Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflation erodes your CPF savings and cash

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    I think .55 is still quite low, anyone think this is a concern?

Now I am paying 0.6x for sor rate.

Rumor in China that P&G / Unilever going to up prices soon, resulting in hogging of household items
    Ride at your own risk !!!

To ensure a decent retirement ten years from now, 5k passive income a month is needed. Best way to do it is through rental income, unless you are someone high up in the mlm business with lots of downline to work for you. I have worked out that in the thirty years between 25 and 55, the a average person has to have in least $3+ mil of net assets whether cash or property, that converts to saving roughly 100k per year and 1 million plus in ten years. With the 3 million, split it up into buying 3 properties at 7xxk each, live in one and renting out 2 for 5k-6k plus a month with at least 500k left in the bank for rainy day. This to me is the barest minimum for comfortable retirement, but I wonder how many heart landers can achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    To ensure a decent retirement ten years from now, 5k passive income a month is needed. Best way to do it is through rental income, unless you are someone high up in the mlm business with lots of downline to work for you. I have worked out that in the thirty years between 25 and 55, the a average person has to have in least $3+ mil of net assets whether cash or property, that converts to saving roughly 100k per year and 1 million plus in ten years. With the 3 million, split it up into buying 3 properties at 7xxk each, live in one and renting out 2 for 5k-6k plus a month with at least 500k left in the bank for rainy day. This to me is the barest minimum for comfortable retirement, but I wonder how many heart landers can achieve that.
    yeah, passive income from ppty rental definitely a must...at least keep ur prized HDB for rental lor....kids nowadays r not dependable anymore...

as inflation rises....usually rental will rise la....HDB rental 10yrs ago 3rm flat was 800-900 pm...now 1.5-1.8k pm

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    yeah, passive income from ppty rental definitely a must...at least keep ur prized HDB for rental lor....kids nowadays r not dependable anymore...

as inflation rises....usually rental will rise la....HDB rental 10yrs ago 3rm flat was 800-900 pm...now 1.5-1.8k pm
    3br Bedok central next to CAPL land asking 2k per month

I heard that clementi 3 rm (ng model) can rent for $2.5k a month, wonder why they want to pay that kind of rental for a3 rm hdb when they can rent a suburban condo for that price.

Rumor in China that P&G / Unilever going to up prices soon, resulting in hogging of household items
    The raw material price has gone up, inflation up, oil price up, shipping costs up so it is certain. My corporate already sent out memo to cut back on travel as due to expected increase in raw mat cost soon, might eat into the overall budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I heard that clementi 3 rm (ng model) can rent for $2.5k a month, wonder why they want to pay that kind of rental for a3 rm hdb when they can rent a suburban condo for that price.
    tats crazy

mabe 100k designer renovation?

tats crazy

mabe 100k designer renovation?
    approved flat? or maximize the number of people staying in?

Default family of 5 staying at MM

Can give some tips on how 5 persons can squeeze into 398sqft MM? Double decker in living hall??
    exited the MM for about a month plus already.

5 of us staying in a 400sqft place was not too bad. But 3 kids all young. I thought staying at the MM was great cuz the cleaning was super easy compared to cleaning a big place. I got no maid.

Kids slept on bed, me and wife slept on sofa bed in living room. Whole MM had about 20 boxes and the rest of the 10 boxes plus some big furniture in another house. Small but i think renting for a year or 2 ok, esp for singles working in town.

The only thing was next door has construction so had to close the window but besides that, i enjoyed it. A bit like staying in hotel except that you don't need to worry about your landlord increasing your rent, or your hotel say can't keep you.

Location i feel was the main thing i miss about the MM. Anywhere i wanted to go was super quick. So may consider getting another town property if have the chance.

After i left, i rented out the unit for $3k per month so though the MM can't get high capital gains but the rental is high enough to pay for 2 mortgages for me. Corporate rentals, both before i moved and after i moved out. Quite competitive too cuz i got 3 offers in 2 weeks and went with the highest one.

I don't endorse MMs or any other types of property except that i always believe, got money, can afford, like, buy. So buy big, buy small, it's ok either ways.

Cheers.

Are you referring to robertson edge? Vivace and Wharf Residence to the left and right of RE still under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by tericia
    exited the MM for about a month plus already.

5 of us staying in a 400sqft place was not too bad. But 3 kids all young. I thought staying at the MM was great cuz the cleaning was super easy compared to cleaning a big place. I got no maid.

Kids slept on bed, me and wife slept on sofa bed in living room. Whole MM had about 20 boxes and the rest of the 10 boxes plus some big furniture in another house. Small but i think renting for a year or 2 ok, esp for singles working in town.

