Thread: London investment bankers pick S'pore as preferred job location

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default London investment bankers pick S'pore as preferred job location

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...91140,00.html?

Published February 23, 2011

London investment bankers pick S'pore as preferred job location

But the Republic is not expected to be among the biggest financial centres 10 years from now. By Genevieve Cua

SINGAPORE has topped a survey among investment bankers as the most favoured location for jobs, says Astbury Marsden, a financial services recruitment firm. It polled some 300 bankers in London across a range of expertise including corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions. It did not poll private bankers.

Some 27 per cent of respondents chose Singapore as their most favoured location; 22 per cent chose London; 20 per cent picked Hong Kong; 19 per cent chose New York and 13 per cent went for Dubai.

However, on the question of which financial centre is likely to be biggest in 10 years, Singapore was not among the top choices. About 46 per cent of the respondents chose Shanghai; 31 per cent chose Hong Kong; and 8 per cent picked London. Another 8 per cent decided on New York; and 8 per cent selected UAE.

The firm's chief operating officer, Mark Cameron, says: 'Results like this should be of real concern to more established banking centres such as London and New York. Singapore and Hong Kong are thriving economies without the growing swell of anti-banker bias. The UK's super tax and EU bonus proposals have played into the hands of low-tax jurisdictions.'

In 2009, the UK announced a 50 per cent levy on discretionary bank payouts in an effort to dampen bank bonuses that have provoked public ire. This was to be imposed on top of the marginal tax applied to individuals. Bankers had expressed concern that the tax would make London less competitive.

The EU has also toughened bonus rules, limiting cash payouts and forcing a deferral of cash and share bonuses.

Mr Cameron adds: 'While we obviously don't expect any bank to relocate its entire operation out of the UK, we are constantly fielding enquiries from talented bankers in London asking us to find them jobs in the Asia-Pacific region. This is partly due to the growth of those economies but anti-bank sentiment plays a definite role.

'With highly competitive tax rates and exciting career opportunities in South-east Asia, many believe London is losing its allure. Some of the more nimble hedge funds and trading desks have already left.'

Banking sources in Singapore say that there is no shortage of interest from European and US bankers in job prospects in Asia. Typically, banks seek to fill positions with internal transfers first before hiring from the market.

Says Deutsche Bank's head of human resources, Yeo Lai Mun: '(We are) keen on maintaining a global pool of talent within its offices in the region. In this regard, we provide employees across business lines with cross-border transfer opportunities as an ongoing career development proposition for staff.

'Given Singapore's proximity to the other growth markets in the region and that the supercycle of Asia continues, it is only natural that our bankers have expressed interest in relocating to Singapore to gain regional investment banking experience.'

About a quarter of Deutsche Bank's staff here are non-Singaporean.

In private banking, however, BT understands that there is a preference for bankers who have worked in Asia in the past and who have a strong network in the region. There may also be a preference for bankers who are ethnically Asian.

Mark O'Reilly, head of Astbury Marsden's Asia operations, says: 'For every job in Hong Kong or Singapore, we always have people interested; we have no difficulty in finding people for the roles here . . . Everyone is fully aware of the growth of Asian institutions and the career opportunities.'

Hope they don't come with their colonial minset of the past..., ex-colony, can makan, walup our $, take our spg, chase after our SQ gals, milk this land and retire in comfort back home after a few years..

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Hope they don't come with their colonial minset of the past..., ex-colony, can makan, walup our $, take our spg, chase after our SQ gals, milk this land and retire in comfort back home after a few years..
    it is better they dun come here, we dun welcome them anyway.

not just londoners mah

all single expats are like that

so should not welcome all expats

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    not just londoners mah

actually most sg/hk/tw single expats working in china have the same mindset too ...

and they have a lot of mainland chicks throwing themselves at these people ...

Quote Originally Posted by vboy
    actually most sg/hk/tw single expats working in china have the same mindset too ...

and they have a lot of mainland chicks throwing themselves at these people ...
    maybe only difference some of our singapore men end up commiting to those chicks for Long Term, divorce their family in Singapore, pack and run there permanently and enjoy the chicken essence...there

I got one of them. He does not negotiate on rental. He is quite kind and generous as he has been forwarding my mail to me.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph85
    it is better they dun come here, we dun welcome them anyway.
    errr... if they don't come, who is going to rent our apartments?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    not just londoners mah

errr.... if single expat don't come, who is going to rent our MMs?

My single expat is in a two bedder while I see some one bedder is packed with more than 3 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by sh
    errr.... if single expat don't come, who is going to rent our MMs?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    My single expat is in a two bedder while I see some one bedder is packed with more than 3 people.
    This is a quote from my AGENT buddy, ( no offence if you belong to any of the nationals below, am sure there are good apples and bad eggs for any country citizen), just want to share what i heard, based on his experience:

Best tenant: Japanese family for Asian tenants

Worst Asian tenants: think many of you already know..

Best Ang mo tenant: American family

Worst Ang mo tenant: Aussie or British

I have experienced tenants from these nationals. Fortunately, the quote from your agent friend is not true. Even trying french now.
    This is a quote from my AGENT buddy, ( no offence if you belong to any of the nationals below, am sure there are good apples and bad eggs for any country citizen), just want to share what i heard, based on his experience:

Best tenant: Japanese family for Asian tenants

Worst Asian tenants: think many of you already know..

Best Ang mo tenant: American family

Worst Ang mo tenant: Aussie or British

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I have experienced tenants from these nationals. Fortunately, the quote from your agent friend is not true. Even trying french now.
    French not bad, my experience..my neighbour French family, recently after 2 years, i see them getting contractor to touch up house. X'mas even inform me what they are having guests over and apologise that it may get a bit noisy the day before. Actually, i can't even hear any noise when his guests were around..

So far, my french experience has been good.

French not bad, my experience..my neighbour French family, recently after 2 years, i see them getting contractor to touch up house. X'mas even inform me what they are having guests over and apologise that it may get a bit noisy the day before. Actually, i can't even hear any noise when his guests were around..

So far, my french experience has been good.
    depends one lor....have a gd 'interview' b4 signing the dot will certainly helps....i failed 2 groups during interview b4....hehe....better be safe den sorry

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    depends one lor....have a gd 'interview' b4 signing the dot will certainly helps....i failed 2 groups during interview b4....hehe....better be safe den sorry
    Ya, if not your property will be turned into a war zone....