PDA

View Full Version : Sales of landed homes picking up

mr funny
26-07-10, 18:16
http://www.straitstimes.com/Invest/Story/STIStory_557509.html

Jul 25, 2010

Sales of landed homes picking up

Surge in demand sees buyers paying higher prices, but rate of increase likely to slow

By Joyce Teo

More buyers are picking up landed homes and paying higher prices amid the strong economic recovery, said a recent Savills Singapore study.

It found that 2,198 caveats were lodged for landed houses between January and June this year, which is more than 57 per cent of the 3,832 caveats lodged last year.

And the total value of these transactions reached about $7.2 billion, which is about 75 per cent of the value of what was sold last year, it said.

Savills noted that more homes priced $5 million and above were traded this year.

'The surge in demand could be that purchasers are seeing better value in landed homes, as condominium prices have soared beyond peak levels,' said its prestige homes and investment director Steven Ming.

Also, compared with prices of their non-landed counterparts, prices of landed homes were relatively stable during the recent economic downturn, he said.

Median landed home prices have increased by 6.2 per cent from $745 per sq ft (psf) in the first quarter to $791 psf in the second, according to data from Savills.

The rise over the past year has been 31.4 per cent, it said.

Last Friday, the Urban Redevelopment Authority released data showing that landed home prices are still climbing, but at a slower rate of 6.2 per cent in the second quarter this year, compared with 8.3 per cent in the first.

Prices of detached houses saw the highest rise of 6.8 per cent among the landed housing types, while terrace house prices rose by 5.6 per cent.

Two to three years ago, buyers could easily find a typical freehold landed home of around 1,600 to 1,800 sq ft for about $1.3 million to $1.5 million, said Colliers International's deputy managing director (agency and business services) and auctioneer, Ms Grace Ng.

Today, they must be prepared to pay a higher amount of $1.6 million to $1.8 million, she said.

However, there are still bargains to be found in the resale market if 'you spend time doing your homework', she said.

These are likely to be run-down houses that need a lot of work.

Or they could be old houses that were bought a few decades ago at relatively low prices, such that the owners may be happy to sell around today's valuation price instead of above it, she said.

Property consultants say the attraction of landed homes lies in the scarcity factor, as there is limited supply.

Even the recent floods won't affect landed home values - that is, in the long term.

'Floods won't affect values in the long term, but in the short term, buyers may turn away,' said Ms Ng.

For instance, in the Bukit Timah area, where only the main roads were flooded, homes remain attractive because of their proximity to schools and the city, she said.

Unless the floods become a common occurrence, they won't weigh down on prices, she added.

Landed home prices are likely to continue rising, though the rate of increase could slow further as price resistance has set in, said Ms Ng.

Savills senior manager of research and consultancy Christine Sun believes that more buyers are likely to enter the market as the economy continues to improve.

'Landed home prices will still increase, but unlikely at the 10 per cent rate that we saw around the middle of last year,' she said.

'We believe that price rises will hover around 5 per cent to 6 per cent per quarter for the rest of the year.'

[email protected]

jlrx
28-07-10, 00:22
Property consultants say the attraction of landed homes lies in the scarcity factor, as there is limited supply.

Landed homes are facing the same problem as HDB flats in matured estates - no supply.

Buyer: "I want a landed home."

Mah: "I will release more land for condos."

Buyer: "I SAID I want a landed home."

Mah: "I'll increase the plot ratio so we can build taller, higher."

Buyer: "I SAID I PREFER A TO BRING MY CHILDREN UP (ALL TWO OF THEM) WITH A BIT OF GRASS IN MY VERY OWN FRONT (AND BACK) YARD!!! FLATS DON'T GIVE THE KIND OF FEELING THAT GOES WITH LIVING IN A HOUSE WITH A GARDEN!!!"

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/jlrx_bucket/PropertySpiralb19810419.jpg

Mah: "OK OK ... I'll check with the Sultan of Johor whether he will sell us another of his islands for $60,000, like he did in 1823."

xebay11
28-07-10, 08:56
Slight correction, freehold landed homes are in short supply.

