Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pros and cons of Apartment vs Condo

Default pros and cons of Apartment vs Condo

hi any experts can shed some insights on the pros and cons of Apartment vs Condo?

many thanks!

The most important difference is that the terms are spelt differently!

Heh heh heh.... okie, read more below:

Usually condos are deemed to be on a slightly higher tier than a pte apartment (and there are indeed legal definitions of what denotes a condo for Singapore).

However, for investment purposes (i.e. rental not sale hor), the tenant doesn't really bother as some of these pte apts having the usual condo facilities (sans tennis court). That said, some condos have sparse or far fewer facilities than a pte apt project.

The most obvious difference to layman folks like us is that pte apt projects tend to be smaller (land size) than a condo.

The legal difference also considers land size i.e.

The total land area of the development should be at least 40,000sqft or larger.

Additional factors include the following conditions:

The devt must have common facilities, e.g. pool, tennis courts, gym, etc. and;

The devt must be approved and accorded the title of "condominium" by the relevant authorities.

Hope that clears up your query.

The above information is brought to you courtesy of the Geylang Association of OKTs

Condo generally have many more units and facilities but are thus usually more noisy and less exclusive.

I prefer small development cos more exclusive, to me those big condos with many blocks feels like HDB.. The good thing abt condo is the many facilities.. so basically we paid a higher price for the facilities which we may or may not use often. But I do think that the status of a condo is more superior to that of apartment. So apartment gives you lower status..only one class above hdb.. This is my opinion tho.. Jus curious, anybody moved from condo to apartment? I believe many moved from apt to condo to upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by ocoloco79
    I prefer small development cos more exclusive, to me those big condos with many blocks feels like HDB.. The good thing abt condo is the many facilities.. so basically we paid a higher price for the facilities which we may or may not use often. But I do think that the status of a condo is more superior to that of apartment. So apartment gives you lower status..only one class above hdb.. This is my opinion tho.. Jus curious, anybody moved from condo to apartment? I believe many moved from apt to condo to upgrade...
    apt to condo means upgrade meh??? hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by dingding
    hi any experts can shed some insights on the pros and cons of Apartment vs Condo?

many thanks!
    price and location most impt....

Condo and flats have different planning parameters, imposed by URA. Condo's have more stringent setback requirements and must have site area of at least 4000sqm. For sites of more that 4000sqm, developers can choose to declare the development as a flat and hence enjoy less setback constraints.

It's all in URA's website

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e4.htm

That translates to some Apts more expensive than Condos. So does not mean condo more superior than apt.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    price and location most impt....

Location and design is more important. Condo status doesn't bother me

in order of importance, location, price, layout...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Condo generally have many more units and facilities but are thus usually more noisy and less exclusive.
    OLA Residences 50 units but is condo status. So condo does not really mean more units. It does mean that the land area is at least 4000sqm and full facilites.

I think condo and apartment distinguished by land size. condo must be at least 46k plus sqft, so if anything less even with full facilities is still considered apartment

Quote Originally Posted by moomooteo
    OLA Residences 50 units but is condo status. So condo does not really mean more units. It does mean that the land area is at least 4000sqm and full facilites.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I think condo and apartment distinguished by land size. condo must be at least 46k plus sqft, so if anything less even with full facilities is still considered apartment
    Pte apt usually does not have full facilities, usually sans tennis court almost all the time

condo means swimming pool bigger.. i like to swim n gym, so cannot tahan apartment tiny pool/gym..

even if apartment have, if it is smaller than prescribed size, still an apartment. for condo status has to be a certain size

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Pte apt usually does not have full facilities, usually sans tennis court almost all the time

Definition Of A Condominium

A condominium is a type of residential property whereby a part of the development, usually an apartment unit, is individually owned but owners share common areas and facilities with one another.

In Singapore, "Condo" or "Condominium" are terms used for a housing development that comprises a collection of housing units with exclusive features like security guards, swimming pools and a gymnasium. Condominiums in Singapore come in the form of studio units, penthouse units, individual houses or multiple-room units.

In Singapore, a development is granted the condominium status only when the size of the site is at least 40,000 sq ft, and the residents share communal facilities. Basic communal facilities would include a swimming pool, gym, and BBQ area.

