Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which extreme should i go?

Default Which extreme should i go?

Which extreme should i go?

1) Downgrade in location, upgrade in size - but stay within the mid-end market (scove, bt timah) zero change in liquid net worth, but some (though limited) cap gains

2) Downgrade to HDB maisonette, renovate w couple of hundred grand to make it livable. Can retire for life, but confirm lose $$ on paper although just a couple of hundred k at most?

I won't consider mass market, not at these prices.
    Last edited by gfoo; 11-11-10 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo

1) Downgrade in location, upgrade in size - but stay within the mid-end market (scove, bt timah) zero change in liquid net worth, but some (though limited) cap gains

2) Downgrade to HDB maisonette. Can retire for life, but confirm lose $$ on paper although just a couple of hundred k at most?

I won't consider mass market, not at these prices.
    extreme is to sell all and buy a old 3 room flat in town to retire. Better if near hospital or old folks home.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    extreme is to sell all and buy a old 3 room flat in town to retire. Better if near hospital or old folks home.
    Please, i'm not THAT old (early 30s).... and looking for a 1500sqft and above location, definitely not a 3 room flat in town.

Depends on which stage of life. Close to retirement may downsize and stay near mrt stn. Easy to manage and cannot drive anymore due to poor response.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984

Please, i'm not THAT old (early 30s).... and looking for a 1500sqft and above location, definitely not a 3 room flat in town.
    ok

1. same budget, go for fh versus lh

2. same sized, for for lower psf

3. same location (district), go for nearer to MRT

4. same stack, go for higher floor

5. same orientation, go for no west sun

6. same facilities, go for bigger swimming pool

7. LOOK FOR FUTURE GROWTH POTENTIAL.

Try to unlock some cash for rainy days.

to me property in central area is only for speculation and never meant for self stay. unless you are those sort that like to show off, then any property in singapore is easy reach and nice. the extra money u spent it on other investment or for retirement la.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph85
    to me property in central area is only for speculation and never meant for self stay. unless you are those sort that like to show off, then any property in singapore is easy reach and nice. the extra money u spent it on other investment or for retirement la.
    it's a very different lifestyle and yes, a bit atas.

i do not agree that all parts of singapore are nice. there are still very bad parts no one should touch with a bargepole

Do you mean CBD area? Central is rather large these days.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Central area so big, everywhere in D9, D10, and D11? Like that anybody who lives in D9, D10, D11 is wanting to show off and/or speculating only?
    9 out of 10 Ministers probably live in D9-D11, all want to show off and/or speculate with no intention for self-stay?
    Don't know what to reply to these types of senseless, baseless, brainless comments.
    Really any property in singapore is easy reach and nice? Bukit Panjang got 6 people got hacked for nothing, Downtown East got a nice young man got hacked to death for nothing, Kallang got 2 people hacked to death and 1 with fingers hacked off for nothing (.................................)

Last edited by teddybear; 11-11-10 at 12:49.

Go for MM's here... very good for self stay.

(duplicated)

1) Downgrade in location, upgrade in size - but stay within the mid-end market (scove, bt timah)
    I will definitely do 2). make sure it's the better part of bt timah. some are very quiet and peaceful, yet easily accessible, and not crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Central area so big, everywhere in D9, D10, and D11? Like that anybody who lives in D9, D10, D11 is wanting to show off and/or speculating only?
    9 out of 10 Ministers probably live in D9-D11, all want to show off and/or speculate with no intention for self-stay?
    Don't know what to reply to these types of senseless, baseless, brainless comments.
    Really any property in singapore is easy reach and nice? Bukit Panjang got 6 people got hacked for nothing, Downtown East got a nice young man got hacked to death for nothing, Kallang got 2 people hacked to death and 1 with fingers hacked off for nothing (.................................)
    nice young man? more likely a gangster himself. haha!

but I do agree that some parts of singapore are not so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    nice young man? more likely a gangster himself. haha!

but I do agree that some parts of singapore are not so nice.
    i think its an open secret that most gang members are if a certain race today, even if its a chinese sounding gang. thus moving into an area chock full of them is a no-no.