DC33_2008
28-07-10, 09:24
I guess so. Some of the city fringe FH landed properties have broken the $1000psf mark in the last 6 months. Two years ago was only about $600 plus psf.

jlrx
28-07-10, 10:41
Slight correction, freehold landed homes are in short supply.

You're right. Even the once-in-a-blue moon landed parcels released by the government are 99-year LH. :scared-5:

The only freehold landed homes available are sub-divisions from the like of 31 Parbury Avenue bought by FEO, but that's provided they don't again sell it as LH properties on FH land. :scared-4:

devilplate
28-07-10, 10:53
u guys r making me GANCHEONG!!!!

i dun own any FH LANDED!! HOW???:( :doh: :scared-3:

28-07-10, 11:28
every time i go to a landed estate, every corner i turn, always see at least one house doing major rebuilding. Sometimes even 2 or 3 in a whole.

All build higher and higher, tile up here and tile up there. Guess it is citizens exercising their priviledges....

devilplate
28-07-10, 11:33
got $ sure build up to 3.5storey maxxx....after tat can sell high high if they want:D

bungalows 2.5storey max rite?

DC33_2008
28-07-10, 13:23
Most of them bought old houses and maximize them. Some of them around my place were bought by developers who will design and put up for sale. Once the deal is closed, you can see the construction moves faster otherwise it will be left empty for a while. I do not quite like this idea as I observe that the materials they used are rather low quality.

teddybear
28-07-10, 15:18
My observation: Landed properties building quality are much poorer than condo (you can also see from practical aspects because if 30 storeys condo they don't build with good quality and collapse?. Landed collapse also not many affected and not so serious mah!). :p
That is why landed pricing based on land (since need rebuilding like every 20 years? Some after 10 years already leaking left-right-centre!) while condo based on built-up area.

Most of them bought old houses and maximize them. Some of them around my place were bought by developers who will design and put up for sale. Once the deal is closed, you can see the construction moves faster otherwise it will be left empty for a while. I do not quite like this idea as I observe that the materials they used are rather low quality.

jlrx
28-07-10, 17:57

every time i go to a landed estate, every corner i turn, always see at least one house doing major rebuilding. Sometimes even 2 or 3 in a whole.

All build higher and higher, tile up here and tile up there. Guess it is citizens exercising their priviledges....

Exactly! Other than short supply, HDB in matured estates and landed properties have another thing in common - citizenship privileges.

Some people exercise their HDB privilege, others exercise their landed privilege. The only difference is there is no limit to the number of landed privileges you can exercise at one time. :D

Since Singapore compares itself with international cities, then how much does a landed house cost in Manhattan, Tokyo, Hong Kong or London?

Landed houses in Singapore cost only about 10% that in other major cities. It's a citizen privilege!

If someone tells you "I own a landed house in Hong Kong" or "London"?:scared-4:

Tycoon Lee Shau-kee’s Son Buys Hong Kong Site for US$233 Million

May 19, 2010 (Bloomberg) -- Martin Lee, the youngest son of Hong Kong real estate tycoon Lee Shau-kee, paid HK$1.82 billion (S$317 million).

Lee, who is vice chairman of Henderson Land Development Co., controlled by his father, offered a record HK$68,200 (S11,926) per square foot for the site at the Peak yesterday and said he will develop it for personal use. Auctioneer Joseph Tsang, head of sales at property broker Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., said the per-square-foot price for the 53,350 square foot (4,956 square meters) site was the highest ever at a Hong Kong public auction.

Jun 25 2008 , London - NRI steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal has bought his third major property for £70 million (S$150 million) in Kensington Palace Gardens, London’s most expensive street.

The latest purchase of the former embassy of the Philippines from Hedge fund tycoon Noam Gottesman came a month after Mittal bought Britain’s most expensive house for £117 million on the street nicknamed “Billionaire’s Row”, ostensibly for his son Aditya and his family.

The £70 million (S$150 million) price tag for Mittal’s latest property is all the more remarkable as the former Philippine Embassy is in need of modernisation, the Evening Standard said.

The 16,250 sq ft home is also not the largest in the road but it looks on to Kensington Palace.

