Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Residents sue listed developer City Developments Limited

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Not just 600k. Not so simple. It's admission of guilt. This will lead to many other law suits. DENY at ALL COSTS
    well the case could be settled out of court and with an undisclosed amount. It will be just like the SHE Selina case.

with the pending legal suit it will just be very wrong for the developer to contest and eventually win the case. I will avoid/re-consider CDL project in future bearing in mind that they are unfriendly to home owner.

So in the end CDL is still a big looser. There is a bigger picture for CDL to take care of - company image. It takes one such case to bring down they name and it takes 10 years for FEO to rebuilt their reputation.

I believe the units are sold after the project is completed. hence sold "as it is".

Just like anyone of us sold our property "as it is". We would not be held responsible for whatever defects in the unit.

What is missing here is whether CDL has made this point clear when the units are sold.

Not just 600k. Not so simple. It's admission of guilt. This will lead to many other law suits. DENY at ALL COSTS
    nah...the developer can asked the parties to sign letter of understanding of discharge. Pay the monies , bat bat the backside and be free..

a property of mine, the basement car park alway got water pounding(uneven surfacing)..the stupid MC agreed and received $200K to close the case...now with that money can't even solve the issue and worst kana complain here and then from the resident..They(MS) should insisted them to retify it instead of compensation

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    I believe the units are sold after the project is completed. hence sold "as it is".

Just like anyone of us sold our property "as it is". We would not be held responsible for whatever defects in the unit.

What is missing here is whether CDL has made this point clear when the units are sold.
    The plaintiff lawyer could argue that the developer should take reasonable care to ensure the project is built in accordance to workmanlike manner and follow industry standard. If the project start to have leaking problems here and there within a short period, the developer cannot escape liability. Wear and Tear and maintenance could be an issue but workmanship/structural defects is something that is inherited from the construction stage.

however to prove reasonable care may not be easy if there is no strong evidence. For such case, expert surveyor could be sought.

I think this will probably be settled out of court.

I love what the CDL lawyer said: " there is no such thing as a perfect building"

I really hope this time small flies can win !

This project only has 51 units but it has full condo facilities (including tennis court), imo not bad. I think maybe developer tu lan they did not build more units and utilising the land to the max which possibly explains the situation now

leaking basement carpark - from poor workmanship or material used laying the water proofing membrane which resulted in porous concrete and leaking take place. To make good it can be an extensive job. MSCP better no headache.

But built in 2003.....erm almost 8 years ago & only 51 owners they may not like to foot the bill for such extensive job.

hey good to buy from reputable developer ...can go after them even thou its so long ago.

This development sucks. The layout for their penthouse unit makes me giddy.
    When i was considering buying, 1 year after TOP, the wear & tear is already obvious......and it is developer sale.

Both FEO & CDL sucks in quality, IMHO.

My impression is that quality wise small projects tend to be not as good as bigger ones, regardless of which developer.

Quote Originally Posted by urban
    This development sucks. The layout for their penthouse unit makes me giddy.
    When i was considering buying, 1 year after TOP, the wear & tear is already obvious......and it is developer sale.

Both FEO & CDL sucks in quality, IMHO.

i used to own a CDL project ... workmanship was very good .. and even after 10yrs ... it still looked new ...

i have never bought any FEO projects ... haerd too much about their 'quality'...
    1 reason i dislike FEO is that for all their projects built in the same period ..all have the same material / tiles ... cant help but feel they buy in bulk, get bulk discounts and yet sell ex ex

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Project too small (too few units) - maintenance fee high and still can't do good maintenance because of budget issues and no economy of scale.

Project too big (too many units) - maintenance fee lower but like fish market, always feel so crowded everywhere in the estate with so many people around. Furthermore, swimming pool always so dirty, things wear out and spoilt faster than they can get them repaired and restored to working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    My impression is that quality wise small projects tend to be not as good as bigger ones, regardless of which developer.

Heard the case was settled out of court from colleague?

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Heard the case was settled out of court from colleague?
    Ya, settled, strange, CDL shld have done this even before case went to court when they know it is their best interest to keep this quiet..:

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...-feud-with-CDL

Emery Point owners settle feud with CDL

Rectification of defects may cost between $512,380 and $626,350

by Leong Wee Keat
    05:55 AM Feb 09, 2011
    var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em');
    SINGAPORE - A day after their scheduled 10-day court hearing began, disgruntled unit owners of a condominium agreed to settle with all eight parties - the developer, main contractor, five sub-contractors and architect - they had sued over alleged building defects.

In a joint press statement yesterday evening, Emery Point's management corporation clarified there were only 16 water leakage points in the basement car park, instead of the 280 claimed. "The 280 points refer to proposed grouting points to address the leakage according to the defendants' expert's opinion," said the statement.

Meanwhile, City Developments Limited (CDL) said it has "always been conscious of the quality of (its) projects and at all times fully discharged their duties and obligations as the developer of the estate". For Emery Point, CDL said it had "gone beyond its obligations" by procuring rectification work for defects at individual units.

Besides the leaks in the basement car park, a third of the Ipoh Lane condominium's 51 units were leaking rainwater. Residents also claimed the swimming pool had sharp surfaces that cut swimmers and ruin their swimwear.

CDL said yesterday it had appointed a building surveyor to conduct an inspection before handing over the property. Defects discovered were rectified before the present management corporation took over the common property in July 2005.

To further ensure that unit owners were protected from any defects, CDL said it obtained joint warranties from the main contractor and the subcontractors for a period of five or 10 years.

"Subsequently, whenever any defects arose, the architect, main contractor and the subcontractors would attend at the condominium to address the concerns raised by the management corporation and the unit owners," said the joint statement.

The parties said they were pleased to have resolved the dispute. "The management corporation will be using the settlement sum to do up Emery Point, which should enhance its value," they said of the development that won two construction awards in 2005.