amk is rite, if i do decide to move, prob will be bt timah

now at crossroads, decisions decisions ..... sigh having a kid really throws the spanner into e works

EM nice leh....cheap and good(save some money to add more GOLD...hehe)....goto slowly search for it...not easy to find one tat u like as its rare....dun hf to spend couple of hundred k...gold taps meh? hehe...100k will do rite? money not tat small yet lah

i think its an open secret that most gang members are if a certain race today, even if its a chinese sounding gang. thus moving into an area chock full of them is a no-no.

now at crossroads, decisions decisions ..... sigh having a kid really throws the spanner into e works
    people say low income = gangsterism. to some extent, it is true. thus, condos are better than HDB, and CBD is better than ulu.

people say low income = gangsterism. to some extent, it is true. thus, condos are better than HDB, and CBD is better than ulu.
    true. but there are some hdb enclaves that have been priced out of their segment so those will be the ones i might consider. but liddat might also have to downgrade car else will be damn weird siah.

true. but there are some hdb enclaves that have been priced out of their segment so those will be the ones i might consider. but liddat might also have to downgrade car else will be damn weird siah.
    E class or 5series still ok

yeah, lots of 5 series, e class and estimas in HDB carpark. Unless yours is a Z4, SLK or something.

Option 1 sounds good.

btw I just noticed I typed wrongly, should be 1) and go bt timah.

yea gfoo now u realize the complication of having a kid

the nicer part of bt timah is not only central, quiet, not crowded, and is also within 1km to some gd schools too.

nice place to live; not so sure abt upside though.

Extreme : Sell everything... Go China ! Live Like a King !

Quote Originally Posted by smallant
    Extreme : Sell everything... Go China ! Live Like a King !
    China more expensive leh...live like a pauper maybe. Should go malaysia or thailand or even indonesia.

But I agree, what he suggested are not extremes (still live in Bukit timah? HDB masionette? How can those be extremes?)

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    China more expensive leh...live like a pauper maybe. Should go malaysia or thailand or even indonesia.

But I agree, what he suggested are not extremes (still live in Bukit timah? HDB masionette? How can those be extremes?)
    Extremes would be living in a good class bungalow at Nassim road and living under a flyover at Woodlands.

Extremes would be living in a good class bungalow at Nassim road and living under a flyover at Woodlands.
    harlow i'm not as rich as many of you - to me that's a difference between $3m and $700k - over $2m cash in hand or cash outlay leh. so to me, those are extremes lor.

if i can reach GCB nassim status i happy liao.

harlow i'm not as rich as many of you - to me that's a difference between $3m and $700k - over $2m cash in hand or cash outlay leh. so to me, those are extremes lor.

if i can reach GCB nassim status i happy liao.
    consider ppty nearer to upp bukit timah? sterling is a nice project with spacious layout...nice good sized yard+maid room and cost less den 2mil for a 3bedder now....however, no balcony if u fancy one...

balcony is likely to be a wasted space when you have young children. cos that area is dangerous, you'd probably enclose the living room with grills cos you can't grill up the balcony. Once you do that, very naturally, your utilisation for the balcony drops.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    consider ppty nearer to upp bukit timah? sterling is a nice project with spacious layout...nice good sized yard+maid room and cost less den 2mil for a 3bedder now....however, no balcony if u fancy one...
    some units have balcony;

but this end is not a very nice part of Bt Timah. Very crowded. jam in dunrean/bt timah road everyday. Should try the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    need a 4 bedder lah, 3 bedder i might as well stay put.

that area ain't too nice, the bukit timah i am thinking of will have to be within 1km of scgs.

The Trevose or Trevose Park may suit you. It is less than 400m from SCGS.

that area ain't too nice, the bukit timah i am thinking of will have to be within 1km of scgs.

Trevose, trevose park, equatorial, capri, element, anything in Balmoral, Ewe Boon Road.

Been there, stayed there, sold it off and now at the other end of bt timah (or soon to be).