The 58-year-old Mittal, Britain’s richest man, himself lives in a home in Kensington Palace Gardens which he bought for £57 million four years ago and is three times-bigger than his latest acquisition.

devilplate
28-07-10, 19:32
wah lauuuuuu!!!

me HOW?:scared-4: :doh: :scared-3:

never exercise my priviledges at all!!!!!!! and serve 2.5yrs of NS + ongoing reservists!!!!!!!!!!!:(

can buy landed now??? from 600+ to 1kpsf liao!!!!!!!just within 1-2yrs....haha...

cashrich
28-07-10, 19:55
wah lauuuuuu!!!

never exercise my priviledges at all!!!!!!! and serve 2.5yrs of NS + ongoing reservists!!!!!!!!!!!:(

can buy landed now??? from 600+ to 1kpsf liao!!!!!!!just within 1-2yrs....haha...

FH landed will Cheong!!!!!!!

moneyspinner
28-07-10, 19:57
FH landed will Cheong!!!!!!!

Should add 999 years leasehold as well!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Komo
28-07-10, 22:09
I believe those freehold landed (&999) around < 2.5 mil can double in value soon. Too late to grab any now...:(

proud owner
28-07-10, 22:12

hahahaha

you not working .. so free .... drive around lah ... sure can find something

proud owner
28-07-10, 22:14
got $ sure build up to 3.5storey maxxx....after tat can sell high high if they want:D

bungalows 2.5storey max rite?

bungalow ? no lah can go to 3 some 3+attic

only GCB got limit of 2 storey

devilplate
29-07-10, 01:10
I believe those freehold landed (&999) around < 2.5 mil can double in value soon. Too late to grab any now...:(

since u r saying they got the potential to double in value SOON....den wat r u waiting for???:beats-me-man:

if i noe any shyt ppty(be it FH,99,999, landed/walk up etc etc) will increase just another 20% from today's price...i will HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

devilplate
29-07-10, 01:12
bungalow ? no lah can go to 3 some 3+attic

only GCB got limit of 2 storey

ooo...i was told 2.5storey max for bungalow/detached status...i went to view some landed over at punggol 21 few mths back....down there really 2.5storey max for the newer bungalows leh:beats-me-man:

jlrx
29-07-10, 01:13
wah lauuuuuu!!!

The government has already hinted many times that HDB and landed properties are how they would compenate us for our national service (citizenship privileges).

Those with HDB income buy HDB properties; those who can afford landed buy landed.

I calculated my gain from my landed property, it's exactly 2.5 years of my income.

How did they calculate till so accurate? This government is really God!

devilplate
29-07-10, 01:16
The government has already hinted many times that HDB and landed properties are how they would compenate us for our national service.

Those with HDB income buy HDB properties; those who can afford landed buy landed.

I calculated my gain from my landed property, it's exactly 2.5 years of my income.

How they calculate till so accurate? This government is really God!

poor me...since i dun own any landed now...and i wana own one in future....i shall tok down landed ppty from now!!!! hehe:D

probably i shdnt always use rental yield as a guide on ppty investment...once i got the financial muscle/spare cash....i will buy a FH landed....heck care high maintenance cost/reno cost blah blah...must exercise my PRIVILEGDE!!!!

proud owner
29-07-10, 01:49
poor me...since i dun own any landed now...and i wana own one in future....i shall tok down landed ppty from now!!!! hehe:D

probably i shdnt always use rental yield as a guide on ppty investment...once i got the financial muscle/spare cash....i will buy a FH landed....heck care high maintenance cost/reno cost blah blah...must exercise my PRIVILEGDE!!!!

maintenance not high lah ...

u pay 300-400 a mth for condo maintenance .. for a car park lot, pool and security guard ..

1yr = 3600 - 4800

every year i also dont spend so much maintaining the landed .. so far like a few 100's to touch up here and there ... and keep thhe house looking nice and new ..

swimming ? go to club lor .. secuity guard ? install Cisco alarm lor ..

jlrx
29-07-10, 02:09

Rental yield and capital gains are trade offs. Properties with higher rental yields tend to have lower capital gains, and vice versa. I have one commercial with rental yield 8% p.a. but hardly any capital gains. :scared-5:

However, between the two, capital gains almost always beats rental yield. This is because "capital gains" are for "deep pockets" and "deep pockets" almost always wins "shallow pockets".

