Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflation erodes your CPF savings and cash

amazing....5 pax within 398sqft...2 adults and 3 yng kids? or 5 adult! lol

Can give some tips on how 5 persons can squeeze into 398sqft MM? Double decker in living hall??

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Can give some tips on how 5 persons can squeeze into 398sqft MM? Double decker in living hall??
    Maybe 1 double decker bunk bed/pullout bed, rest on mattress..., if have 2 beds, believe will be quite squeezy ...to move around during day time..

Default SMRT night bus service fare up 14.2%

PUBLIC transport operator SMRT has raised the fare of all seven of its special late night bus services from $3.50 to $4.

Default hahaha

have been busy past few days and come back to see these questions tickled me quite a bit.

Yes, 3 kids and 2 adults in a 398 sqft MM.

How we stay? Well, kids still young so can use the old school method of all sleeping together on a big or 2 big mattress.

Before i stayed at Lakepoint i rented a room in Whampoa. So the room was even smaller than a whole MM. The MM is quite luxurious actually considering that most hotel rooms are also quite small + the MM is mine so don't have to worry that landlord increase rent by 100% (which was what happened at Whampoa).

I'm also considering double deck living but will miss the 3.8M ceiling at Lakepoint as i think only that height can i make a decent double decker.

Quote Originally Posted by tericia
    have been busy past few days and come back to see these questions tickled me quite a bit.

How we stay? Well, kids still young so can use the old school method of all sleeping together on a big or 2 big mattress.

Before i stayed at Lakepoint i rented a room in Whampoa. So the room was even smaller than a whole MM. The MM is quite luxurious actually considering that most hotel rooms are also quite small + the MM is mine so don't have to worry that landlord increase rent by 100% (which was what happened at Whampoa).

I'm also considering double deck living but will miss the 3.8M ceiling at Lakepoint as i think only that height can i make a decent double decker.
    u sold ur lakept and shift into another MM ppty? or u r waiting for another place to TOP? psps...kapo....hehe

Actually, since kids are still young, quite ok, good also for family bonding...

Default interim

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    u sold ur lakept and shift into another MM ppty? or u r waiting for another place to TOP? psps...kapo....hehe
    The MM just happened that tenant's lease ended in end Jan so we can move in while waiting for another unit to renovate finish. If not got to rent also since the other units the lease all just started in 2010.

I've always bought small units so Lakepoint was a 2 bedroom studio but shifting a 3 bedroom near my son's school in bukit timah.

But that said, we also staying only in 2 bedrooms while 1 of the common bedroom will be rented out so i can get some $$$ to buy more diapers

Published March 1, 2011
    *Inflation bigger threat now than currency wars
    Developing nations abandon talk of currency controls as interest rates rise

(LONDON) As recently as last month, governments of emerging economies from South Africa to Brazil warned that competitive devaluations might be needed to keep their strengthening currencies from stifling economic growth.

Now, talk of currency controls is being abandoned and interest rates are rising as record food prices and oil at US$100 a barrel make inflation the bigger threat. That means developing nations will keep outperforming in the foreign-exchange market, according to Morgan Stanley.

South Africa's finance minister and Indonesia's deputy central bank governor said last week that stronger currencies may quell rising prices. Russia's finance minister said on Feb 21 the central bank will favour a 'very flexible' exchange rate. Brazil Finance Minister Guido Mantega, who spoke of a 'currency war' in September when he pledged to buy dollars to curb the real, declared a 'truce' two months later. Peru, China, Colombia, Indonesia and Russia raised interest rates last month.

'If your main macro-economic problem shifts from one of too weak growth to one of too high inflation, then that is going to lead you to look at tightening monetary policy,' said Jens Nordvig, a managing director of currency research at Nomura Holdings in New York. 'The quickest way to put a cap on inflation is to look at ways that would strengthen your currency.'

Economists at Barclays Capital estimated in a report dated Feb 25 that inflation is accelerating at a 6 per cent rate in emerging economies, compared with less than 2 per cent in developed nations.

'Emerging economies, especially in Asia, are facing significant domestic inflationary pressures, which you see in wages and prices,' said Gabriel de Kock, head of foreign-exchange strategy in New York at Morgan Stanley. Food and energy costs are also experiencing 'significant upward shocks' as international commodity prices surge.

