PDA

View Full Version : The Esta Vs. One Amber

Lou
12-05-10, 23:56
Know sometimes you can't compare 2 properties directly. But since the 2 are neighbours and the $psf is around the same region, Esta lower of coz given that it TOP earlier. Which do you folks think makes a better investment or simply a better choice for staying?

ps: I have 'vested' interest in OA and i think the balcony layout in Esta is pretty bad.

proud owner
13-05-10, 00:10
Know sometimes you can't compare 2 properties directly. But since the 2 are neighbours and the $psf is around the same region, Esta lower of coz given that it TOP earlier. Which do you folks think makes a better investment or simply a better choice for staying?

ps: I have 'vested' interest in OA and i think the balcony layout in Esta is pretty bad.

personally ... I prefer Esta ...

simply becos .. its on a non major road .. Amber road
compared to OA, which is by Tanjong katong rd .. which is much bigger and heavily traffic ..

august
13-05-10, 00:33
i prefer esta
prefer the layout ~~

devilplate
13-05-10, 00:39
can i cast my vote to The Sea View instead...:D

fiat500
13-05-10, 00:46
esta for me anytime!
reason: much nearer to eateries and amenities.:cool:

Douk
13-05-10, 06:24
Esta. Better layout.

Miow
13-05-10, 08:58
One clear advantage for The Esta is there are only 4 units per floor. None of the units face each other. The living, bedrooms and bathrooms face outwards. The kitchens face each other, but their windows are staggered so that you don't see your neighbour. The entire layout of the units ensures privacy. I understand One Amber has 7 units per floor?

One Amber has a more impressive clubhouse - good for the ego I suppose, especially when you have guests. I know this sounds silly, but some people do feel like that. They live in a condo and they must impress???

I remember a survey was done during the Asian Financial Crisis on condo owners who were forced to sell their apartment because of financial difficulties. When asked what they missed most, the reply was they didn't miss the condo facilities because they were hardly used. The thing that was missed most was the condo address on the IC! Kind of a loss of face without that address. Instead of being in the top 17% of the population, the erstwhile condo owners were now among the mass. Asian societies are so shallow.

Laguna
13-05-10, 15:23
Back in 2006, when Esta and OA were both available in the market at the same time. Esta was completely sold out and OA, if not wrong still have more than 100 units.

I bot Esta for its practical internal layout. Units in OA are too close to each others and have a lot of wastage internally.

Of course, now OA is near completion, I like the OA buildings as more trendy looking.

But anyway, The SeaView is still the best among all.

Wild Falcon
13-05-10, 15:25
I like the 4-units on one floor "point block" kind of layout. Not common in new launches any more :( You will realise that layout for such condos are more "squarish" and feels more like a home. Nowadays, many condos use an elongated corridor design which I really hate. even the units layout is like one long corridor - you walk in and start to walk horizontally from the halls to the rooms in a long corridor fashion and windows open on the same side. Since when people start building homes like a horizontal corridor?

One clear advantage for The Esta is there are only 4 units per floor. None of the units face each other. The living, bedrooms and bathrooms face outwards. The kitchens face each other, but their windows are staggered so that you don't see your neighbour. The entire layout of the units ensures privacy. I understand One Amber has 7 units per floor?

One Amber has a more impressive clubhouse - good for the ego I suppose, especially when you have guests. I know this sounds silly, but some people do feel like that. They live in a condo and they must impress???

I remember a survey was done during the Asian Financial Crisis on condo owners who were forced to sell their apartment because of financial difficulties. When asked what they missed most, the reply was they didn't miss the condo facilities because they were hardly used. The thing that was missed most was the condo address on the IC! Kind of a loss of face without that address. Instead of being in the top 17% of the population, the erstwhile condo owners were now among the mass. Asian societies are so shallow.

mcmlxxvi
13-05-10, 15:47

Want nice address might as well buy landed...

Singers Property
13-05-10, 15:55
I bought OA because I think there is enough space between the towers so the condo does not look at claustrophobic at Esta.
OA being a new development looks better. In the long run I feel it will command a better premium.

eng81157
13-05-10, 16:25
I bought OA because I think there is enough space between the towers so the condo does not look at claustrophobic at Esta.
OA being a new development looks better. In the long run I feel it will command a better premium.

agree on the claustrophobic part. esta's blocks look as if they are stacked very close to each other

Miow
13-05-10, 16:41
Want nice address might as well buy landed...

I used to have this thinking and didn't understand why anyone would spend on a condo unit when a landed property cost the same. Then I saw how inconsiderate house owners tore down semi-detached houses at Tanjong Katong Rd (opposite to One Amber) and at Mountbatten Rd, and replace these houses with some monstrosities. If I were the owner of the other semi-detached house, I would cringe and cry as my property value would suffer. Who would want to buy a semi-detached house that is completely overwhelmed by the other half?

Likewise, you walk around and look at terraced houses. Some of the rebuilts are ridiculous with an oversized car porch. The rebuilding guidelines are loose. Most house owners have no taste and definitely inconsiderate. The Singaporean thinking is the bigger the better.