Landed properties are super-long term plays so you must practise PROPERTISM.

PROPERTISM Rule No. 1 - Property prices always go up in the long term hence properties should only be bought and not sold.

I personally know many high-earning professionals are hoarding up landed properties for their children.

The future will be divided between the children of those who have landed properties and those who do not. Landed properties cannot be created.

The only risk is if PAP loses power and some crazy new government confiscate our properties like in China's Cultural Revolution. Otherwise this is a sure-win thing for the children.

Holding landed properties is like holding paintings. When you look at it, you must look into the future ... a distant future ... you are no longer in this world. It's like a religion. That's why I do not buy 99 year LH landed properties. I cannot see the future.

There is one religion more powerful than PROPERTISM. It's called PAINTISM. I don't have deep enough pockets to play this one. Negative rental yields. Need storage costs and insurance. :doh:

Picasso Nude Fetches Record US$106.5 Million in N.Y.

By Lindsay Pollock and Philip Boroff - May 5, 2010

Pablo Picasso’s 1932 lilac-hued oil painting of his young mistress, Marie-Therese Walter, sold for a record US$106.5 million in New York last night, hours after the U.S. stock market had its biggest drop since February.

“Nude, Green Leaves and Bust” came from the estate of Los Angeles philanthropist Frances Brody, who died last year at the age of 93. She bought it in 1950 for US$17,000 at New York’s Paul Rosenberg and Co., according to Conor Jordan, head of Christie’s Impressionist and modern art department in New York.

http://images.ctv.ca/gallery/photo/ent_picassso_20100414/5.jpg

devilplate
29-07-10, 02:12
maintenance not high lah ...

u pay 300-400 a mth for condo maintenance .. for a car park lot, pool and security guard ..

1yr = 3600 - 4800

every year i also dont spend so much maintaining the landed .. so far like a few 100's to touch up here and there ... and keep thhe house looking nice and new ..

swimming ? go to club lor .. secuity guard ? install Cisco alarm lor ..

every mth 200-300 nto a big deal...but one short few 100k is a big deal...housekeeping? maid? gardener if any? i hate housework...no green fingers....2 person stay in 4-5bedrooms landed? BUT if i got kids,parents/ grandparents...YES...landed is a much better choice to buy for self stay now compared with tiny 4bedder condo with much higher PSF.

but to buy a landed for investment now? really feasible? how many months i can afford to leave the house empty? buying landed nid a deeper knowledge and luck as well....any nasty neighbours? leaking? flooding? mozzies? crime? every landed is unqiue and prices varies quite a fair bit within a neighbourhood too...not easy to invest in landed....might ended up becoming a big carrot myself...haha

and i only keen in those landed with big sizeable land...inter terrace eeks...sharing 2 sides of the wall....if u got nasty neighbours...goto pretend smiling whenever u sees them? wait...hope one day i got the financial muscle to buy bungalow/detach and can afford to leave it as a holiday home/party home:D :D :D

devilplate
29-07-10, 02:16
Rental yield and capital gains are trade offs. Properties with higher rental yields tend to have lower capital gains, and vice versa. I have one commercial with rental yield 8% p.a. but hardly any capital gains. :scared-5:

However, between the two, capital gains almost always beats rental yield. This is because "capital gains" are for "deep pockets" and "deep pockets" almost always wins "shallow pockets".

Landed properties are super-long term plays so you must practise PROPERTISM.

PROPERTISM Rule No. 1 - Property prices always go up in the long term hence properties should only be bought and not sold.

I personally know many high-earning professionals are hoarding up landed properties for their children.

The future will be divided between the children of those who have landed properties and those who do not. Landed properties cannot be created.

The only risk is if PAP loses power and some crazy new government confiscate our properties like in China's Cultural Revolution. Otherwise this is a sure-win thing for the children.

