventory to hold?

Depends on industry , this product 1 unit is few hundred thousand leh. It's not just abt instant meeting your housing need. Politically it may screw themselves up if it causes 85% of pple to be in negative equity.

I m in for BTO. Can't wait then got to pay premium lor. Want cheap n fast n good? Do plan early lor

Surely there can be a way to closely monitor the market and tailor supply to demand. There will be some times where there is some excess inventory but they can then scale down supply when such situation occurs. There are presumably a lot of number crunchers working for gah-men that can help with this. They can set a target eg inventory must not exceed XXX number of flats and have this as their performance indicator.

Hmmm.... I wonder if there will be massive oversupply of property in Singapore in the coming years? The developers are launching like there's no tomorrow at prices that aspire to reach new heights. How long can "ordinary" working Singaporeans continue to fork out money for these increasingly expensive units? At this rate we will have to extend our retirement ages to 70 haiz.

Regarding negative equity, I believe gah-men is seriously worried that Singaporeans might dip into negative equity esp those who hold multiple properties that they are not living in. That is why they reduce the quantum that banks can lend down to 60%. Helps to protect the banks and the investor from falling prices and makes the investor think twice (or more) before launching into an investment that typically these days is likely to cost more than 1 mill per unit for a decent size (even in ulu locations).

Signs are that the ruling party is somewhat worried that the property issue can affect their results at the next GE. My HDB block in Bishan is suddenly polling for lift upgrading (after waiting long time since it was announced) and the officials are pushing hard to get it through (can see how hard they are working for it). ? another "sweetener" for the GE? Bishan is also announcing its 5 year masterplan next week. I thought it was "safe" GRC for the party but...maybe not as "safe" as before. Didn't remember such hectic activity in previous elections.
    Last edited by chiaberry; 30-03-11 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Surely there can be a way to closely monitor the market and tailor supply to demand. There will be some times where there is some excess inventory but they can then scale down supply when such situation occurs. There are presumably a lot of number crunchers working for gah-men that can help with this. They can set a target eg inventory must not exceed XXX number of flats and have this as their performance indicator.

Hmmm.... I wonder if there will be massive oversupply of property in Singapore in the coming years? The developers are launching like there's no tomorrow at prices that aspire to reach new heights. How long can "ordinary" working Singaporeans continue to fork out money for these increasingly expensive units? At this rate we will have to extend our retirement ages to 70 haiz.
    i tink oversupply is getting there....as we can see, new launches did not get sold out anymore including MM projects

Those companies that bid high prices for GL recently (eg Capitaland) sure have DEEP DEEP pockets to protect the prices of their existing inventory. How long can they continue to do so?

For those who bought in recent launches for investment...I wonder where are the tenants going to come from who can afford to pay enough $$$ to help them with their housing loan installments. I can't figure that the cash flow for servicing the loans can be that good. And if there are no tenants....that's when the crunch will come. A lot of units will TOP around the same time in the next few years. Expatriates these days are often on local terms and they have to pay rent out of their own pockets.

fyi I saw ang-moh kids wearing uniform of one of the international schools walking in the void deck of my HDB block yesterday with their maid. Which shows that expatriates are now renting HDB apartments. Which shows their ability to afford private condos should be dropping even as we speak.

For those who bought in recent launches for investment...I wonder where are the tenants going to come from who can afford to pay enough $$$ to help them with their housing loan installments. I can't figure that the cash flow for servicing the loans can be that good. And if there are no tenants....that's when the crunch will come. A lot of units will TOP around the same time in the next few years. Expatriates these days are often on local terms and they have to pay rent out of their own pockets.
    i shall use Mi Casa as an example...

currently, 12xxsqft, 3+study/4bedder can get about 960k-1mil...

let say u buy at 1mil and take up max 60% loanwith 25yrs tenor

600k loan @3% int rate: mthly installment =$2844

if u take up maybank 5yr fixed rate now at average 2% pa, mthly about $2544

i believe current market rental can fetch 3-3.5k....and if during downturn, probably 2-2.5k

so, 5yrs fixed rate during downturn shd be safe enuff?(top up about 500-1k a mth)
    Last edited by devilplate; 30-03-11 at 10:22.

Those companies that bid high prices for GL recently (eg Capitaland) sure have DEEP DEEP pockets to protect the prices of their existing inventory. How long can they continue to do so?

fyi I saw ang-moh kids wearing uniform of one of the international schools walking in the void deck of my HDB block yesterday with their maid. Which shows that expatriates are now renting HDB apartments. Which shows their ability to afford private condos should be dropping even as we speak.
    haha, that is true.

Many years ago, good condos feature lots of ang-mohs but now bad condos in ulu locations feature lots of ang mohs. my condo in west coast is chuck full of ang mohs.

