Thread: Condo and Apartment choice for first timer

Default Condo and Apartment choice for first timer

Hi,

May I know is there any major difference in price between a Condo and an Apartment? I saw what the agent classified as a "Condo". It had a big swimming pool, a squash court and gym in it. Another much newer apartment was classified as "Apartment" probably also because it has only 60 units in total. It has a small swimming pool, the lift serves each floor and it has a small gym. What's the difference?? and do sellers have any right to claim that condos are worth so much more than apartments? Especially if both apartments/condos are in the same neighbourhood? Which purchase is a wiser choice if given that the condo is just about 100psf higher than the apartment? I know if both are the same price, sure should buy condo according to the agent.

are they differentiated by size of devt, hence no. of units, and no. of facilities n amenities?

for me it can be hard to choose.. exclusitvity vs usage of full facilities.. hmm..

The diff is by and large technical. In general aptment should have less facilities and landscaping.

However this should not be your primary factor for the consideration. There are plenty of condos with 60 plus units.

Orchard Residences is apartment. It's no less expensive than the condos in the vicinity.

URA's differentiation of condo and flats: Condos must have plot area >0.4ha (4000sqm). That's the official definition period, nothing more, nothing less.

Personally, there's a lot of factors that affects prices more than whether is a flat or condo such as design, facilities (condo usually have more, both flats can have nice facilities too) and most importantly location. Whether it's a flat or condo doesn't affect my choice

For investment property, would assume that condo easier to rent?

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    URA's differentiation of condo and flats: Condos must have plot area >0.4ha (4000sqm). That's the official definition period, nothing more, nothing
    The scala is almost 150,000 sqft but is apt status leh. More to it than jus area i think.

Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    The scala is almost 150,000 sqft but is apt status leh. More to it than jus area i think.
    There's probably a mistake there, no other agency defines flats and condos other than URA.

URA guidelines in the link below for flats and condominiums

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e4.htm

Read them if you're interested

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

No, much more than that. In fact, we can sum up that all criteria are to achieve "better liveability". eg, set back of the building from road, amount of land buffer for land scaping from estate boundary to building, crampness etc. Thus, "condo" status is much important than most people think & realize. Never never buy an "apt" at same $PSF as " condo" in same vicinity!

URA's differentiation of condo and flats: Condos must have plot area >0.4ha (4000sqm). That's the official definition period, nothing more, nothing less.

Personally, there's a lot of factors that affects prices more than whether is a flat or condo such as design, facilities (condo usually have more, both flats can have nice facilities too) and most importantly location. Whether it's a flat or condo doesn't affect my choice

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    No, much more than that. In fact, we can sum up that all criteria are to achieve "better liveability". eg, set back of the building from road, amount of land buffer for land scaping from estate boundary to building, crampness etc. Thus, "condo" status is much important than most people think & realize. Never never buy an "apt" at same $PSF as " condo" in same vicinity!
    Yes, there are different setback requirements between flats and condos, etc. and hence your point about "better liveability" If you're interested, read the link to URA's website. Not exactly interesting reading material, but it's all there.

But, the bottom line is still the plot size that determines flat or condo status.

Size of land is not the main criteria. Scala is "apt" because it fails the "better livability" criteria defined for "condo" status by URA. Rivergate is another "apt" with same problem.

There's probably a mistake there, no other agency defines flats and condos other than URA.

URA guidelines in the link below for flats and condominiums

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e4.htm

Read them if you're interested

Size of land is not the main criteria. Scala is "apt" because it fails the "better livability" criteria defined for "condo" status by URA. Rivergate is another "apt" with same problem.
    As far as I know, URA is the only planning agency in Singapore and they are the ones who defines the classification.

I'm not sure who classified Scala or Rivergate as "apt". I looked through the websites and they have been described at "condos".

As far as I know, URA is the only planning agency in Singapore and they are the ones who defines the classification.

I'm not sure who classified Scala or Rivergate as "apt". I looked through the websites and they have been described at "condos".
    Don't look at sales literature. URA website will show status. Look under caveats lodged.

Answer: URA.

No developer will tell their buyers outright that they are selling an "apt" because it failed the "condo" status (and hence failed "better liveability" criteria) laid down by URA.