Tender prices submitted by three general contrac

Yes, its in straits times today. The issue was settled out of court. At least CDL is quick to do service recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Yes, its in straits times today. The issue was settled out of court. At least CDL is quick to do service recovery.
    Just check share price today: no up, slight drop

Stock Name: CITYDEV09/02/2011 09:40

Last: 11.060Change: -0.140Volume: 590,000Remarks: - Change (%): -1.25%Price Range: 11.000 - 11.140

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Damage done on reputation then take recovery actions. CDL's management approach is questionable.

CDL should addressed this privately and promptly rather than letting it known openly and draggy for years.

Agents would have a hard time to explain to buyers for future CDL's new launch..

H2O residences might be affected....starbuys? 600psf

But FEO generally have higher ceilings - definitely higher than CDL. So I guess it depends on what one is looking for. If ceiling height is important, then FEO is the developer more likely not to shortchange you on that. And if you look at 10 year old projects, many CDL projects use a cheaper grade of marble/timber than FEO. In fact, I've seen laminate flooring (laminate are like stickers to create fake wood) on some CDL projects - but hardly FEO. even if they are in bulk, they are not resorting to compressed marbles or laminates which is the worst quality imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i used to own a CDL project ... workmanship was very good .. and even after 10yrs ... it still looked new ...

i have never bought any FEO projects ... haerd too much about their 'quality'...
    1 reason i dislike FEO is that for all their projects built in the same period ..all have the same material / tiles ... cant help but feel they buy in bulk, get bulk discounts and yet sell ex ex

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Project too big (too many units) - maintenance fee lower but like fish market, always feel so crowded everywhere in the estate with so many people around. Furthermore, swimming pool always so dirty, things wear out and spoilt faster than they can get them repaired and restored to working condition.
    This is not always true for all the big projects
    Perhaps, it is more for the mass market projects which I am frightened of the crowded and noise at the pools

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    But FEO generally have higher ceilings - definitely higher than CDL. So I guess it depends on what one is looking for. If ceiling height is important, then FEO is the developer more likely not to shortchange you on that. And if you look at 10 year old projects, many CDL projects use a cheaper grade of marble/timber than FEO. In fact, I've seen laminate flooring (laminate are like stickers to create fake wood) on some CDL projects - but hardly FEO. even if they are in bulk, they are not resorting to compressed marbles or laminates which is the worst quality imaginable.
    Any idea what is average ceiling for CDL vs FEO projects? Normal ceiling height is 2.8m ? High Ceiling mean 3.2m?

most of the water proofing in new condo has 10 years warranty, and other items have 5 years.

Hopefully, this condo after the case, does not discharge the developer from these

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Any idea what is average ceiling for CDL vs FEO projects? Normal ceiling height is 2.8m ? High Ceiling mean 3.2m?
    some condos have ceiling height of 3.3 meters. Mine, for example.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Yes you are right, not always true for all projects but true for most projects, generally the mass market ones you mentioned. All their neighbours from neighbouring HDB flats also come to enjoy their condo facilities. I know of many people own HDB flats, buy condos nearby, rent out, then go to their condos to use facilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Perhaps, it is more for the mass market projects which I am frightened of the crowded and noise at the pools

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Yes you are right, not always true for all projects but true for most projects, generally the mass market ones you mentioned. All their neighbours from neighbouring HDB flats also come to enjoy their condo facilities. I know of many people own HDB flats, buy condos nearby, rent out, then go to their condos to use facilities!
    Yes, that happens. A lot depends on the mgt council and how stringent they want to enforce the rules. The maintenance of the estate also depends on the effectiveness of the MC. In fact, the whole operations of the estate depends on the MC - the type of managing agent, the quality of the guards, the introduction and enforcement of rules and regulations. Of course, the residents are also responsible.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Projects near HDB flats. Condos (including suburban condos) away from the hustle and bustle will not have this problem. And exclusively private residential areas (East Coast, Hillview, West Coast) will not have problems becos every other condo there has their own swimming pool and tennis court therefore nobody needs to gatecrash.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

I won't say I've seen all the developments to derive an "average" but a lot of FEO projects are ~3.1 meters and above and CDL I've seen like 2.7-2.8 meters? Also, CDL some old condos use compressed marble in living/dining and laminate in bedrooms. Laminate is using plywood (wooden chips compressed together) and sticking a "timber-looking" sticker on top to make it look like timber strip.

Quote Originally Posted by land118

Projects near HDB flats. Condos (including suburban condos) away from the hustle and bustle will not have this problem. And exclusively private residential areas (East Coast, Hillview, West Coast) will not have problems becos every other condo there has their own swimming pool and tennis court therefore nobody needs to gatecrash.

estate in CCK ... Yishun..... Pasir ris ...etc

i am sure many HDBers there are gate crashing the condos facilities ...

i have witnessed it myself ... many times

I won't say I've seen all the developments to derive an "average" but a lot of FEO projects are ~3.1 meters and above and CDL I've seen like 2.7-2.8 meters? Also, CDL some old condos use compressed marble in living/dining and laminate in bedrooms. Laminate is using plywood (wooden chips compressed together) and sticking a "timber-looking" sticker on top to make it look like timber strip.
    I think HDB floor to ceiling height is about 2.6m..., mean CDL is almost same as HDB height. Think 3m & above would look better. Nowadays, i come across some project with 3.2m ceiling height, Agent remarked that it is "High Ceiling". As for floor, agree, best is granite, if not then marble (but not compressed marble). As for laminate, think there are wide difference in quality. I just check www.floorxpert.com website; Pergo brand - Malaysian made laminate 15yrs warranty, while same brand Made in Sweden is 50yrs warranty, such a big difference.