Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting Out HDB while staying in Pte Condo

Default Renting Out HDB while staying in Pte Condo

Would like to find out from bros here. If u own a flat and the move into a Private Condo(after 5 yrs MOP), under what circumstances will HDB allow you to rent out the whole HDB flat?

Any kind advice will be appreciated.

call HDB hotline

Check website doesn't say anything on that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    Check website doesn't say anything on that.
    Ask HDB.
    Last tum cannot.
    Must stay in HDB. Rent out condo.
    But got case by case loop hole

A lot of people doing it.

Complete 5 yr MOP ok oredi lah

i can confirm that once MOP fulfilled, you can rent out entire HDB flat and stay anywhere you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    i can confirm that once MOP fulfilled, you can rent out entire HDB flat and stay anywhere you want.
    http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10325p....e?OpenDocument

Flat owners and their families must continue to stay in their HDB flats after purchasing private properties. However, exception is made for those who have obtained prior approval from HDB to sublet their flats under the Subletting of Flat policy.

The requisite occupation period for flat owners who wish to sublet their HDB flats is shown below:
    • For non-subsidised flats (flats purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) it is 3 years
    • For subsidised flats (flats purchased directly from HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant) it is 5 years

directly from hdb website.

Confirm once u fulfill 5 yrs MOP u can sublet your HDB. (in a situation u dont own private.

My lousy interpretion "But those whom owns HDB n Private, u must stay in HDB." - from the website

whether you have private or not, still have to seek approval from hdb as formality. no reason why hdb should stop you from renting out whole unit after mop. very simple, just tell them you want to stay with parents (who own hdb) and rent out your own hdb flat, they will surely allow that. of course where you actually stay after that is another matter not within their control.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10325p....e?OpenDocument

Flat owners and their families must continue to stay in their HDB flats after purchasing private properties. However, exception is made for those who have obtained prior approval from HDB to sublet their flats under the Subletting of Flat policy.

The requisite occupation period for flat owners who wish to sublet their HDB flats is shown below:
    • For non-subsidised flats (flats purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) it is 3 years
    • For subsidised flats (flats purchased directly from HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant) it is 5 years

directly from hdb website.

whether you have private or not, still have to seek approval from hdb as formality. no reason why hdb should stop you from renting out whole unit after mop. very simple, just tell them you want to stay with parents (who own hdb) and rent out your own hdb flat, they will surely allow that. of course where you actually stay after that is another matter not within their control.
    the rational is because HDB flat is subsidized by government. It is hard to enforce by HDB cos at this moment there is still shortage of housing for foreigners.

I remembered in those days, I will need to wait for 10 years before 1 can rent out the whole flat or 8 years if I fully paid the flat. The rules change a few times over the last 1o years.

if buyer bought the hdb flat in the open market without taking grant, where got subsidy?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    the rational is because HDB flat is subsidized by government. It is hard to enforce by HDB cos at this moment there is still shortage of housing for foreigners.

I remembered in those days, I will need to wait for 10 years before 1 can rent out the whole flat or 8 years if I fully paid the flat. The rules change a few times over the last 1o years.

if buyer bought the hdb flat in the open market without taking grant, where got subsidy?
    lol this is true for resale flat but I kenna the 10 year MOP in those days. U can sell after 5 years but cannot rent out whole flat until 10 year period with outstanding loan from HDB. (still subsidized rite?)

if you buy the flat first hand from govt, LL have to follow their rules. i didnt know MOP in those days was 10 years, i thought it had all along only been 5 years with grant and 3 years without grant?

lol this is true for resale flat but I kenna the 10 year MOP in those days. U can sell after 5 years but cannot rent out whole flat until 10 year period with outstanding loan from HDB. (still subsidized rite?)

if you buy the flat first hand from govt, LL have to follow their rules. i didnt know MOP in those days was 10 years, i thought it had all along only been 5 years with grant and 3 years without grant?
    yes 10 year MOP if you want to rent out whole flat. I think that was in year 2002 thereabout.(not sell hor)

i have a gungho relative, heck care about hdb, rent out her flat from day one and neighbours have never seen her face before. She is just hoping she doesnt get caught lol

yes 10 year MOP if you want to rent out whole flat. I think that was in year 2002 thereabout.(not sell hor)

i have a gungho relative, heck care about hdb, rent out her flat from day one and neighbours have never seen her face before. She is just hoping she doesnt get caught lol
    Got PRs do just that.
    Whole HDB flat rent out.
    They rent somewhere else. Sublet until stay for free whilst their tenants pay their mortgage.
    Talented enough?

