Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today Rain Alot. How will Consistent Flooding Affect Singapore Property Prices ???

Default Today Rain Alot. How will Consistent Flooding Affect Singapore Property Prices ???

Today rain alot, my friends told me the usual places like Tanjong Pagar, Bukit Timah and Orchard flood again.

Even though there are news blackouts on floods, people still post evidences on Youtube.

I think after the big hoo-ha over Orchard floods, flood news have become top secret now.

How will constant flooding affect property prices in flood areas .e.g Tessarina Condominium and Liat Towers where manual solutions like sandbags are use.

When sandbags are use, it speaks of the seriousness of the floods.

I think all flooding news are now blacked out. It's scary the state propaganda. But I believe Bukit Timah, East Coast, Thomson and the usual areas will be flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I think all flooding news are now blacked out. It's scary the state propaganda. But I believe Bukit Timah, East Coast, Thomson and the usual areas will be flooded.
    Channelnewsasia or Mediacorp should be more upfront with TV viwers like us!

Remember the Police will arrest those reporters who "risk" their lives by covering and reporting the flooding.
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

Quote Originally Posted by sleek
    Remember the Police will arrest those reporters who "risk" their lives by covering and reporting the flooding.
    Not arrest lah.

Handcuff 1 hour only.

Quote Originally Posted by merlion
    Channelnewsasia or Mediacorp should be more upfront with TV viwers like us!
    If we do not know the identity of properties that got constant flooding, we will be cheated to buy the wrong properties.

Agents will not tell us right ???

Go to the development of your choice the day after flooding. There should be water mark on the walls.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Passed by Orchard this afternoon. No flood. Which part of Orchard flood?

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    Today rain alot, my friends told me the usual places like Tanjong Pagar, Bukit Timah and Orchard flood again.

Even though there are news blackouts on floods, people still post evidences on Youtube.

I think after the big hoo-ha over Orchard floods, flood news have become top secret now.

How will constant flooding affect property prices in flood areas .e.g Tessarina Condominium and Liat Towers where manual solutions like sandbags are use.

When sandbags are use, it speaks of the seriousness of the floods.

I recall there was this iphone app called itraffic or something that reports all the flood areas. Very useful for drivers as we can avoid those areas. But now it appears all the flooding news have been completely blacked out. If PUB and other agencies black out the flood areas completely, then how do people know where to avoid right? From stomp, I could see quite a few areas are flooded today but nothing was reported in the maintstream news. Even PUB did not send out any warnings.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Can provide links? Can't find any regarding today's flooding at STOMP. Only seen those occurred in June & Mar 2010 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I recall there was this iphone app called itraffic or something that reports all the flood areas. Very useful for drivers as we can avoid those areas. But now it appears all the flooding news have been completely blacked out. If PUB and other agencies black out the flood areas completely, then how do people know where to avoid right? From stomp, I could see quite a few areas are flooded today but nothing was reported in the maintstream news. Even PUB did not send out any warnings.

Hilltop projects like Peak at Balmeg will prove to be more popular...

Default Climate Change

I've just read last week's The Econmist cover story. It says climate change will result into: raining places with more rain, and dry places become dersert.
    So Singapore has to plan ahead to avoid flooding. Maybe we should introduce some new technology to allow each building to collect and process rainfalls.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    More rain also means soil erosion and landslides. Avoid properties just beside hilly areas, those with underground carpark near commonly flooded areas and those just beside the drains/beaches.

The drains and walkways have to be re-designed with perforations to allow natural seepage into the ground instead of allowing the water to flow elsewhere on the surface.

still cannot go anywhere if roads at the bottom are flooded.
    but better than the condo carpark flooded right?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Can provide links? Can't find any regarding today's flooding at STOMP. Only seen those occurred in June & Mar 2010 etc.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3007359

Go sammyboy.com for October Floodings (must search yourself).

Elections or monsoon season coming ??

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...095766/1/.html

PUB steps up efforts to prevent flooding
    By Wayne Chan | Posted: 26 November 2010 2133 hrs

SINGAPORE: With heavy rain expected during the year end Northeast Monsoon season, PUB is stepping up efforts to improve drainage and prevent flooding.

17 canal sensors, which help to monitor the drainage system, has been installed islandwide by the PUB, bringing the total to 49.

That is almost half the targeted number of 90 sensors that the PUB wants installed by the end of the year.

