Thread: COV for HDB resale flats slides further to S$22,000

Default COV for HDB resale flats slides further to S$22,000

COV for HDB resale flats slides further to S$22,000
    By Joanne Chan | Posted: 06 December 2010 1803 hrs

SINGAPORE : The cash premium that home buyers have to pay upfront for HDB resale flats has continued to slide in November, said National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan.

In an exclusive interview with Channel NewsAsia, Mr Mah said the median cash-over-valuation (COV) was S$22,000 last month, down S$3,000 from October.

This is the second straight month that COV has come down, a further sign that the property cooling measures introduced in August have taken effect.

Among the measures introduced include barring home buyers from owning both an HDB flat and a private home within the Minimum Occupation Period.

COV hit a high of S$30,000 for two straight quarters this year, sparking concerns that first-time home buyers might be priced out of the resale market.

Mr Mah said he recognised that home buyers feel a "sense of anxiety" when they see prices rising but noted that prices appear to be on a downward trend.

"Now you are seeing that resale prices and COV are not only stabilising, but are starting to come down. So I think there's really no need to rush. If you can afford to wait, you buy a BTO (Build-To-Order) flat which is cheaper. If you cannot afford to wait, or you want a particular location where a BTO flat is not available, go for the resale market," said Mr Mah.

When asked if the government plans to introduce more cooling measures, Mr Mah said there's no need for further action now.

He added that he will take further steps only if necessary.

Mr Mah said the number of resale transactions has also fallen by some 30 per cent in the fourth quarter, compared to the third quarter.

Mr Mah noted that the full impact of the cooling measures will only be felt in another one to two months.

Property firms said they are also seeing COV and transaction numbers falling.

Dennis Wee Group (DWG) saw a 7 per cent drop in sales numbers in November compared to October.

DWG Director Chris Koh said homes in non-central regions such as Jurong and Sembawang were affected first.

COV for larger flats dropped S$5,000 to S$25,000, while COV for 4-room and smaller flats dropped from S$25,000 to S$20,000.

But Koh said that prices in the central region are still holding.

And one firm expects the cash premium to drop to S$20,000 by December.

"Things usually slow down because of Christmas, New Year, school holidays, when people are overseas. So going by trend, at the end of the year, things usually slow down. And with the measures in place and new flats coming up, we should see demand ease off a little," said Koh.

On the supply side, Mr Mah said there are no plans to reduce the number of new flats being released, and 22,000 units will be offered next year.

Demand for new flats appeared to have cooled for the last few launches, with 2 to 3 applications received for each available unit. This is in sharp contrast to earlier this year, when projects were more than 6 times oversubscribed.

While prices appear to have stabilised, Minister Mah acknowledged that housing matters will be a key issue at the next General Election.

"It's always been an issue at every election as far as I can remember. But this time round, it would probably be more than an issue," said Mr Mah.

Mr Mah, who's been a Tampines GRC MP for 22 years, said he welcomes a contest from opposition parties.

National Solidarity Party's Goh Meng Seng has said he plans to contest in Tampines.

- CNA /ls
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

he gave warning liao.. another 1 to 2 months... (Jan/Feb 2011)

Mr Mah noted that the full impact of the cooling measures will only be felt in another one to two months.

gd news

Plunge!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    gd news
    why good news?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    why good news?
    happy news wat...15k cov will be healthier....all happy....no nid more cooling measures....drop more!

happy news wat...15k cov will be healthier....all happy....no nid more cooling measures....drop more!
    do u guys think COV drop any effect ?

thot we read that All in price hasnt changed ..

MBT should look at ALL in as well and not just COV

no point go shopping at a place where they give 25 pct discount ... but add 25 pct to the base price first right ?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    do u guys think COV drop any effect ?

thot we read that All in price hasnt changed ..

MBT should look at ALL in as well and not just COV

no point go shopping at a place where they give 25 pct discount ... but add 25 pct to the base price first right ?
    u wana see HDB prices actually drop meh? self induced correction? strange

MBT wana see gradual increase....in line with economic growth

u wana see HDB prices actually drop meh? self induced correction? strange

MBT wana see gradual increase....in line with economic growth
    really doesnt matter to me...just feel bad for those who needs a hdb now, but price kana forced up by the initial waves of PR buying..

i dun own HDB .. and non of my relatives own HDB as well so .. dont matter to me really

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    really doesnt matter to me...just feel bad for those who needs a hdb now, but price kana forced up by the initial waves of PR buying..

i dun own HDB .. and non of my relatives own HDB as well so .. dont matter to me really
    Yng couple still got bto option mah....trust me..mostly can afford one but they r choosy

Yng couple still got bto option mah....trust me..mostly can afford one but they r choosy
    bro ...

when i was at marrying age .. i had the same issue ..

i applied for brand new HDB ..for over 2 yrs and wasnt successful in the balloting.. then it went to the Queue system .. again i waited for 1 over year .. meanwhile I got married, and the new HDB prices kept going up ..

for those getting married and planning to have kids ..BTO is not the solution

in the end i bought condo instead ..

i can feel how those young couples feel .. those who need a place to start a family ..

My humble guess, cov zero to 10k by 2nd quarter 2011. It makes better sense to start with condo or resale hdb in the past. Now not so clear as more condo and hdbs coming onboard. More supply would mean all drop. Hold on tight.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    My humble guess, cov zero to 10k by 2nd quarter 2011. It makes better sense to start with condo or resale hdb in the past. Now not so clear as more condo and hdbs coming onboard. More supply would mean all drop. Hold on tight.
    What do you guys think of the impact cast on private properties since HDBs have been deemed as the base? Soften in line with HDB prices?

Simple analysis, yes.
    Complex analysis, no.
    Why? Rules changed. Hdb huge discount buys.... So many 1.99 goodies.... You still have rolex and ferrari buyers right? Study shopper profile, at ion orchard and jurong point. More or less you will get it.

so you are actually waiting for the nett selling price to drop further? I think it will come true ..... since there are new flats and more ECs coming up, another 5% drop from current price level is not impossible by 2Q next year. Let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong

Well, condo price to drop in tandem? Not really unless there is really no real demand from HDB up-graders, meaning the door still shut from the foreigners.

We should embrace foreigners as they don’t mind buying LH apartment more than 15 years and far away from amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    so you are actually waiting for the nett selling price to drop further? I think it will come true ..... since there are new flats and more ECs coming up, another 5% drop from current price level is not impossible by 2Q next year. Let's see.
    slight price correction possible as u guys said valuation is lagging 3mths behind....but after tat shd grow gradually again....

Without the dragon head, it is now a snake liaw...
    Hurrah to those still holding HDB!

Yup, rumours are much feared than the actual news. 2nd and 3rd quater 2010; as previously, all wondering what else the govt would do.

Now with the land supply measures and news that nothing more is expected. The worst is over. It will flat out before rising again... but this time, slower. 1st / 2nd Quarter 2011, flat.. then 3rd and 4th Quarter 2011 rising slooowly if not remain as flat line...... 5% per year is reasonable rate.