Thread: Day trip to City Lights @ Boon Keng (DBSS, HDB)

Default Day trip to City Lights @ Boon Keng (DBSS, HDB)

Hey guys,

I know this may not be relevant to CondoSingapore forum but we should be interested in Design, Build and Sell Scheme (DBSS).

City Lights, the second DBSS launched by HDB, has just TOP and since this is the place of my childhood I love to visit this area. I happened to walk there after visiting my relative today and took some photos.

Developed by Hoi Hup Sunway Development and marketed in 2008, it was quickly snapped up despite the price.

3rms - $349,000 to $394,000
    4rms - $523,000 to $597,000
    5rms - $536,000 to $727,000

I was impressed by those security gates and cameras within the building but was put off by the huge window in the bathroom. Yes, even for those living on the ground floor. The grills also make it look like a bird cage for those living on the ground floor. I was surprised by the narrow corridor and staircase. I didn't know it such compact common areas were possible. However, I love the furnishing but it might be too restricting for any major renovation. All the units are furnished and air-conditioned.

Enjoy the photos.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/ecimbew/

It is pretty impressive! Location, build quality, looks, etc can be on par with some of the new mass market leasehold condos. Only thing missing is the security guards, condo facilities, lush landscaping(even then, this is not bad) and of course the 5 years moratorium on resale.

I think this is call Cityview, not City Lights.

The looks is not bad, look like some mass market condo. But 550k for 4 bedrooms is ridiculous. Remember, DBSS is HDB. Just a nicer HDB now. 2 years later, HDB will look like this. Can't imagine people paying 300k more for 2 years of looks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ecimbew
    Hey guys,

I know this may not be relevant to CondoSingapore forum but we should be interested in Design, Build and Sell Scheme (DBSS).

City Lights, the second DBSS launched by HDB, has just TOP and since this is the place of my childhood I love to visit this area. I happened to walk there after visiting my relative today and took some photos.

Developed by Hoi Hup Sunway Development and marketed in 2008, it was quickly snapped up despite the price.

3rms - $349,000 to $394,000
    4rms - $523,000 to $597,000
    5rms - $536,000 to $727,000

I was impressed by those security gates and cameras within the building but was put off by the huge window in the bathroom. Yes, even for those living on the ground floor. The grills also make it look like a bird cage for those living on the ground floor. I was surprised by the narrow corridor and staircase. I didn't know it such compact common areas were possible. However, I love the furnishing but it might be too restricting for any major renovation. All the units are furnished and air-conditioned.

Enjoy the photos.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/ecimbew/

The design and furnishing of common areas remind you that you are staying in a HDB estate. But for the price next to MRT and very near to city area, it is very much worth it. People who don't like to use swim or use the gym will love it. Being HDB also means that it is FH, not 99 years unlike EC.

The design doesnt look exclusive though I must agree that it is slightly better than most HDBs. Pavement tiles resemble those of Duxton. Although Duxton is not a DBSS, it somewhat looks better than Cityview, has better location and is way cheaper than Cityview.

I thought groundfloor units exist only in old HDB developments... so cliche.

Units are also closely spaced especially those adjacent units. Imagine you going out when your neighbour is coming home or vice versa. Better pray you got a good and friendly neighbour.

Interior does look nice and matches those mass market condo. Some people may still hack down everything and replace with own fitting designs though and leads to wasted resources.

Overall, I opined that it is neither here nor there. Location is near central, designs maginally edged those new HDBs, units tightly spaced and of course way too pricey. I reckon the new Dawson development would have the same or even better design. It is in a better location too.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    The design and furnishing of common areas remind you that you are staying in a HDB estate. But for the price next to MRT and very near to city area, it is very much worth it. People who don't like to use swim or use the gym will love it. Being HDB also means that it is FH, not 99 years unlike EC.
    All HDB are Leasehold.

HDB is 99LH perpetually renewable via SERS after about 40 years+. It's virtually FH.

HDB is 99LH perpetually renewable via SERS after about 40 years+. It's virtually FH.
    Comes with buy back guarantee too...

It just reflects the current trend = white with a lot of glass. current fad.

I don't why people have to say it looks like "mass market condo", as if trying to say one has "taste". Seriously, any other condo today (other than reflections) looks like that or variations of that, including those in prime districts.

This is high-end Four Seasons Park http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/proje...asons-park-268

This is mass market Regent Heights http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/proje...nt-heights-187

Does the "high end" above look that much different? It reflects the taste and fad during that period of time. But I'm sure some here AFTER seeing the address will say (a) looks so much better blah blah and (b) is mass market blah blah. It's really shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by KC76
    The design doesnt look exclusive though I must agree that it is slightly better than most HDBs. Pavement tiles resemble those of Duxton. Although Duxton is not a DBSS, it somewhat looks better than Cityview, has better location and is way cheaper than Cityview.

I thought groundfloor units exist only in old HDB developments... so cliche.

Units are also closely spaced especially those adjacent units. Imagine you going out when your neighbour is coming home or vice versa. Better pray you got a good and friendly neighbour.

Interior does look nice and matches those mass market condo. Some people may still hack down everything and replace with own fitting designs though and leads to wasted resources.

