Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A perfect spring for property investments

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default A perfect spring for property investments

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...08733,00.html?

Published October 16, 2010

From the desk of

A perfect spring for property investments

In the near future, many people will look back and regret that they did not take any action to benefit from it

Callie Liew
    Founder and executive chairperson
    HSR Property Group

THE property market goes through a constant cycle; the prices go up, plunge a little and fall back into place. This cycle waits for no one and investors do not halt on property purchases despite the constant flux.

At any point in the economic and property cycles - whether in good times or bad - there will always be good buys. There will be people who capitalise on them to maximise their returns. In particular, during times of major changes and uncertainty, there are actually better opportunities for investment. There are also fewer people to compete with to capitalise on these property gems.

When times seem bad, people often perceive things to be worse than they really are. People tend to be overly focused on what can go wrong rather than on what can go right. Fear, like greed, can drive them to take extreme positions and blind them to reality.

At the higher levels of the fear cycle, there will be more gems surfacing in the property mine. Sellers who have taken a bearish view and are concerned about their financial exposure may decide to sell their properties for a good price.

The recent set of cooling measures is helping to produce such a conductive climate for investment. The doomsday prophets are out in force to strike further fear in the hearts of pessimistic sellers.

To put these measures in proper perspective, they are not designed to crash the market or devalue the assets of property owners. Bear in mind that if prices continue to increase unabated, they will lead to the formation of property bubbles - the bursting of which will have detrimental effects on the economy and society.

On the other hand, Singapore has one of the highest percentages of home ownership in the world, and if the prices stay flat or decrease for a protracted period of time, there will be a cascading effect at both macroeconomic and microeconomic levels. In the worst case scenario, should the property market slump, the authorities can withdraw some or all of the measures. There is a precedence of such a response in the past.

Fundamentally, the property market is well supported. To state the obvious, our land mass is limited and there are restrictions as to how much land we can reclaim from the sea. There is no major oversupply of properties unlike during the Asian crisis. In fact there are segments that are currently undersupplied and hence, the government is increasing sales of land, supply of HDB flats and executive condominiums, and throughput of build-to-order flats. The demand will generally be on the increase if we are to fulfil the planning parameter of increasing the population to 6.5 million. Although this is not a population target, there is a need to increase the number of people working in Singapore to help us sustain and improve the economic and societal engines.

As Singapore positions itself to be a global hub, we will be attracting more enterprises and talent to be rooted here. The financial standing of potential property owners should also improve with better economic development, educational system, and contributions from foreign talent.

On a macro level, the property market is also supported by positive economic growth, relatively low inflation and unemployment, and reasonable household affordability for property ownership. Major developers are generally in a better position to hold steady their selling prices or postpone the launch of their properties.

When negative sentiment clashes with sound fundamentals, it will give rise to opportunities for profit. Property investments will become more attractive because it is a tangible investment, proven to be a good hedge against inflation, and it provides one of the highest leveraged returns in the medium to long term.

Remember, everyone needs a roof over their head. It is a basic need compared to other instruments of investment.

For sellers, there is no better time to upgrade or downgrade your property than now. When you sell low, you can also buy low or possibly lower.

This is an opportune time to shop for good investments. You do not have to rush with the crowd and can take your time to find the right property that meets your requirements. You can be assured of closer attention and better service too.

Property investment is not just about market size but market share as well. It is not just about the market situation but also your ability to sieve out the property gems.

The key forces are converging into what I believe to be a perfect spring to invest in properties. In the near future, many people will look back and regret they did not take any action to benefit from it.

I love this article. Breath of fresh air. She knows what she is saying and she says it with conviction. Good job and good point of view.

Just motherhood statements about property can make money. Any new insights? None.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    I love this article. Breath of fresh air. She knows what she is saying and she says it with conviction. Good job and good point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Just motherhood statements about property can make money. Any new insights? None.
    Wow you know her so well? That she's a mother?