Morgan Stanley favours the ruble, Mexican peso and the ringgit as investors speculate that central banks in commodity-producing countries such as Russia, Mexico and Malaysia will boost rates, according to a Feb 4 report.

Most emerging-market currencies fell last week as turmoil in Africa and the Middle East led investors to seek safer assets. They rallied in the past two years as interest rates at about zero in the US and Japan encouraged investors to seek higher-yielding alternatives. The gains were led by the rand's 44 per cent surge versus the dollar.

Emerging nations may still balk at abandoning capital controls, even as they boost rates to combat inflation, said Jan Loeys, chief market strategist at JPMorgan Chase in New York. Colombia's Banco de la Republica said on Feb 25 it will extend daily dollar purchases in the local market for at least three more months to limit the peso's gains after it unexpectedly raised interest rates for the first time in 10 meetings.

'Countries are worried that if they let their currencies appreciate that would just be like waving a red flag in front of the bull, which is the global capital investor,' he said.

Soaring energy prices threaten to slow the global recovery and stoke inflation. In the US, an extended US$10 increase in oil cuts 0.5 percentage point off growth over two years, according to Deutsche Bank AG.

'When you have the potential for a big supply-side shock, which has the potential to compromise economic growth, then allowing your currency to appreciate isn't necessarily a good thing,' said Alan Ruskin, global head of Group-of-10 foreign-exchange strategy at Deutsche Bank in New York. Investors pulled US$1.9 billion from developing nation stock mutual funds in the week to Feb 23, the fifth week of outflows, according to EPFR Global data cited by Citigroup Inc on Feb 25.

Developin.g countries most reliant on imported oil will be among the first to increase rates, said Luis Costa, an emerging-markets strategist in London at Citigroup. These nations are susceptible to sudden commodity price jumps, with fuel and mining products accounting for about 36 per cent of South Korea's imports, 25 per cent in China, 27 per cent for Turkey and 24 per cent for Indonesia, the New York-based bank estimates.

'Countries like Turkey that are big importers of inflation can't afford to keep pursuing loose monetary policy and exchange-rate depreciation,' Mr Costa said. Turkey's central bank left its main rate unchanged on Feb 15 after two months of cuts to assess whether curbs on lending are reducing consumer demand. -- Bloomberg

The MM just happened that tenant's lease ended in end Jan so we can move in while waiting for another unit to renovate finish. If not got to rent also since the other units the lease all just started in 2010.

I've always bought small units so Lakepoint was a 2 bedroom studio but shifting a 3 bedroom near my son's school in bukit timah.

But that said, we also staying only in 2 bedrooms while 1 of the common bedroom will be rented out so i can get some $$$ to buy more diapers
    hehe...condo rooms easily hit 1.2k pm now....u dun nid so much diapers...

Don't you need "private" moment meh? Go hotel 81 or when kids not around?
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Default inflation eroding my spending power

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Don't you need "private" moment meh? Go hotel 81 or when kids not around?
    inflation eroding my spending power. So can save save + must work for more $$$.

So cheapest way abstain

So cheapest way abstain
    3 kids already hit quota, almost 3x national average.... Jokes aside...so stay in MM, resulting in less private moments, more abstainence..., good that Tericia already achieve target then move into MM, if not...jialat...no wonder budget hotel getting good biz and keep on opening new and more outlets nowadays...

Should make $ work harder for you rather than to save $$$. That is called leveraging but not over leverage. So many people are doing it over here.

So cheapest way abstain

Default 凍頂烏龍茶

台灣搶購凍頂烏龍茶,最好的產地南投縣鹿谷鄉,這終年被雲霧籠罩的高山凍頂烏龍已大幅漲價,由去年的六萬元新台幣(約一萬六千港元一斤),被炒高至近期十萬元新台幣(約二萬七千港元),估計茶葉價格仍會繼續被抬高,愛茶人士極為擔心,就是願意付出較高價錢,仍未必能買到心頭好。

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Warren Buffett is looking for acquisitions as an outlet to deploy his $38 billion cash pile, the legendary investor said in his annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway Inc shareholders on Saturday.

