PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Demolish and Rebuilding a House

gunbound
17-06-10, 19:55
Dear all,

How much does it cost in Singapore to demolish a landed house and rebuild again? I heard a ball park figure of S$300 psf to rebuild. Any feedback will be appreeciated! Thanks

sealover
17-06-10, 21:01
my experience is S$600K for an intermediate terrace, S$800K for semi-D and >S$1 mil for Bangalow. Time to plan and submit for approval is around 6 months, construction to take about 8 to 12 months.

Make sure you cover everything in the contract, otherwise, contractor will charge you super high for additional works as they know you have no choice.

proud owner
18-06-10, 09:43
Dear all,

How much does it cost in Singapore to demolish a landed house and rebuild again? I heard a ball park figure of S$300 psf to rebuild. Any feedback will be appreeciated! Thanks

300 psf is a good guage to est your total cost .. can still find some at 250 psf ...

there are other cost involved

if you engage an architect, they charge 7-10pct of total construction cost .. they will want a structure engineer ..etc etc these are extras

BUT

there are some contractors who have their own draftsmen, enginner etc .. so u eliminate the architect fee ( 10 pct of const, say 600k = 60k) ..and some other cost

Blue
18-06-10, 10:34
Mine is $850K for 3000 sqft. Materials selection is key factor to the cost. I have tempered glass on my stairs and walkways which is more expensive than those conventional steel bars.

proud owner
18-06-10, 10:40
Mine is $850K for 3000 sqft. Materials selection is key factor to the cost. I have tempered glass on my stairs and walkways which is more expensive than those conventional steel bars.

hhmm i may be wrong

but using tempered glass for stairs is not really more expensive .. its the construction thats costing more ..

conventional steel / wrought iron stairs railing are mounted agst the wall and / or on the steps itself ..

while glass has to be 'planted' into the concrete steps .. and thats difficult to do ..hence cost more .. not so much the material costing more

URA requires all stairs to have railing .. even if its 3 steps ..so silly

those deigner loft in other countries .. 10-20 steps also no railing ..very nice .. especially the floating stairs ..

of course not suitable when theres children and old folks

Blue
18-06-10, 10:50
hhmm i may be wrong

but using tempered glass for stairs is not really more expensive .. its the construction thats costing more ..

conventional steel / wrought iron stairs railing are mounted agst the wall and / or on the steps itself ..

while glass has to be 'planted' into the concrete steps .. and thats difficult to do ..hence cost more .. not so much the material costing more

URA requires all stairs to have railing .. even if its 3 steps ..so silly

those deigner loft in other countries .. 10-20 steps also no railing ..very nice .. especially the floating stairs ..

of course not suitable when theres children and old folks

Eh...mine was tempered glass drilled with holes and mounted on stainless steel brackets, then mounted onto the stairs, instead of silicon planting in groove lines..:cool:

proud owner
18-06-10, 10:52
Eh...mine was tempered glass drilled with holes and mounted on stainless steel brackets, then mounted onto the stairs, instead of silicon planting in groove lines..:cool:

oh then it shouldnt cost alot more

i am referring to those where the glass is planted at least 5 inches into the step ..and free standing ... those will really cost a lot more .. .but damn nice

proud owner
18-06-10, 10:55

thats abt 280-290 psf ..which yr did u construct your house ? 2008 ?

Blue
18-06-10, 15:54
oh then it shouldnt cost alot more

i am referring to those where the glass is planted at least 5 inches into the step ..and free standing ... those will really cost a lot more .. .but damn nice

Nice but may not be tat secured enuf since concrete can break at the edges with undue force on the glass! :doh:

This is cool but not practical! :scared-5:

http://freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/stair.jpg

proud owner
18-06-10, 16:47
Nice but may not be tat secured enuf since concrete can break at the edges with undue force on the glass! :doh:

This is cool but not practical! :scared-5:

http://freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/stair.jpg

hahaha walau eh

how to walk ?

new2mondrian
19-06-10, 00:40
Dear all,

Actually prices can differ quite a fair bit due to many factors such as the location (affects the DC), type of soil (marine clay which requires micro-piling?), shape of land (odd-shaped usually costs more) and of course the layout/materials. And of course there are other factors such as architect's fees which also differs across the board. Generally, $250-300 psf is a fair amount.