Ok ok jokes aside, obviously since she is heading property firm she will want people to buy or sell right? Else bo business liao...

I am not too sure if she does this writing up but she is able to put her points very clearly and with strength that’s why readers are impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    I am not too sure if she does this writing up but she is able to put her points very clearly and with strength that’s why readers are impressed.
    Exactly what I meant. Clear, succinct and power. That's why can be chairwoman.

Exactly what I meant. Clear, succinct and power. That's why can be chairwoman.
    My lady boss is also something like her. All her men scare of her if they dont know their jobs well or respect her for her insights. She ask very simple question and put on her smile. But she is quick in analyising figures. No one can bluff her with their sweet sweet tougue or cock and bull stories.

Wow you know her so well? That she's a mother?

Ok ok jokes aside, obviously since she is heading property firm she will want people to buy or sell right? Else bo business liao...
    Basically, she said if you are potential seller, just sell it and if you are potential buyer, just buy it. Just like NIKE, just do it. Otherwise she will have to beg on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia
    Basically, she said if you are potential seller, just sell it and if you are potential buyer, just buy it. Just like NIKE, just do it. Otherwise she will have to beg on the street.

the bull will read her article as a sign to buy ....

Some sense in what she says.....

but would you ask a barber if you need a haircut and expect any answer other than yes?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    My lady boss is also something like her. All her men scare of her if they dont know their jobs well or respect her for her insights. She ask very simple question and put on her smile. But she is quick in analyising figures. No one can bluff her with their sweet sweet tougue or cock and bull stories.
    I need a godma like those...

Quote Originally Posted by EBD

but would you ask a barber if you need a haircut and expect any answer other than yes?
    I beg to differ. I ever asked my dentist how often I should come for cleaning - is it once every 6 months. Guess what he said, no need la, your teeth quite clean - maybe your saliva got special cleaning agents - you just come once a year can liao. I was :-O

if u have curly hair, maybe u like to consider straighten
    if u have straight hair, maybe u like to consider perm
    if u like to change hairstyle every week, maybe u like to cut bald then buy wigs

No trade, no $$$

Those in property trades dread ppl who sit on the fence & talk their way through cycles without actions... at least this is what I observed..

Quote Originally Posted by patricia
    Ha ha yes!!

I beg to differ. I ever asked my dentist how often I should come for cleaning - is it once every 6 months. Guess what he said, no need la, your teeth quite clean - maybe your saliva got special cleaning agents - you just come once a year can liao. I was :-O
    Yr dentist being very courteous to u cos he dun wanna waste time serving the "clean" ones. He merely prefer "crooked" ones that fills his pocket

but I asked about a barber not dentist

Quote Originally Posted by scsc
    Yr dentist being very courteous to u cos he dun wanna waste time serving the "clean" ones. He merely prefer "crooked" ones that fills his pocket
    GOOD POINT!

Default Conflict of interest...

Although there are valid points in the article, it cannot be denied that a clear conflict of interest exist. As such, i think it is prudent we remember this when reading her article and not make decisions hastily.

Precisely! Afterall that has been said and done... bottom line this aunty is still a property agent, and property agents have to sell their property koyok... it's their livelihood, for goodness sake!

Have you seen a fishmonger who says his fish is not fresh?

I maintain my stand... sell property now or sell at lower prices later. Either that or just rent out your properties and revisit the scene some 3 years later to sell

Quote Originally Posted by scsc
    if u have curly hair, maybe u like to consider straighten
    if u have straight hair, maybe u like to consider perm
    if u like to change hairstyle every week, maybe u like to cut bald then buy wigs

No trade, no $$$

Those in property trades dread ppl who sit on the fence & talk their way through cycles without actions... at least this is what I observed..
    Precisely... no commission to be earned by the property agents.