Thanks regulator, what u are saying is that one will have no prob with approval when u apply from HDB for subletting out the HDB lah. i know last time there are no enforcement, but last year they kill chicken and warn monkeys.

i m sure many here owns both HDB n condo, looking at the officical HDB numbers it doesnt feel like alot of people offical inform HDB although it is SERIOUSLY REQUIRED.

Hello guys... really depends when your purchased your flat leh

Now whether subsidised or non-subsidised, it is MOP of 5 years!

You are allowed to sublet your whole flat if you have occupied your:

Non-subsidised flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) for at least 3 years if your application for the purchase of the flat was received before 30 Aug 2010;

Non-subsidised flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) for at least 5 years if your application for the purchase of the flat was received on or after 30 Aug 2010;

Subsidised flat (flat purchased directly from HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant) for at least 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Hello guys... really depends when your purchased your flat leh

Now whether subsidised or non-subsidised, it is MOP of 5 years!
    I thinhk u r right. The stupid thing is that hdb do not update their website info. So need to depend on your memory OR ask that hdb officer and reduce their productivity.

Many lock one room but not staying in there.

Some rent out rooms when whole unit is one room.

I've a separate but related question for the experts here:

Read that the new cooling measures disallow ppl from buying HDB if they already have a private condo. Does "buying HDB" include "inheriting HDB from your parents"??

i.e. if you inherit the HDB from your parents, will you be forced to sell your private condo?

Good question, I think the policy talks about ownership of both hdb n private not just buying, so unless you own the hdb flat before regulation, you might have to sell the hdb after inheriting
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptikos

Read that the new cooling measures disallow ppl from buying HDB if they already have a private condo. Does "buying HDB" include "inheriting HDB from your parents"??

i.e. if you inherit the HDB from your parents, will you be forced to sell your private condo?

in 6 months time

Duplicated posting...** DELEL**

yes...even you are the ONLY son. i had checked

actually... more are doing so..just keep quiet and hope not to get caught.
    Best part is the rental in mature estate central is so high that may be able to cover monthly installment for suburban condo

I saw in newspaper those first timer only get fine of a few miserly k. Only those really hardcore repeated offenders will get their flats confiscated. So far, I only see like 1 or 2 cases. If this is the case, then I can well take the risk. 2k a month, I would have 24k a year or 120k for 5 years. Who will know if I rent to a family who take care of my house and friendly to neighbours from day 1. Of course, you don't be dumb to rent to 20 banglas. My logic is simple. If I know my flat is still mine after first warning and the fine is a few k, I would gladly exchange it for 120k over 5 years and sell for 100% profit. Assuming 250k profit + 120k rental, you get 370k for investing 50k over a period of 8 years. To me, that is a disgusting 750% profit. Compare to 2.5% in OA or even 5% in SA That is close to 100% returns every year. Correct me if I am wrong here. Not really sure about HDB policies and convicted rate. Above is just a plain guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mogyi
    actually... more are doing so..just keep quiet and hope not to get caught.
    Best part is the rental in mature estate central is so high that may be able to cover monthly installment for suburban condo

I have a friend, very kungfu,
    Husband and Wife, both bankrupt, with debt for more than S$10m

bot a HDB flat, never stay there, rented out
    and they themselves, stayed in big Sime-D, driving big cars...with maid...trip to Genting is routine....

truly super kungfu

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I have a friend, very kungfu,
    Husband and Wife, both bankrupt, with debt for more than S$10m

bot a HDB flat, never stay there, rented out
    and they themselves, stayed in big Sime-D, driving big cars...with maid...trip to Genting is routine....

truly super kungfu
    you sure they are bankrupt? creditors never go after their assets like semi-D and cars?
    Also need permission to travel overseas right?
    if bankrupt, buy handphone (or maybe apply for line) also need permission,

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    you sure they are bankrupt? creditors never go after their assets like semi-D and cars?
    Also need permission to travel overseas right?
    if bankrupt, buy handphone (or maybe apply for line) also need permission,
    ya, I am one of his creditors as well
    got from the OA, all the details

They are super kungfu....