PDA

View Full Version : Flood prone areas in Katong, Marine parade?

pod
20-07-10, 19:33
Heard from news & a friend that some areas are affected lately in Telok Kurau. (My friend's mum car carpet is soaked wet whilst driving thru the area):doh:

How about Katong & Marine parade areas? Anyone drove by that day when the rain was super duper heavy?

silver023
20-07-10, 21:03
Heard from news & a friend that some areas are affected lately in Telok Kurau. (My friend's mum car carpet is soaked wet whilst driving thru the area):doh:

How about Katong & Marine parade areas? Anyone drove by that day when the rain was super duper heavy?

Was at Katong laksa area all wekend, didn't see flood.

Do you know which part of Telok Kurau was flooded?

Douk
20-07-10, 21:20

No flood..:)

smallant
20-07-10, 22:15
Pass by Marina Barriage today around 3pm... The water level seems quite high ... Hopefully no where else flooding... :D

Jazzer
21-07-10, 11:08

I stayed in TK and was driving around TK and Siglap area Sat morning but did not spot any water at all. Anyone know which area in Tk was flooded??

KW
21-07-10, 13:07
Crazy flood..

xebay11
21-07-10, 14:16
Telok Kurau Lor G near connector reporting, no flood.

Autonomy
21-07-10, 15:07
I also curious which part is flooding. TK so complex, so many lorongs. And even the same lorong also got different sides, those nearer to still road or those nearer to park connector.

devilplate
21-07-10, 16:22
was reported flooding at langsat/changi road vicinity

but which part of telok kurau got flooded?

xebay11
21-07-10, 18:17
Telok Kurau Lor G near Residence 81, the stretch from TK Road towards Still Road was flooded.

devilplate
21-07-10, 18:23
Telok Kurau Lor G near Residence 81, the stretch from TK Road towards Still Road was flooded.

u mean palm oasis tat stretch? ooo...luckily nvr own anything over there:D

Wild Falcon
21-07-10, 21:38
But just because one Lorong gets flooded today doesn't mean another Lorong two step away won't get flooded. I think just need to keep in mind the entire locality is low lying and flood prone. And if your locality is flood-prone, there is also greater risk of you driving past the floods.

I also curious which part is flooding. TK so complex, so many lorongs. And even the same lorong also got different sides, those nearer to still road or those nearer to park connector.

zimmer
21-07-10, 21:43
Changi road from Still Rd to Geylang Serai Market about ankle-deep in most places. I was trying to catch a cab that sat morning. Langsat Rd as far as I could see from Lorong 101-104 was fine.

marktkt22
21-07-10, 22:52
Any flood in east coast road, Tembeling, still road area ?? :)
This cazy flood could really put a dampener on the ppty mkt...

xebay11
22-07-10, 09:51
u mean palm oasis tat stretch? ooo...luckily nvr own anything over there:D

Nearer Liang Apt, towards Still Road stretch, was heading towards Still Rd along Lor G, I did u turn at Residence 81 to avoid the floods, Palm Oasis OK.

pod
22-07-10, 12:29
Was at Katong laksa area all wekend, didn't see flood.

Do you know which part of Telok Kurau was flooded?

My friend told me its along changi road stretch. Exactly which part his mum didnt say thou. :scared-3:

xebay11
22-07-10, 13:10
My friend told me its along changi road stretch. Exactly which part his mum didnt say thou. :scared-3:

Yes Changi Road in the direction of Still Road flooded.

pod
29-07-10, 16:43
Yes Changi Road in the direction of Still Road flooded.

tons of development along this area now... hope the authorities from relevant ministries spend some time to study the chanelling of rain water before further damage to ppty value.

I ply this road often. I hate to 'swim' pass this already jammed pack area.:doh:

devilplate
29-07-10, 16:44
dun drive lor....better still dun WORK....travel during off peak office when ppl r working:D

pod
29-07-10, 21:53
Now CNA program "insight" talking abt the flood in changi road affecting the shopkeepers & some of the landed properties.