What this property aunty has just postulated is akin to saying about the share market.... i.e. the STI will go up, or go down, or remain flat in the coming days ahead.... so you should just buy your shares, or you will live to regret your indecision

wow - this site is so different lately.
    People are allowed to discuss positive and negative aspects without being shouted at in big red font and told this site is not for losers - because apparently discussing our thoughts that don't align with them somehow is heresy.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

With massive money printing coming again, if sell my properties now where to put my money that can benefit from these massive money printing? I believe to sell now is to Sell and Regret later!

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Precisely! Afterall that has been said and done... bottom line this aunty is still a property agent, and property agents have to sell their property koyok... it's their livelihood, for goodness sake!

Have you seen a fishmonger who says his fish is not fresh?

I maintain my stand... sell property now or sell at lower prices later. Either that or just rent out your properties and revisit the scene some 3 years later to sell

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    With massive money printing coming again, if sell my properties now where to put my money that can benefit from these massive money printing? I believe to sell now is to Sell and Regret later!
    You should park your monies in equities. The sg gahmen is serious about depressing housing prices for the moment, and if the prices still keep on escalating, you can be sure they will do more about it. e.g. capital gains tax (including current SSD), Cash downpayment minimum 30%, minimal CPF usage allowed to buy property... and so on.

Better donch play play with gahmen

cos his business is too good.

We could also leverage on the current situation by selling away our less prime location and older condos and buy back newer projects with more attractive locations.

You should park your monies in equities. The sg gahmen is serious about depressing housing prices for the moment, and if the prices still keep on escalating, you can be sure they will do more about it. e.g. capital gains tax (including current SSD), Cash downpayment minimum 30%, minimal CPF usage allowed to buy property... and so on.

Better donch play play with gahmen

The govt's hand is starting again!

HDB imposes 7-day cooling-off period for flat sale
    By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 18 October 2010 1139 hrs

SINGAPORE: From November, sellers of Housing & Development Board (HDB) flats will have to observe a seven-day cooling-off period before they can grant an Option-to-Purchase (OTP) to the buyers.

The cooling-off period starts after they complete a resale checklist which will have to be submitted online to the HDB website.

The checklist was introduced in 2008 to ensure flat sellers and buyers are aware of the key resale and financial policies before they commit to sell or buy a resale flat.

The HDB said the enhanced resale checklist would also require sellers to state their next housing arrangement.

HDB added if sellers intend to buy another flat, they have to work out their estimated sales proceed of their current flat, and submit a financial plan for their next flat purchase

Buyers of resale flats, acting with or without agents, will also be required to complete and submit the resale checklist.

The HDB said the enhancement was part of regular reviews to better protect the interests of sellers and buyers and help them make informed and prudent decisions.

Currently, agents engaged by sellers or buyers are required to go through a resale checklist with the sellers or buyers to highlight key policies and procedures before the sellers or buyers would grant or exercise the OTP.

After the OTP is granted or exercised, sellers or buyers are required to submit the completed checklist to HDB together with the resale application form.

Sellers and buyers without agents are encouraged, but not required, to go through a separate Do-It-Yourself (DIY) resale checklist.

They also do not need to submit the checklist to HDB.

-CNA/wk

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Yes, yes, on HDB flats because they feel for the general people (the 80% of common-folks voters!)! Erection is coming!!

The govt's hand is starting again!

yes, proud owner and i have been enjoying the peace for quite a few months already. finally the forum is now more balanced and the arguments are healthier. anyway, many of the people who are here now do not have the "honour" of being shouted at in big red font.

wow - this site is so different lately.
    People are allowed to discuss positive and negative aspects without being shouted at in big red font and told this site is not for losers - because apparently discussing our thoughts that don't align with them somehow is heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    yes, proud owner and i have been enjoying the peace for quite a few months already. finally the forum is now more balanced and the arguments are healthier. anyway, many of the people who are here now do not have the "honour" of being shouted at in big red font.
    I want to sometimes but on my ipad i dont seem to see the menu options for font and bold etc....

I want to sometimes but on my ipad i dont seem to see the menu options for font and bold etc....
    Wow , you should take you iPad back to apple. Mine seems to allow it.

See?