Holding landed properties is like holding paintings. When you look at it, you must look into the future ... a distant future ... you are no longer in this world. It's like a religion. That's why I do not buy 99 year LH landed properties. I cannot see the future.

There is one religion more powerful than PROPERTISM. It's called PAINTISM. I don't have deep enough pockets to play this one. Negative rental yields. Need storage costs and insurance. :doh:

Picasso Nude Fetches Record US$106.5 Million in N.Y.

By Lindsay Pollock and Philip Boroff - May 5, 2010

Pablo Picasso’s 1932 lilac-hued oil painting of his young mistress, Marie-Therese Walter, sold for a record US$106.5 million in New York last night, hours after the U.S. stock market had its biggest drop since February.

“Nude, Green Leaves and Bust” came from the estate of Los Angeles philanthropist Frances Brody, who died last year at the age of 93. She bought it in 1950 for US$17,000 at New York’s Paul Rosenberg and Co., according to Conor Jordan, head of Christie’s Impressionist and modern art department in New York.

http://images.ctv.ca/gallery/photo/ent_picassso_20100414/5.jpg

if my investment perspective is to get long term worry free cashcows/passive income??? who cares about next generation when i am single? hehe

so it is really about individual's investment perspectives and Goals...wat i care most is whether the ppty i bot can be fully paid by the rental income based on 60% loan even during a recession especially i am JOBLESS

proud owner
29-07-10, 02:21
every mth 200-300 nto a big deal...but one short few 100k is a big deal...housekeeping? maid? gardener if any? i hate housework...no green fingers....2 person stay in 4-5bedrooms landed? BUT if i got kids,parents/ grandparents...YES...landed is a much better choice to buy for self stay now compared with tiny 4bedder condo with much higher PSF.

but to buy a landed for investment now? really feasible? how many months i can afford to leave the house empty? buying landed nid a deeper knowledge and luck as well....any nasty neighbours? leaking? flooding? mozzies? crime? every landed is unqiue and prices varies quite a fair bit within a neighbourhood too...not easy to invest in landed....might ended up becoming a big carrot myself...haha

and i only keen in those landed with big sizeable land...inter terrace eeks...sharing 2 sides of the wall....if u got nasty neighbours...goto pretend smiling whenever u sees them? wait...hope one day i got the financial muscle to buy bungalow/detach and can afford to leave it as a holiday home/party home:D :D :D

actually inter terrace not so bad .. you only face your neighbour front and back ...

semi D you see your neighbours front back and side ..

Mozzies ... plant some anti mozzie plants ...

burglars ? get alarm and a dog ...

condo also need maids what ..

landed can use part time maid also mah ..

can lah ... try lah .. you will like it ..

i mean landed living .. not referring to the maid

teddybear
29-07-10, 08:02
Landed I only interested in the good-class bungalows. The others like terrace and semi-D's still have to share with neighbours and wait get the "neighbours from hell" like Everitt Road? :p
Also landed must get a house-keeper lah, otherwise got rats, centipedes, snakes, scorpions climbing into the compound and house who to handle? I scared scared, especially for the innocent kids who don't know the danger of those creatures!
Furthermore landed areas if got flooding and mozzie problems and whatever (e.g. build a workers' dorm near your house?), little concrete action will be taken to solve them (as too few units benefit from the solution & money spent) until the other areas flooding etc have been solved first (eg condos areas where too many people will be affected). 1 good example is King's Road and Coronation Road area. Those landed properties have to put up with flooding for don't know how long already and now still getting flooded! Orchard Road flooding? Soon no more already since they are bent on solving the problem in Orchard and not King's Road. :beats-me-man:

devilplate
29-07-10, 12:19
and i did a rough calculation on household expenses if i were to shift to landed....can shoot up at least 3-4times!

for eg. now i hire part time maid...come once a week...only cost me $60...if landed i tink nid to pay them $180 (3 pax to clean instead of one)

den who maintain my compound...autogate will spoil...i will nid to buy another car for my parent....all these adds up....cud be more unforeseen expenses....so funny right...2pax stay in 4-5bedder 2000sqft landed...