Owners of the condo unit become part of the condo association and they have an elected board that's comprised of members from their condo community. The elected board serves as the management and jointly represents ownership of the whole place.

even if apartment have, if it is smaller than prescribed size, still an apartment. for condo status has to be a certain size
    Yes the entire devt has to be a certain land size to be designated a condo. However, the size of the swimming pools, gyms etc can be of similar sizes since those devts designated as pte apts usually do not have tennis courts at all.

Default one more point to add abt aprt

i think generally aprt's maintenance fee is higher than condo too.

I think the difference is that 40% of the site area are for common areas to qualify for condo. Nowadays, people don't really care lah. So even if developers only set aside say 10% of the site of gardens/pool/facilities (i.e. tiny pool and cramped environment), people will still grab. It depends on one's lifestyle. A lot of apartments in good district, land is so precious and developer will try to squeeze in as many units as possible with little left for "unprofitable" common areas, so they fail the "condo" test because common area is minimal with one lap pool.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Condo vs Apt is always about:
    - Condo has more liveable environment, not so cramp within and from neighbouring buildings. (so definitely all else being equal, choose "Condo"! Never pay "Condo" price for "Apt"!).

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Condo and flats have different planning parameters, imposed by URA. Condo's have more stringent setback requirements and must have site area of at least 4000sqm. For sites of more that 4000sqm, developers can choose to declare the development as a flat and hence enjoy less setback constraints.

It's all in URA's website

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e4.htm

Moo Moo

Apartment has smaller pool (at least a 30m pool to be reasonble) as there is fewer people as compared to Condo with larger pool and more people. Bottomline, do not use the facilities during peak period.

Rivergate is Apartment status......go figure. It does not meet URA's definition of a condo.

"Apt" simply means Rivergate failed the "better liveability" criteria! When fail such criteria, how can be good?
    Just quote 1 example: Lousy design, the drunk can climb over the low wall separating Rivergate boundary and the river side!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpepperj
    Rivergate is Apartment status......go figure. It does not meet URA's definition of a condo.

Status doesn't bother me. Just take Rivergate for eg, it is really a superb place to stay in. Facilities wise, don't think it will lose out to "condo". 5 mins walk to pubs and restaurant. Looks wise, I think one of the best. To me, location, layout, amenities and price are very important. Status don't really bother me. You also can't ask for premium by saying my unit is condo status. Doesn't work this way. Just my opinion.

If two condos are located in the same area, similar facilities, same tenure and same age and one is condo and the other is only apartment status, isn't it obvious what the differentiating factor is to buyers?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    Status doesn't bother me. Just take Rivergate for eg, it is really a superb place to stay in. Facilities wise, don't think it will lose out to "condo". 5 mins walk to pubs and restaurant. Looks wise, I think one of the best. To me, location, layout, amenities and price are very important. Status don't really bother me. You also can't ask for premium by saying my unit is condo status. Doesn't work this way. Just my opinion.

If two condos are located in the same area, similar facilities, same tenure and same age and one is condo and the other is only apartment status, isn't it obvious what the differentiating factor is to buyers?
    Of course! The devt with the most chio bus

So how is it possible? If everything the same, the status will be the same.

Granted, if all same, I will choose the cheaper one, better layout, better facilities, better view, higher floor etc. Status still doesn't matter. You need more than a status to make investment decision. Condo status doesn't mean better layout, better facilities or view. To me, screw the status. If anyone is looking at status to make decision, then good for him/her.

Rivergate is a superb place where residence can walk to pub, get drunk, walk home, along the way vomit on the Rivergate walls, urine, climb over the low walls and still get home safely. Only ang mos and drunk like it so much!

"condo" status must be better than "apt"! otherwise you are saying URA head wasting tax payers money to get a group of people to come out with these "condo" criteria and there after have to inspect and award the "condo" or "apt" status (waste manpower and hence tax payers money?)

So how is it possible? If everything the same, the status will be the same.

Granted, if all same, I will choose the cheaper one, better layout, better facilities, better view, higher floor etc. Status still doesn't matter. You need more than a status to make investment decision. Condo status doesn't mean better layout, better facilities or view. To me, screw the status. If anyone is looking at status to make decision, then good for him/her.