Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflation erodes your CPF savings and cash

Default Inflation erodes your CPF savings and cash

I am starting a new thread to track inflation ... don't believe in CPI number, the actual inflation is much higher, paste price hike of any item you know in this thread.

INFLATION hit a 27-month high in January, surprising even the most bullish of economists.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 5.5 per cent in January, higher than the 4.65 per cent average expectation among private sector economists.

The bulk of the increase was due to rising private transport costs, as well as housing and food.

The last time the CPI hit 5.5 per cent was in October 2008, and the higher inflation recorded last month has prompted economists to raise expectations of a tighter monetary policy, when the Monetary Authority of Singapore releases their first of two policy statements for the year in April.

Last week, the Government unveiled a slew of policies and cash handouts to help families, especially low-income households, cope with the rising cost of living.

Default Car and petrol prices contribute greatly to CPI !!!

COE premiums have risen across the board after easing a little during the last bidding exercise.

The COE premium for cars above 1,600cc ended at $62,000 - a rise of $8,600 or 16.1 per cent.

For Open COEs, which can be used for any vehicle type but which end up being used mainly for bigger cars - the premium registered a 5.3 per cent rise to $62,001 (from $58,890).

Premiums for the popular cars of up to the 1,600cc category, have also risen to $42,999 from $37,124, or 15.8 per cent.

Default RON95 back above $2 !!!

Caltex raises petrol and diesel pump prices
    CALTEX has increased the retail prices of all grades of petrol and diesel by $0.04 a litre on Wednesday.

Regular 92 is now $1.987, up from $1.947, while the new price of Regular 95 is $2.047 (previously $2.007).

Default Preschool fees

Cost of sending a kid to a decent preschool is now $30k over 4 years

Default Kopi price up up up

Starbucks hiked drinks prices by between 10 and 30 cents. A tall latte is now $5.50, up from $5.30, and a tall mocha frappuccino is $5.80, up from $5.50.

Ya Kun, raised its coffee prices by 20 cents last month.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Starbucks hiked drinks prices by between 10 and 30 cents. A tall latte is now $5.50, up from $5.30, and a tall mocha frappuccino is $5.80, up from $5.50.

Ya Kun, raised its coffee prices by 20 cents last month.
    Well, almost everything also up. CPI 5.5%...in Jan, normally index is really basic, not sure it is applies to normal citizens..., maybe for those low income who eat bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 3rm flat or smaller, if have kids they go PAP kindergarten, no external tuition. No movies, just watch TV as recreation and go beach as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic....

Default not sure if i qualify

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Well, almost everything also up. CPI 5.5%...in Jan, normally index is really basic, not sure it is applies to normal citizens..., maybe for those low income who eat bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 3rm flat or smaller, if have kids they go PAP kindergarten, no external tuition. No movies, just watch TV as recreation and go beach as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic....
    not sure if i qualify to be low income but i'm already eating bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 1 bedroom condo, if have kids they go full day childcare cuz no $$$ to employ maid, no external tuition my wife or grandparents teach. No movies, just sleep as recreation and go west coast park as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Should use the affordability indicator by average folks instead . CPI is not accurate and only indicating basic necessity

Default Gardenia high fibre white bread

Quoted from http://www.post1.net/lowem/entry/bread_and_inflation

Gardenia high-fibre white bread (blue packaging), 1x 400g loaf, is now 33% more expensive than 2006.

date price %, prev %, base remarks

2006 $1.70 - - base price

early-2007 $1.80 5.88% 5.88% ... and so it begins

mid-2007 $1.90 5.56% 11.76% before 2% GST increase

7/1/2007 $1.95 2.63% 14.71% after 2% GST increase

9/18/2007 $2.00 2.56% 17.65% $2 for a loaf of bread

11/20/2007 $2.15 7.50% 26.47%

now $2.25 4.65% 32.3%

paste price hike of any item you know in this thread........
    the most obvious is:
    property price up
    rental up

sorry, not staying in Singapore, so cannot think of any food items.

Royal Umbrella rice 5kg pack

B4 2008 under 10
    2008 10.8
    now 13.8

I recalled what my statistics lecturer once said many years back

"Sometime, you just need to decide what your desire outcome, strangled your data in creative ways to cough out that number.... "

In a nutshell, if you find some numbers up thus affecting number, reduce the weightage. If data indicate positive to you desire outcome, increase the weightage.

I use this approach for my final year project to champion my points/thought.. bingo!