The only thing was next door has construction so had to close the window but besides that, i enjoyed it. A bit like staying in hotel except that you don't need to worry about your landlord increasing your rent, or your hotel say can't keep you.

Location i feel was the main thing i miss about the MM. Anywhere i wanted to go was super quick. So may consider getting another town property if have the chance.

After i left, i rented out the unit for $3k per month so though the MM can't get high capital gains but the rental is high enough to pay for 2 mortgages for me. Corporate rentals, both before i moved and after i moved out. Quite competitive too cuz i got 3 offers in 2 weeks and went with the highest one.

I don't endorse MMs or any other types of property except that i always believe, got money, can afford, like, buy. So buy big, buy small, it's ok either ways.

Cheers.

3k for 398. Your agent super....
    Can PM me your agent's number? Mine underperforming, cannot even reach URA median rental psf. Your unit fully furnished? or you bring sofa and bed when you move out?

hopeful: I've a few agents. So i've one for selling, 1 for buying, 1 for rental. Each good in their strengths.

You will need to keep records of good agents that come your way. I usually go back to the same few + all the others loose ones on the side that want to do the deal.

I got 2 $3000 per month offers from 2 agents, and 2 $2800 per month offer from the same 2 agents. The one i closed was actually the one that responded the fastest. If not, $2800 or $3000 was fine with me.

Regulators: yes

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    3k for 398. Your agent super....
    Can PM me your agent's number? Mine underperforming, cannot even reach URA median rental psf. Your unit fully furnished? or you bring sofa and bed when you move out?

hopeful: I've a few agents. So i've one for selling, 1 for buying, 1 for rental. Each good in their strengths.

You will need to keep records of good agents that come your way. I usually go back to the same few + all the others loose ones on the side that want to do the deal.

I got 2 $3000 per month offers from 2 agents, and 2 $2800 per month offer from the same 2 agents. The one i closed was actually the one that responded the fastest. If not, $2800 or $3000 was fine with me.

Regulators: yes
    some just dun believe Mm can fetch so high one lor....bcoz they dun understand y their bigger units fetch so much lower rental in terms of rental psf.....hehe

initially i aso dun believe until i go n physically do some ground work checks

but still prefer 500-600sqft 1bedder....

Default i had help

actually i also didn't believe but someone who owns more properties than my toes and fingers combined told me to go and do research on MM.

He's the type of person that when he tells me to do something i usually go do it. That's when i got a shock on how much rental MM gets.

The downside however, is capital gains.

some just dun believe Mm can fetch so high one lor....bcoz they dun understand y their bigger units fetch so much lower rental in terms of rental psf.....hehe

initially i aso dun believe until i go n physically do some ground work checks

but still prefer 500-600sqft 1bedder....

actually i also didn't believe but someone who owns more properties than my toes and fingers combined told me to go and do research on MM.

He's the type of person that when he tells me to do something i usually go do it. That's when i got a shock on how much rental MM gets.

The downside however, is capital gains.
    what is the downside with capital gains?

5mil...10%oredi 500k
    500k, 10% only 50k

Actually in term of % Cap gain, mm may even surpass bigger units

5mil...10%oredi 500k
    500k, 10% only 50k

Actually in term of % Cap gain, mm may even surpass bigger units
    If based on initial capital, wouldnt MM have higher yield and better cap gain?

If based on initial capital, wouldnt MM have higher yield and better cap gain?
    Higher yield yes, but better cap gain meh?

Default size

because 398 sqft, each time psf goes up by $100, it's only 398 x $100 = $39800. Usually i realised project price goes up by psf unless the buyer has an urgent need, then he/she won't care about valuation and just offer a quantum.

with the current measures, you may get stuck and can't sell the MM cuz lots of stamp duties to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera View Post
    Quoted from http://www.post1.net/lowem/entry/bread_and_inflation

Gardenia high-fibre white bread (blue packaging), 1x 400g loaf, is now 33% more expensive than 2006.

date price %, prev %, base remarks

2006 $1.70 - - base price

early-2007 $1.80 5.88% 5.88% ... and so it begins

mid-2007 $1.90 5.56% 11.76% before 2% GST increase

7/1/2007 $1.95 2.63% 14.71% after 2% GST increase

9/18/2007 $2.00 2.56% 17.65% $2 for a loaf of bread

11/20/2007 $2.15 7.50% 26.47%

2011 $2.25 4.65% 32.3%
    2014 $2.40 up 6.66%

COE premiums have risen across the board after easing a little during the last bidding exercise.

The COE premium for cars above 1,600cc ended at $62,000 - a rise of $8,600 or 16.1 per cent.

