Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is staying in penthouse like?

If you know how to decorate the roof terrace (provided also that the space is big enough and not splitted into 2 or 3 small spaces) , penthouses are brilliant for stay! See pics of rooftop bars below:

Those are roof-top restuarants right? Probably you need a lof people to maintain and carry the furniture in when it rains, which is very often...

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Thanks for sharing. Penthouse really looks very hot during the day.
    I dun stay in a classical penthouse. but it is on the highest floor (17th).

Before i buy, my parents oso scared cos the heat can "penetrate" the ceiling.

After i stayed for > 3mths, i think this is a misconception. If it is a hot day, anywhere will be hot, be it on the ground floor or PH.

For my unit. the additional "heat" from the ceiling (if any cos i dun feel it), are balanced by the unblocked air circulation (cos high floor too).

my 2

Thanks for sharing. Penthouse really looks very hot during the day.
    Kekek... maybe coz you're looking up towards the sun

Hi, given a 2 bedroom unit size 970sf vs a 2 bedroom penthouse same size, and same location selling at the same price , which is a better buy? Former is one level but huge, latter is split into two levels plus PES so smaller, but it is a penthouse. Thks.

having stayed in 2000sq ft house for 10 years with just 2 of us. I headache when comes to cleaning. Nice to stay but comes with high maintenance cost.

Hi blue, nice picture you have but how to go about attaching these pictures here?

Those are roof-top restuarants right? Probably you need a lof people to maintain and carry the furniture in when it rains, which is very often...
    maybe they use outdoor furniture and cushion? so no need to shelter from rain too often

Quote Originally Posted by Montaigne
    Hi, given a 2 bedroom unit size 970sf vs a 2 bedroom penthouse same size, and same location selling at the same price , which is a better buy? Former is one level but huge, latter is split into two levels plus PES so smaller, but it is a penthouse. Thks.
    furnish us with more details....project name...special facing? nice view for PH?

if within the same project and similar views, PH definitely lower PSF by 10-20% depending on the % of PES.....those with entire open terrace on top can expect 30-40% discount

These are all outdoor furnitures which are weather proof. U can also do shades, polycarbonates, roof awnings, gazebos to filter the rain and sun.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    Hi blue, nice picture you have but how to go about attaching these pictures here?
    When u reply to a thread, there is this small icon with a hill. Click on that, and paste the hyperlink / webpage of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    furnish us with more details....project name...special facing? nice view for PH?

if within the same project and similar views, PH definitely lower PSF by 10-20% depending on the % of PES.....those with entire open terrace on top can expect 30-40% discount
    Penthouses - most impt is the view. It has to be unblocked for good wind ventilation plus view of the city lights and/or sea view is totally undescribeable.

Nowadays, I enjoy going up to my roof terrance for fine dining and wine tasting at night with friends, soaking in my jacuzzi hot tub, enjoy the breeze and the city night views, glazing at the moon and stars. For an additional price of 50% more than a non-penthouse unit and yet double the space because of 2 storeys, it is worth the investment. Also can use the extra space to dry laundry under natural sun and wind without the need for a dryer.

If you are referring to the same development and within the same block, the penthouse on top is normally double the size of the lower floor non-penthouse unit. Although double the space, penthouse are typically 150% of the price of the lower non-penthouse unit.

I mean not the same development...WHat I mean is if you can get a penthouse at the same price, is it worth getting it over the single level more spacious unit? For two bedder, for some projects within same area, the price can get penthouse of similar sf. Last time 2 bedder is around $550K-$700K, now, a 2 bedder cost close to 1 mil...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Penthouses - most impt is the view. It has to be unblocked for good wind ventilation plus view of the city lights and/or sea view is totally undescribeable.

Nowadays, I enjoy going up to my roof terrance for fine dining and wine tasting at night with friends, soaking in my jacuzzi hot tub, enjoy the breeze and the city night views, glazing at the moon and stars. For an additional price of 50% more than a non-penthouse unit and yet double the space because of 2 storeys, it is worth the investment. Also can use the extra space to dry laundry under natural sun and wind without the need for a dryer.
    Absolutely true. Plus you can have a private roof top garden. Besides there is absolutely no noise coming from the ceiling when you are sleeping;-)

i go for PH anytime.. i like to be on top of everyone else
    n soak in my own privacy.. provided there is no othr buildings overlooking mine..

Default got it and thank you very much!!

When u reply to a thread, there is this small icon with a hill. Click on that, and paste the hyperlink / webpage of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    Cool!!!!!! This is nice!

I have some experience, so here are my 2 cents:

- most 'PHs' are actually duplexes or maisonette - else top unit in HDBs are penthouses already. So despite what developers call it, a 2 storey 1000 sq ft duplex is NOT a penthouse unless you dun mind the tag 'shoebox penthouse'

- always look for roof terrace that is not too big (if the PES is more than 25-30% of total sq ft then it's not really a good buy IMO) so less unblocked surface that gets heated up

- heat-wise, it does not mean if PH level is high it's cooler - it depends, apart from west sun facing (try to avoid please), on the attic architecture. Look for those with roofs that are slanted at an angle - a well designed tall attic helps to insulate against the heat. Whereas those modern flat designs with a low attic (or none) will roast you alive in summer. The same goes for landed housing, which is why the older type housings are cool even during sunny days.