Meridian Homes put their catalogue and pricing for 2010 on their website. If you don't mind having a cookie cutter home (based on their standard template) and if your land shape allows it, then that will be a good reference point.

http://www.meridianhomes.com.sg/web2009/template02.php?pg=cat_newhouses

jlrx
26-06-10, 03:38
Can two-storey mixed landed area have an attic? Does it become 2.5 storeys?

What about three-storey mixed landed having an attic, does it mean 3.5 storeys (3 storeys plus attic)?

If add attic then must subtract other levels' floor space based on plot ratio?

stl67
01-07-10, 11:43
Can two-storey mixed landed area have an attic? Does it become 2.5 storeys?

What about three-storey mixed landed having an attic, does it mean 3.5 storeys (3 storeys plus attic)?

If add attic then must subtract other levels' floor space based on plot ratio?

Yes, 2 storey house can reconstruct to have an attic. For 3 storeys to go to 3.5, it is possible only in mixed landed area. Seletar is one area that allows only 2.5 storey.

When I rebuilt my house 3 years back. There were 2 major design changed, from initial Inter Terrace design to a Corner Terrace (long story as the contractor mess it out). The contractor did not mention the plot ratio constraint at all to me. (I never know what Plot Ratio means at that time)

Now 3 years later, my brother is reconstructing his house. His architect design the house constraint with the plot ratio. When he asked me on the PR, I find it strange as I was never bothered by the PR.

So I asked around and I was told by some expert that normally URA will not bother you with the plot ratio if the house you are reconstructing is for own stay.
However, if you buy the land and then plan to sub-divide it into 2 or 3 houses, you are now like a developer. This means the plot ratio issue will come in place as this will determine how much you need to pay for the Development Charge.

Best, is to get your architect to work out something for you.

Wolverine23
03-07-10, 07:51

cannot really visualise your staircase..do you have pictures?

mine is tempered glass inserted in and filled with silicon...

Wolverine23
03-07-10, 07:53
Can someone reconstruct a huge corner terrace into a 5/6 storey development???

Yes, 2 storey house can reconstruct to have an attic. For 3 storeys to go to 3.5, it is possible only in mixed landed area. Seletar is one area that allows only 2.5 storey.

When I rebuilt my house 3 years back. There were 2 major design changed, from initial Inter Terrace design to a Corner Terrace (long story as the contractor mess it out). The contractor did not mention the plot ratio constraint at all to me. (I never know what Plot Ratio means at that time)

Now 3 years later, my brother is reconstructing his house. His architect design the house constraint with the plot ratio. When he asked me on the PR, I find it strange as I was never bothered by the PR.

So I asked around and I was told by some expert that normally URA will not bother you with the plot ratio if the house you are reconstructing is for own stay.
However, if you buy the land and then plan to sub-divide it into 2 or 3 houses, you are now like a developer. This means the plot ratio issue will come in place as this will determine how much you need to pay for the Development Charge.

Best, is to get your architect to work out something for you.

new2mondrian
04-07-10, 16:52
Can someone reconstruct a huge corner terrace into a 5/6 storey development???

depends on whether there is a buiding height limit as set by URA, as well as the plot ratio. The tallest corner terrace I've seen so far was one that was built to 4 storeys.

Wolverine23
06-07-10, 23:40
depends on whether there is a buiding height limit as set by URA, as well as the plot ratio. The tallest corner terrace I've seen so far was one that was built to 4 storeys.

even if it will be very near to the next development???

Blue
13-07-10, 13:33
cannot really visualise your staircase..do you have pictures?

mine is tempered glass inserted in and filled with silicon...

Something like this...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:zIuDM1D6UQlPSM::&t=1&usg=__edBZwSumPF-ikhZMTMMdzp0kmew=

or this...

http://www.decodir.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ultra-modern-minimalist-glass-stairs-design-550x733.jpg