"Condos" is universal term that they can quote until you ask them "Is it "Condo" status according to URA?" and their tongue will get stuck in their mouth because they can't reply you in black and white that it is indeed "Condo" status according to URA (since this is NOT TRUE!).

Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    Don't look at sales literature. URA website will show status. Look under caveats lodged.
    Interesting!

But doesn't make sense There are condos with less facilities and space than scala and rivergate.....

Extracted from

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e104.htm

(c) HOUSING TYPE

They may be:
    i) Detached houses (bungalows), semi-detached houses, terrace houses, strata detached houses (strata bungalows), strata semi-detached houses, strata terrace houses and mixed strata landed housing. They are low density housing.
    ii) Condominium flats development on sites of 0.4 ha or larger.
    iii) Non-condominium flats development on small sites below 0.4 ha.

2 Flats development whether condominium or not, are mainly medium and high density housing. The low intensity and low-rise flats are low density housing

Can't get clearer than this...

Maybe there's a mistake in rivergate and scala in URA's caveat lodged

No mistake. I had already said >40k sqft is just 1 of the many criteria. They just failed the other criteria.

Extracted from

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e104.htm

(c) HOUSING TYPE

They may be:
    i) Detached houses (bungalows), semi-detached houses, terrace houses, strata detached houses (strata bungalows), strata semi-detached houses, strata terrace houses and mixed strata landed housing. They are low density housing.
    ii) Condominium flats development on sites of 0.4 ha or larger.
    iii) Non-condominium flats development on small sites below 0.4 ha.

2 Flats development whether condominium or not, are mainly medium and high density housing. The low intensity and low-rise flats are low density housing

Can't get clearer than this...

Maybe there's a mistake in rivergate and scala in URA's caveat lodged

So it means alot of layman kenna cheated becos many apartments are charging condo prices!

Quote Originally Posted by ocoloco79
    So it means alot of layman kenna cheated becos many apartments are charging condo prices!
    Think to layman, as long have a pool, gym and clubhouse/function room, can be consider condo..., doubt many would care about URA classification. If they are being informed of this b4 buying.., think they would still buy anyway. Think Scala buyers still buy even if they know..., also agent will have hard time trying to explain why URA classification is a such...

Why should agent explain that they are selling "apt" and not "condo" because developers want to maximize sellable space and hence fail URA "better liveability" criteria in their design?

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Think to layman, as long have a pool, gym and clubhouse/function room, can be consider condo..., doubt many would care about URA classification. If they are being informed of this b4 buying.., think they would still buy anyway. Think Scala buyers still buy even if they know..., also agent will have hard time trying to explain why URA classification is a such...

Why should agent explain that they are selling "apt" and not "condo" because developers want to maximize sellable space and hence fail URA "better liveability" criteria in their design?
    Ya, yet 2 see a noble agent here.

Thanks for the reply. I got another question here and hope to see some advice. I have a very small budget looking for 2 bedroom freehold preferably and within 700m from MRT. I shortlisted areas like punggol area, pasir ris and changi area, woodlands area, choa chu kang area and yishun area cos these areas property are cheaper compared to the rest. Think prices about the same among my choice, please advice if which area has better potential to grow? What price should I expect to pay for psf? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Montaigne
    Thanks for the reply. I got another question here and hope to see some advice. I have a very small budget looking for 2 bedroom freehold preferably and within 700m from MRT. I shortlisted areas like punggol area, pasir ris and changi area, woodlands area, choa chu kang area and yishun area cos these areas property are cheaper compared to the rest. Think prices about the same among my choice, please advice if which area has better potential to grow? What price should I expect to pay for psf? Thank you.
    woodlands and yishun have good potential for growth but few freehold condos...mostly are the 99 years LH close to MRT. The price in these 2 areas can be anywhere from 500+ to 800+psf (if you consider estuary sub-sales are asking more than 1K psf)

It will has to be Sembawang for FH but maynot be within 700m from MRT.

CCK will be better for upside potential but the problem is this area only have LH. Alot of projects are being developed in this area now. read up FEO Tennary.

Quote Originally Posted by Montaigne