If inflation soars... good to hedge by holding property

Quote Originally Posted by tericia
    not sure if i qualify to be low income but i'm already eating bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 1 bedroom condo, if have kids they go full day childcare cuz no $$$ to employ maid, no external tuition my wife or grandparents teach. No movies, just sleep as recreation and go west coast park as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic

well the only thing u din say is that u stay in HDB 3 rm flat or smaller, so I take it that u are not low income but thrifty by choice, so u must have more cash or investment than other who lead the same lifestyle. U stay in condo so your budget goodies is much less. 1 room condo is still private property, goodies dished out is same as those staying in GCB in dist 9, 10, 11.

Ok, joking, good to be thrifty, even have wealth, some people by choice just no need to show off.

If Inflation UP Then
    .....Property Price UP
    .....Rental Price UP

Else
    .....Status Quo

End If

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    If Inflation UP Then
    .....Property Price UP
    .....Rental Price UP

Else
    .....Status Quo

End If

so from bullish --> bearish--->neutral--->bullish?

Default Brent up

Brent oil up, USD112, if oil stays high, 2H inflation could maintain at 6%, official CPI would reach 5-6% this year.

Everything in Mr Bean up 10cents, plain diluted soya milk now at $1.40

Default US warns extreme food prices will stay

US warns extreme food prices will stay
    Pressures seen to overwhelm cooling from new supplies

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4189e60-4...44feabdc0.html

Default you're too kind

well the only thing u din say is that u stay in HDB 3 rm flat or smaller, so I take it that u are not low income but thrifty by choice, so u must have more cash or investment than other who lead the same lifestyle. U stay in condo so your budget goodies is much less. 1 room condo is still private property, goodies dished out is same as those staying in GCB in dist 9, 10, 11.

Ok, joking, good to be thrifty, even have wealth, some people by choice just no need to show off.
    thank you, you're too kind to me. But truthfully, the inflation is causing some concern for me too so that's why i shop at NTUC.

Also in my heart i love to drive a nice BMW or Mercedes but each time i really feel very reluctant to spend it on a car, so end up with another house.

Hopefully 10 years from today when i'm 45, maybe i can drive a nice car, if not 55.

thank you, you're too kind to me. But truthfully, the inflation is causing some concern for me too so that's why i shop at NTUC.

Also in my heart i love to drive a nice BMW or Mercedes but each time i really feel very reluctant to spend it on a car, so end up with another house.

Hopefully 10 years from today when i'm 45, maybe i can drive a nice car, if not 55.
    Thriftiness is a virtue. Actually, NTUC housebrand is not bad..., car is a depreciating asset, so no long if you dun drive one now.., many also not..

35 ...youthful..., young is always good..

Out of Topic, hows your family stay in MM coming along?
    Everybody still alive?
    Update us on how a family of 5 stay in MM.

By the way, a lady's age is supposed to be secret
    Yup, house is income earning asset. car is depreciating asset.

Default MM ok

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Out of Topic, hows your family stay in MM coming along?
    Everybody still alive?
    Update us on how a family of 5 stay in MM.

By the way, a lady's age is supposed to be secret
    Yup, house is income earning asset. car is depreciating asset.
    apologies for going out of point
    and apologies for the misunderstanding. i'm a guy so ok to reveal age.

the MM is ok
    but quite squeezy and no privacy cuz next block building.
    but over all still ok, like hotel.

apologies for going out of point
    and apologies for the misunderstanding. i'm a guy so ok to reveal age.

the MM is ok
    but quite squeezy and no privacy cuz next block building.
    but over all still ok, like hotel.
    How big is your mm? 500-600 sqft hv?

Default MM size

How big is your mm? 500-600 sqft hv?
    the MM size is 398sqft

Cost of sending a kid to a decent preschool is now $30k over 4 years
    My relative told me it's now 50k to 60k for something called Mindchamp Childcare Is that a "decent" preschool ?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    My relative told me it's now 50k to 60k for something called Mindchamp Childcare Is that a "decent" preschool ?
    Not sure about their childcare, but my friend send his son to Tuition at this place, quite popular. PSLE per subject is about $3-4k per year, guarantee better by 1 grade if not money back

Default DC rate to go up

DC rates set to go up, say analysts
    (SINGAPORE) Development charges (DC), payable for enhancing a site's use or for building a bigger project on it, are headed north come March 1, say property consultants. They cite as reasons higher land and property prices over the past six months.

Garmen need some income after handed out so much in the last budget. Take from the rich (developer and translates to home buyers) and give to the poor.
    DC rates set to go up, say analysts
    (SINGAPORE) Development charges (DC), payable for enhancing a site's use or for building a bigger project on it, are headed north come March 1, say property consultants. They cite as reasons higher land and property prices over the past six months.

the MM size is 398sqft
    sorry, but did you say tt your family of 5 is staying in a 398sqft apartment?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

So expensive? Seems to be like not very established?

Try Odyssey or Pat's Schoolhouse, known to be good for full-day. If you can do with half-day, try Chiltern House.

Quote Originally Posted by amk