Overall, I opined that it is neither here nor there. Location is near central, designs maginally edged those new HDBs, units tightly spaced and of course way too pricey. I reckon the new Dawson development would have the same or even better design. It is in a better location too.
    Last edited by Wild Falcon; 04-02-11 at 09:36.

Is this SERS applicable to ALL HDB flats by default?
    Is the renewable free for owners?

Quote Originally Posted by marc2050
    Is this SERS applicable to ALL HDB flats by default?
    Is the renewable free for owners?
    So far yes. No free renewable, but u will be compensated for the old flat and given VIP preview + big discount for new HDB flats.

So far yes. No free renewable, but u will be compensated for the old flat and given VIP preview + big discount for new HDB flats.
    How much is the discount? Any example? It does sound like a good scheme. But wonder how long would it last?

Quote Originally Posted by marc2050
    How much is the discount? Any example? It does sound like a good scheme. But wonder how long would it last?
    It's a very big discount This is a political issue, and it should last as long as ruling party wants to stay in power.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb

The looks is not bad, look like some mass market condo. But 550k for 4 bedrooms is ridiculous. Remember, DBSS is HDB. Just a nicer HDB now. 2 years later, HDB will look like this. Can't imagine people paying 300k more for 2 years of looks in advance.
    Yes, yes. Silly me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb

You're not paying for the 4 rooms - it's the location...it's damn near town. BTW, how far is the walk to the MRT.

The rental yield would potentially be really higher...even higher than HDB rental yield in the suburbs.

I don't think most of the residents can benefit from high HDB rent as they have to stay inside for at least 3 years. By the time they can start renting out in 2014, there may be a glut of condos for rent (along serangoon road) and the economy cycle might turn for the worse.

SERS is liked striking lottery, dont bet on it....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Lots of difference between Four Seasons Park (FSP) vs Regent Heights (RH) lah!

1. Road name:
    - FSP: Cuscaden Walk (so elegent name)
    - RH: Bukit Batok East Avenue 5 (alamah! So low-class HDB estate name!)

2. vehicles in estate:
    - FSP: branded cars like Merc, BMW, Porsche etc.
    - RH: 2 wheeler strewn all over the place. Regulators called those mainlanders and Parapoon??? living in RH cheapskate.

3. Within the estate:
    - FSP: 202 units in estate
    - RH: 645 units in estate! (wow! So "mass" market - pack so many units into such small size estate!)

4. Tenure:
    - FSP: Freehold
    - RH: 99years leasehold from 1995

5. Penthouse size:
    - FSP: 572 sq m
    - RH: 203 - 241 sq m
    A 3 bedroom in FSP is about the size of the Penthouse in RH! (wow! RH PH looks MM in comparison to FSP PH!).

6. *** Take a look at description by "Singapore Condo" website and FSP description is so high-class while RH description is so low-class :

Four Season Park:
    Address: 8, 10, 12 Cuscaden Walk
    Type of Development: High Rise Condominium
    Tenure: Freehold
    District: 10
    Year of Completion: 1994
    No. of Units: 202
    Developer: HPL Properties Pte Ltd
    Unit sizes:
    3 bedrooms: 210 sq m
    4 bedrooms: 210 - 267 sq m
    6 bedrooms: 355 sq m
    Penthouse: 572 sq m

Four Seasons Park is one of Singapore’s most popular up-market apartment among the expats because of its strategic location. It is located beside the Orchard Shopping belt, MRT station, International Schools and amenities close by.

Enjoy spacious interiors and large sized kitchens with island counters to fit the modern needs of families.

Four Seasons Park enjoys great facilities like a good size pool, clubhouse, function rooms and the beautiful garden. Residents can enjoy the outdoor area where there are heaps of family activities available for the kids and the adults.

Regent Heights:
    Address: 50 - 56 Bukit Batok East Avenue 5
    Type of Development: Condominium
    Tenure: 99 years
    District: 23
    No. of Units: 645
    Year of Completion: 1999
    Developer: Bukit Landmark Properties Pte Ltd (Far East)
    Unit sizes:
    Studio: 96 sq m
    2 bedrooms: 95 sq m
    3 bedrooms: 108 - 143 sq m
    Penthouse: 203 - 241 sq m

Regent Heights is one of the tallest condominium projects located in the Hillview, Bukit Batok area.
    Regent Heights is close to the Pan Island Expressway (PIE), AYE and Bukit Batok MRT Station, Bukit Panjang Shopping Mall, The Rail Mall and West Mall. A mere 5 minutes bus ride is all it takes to go to the Bukit Batok MRT station and shopping mall. It is within walking distance to the HDB shops and markets located in Bukit Batok.

Go to see pictures here and you can also see the grandness of FSP vs the cheapskate look of RH:

FSP: http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singa...asons-park.htm

RH: http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singa...nt-heights.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    It just reflects the current trend = white with a lot of glass. current fad.

I don't why people have to say it looks like "mass market condo", as if trying to say one has "taste". Seriously, any other condo today (other than reflections) looks like that or variations of that, including those in prime districts.

This is high-end Four Seasons Park http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/proje...asons-park-268

This is mass market Regent Heights http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/proje...nt-heights-187

Does the "high end" above look that much different? It reflects the taste and fad during that period of time. But I'm sure some here AFTER seeing the address will say (a) looks so much better blah blah and (b) is mass market blah blah. It's really shallow.
    Last edited by teddybear; 07-02-11 at 18:58.