Some of the feedback & claims were due to the covering of the drains with cement slab to facilitate walkways & also due to the intensive development of the areas.

Even if dun drive, also cant expect the poor residents to wear phua chu kang rubber boots to work right?:D

Some areas affect were as deep as from ankle to knee level. Scary!

devilplate
29-07-10, 22:25
gd news if they identified the real root cause

cannot imagine flash floods news becoming a hot topic for foreign countries:scared-5:

xebay11
30-07-10, 09:28
If they identified the root cause, they would be able to solve the problem right? So it seems like they are pretty clueless to me.

pod
30-07-10, 09:28
gd news if they identified the real root cause

cannot imagine flash floods news becoming a hot topic for foreign countries:scared-5:

I just came back from HK. Actually in China even worse. As for HK side, they registered floods in low lying areas with drownings recorded & missing persons.

But ya, agree with u that for a city like singapore, hard for foreigners to accept 'floodings' in our city shopping belt areas.

xebay11
30-07-10, 09:39
Cannot compare, HK is faced with typhoons and tropical cyclones, even then they are doing lots of tunneling for drainage to alleviate the situation. Singapore is only faced with heavy rains, so flooding is more due to poor planning and /or incomptence / complacency (excuses such as no land, once in 50 years, microburst etc, etc.)

pod
30-07-10, 11:08
Cannot compare, HK is faced with typhoons and tropical cyclones, even then they are doing lots of tunneling for drainage to alleviate the situation. Singapore is only faced with heavy rains, so flooding is more due to poor planning and /or incomptence / complacency (excuses such as no land, once in 50 years, microburst etc, etc.)

Perhaps you are right. I saw the CNA program abt the interviews as well as site visits. It shows the covered rw drains with only small discharge outlets 'sized' like an apple. No wunder they have so much problems. I feel the 'architects' of the drain system as well as the builders needs to learn as well as be on the ground during the construction to see for themselves on the system that they r building. :doh:

devilplate
30-07-10, 11:14
all the long not much flash flood...suddenly 3 in a mth...smthing is wrong smwhr...some say marina barrage, some say MRT construction and some say foreign worker sweepers anyhow sweep the rubbish into the drains:beats-me-man:

i point at u...u point back at me...den whos next? haha

i doubt the root cause is our existing drainage infrastructure...must be smthing recently implemented/built tat caused a drainage bottleneck somewhr

xebay11
30-07-10, 12:50
all the long not much flash flood...suddenly 3 in a mth...smthing is wrong smwhr...some say marina barrage, some say MRT construction and some say foreign worker sweepers anyhow sweep the rubbish into the drains:beats-me-man:

i point at u...u point back at me...den whos next? haha

i doubt the root cause is our existing drainage infrastructure...must be smthing recently implemented/built tat caused a drainage bottleneck somewhr

Initials MB

acewee
30-07-10, 18:26
Catch 22 if the recent spike in pty construction is one of the causes, especially if the coordination of planning not good.

tons of development along this area now... hope the authorities from relevant ministries spend some time to study the chanelling of rain water before further damage to ppty value.

I ply this road often. I hate to 'swim' pass this already jammed pack area.:doh:

eng81157
30-07-10, 20:17
Catch 22 if the recent spike in pty construction is one of the causes, especially if the coordination of planning not good.

well, on the flip side of coin, developers can now add a tagline into their projects around orchard area

"swimming just at your door step"

acewee
30-07-10, 20:25
It should be 'personal indoor swimming pool'.

well, on the flip side of coin, developers can now add a tagline into their projects around orchard area

"swimming just at your door step"

smallant
31-07-10, 00:39
Venice of the east... Spore...
If cannot tame the flood.. Might as well embrace it !
Change Orchard rd to Orchard river... As we all knows.. anything sea/river view.. sure great... Imagine.. shopping by boats rowing romantically along Orchard River... (can employ old man like me to row leh, increase employment, like venice ) Row to each high end shop and buy branded gd... Dinner by the sidewalk along orchard river ! No vehicle traffic.. also environmentally green leh... :D