dun u tink landed slowly losing its appeal to the younger generation...dun tok about facilities...we just tok about feasibility....the trend is: one newly wed usually no kids or only 1 kid now....very rarely u find 2kids....(poorer families got alot more kids....higher income families usually no kid or just one)

so landed is only gd for multi generation living..BUT nowadays who's wifey willing to stay with in laws??? u can dream on....sure quarrel and u will be sandwiched in between.

so...landed only gd for those who r rich to invest and hold a piece of land to themselevs for legacy/status/show off(i owned a landed wor...my fren will say..WOW...since condo so common nowadays..EC also sort of condo)

but seriously, if i got few mil spare cash now..i dun mind buying a nice bungalow and leave it vacant as a party house...i will nvr stay there or rent it out...(rental yield so low...why let the tenant enjoy):D

cashrich
29-07-10, 13:20
the long term trend... people stay in smaller houses.

big house with many people are not really good as it can be quarellesome...

I rather stay in a small house with 1 or 2 person than a big house with 10 or 20 persons... alot of problems.

Now adays, in laws problems not only Mother in law. Father in law also have. U see that happening? In the past no common, BUT I see some high income wife making their poorer husband suffer NOW. There's a recent court case where husband ask for 50% maintenance from a high income wife and got only 20%..... rare case...

The one who has money has the say.. otherwise, shut up and live like a dog... hahaha.

xebay11
29-07-10, 15:28
Hmm many old ppl live in landed, cheaply too.

devilplate
29-07-10, 16:39
Hmm many old ppl live in landed, cheaply too.

tats the problem...some say condo prices up alot since last yr lows...u will be shocked to know how much landed has risen in price within 12mths:scared-1:

dare not touch leh...landed so so good...no balls to hoot wor:D

i declare myself as landed miss the boat follower! haha

landed price too high la...unsustainable lah....foreigners cannot buy...locals got so much $ to buy higher next time meh? GHOST WILL BUY:D :D :D

devilplate
29-07-10, 16:43
quite shiok by toking down LANDED man...or rather toking nonsense...one word SHIOK

no wonder so many ppl toking nonsense here....SHIOKKKKKKKK

jlrx
29-07-10, 22:15
tats the problem...some say condo prices up alot since last yr lows...u will be shocked to know how much landed has risen in price within 12mths:scared-1:

dare not touch leh...landed so so good...no balls to hoot wor:D

i declare myself as landed miss the boat follower! haha

landed price too high la...unsustainable lah....foreigners cannot buy...locals got so much $ to buy higher next time meh? GHOST WILL BUY:D :D :D

Landed has shot through the roof during the past few years, despite the Lehman Crisis. People don't notice that because most statistics are for non-landed.

During 2007, D9 was my "favourite" but now landed has become my "favourite". Suburban condos' performance also not bad. They take turns to be "favourites".

quite shiok by toking down LANDED man...or rather toking nonsense...one word SHIOK

no wonder so many ppl toking nonsense here....SHIOKKKKKKKK

There's no point trying to "talk down" landed properties. The price of a certain class of asset is determined only by people who can appreciate that asset.

For example, I don't think Picasso's “Nude, Green Leaves and Bust” is worth US$106.5 million, but then my opinion does not matter.

http://artradarasia.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/pablo-picasso-nude-green-leaves-and-bust.jpg

devilplate
29-07-10, 22:41
relax...i merely joking around...i haf been saying tat this is such a small forum...limited exposure...really wasting time here if i wana tok down landed.. Singaporeans so rich...i dunwan to buy landed now..but there r thousands of buyers eagerly snapping up like durians...bao jiat:D

xebay11
30-07-10, 16:20
Start small first, get an intermediate terrace. You will surprised that as you go along rebuilding it, you may never sell to upgrade.

cashrich
30-07-10, 16:48
Start small first, get an intermediate terrace. You will surprised that as you go along rebuilding it, you may never sell to upgrade.

hahah because proper landed appreciated too fast..

2 million to 4 million in 3 years... how?

devilplate
30-07-10, 17:41

tinking of getting a corner terrace soon...to gain deeper knowledge...or rather pay tuition fees

look see look see...just like going to sch... only when u buy liao...den u learn more...learn by the hard way...haha