For Open COEs, which can be used for any vehicle type but which end up being used mainly for bigger cars - the premium registered a 5.3 per cent rise to $62,001 (from $58,890).

Premiums for the popular cars of up to the 1,600cc category, have also risen to $42,999 from $37,124, or 15.8 per cent.
    2011 vs 2014

75,300 vs 62,000
    71,564 vs 42,999

Royal Umbrella rice 5kg pack

B4 2008 under 10
    2008 10.8
    now 13.8
    now 15.80

so if in 2008, condo is 1080psf, it should be 1580psf now !!!

Default This is more accurate than any CPI !!!

Feb 14 2014

It's almost two weeks since the Chinese New Year weekend but some coffee shops which typically raise their drink prices over the holiday period have made these hikes permanent.

They have cited a number of reasons ranging from increased staff wages to rental costs and prices of food items such as coffee powder, sugar and milk.

An islandwide check with 27 coffee shop operators and drink stall owners showed that eight had raised prices of their coffee and tea beverages by about 10 to 20 cents a cup.

The festive season offered a perfect opportunity for patrons to adjust to the new prices, said at least one stall owner.

Their stalls were located in areas such as Queenstown, Bedok, Tampines, Raffles Place, Ang Mo Kio and Bishan.

At the Golden Shoe Market in Raffles Place, a cup of coffee from Sunrise Traditional Coffee and Toast's stall now costs $1, up by 10 cents from before.

Owner Teo Saiew Lim, 49, said he raised his prices just after the festive period when his supplier notified him that the cost of condensed milk had gone up.

He put up a sign and reprinted his menu to notify customers of the new prices, he added.

Mr Tony Lee, 64, who runs a drink stall at Bedok Central Food Centre said he upped his prices of coffee and tea drinks by 10 cents late last year.

This was to cover increased costs of cleaning services - which went up from $200 to $250 a month late last year - as well as coffee powder.

A 9kg tin of coffee powder used to cost about $40 but recently went up to $75, he added.

Meanwhile, other drink stalls, such as one at Mei Ling Market and Food Centre in Queenstown and another at Pek Kio Market and Food Centre in Owen Road, told The Straits Times they had chosen to absorb the higher costs for now.

Madam Chiang Gek Hiang, 50, owner of Jin Ju Coffee Stall at Pek Kio Market and Food Centre, said she still makes "decent" profits despite the higher costs of raw ingredients.

Mr Hong Poh Hin, chairman of the Foochow Coffee Restaurant and Bar Merchants Association, which represents over 400 coffee shops here, attributed the price hikes to an increase in overall operating costs. Rental and labour costs have risen by about 10 per cent in the past year. "Rent for a coffee shop space in a central area can cost about $80,000 a month. A 10 per cent increase - or $8,000 - is a lot," he said.

Mr Thomas Foo, chairman of the Kheng Keow Coffee Merchants Restaurant and Bar-Owners Association added that costs of utilities, such as electricity and water, have also risen by 10 to 20 per cent.

The association represents more than 300 coffee shops here.

The Consumers Association of Singapore said it has received an estimated six complaints from consumers over the past three years about the high prices of coffee drinks at coffee shops.

Coffee drinker Danny Lim, who is in his 30s and works in the IT industry, said: "If you drink coffee every day, the 10 cent increase adds up to a lot."

Others, such as office manager Karen Peh, who is in her 40s, feel that the price increase is still reasonable. "I'm too used to drinking this type of coffee, as I find it better than those from coffee chains," she said.

"Even if prices rose further, by another 20 cents, I'd still continue to support coffee shops."

McCafe cappuccino @ Bedok mall now 3.80 (elsewhere should be 3.20), in 2011 it was around 2.60-2.80

Montessori preschool fee back in 2010 around 1,600+ per semester, now > 2k+

Caltex raises petrol and diesel pump prices
    CALTEX has increased the retail prices of all grades of petrol and diesel by $0.04 a litre on Wednesday.

Regular 92 is now $1.987, up from $1.947, while the new price of Regular 95 is $2.047 (previously $2.007).
    Regular 92 S$2.160
    Regular 95 S$2.200

Last updated : December 23, 2013

cash under valuation?? check out HDB rental @ Punggol

Old news back in 2012:
    The size of the shop is 559 square feet (51 square meter) which amounts to $58.67 per square feet

speaking of this inflation and CPF etc etc, where is the "inflation bond" gov briefly hinted some time ago ? (Lawrence Wong said it, I believe) Will we see this in this year's budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    speaking of this inflation and CPF etc etc, where is the "inflation bond" gov briefly hinted some time ago ? (Lawrence Wong said it, I believe) Will we see this in this year's budget ?
    hey hey ... they can just say go and buy Capitamall trust 3.08% retail