Thread: Geylang River gets makeover

Default Geylang River gets makeover

Geylang River gets makeover
    By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 12 November 2010 1313 hrs

An artist's impression of the Geylang River after its "makeover" (photo: PUB).

SINGAPORE: National water agency PUB is investing S$37.8 million to make improvements to the Geylang River under the Active, Beautiful, Clean (ABC) Waters programme.

PUB said this would benefit residents in the Dunman Road and Guillemard Road areas.

The river would feature architectural and landscaping designs, in line with the theme of "delighting in simple pleasures".

PUB said the design elements would be reflective of the area's heritage, such as a Songket-inspired paving design, and shelters and trellis spotting an interpretative style of stilts-and-posts, along the river bank.

Besides incorporating ABC Waters features along the 830-metre stretch from Dunman Road to Guillemard Road, the project also includes a widening of the stretch of river as part of drainage improvement.

Another key feature of the project is a rain garden to demonstrate the connection among water, nature and people.

The works would be carried out by Koh Brothers Building & Civil Engineering Contractor, who was awarded the contract.

It's scheduled to be completed by May 2013.

-CNA/wk
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

why would a longkang be so attractive for residents?

of course make longkang nice nice, then sell land (ex army camp) high high lah....

At least we (waterbank owner) can have nicer longkang smell..

I like the theme... Machiam back to geylang serai in the 60s malay fishing village style.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonyap
    At least we (waterbank owner) can have nicer longkang smell..
    hopefully once the longkang is cleaned then they will put some fishes there. So we can bring a chair and do fishing ...

Better still if they build a "rialto" bridge. then look like little venice..

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    hopefully once the longkang is cleaned then they will put some fishes there. So we can bring a chair and do fishing ...

Better still if they build a "rialto" bridge. then look like little venice..
    Actually.. the longkang have fishes already..
    A LOT OF THEM.. I think it's from the SEA?
    Anyway, that's what i heard from the door-lock man who used to stay in Dakota Crescent but HDB was enbloc to make way for the condos.

And I can confirmed that the longkang have no smell so far.. i've been living there for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Anyway, that's what i heard from the door-lock man who used to stay in Dakota Crescent but HDB was enbloc to make way for the condos.

And I can confirmed that the longkang have no smell so far.. i've been living there for a month.
    come again.... you've been living where? the longkang?

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    come again.... you've been living where? the longkang?
    Haha..U Got me there !

more places for china mei meis to be found drowned floating face up

Quote Originally Posted by focus

No more sea... Remember the Marina Barrage? It's becoming a freshwater reservoir.... We are going to be drinking water from the longkang!!!

Better than newater though...

Its all about becoming fully self sufficient. Kena scared bigtime by neighbour or held ransom by potential water crisis. Therefore going forward we shall all drink what we produce from our bodies. Complete the cycle.