- a main attraction of PHs is the living room loft due to the 2 storeys, so make sure there is one. Else unless one sees the stairway, you couldn't tell it is a PH. The loft makes the living room spacious and comfy and a star selling point if properly designed.

- if roof terrace is big, try to reduce heat absorption with plants and shades - try to get corner units if possible that has the most unblocked view (they have 270 degrees view as compared to the rest)

- low and high-rise PHs are all matter of preference - the most important thing is you won't hear stomping noises from your upstairs neighbour

I mean not the same development...WHat I mean is if you can get a penthouse at the same price, is it worth getting it over the single level more spacious unit? For two bedder, for some projects within same area, the price can get penthouse of similar sf. Last time 2 bedder is around $550K-$700K, now, a 2 bedder cost close to 1 mil...
    Just rephrase it as
    a) 2500 sqf penthouse on 1 floor.
    b) 2500 sqf penthouse on 2 floors.

Obviously should go for 2 floors as living room would have high ceilings and it's special, floors within floors. Double deck.

However, if it is a small penthouse of 1000 sqf, obviously a single floor would be better.

Beware the 3 level penthouses...lots of wasted space.

Key criteria for any penthouse. Views and spacious living room.

Default very hot

99 yrs no thanks. Will the penthouse b hot during e day?
    i stay penthouse before. very very hot because the sun bakes the top floor the whole day.

so now i buy highest is 2nd highest floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tericia
    i stay penthouse before. very very hot because the sun bakes the top floor the whole day.

so now i buy highest is 2nd highest floor.
    no water tank on top?

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    I have some experience, so here are my 2 cents:

- most 'PHs' are actually duplexes or maisonette - else top unit in HDBs are penthouses already. So despite what developers call it, a 2 storey 1000 sq ft duplex is NOT a penthouse unless you dun mind the tag 'shoebox penthouse'

- always look for roof terrace that is not too big (if the PES is more than 25-30% of total sq ft then it's not really a good buy IMO) so less unblocked surface that gets heated up

- heat-wise, it does not mean if PH level is high it's cooler - it depends, apart from west sun facing (try to avoid please), on the attic architecture. Look for those with roofs that are slanted at an angle - a well designed tall attic helps to insulate against the heat. Whereas those modern flat designs with a low attic (or none) will roast you alive in summer. The same goes for landed housing, which is why the older type housings are cool even during sunny days.

- a main attraction of PHs is the living room loft due to the 2 storeys, so make sure there is one. Else unless one sees the stairway, you couldn't tell it is a PH. The loft makes the living room spacious and comfy and a star selling point if properly designed.

- if roof terrace is big, try to reduce heat absorption with plants and shades - try to get corner units if possible that has the most unblocked view (they have 270 degrees view as compared to the rest)

- low and high-rise PHs are all matter of preference - the most important thing is you won't hear stomping noises from your upstairs neighbour

valuable points raised.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Just rephrase it as
    a) 2500 sqf penthouse on 1 floor.
    b) 2500 sqf penthouse on 2 floors.

Obviously should go for 2 floors as living room would have high ceilings and it's special, floors within floors. Double deck.

However, if it is a small penthouse of 1000 sqf, obviously a single floor would be better.

Beware the 3 level penthouses...lots of wasted space.

Key criteria for any penthouse. Views and spacious living room.
    Oh really, but I will choose the 1000sf penthouse over the 1000sf single floor if same price..maybe because there are only me and hubby in the family. But if it is a 500sf PH vs 500sf single floor i will choose single floor though...

I was giving an example. It's relative. What's too small can be too big to others too. Vice versa. As long as u like it, it will be fine.

Sorry, I dun get what you mean actually. If it is different development but within the same district, then you need to compare many other things rather than just single level vs penthouse.

At the end of day, it is the psf that counts. Penthouse psf should be lower than single level units. But the overall quantum (absolute dollars) is higher for penthouses because of the larger size.

Just a guideline for calculating penthouse value: Lower storey built in area psf should be comparable to any other single level units in the same area. Only the open terrace areas is half the psf.

So if you have a 2000 sqft penthouse of which 1000 sqft is covered and 1000 sqft is open terrace. And the nearby single level units are selling for say $1200 psf, that means you should be paying $1200psf x 1000 sqft + $600psf x 1000 sqft = $1.8M for that penthouse. In other words, the penthouse psf is $900 psf being $1.8M / 2000 sqft.

This is only true if it is the tallest development around there. Otherwise, no privacy. Now we have lots of penthouses for low-rise amongst the tall development.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    This is only true if it is the tallest development around there. Otherwise, no privacy. Now we have lots of penthouses for low-rise amongst the tall development.
    Penthouse surrounded by landed is the best. Feels like living among landed properties

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix

hi how does a slanted roof reduce the heat...

Quote Originally Posted by dnomyarw
    hi how does a slanted roof reduce the heat...
    High attic space with good insulation for the roof construction helps. Pitched roof or sloping roof will be easier to create this large volume space. Hot air rises to the top of the attic and with good passive design to remove this hot air from the space.