Many years ago, good condos features few PRC chinese. Now most CCR condos in D10 and D9 are owned by PRc chinese. They think my condo in west coast is not good enough for them. what a turn of fortune. Hope teddy doesn't mind more people peeing into the swimming pool and drains and air dry their laundry on the balcony in CCR properties.

i believe current market rental can fetch 3-3.5k....and if during downturn, probably 2-2.5k

so, 5yrs fixed rate during downturn shd be safe enuff?(top up about 500-1k a mth)
    hehe 400K cash downpayment is no prob to you but it might be for some others not so cash rich. Gah-men seems to have calculated correctly to impose the 60% limit on bank loans as it would allow decent cash flow at current interest rates. Cheers!

12xx sq ft for 3+1 or 4 bedder is quite small, condo unit sizes are shrinking visibly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS

how does BTO works ?

place order, put a deposits, 2yrs later take delivery ?

if mkt not hot after 2 yrs ...can still forgo deposit and give up HDB right ??

so whats so good about BTO ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2824
    Maybe a tiered system would work.

Wait 2-3yrs for BTO - priced at 20% of resale
    No wait required get from inventory - no 20% off resale, as need to compensate HDB for holding and financing cost. But buyer get brand new flat and no need to pay agent com.

Just a suggestion, any comments?

But still think BTO is better as it protects the 80% home owners..... and does not disadvantage new applicants as long as they can do some forward planning....
    BTO is good for some group and as many would agree, no one system can satisfy every group of buyers. Well, I propose since there is a min. take up rate required before BTO is built, then let's propose to lower that take up rate to about 50% (not sure what is the current %). Casting the net so wide, we'll eventually have BTO projects that have excess vacant units after completion which can then cater to those who need to buy immediately then. In that sense, it satisfy more groups. Like what is mentioned, just price those vacant BTO units upon completion at slightly higher premiums.

Another note to make.... property market movement is always seasonal. Different system will appeal at different times. With the current mad rush to launch projects, whether BTO or private projects, BTO may not appeal anymore in future coz of oversupply again (back to 2001 to 2006 scenario). Then not enough take up rate so HDB don't build BTO so then must change system again. The cycle is viciously repetitive. What goes up must come down.... watch out ...

Sounds like a feasible option if you lock-in the fixed rate.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    how does BTO works ?

place order, put a deposits, 2yrs later take delivery ?

if mkt not hot after 2 yrs ...can still forgo deposit and give up HDB right ??

so whats so good about BTO ?
    gd point there, how much is the deposit? any1 noes? isit 10% or 20%?

This is what they have to fine tune. I know it is NOT an easy job but going to a zero inventory way is too extreme and just a way to shirk responsibility.

Look at poor MBT. everyday say got more supply coming up got more supply coming up. But what can he do? He has NO ready supply at all. ZERO. glitch.

All the adjustments in supply will come up 3-5 years later. When you have a feedback loop that is so slow, it will then to overshoot and undershoot because you compensate too hard and the effects come up 3-5 years later by which the demand could have changed drastically.

Frankly, I think the government is in position to hold on to excess stock for an extended period of time. I mean even FEO can hold on to its unsold units for years and I don't see why HDB cannot do that.

This is what they have to fine tune. I know it is NOT an easy job but going to a zero inventory way is too extreme and just a way to shirk responsibility.

Look at poor MBT. everyday say got more supply coming up got more supply coming up. But what can he do? He has NO ready supply at all. ZERO. glitch.

All the adjustments in supply will come up 3-5 years later. When you have a feedback loop that is so slow, it will then to overshoot and undershoot because you compensate too hard and the effects come up 3-5 years later by which the demand could have changed drastically.

Frankly, I think the government is in position to hold on to excess stock for an extended period of time. I mean even FEO can hold on to its unsold units for years and I don't see why HDB cannot do that.
    i tink the difference is FEO can artificially hold up their prices during downturn....whereas HDB r obliged to adjust their ready flat prices acording to the resale px rite and thus further dampen the resale prices

demand can disappear overnite but supply of flats is fixed once is completed....cannot reduce overnite wor

however, i feel govt abit too slow to react this round....they shd push out alot more BTO in 2009 and 2010

Mi Casa is in CCK? The figures for cash flow look reasonable but I'm not convinced it's got much upside after yr 4/5 years is up and you wish to sell then. Is there going to be some exciting happenings in that location (so far away from town)?

Most certainly HDB can hold on coz they did that in the first half of last decade and survived. They didn't close shop after that, did they? It is a matter of whether they are willing to sustain those extra expenses. Obviously from MBT, they are unwilling. He seem to say that they are trying to solve the problem of oversupply by totally not supplying till there is demand. This problem will return to haunt them again in the near future. They should start considering dispatching survey teams into the heartland estates to consolidate feedback on the future demands of Singaporeans to have a better and clearer understanding then launch supply today for tomorrow's demands. It is certainly not perfect but it will surely better than the current situation...

Mi Casa is in CCK? The figures for cash flow look reasonable but I'm not convinced it's got much upside after yr 4/5 years is up and you wish to sell then. Is there going to be some exciting happenings in that location (so far away from town)?
    i just pluck mi casa as an example since regulator r looking at it...it doesnt constitute to a buy call