A drain inspection camera, called "elook", is one of the new devices PUB is using to speed up inspection of about 7000 kilometres of drainage in Singapore.

It can be immersed into water 10 metres deep and offers a view of up to 60 metres.

It also reduces drain inspection time by about half an hour. Usually, half an hour is needed for a safety officer to check if a drain is safe to work in. Drains that have an oxygen level of less than 19 per cent are deemed unsafe.

It is especially useful for drains like these which are too small for a man to enter. Video images can also be recorded on the devices for further analysis by PUB.

PUB is using four of these S$20,000 devices, and is encouraging its contractors to use them. This is after a pilot phase for the devices began in September and ended in October.

PUB is also speeding up drainage improvement works in 10 places from Bedok to Bukit Timah.

One of these works is at the flood prone Lorong L Telok Kurau, where a 900 metre long drain has been widened by more than 20 per cent to ease flooding.

Previously left open, the drain is also now covered and new streetlamps have also been installed to make this new walkway safe at night.

Some residents appreciate the move, like 65-year-old Mdm Chew Swee Eng.

"It makes the place tidier and cleaner. There are also fewer mosquitoes. Before it was dirtier especially when leaves fell in or when people threw rubbish in after eating."

But others like pet shop owner Wendy Chong, who has experienced two flooding incidents this year, thinks more needs to be done

"I realise the land, the road was not level. It is sloping down. So when the car drives along , it causes the water to flush into our unit...maybe the land authority can raise up the road...it'll help."

In preparation for the year end rainy season, the PUB has distributed 200 flood advisories to residents and shop owners in severely flood-prone areas.

Some of these areas include Lorong Buangkok, Jalan Seaview, Meyer Road, Lorong 101 to Lorong 106 Changi and Everitt Road North.

The advisory, distributed in early November, dispenses tips on the precautions that residents and shop owners could take to protect their belongings and properties in the event of flash floods.

-CNA/ac

Lots of rain this month.

Important numbers to take note:

Hotlines
    6542-7788

NEA’s weather forecast hotline
    1800-284-6600

PUB’s 24-hour Call

Flood Management in Singapore - brochure by PUB

http://www.pub.gov.sg/Documents/FloodMgmt_sg.pdf

my relatives house in Malaysia Segamat flooded... bad new year for them. This has happened 4 years ago and now it repeats again. The whole family cannot go home and have to stay in one of their friends house. Theirs is a 2sty terrace house.

Suddenly price drop at least 50% overnight........:-(

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    my relatives house in Malaysia Segamat flooded... bad new year for them. This has happened 4 years ago and now it repeats again. The whole family cannot go home and have to stay in one of their friends house. Theirs is a 2sty terrace house.

Suddenly price drop at least 50% overnight........:-(
    Sori to hear that, we count ourselves lucky. Quite headache for your relatives, after water subside, still need to go home to clear the mess, and the mud. Hope things will be ok for them in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Sori to hear that, we count ourselves lucky. Quite headache for your relatives, after water subside, still need to go home to clear the mess, and the mud. Hope things will be ok for them in the new year.
    Better to relocate else where to high land areas. I think this 2nd flood which was assumed to be once in 100 years (now once in 4 years) really costs them dearly. Sad for them.

I heard over that area, one mini market went bankrupt because of the flood.

HEAVY RAIN WARNING

Issued On: 20 March 2011 - 13:37 LT

Moderate to heavy thundery showers with gusty wind are expected over many areas of Singapore between 2:00pm and 4:00pm. PUB says flash floods may occur in low-lying areas in the event of heavy rain.

HEAVY RAIN WARNING

Issued On: 20 March 2011 - 13:37 LT

Moderate to heavy thundery showers with gusty wind are expected over many areas of Singapore between 2:00pm and 4:00pm. PUB says flash floods may occur in low-lying areas in the event of heavy rain.
    Yes...ultra big rain along CTE near PIE exit just now....can only see the car infront...

u go and visit show house again ?

No lah, went to eat my beloved tai hwa bak chor mee haa haa haa...

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Yes...ultra big rain along CTE near PIE exit just now....can only see the car infront...
    i aso kena....certain parts of CTE slightly flooded....

btw, tat sembawang white bee hoon is great!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    i aso kena....certain parts of CTE slightly flooded....

btw, tat sembawang white bee hoon is great!
    buy canberra residences can walk and eat there every day

oops repost

Yummy white bee hoon...

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Yummy white bee hoon...
    why do this when i've just finished a crap dinner