Buffett gave an aggressive earnings forecast for Berkshire's collection of businesses, said the company would engage in record capital spending and forecast a recovery in the housing market would start within a year.

so now we have US recovery story on top of asia growth story? does both of them co-exist? hehe....HUAT AR!

Default excellent

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Warren Buffett is looking for acquisitions as an outlet to deploy his $38 billion cash pile, the legendary investor said in his annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway Inc shareholders on Saturday.

Buffett gave an aggressive earnings forecast for Berkshire's collection of businesses, said the company would engage in record capital spending and forecast a recovery in the housing market would start within a year.
    wow, though i'm not so optimistic but to read that Buffett's Berkshire forecast a recovery really sounds like very good news.

So cheapest way abstain
    why not get out of the rat race?
    You mentioned before you once before got out rat race, the income is huge, more than that earned from the rat race.
    why re-entered the rat race and stayed in mouse hole?

Default mouse hole

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    why not get out of the rat race?
    You mentioned before you once before got out rat race, the income is huge, more than that earned from the rat race.
    why re-entered the rat race and stayed in mouse hole?
    hahaha, well the mouse hole is temporary. After that will be at bigger place.

I've not exited the rat race totally because i can't seem to stop spending as well. Earned more from all income, i end up spending more.

So i like to spend and i know some say not good habit but i was broke once and don't like the feeling of living like a pauper.

But still, got money all end up in another house and i'm highly leverage. So still must work

Default Why Indian inflation is so high relative to Singapore?

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's food price index rose 10.39 percent and the fuel price index climbed 12.56 percent in the year to Feb. 19, government data on Thursday showed.

In the previous week, annual food and fuel inflation stood at 11.49 percent and 12.14 percent.

The primary articles price index was up 14.85 percent, compared with an annual rise of 15.77 percent a week earlier.

The wholesale price index , the most widely watched gauge of prices in India, rose 8.23 percent in January from a year earlier, compared with 8.43 percent in December.

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's food price index rose 10.39 percent and the fuel price index climbed 12.56 percent in the year to Feb. 19, government data on Thursday showed.

In the previous week, annual food and fuel inflation stood at 11.49 percent and 12.14 percent.

The primary articles price index was up 14.85 percent, compared with an annual rise of 15.77 percent a week earlier.

The wholesale price index , the most widely watched gauge of prices in India, rose 8.23 percent in January from a year earlier, compared with 8.43 percent in December.
    phantom, your posts are starting to scare me man..... how's our income going to keep up?

Well they have high growth rate too. The highest in this part of the world as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    hehe...condo rooms easily hit 1.2k pm now....u dun nid so much diapers...
    1.2pm all areas or only at prime?

Default M3 grew by S$67.7 billion or almost 20 per cent in 2009/2010

In the 24 months of 2009 and 2010, M3 money supply - the widest form of money supply measured in Singapore, defined as coins and notes in circulation, money in savings accounts, fixed deposits, demand drafts, etc - grew by S$67.7 billion or almost 20 per cent

=> not sure about accuracy.

Default HDB taking advantage of low rate to entice long term investor

The Housing and Development Board ("HDB") has launched a new issuance of Notes under its S$7 billion Medium Term Note ("MTN") Programme.

The issuance comprises a S$500 million, 10-year Fixed Rate Note issue with a coupon of 3.14% per annum payable semi-annually in arrear.

10y fixed rate at 3.14%, any taker thinks it can beat inflation for next 10y

Default Question

Any macro econs gurus here?

Is it true that property is an effective hedge against inflation? Is it also a hedge against hyper inflation? If inflation soars 100% or 1000% how will that impact ppty prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Localite
    Any macro econs gurus here?

Is it true that property is an effective hedge against inflation? Is it also a hedge against hyper inflation? If inflation soars 100% or 1000% how will that impact ppty prices?
    me no guru...but i believe healthy inflation rate of around 3-5%, ppty will be on par or increase more....however, hyperinflation of more den let say 20%, hell will break loose and ppty price might actually crash....100% inflation....cfm RIOT and mabe WAR

agree with devilplate, property effective hedge only against expected inflation. For hyperinflation, u need gold bar and air ticket

Default SIBOR expected at 0.55% end of year