Unless you have money to buy a bungalow in the same area, I suggest sticking to a condo!

devilplate
13-05-10, 16:49
most youngsters prefer condo den landed nowadays...tats the trend.

landed is popular to some as it can pass on to future generations...however, youngsters dun tink tat way anymore

jlrx
13-05-10, 17:01
I used to have this thinking and didn't understand why anyone would spend on a condo unit when a landed property cost the same. Then I saw how inconsiderate house owners tore down semi-detached houses at Tanjong Katong Rd (opposite to One Amber) and at Mountbatten Rd, and replace these houses with some monstrosities. If I were the owner of the other semi-detached house, I would cringe and cry as my property value would suffer. Who would want to buy a semi-detached house that is completely overwhelmed by the other half?

On the contrary, the other semi-detached's value will rise. It will help prospective buyers visualise what they can do if they rebuild.

Reporter
13-05-10, 17:42
most youngsters prefer condo den landed nowadays...tats the trend.

landed is popular to some as it can pass on to future generations...however, youngsters dun tink tat way anymore
It's the lifestyles they have. Unless the landed they buy has a pool, otherwise where are they going to swim?

I believe passing land to the next generation is important but "where are you going swim" is even more important. In my opinion, landed with pools should be the highly-sought-after properties - not some basic landed houses.

devilplate
13-05-10, 18:01
It's the lifestyles they have. Unless the landed they buy has a pool, otherwise where are they going to swim?

I believe passing land to the next generation is important but "where are you going swim" is even more important. In my opinion, landed with pools should be the highly-sought-after properties - not some basic landed houses.

i guess tats our common goal in life isnt it? A nice GCB with own 25m lap(or even 50m) pool and garden

i ever see a bungalow fitted a 25m lap pool nicely b4

august
13-05-10, 20:02
i guess tats our common goal in life isnt it? A nice GCB with own 25m lap(or even 50m) pool and garden

i ever see a bungalow fitted a 25m lap pool nicely b4

25m lap pool no point lor, wont be able to hv a proper lap swim... might as well swim at 50m public pool.

condo does have advantage in facilites, but need to share of cos.

Komo
13-05-10, 21:23
I go for Esta.
My impression of MCL land is they really consider every detail and design with own stay in mind. If there is any particular feature not as good in a unit as compared to the others (in the same project), they'll "compensate" with a better design or feature in another part of the unit. In this way each unit has its plus and minus.

urban
13-05-10, 21:50
I went for a viewing for a 4 bedder unit in Esta. I find the ceiling a bit low.

Property_Owner
14-05-10, 00:42
bought both but i still prefer esta. good points are been posted.

Komo
14-05-10, 21:04

Any idea what is height measurement?
It looks like about 1 floor higher than HDB, e.g. it's 6th floor eqv to about HBD's 7th floor. I believe this is about the normal condo height. If not mistaken, it's about 2.9m vs HDB 2.2m.

urban
14-05-10, 21:38
Any idea what is height measurement?
It looks like about 1 floor higher than HDB, e.g. it's 6th floor eqv to about HBD's 7th floor. I believe this is about the normal condo height. If not mistaken, it's about 2.9m vs HDB 2.2m.

It feels shorter than 3m for sure. Maybe not even 2.9m.

jlrx
14-05-10, 21:57
bought both but i still prefer esta. good points are been posted.

Now I know what the green dots mean ... they're the properties in East Coast bought by Property_Owner! :scared-4:

http://www.myalbum.com/Photo-ZWDTQNX7-D.jpg

jc
17-05-10, 23:11

Did u measure the floor to ceiling height or just "feel" or measure with eyes? I believe it is at least 2.8m? Can anyone verify what is the floor to ceiling height?

urban
18-05-10, 06:13
Did u measure the floor to ceiling height or just "feel" or measure with eyes? I believe it is at least 2.8m? Can anyone verify what is the floor to ceiling height?

It is just a feeling I got. I may be wrong, so would be good if someone enlightens.

teddybear
18-05-10, 09:42
What is the height of those new condos now? It used to be at least 2.9x-3m but seems to be shorter and shorter for the newer launch now.

ProperT
18-05-10, 19:03
Measured floor to ceiling height - exactly 2.9M!

Komo
18-05-10, 20:51
I'm on the dot. Anything lower might as well buy HDB.
But I don't think that ceiling height is stated in the specs of any condo development. So I guess developer can always short change at will.:(

Douk
18-05-10, 21:29
2.9 is quite a good height, isnt it?

jc
19-05-10, 00:12
Measured floor to ceiling height - exactly 2.9M!

Thank you :)

blackpepperj
20-05-10, 11:52
I prefer ESTA for the layout.

Was at the OA showflat years back and i felt that the layout was a wee bit of a tight squeeze.

To add on about the surrounding area, I find myself getting stuck in traffic on my way to Parkway Parade after work. Takes me 10mins to reach Tanjong Katong exit on ECP from town yet get stuck in traffic queue for another 10mins just to reach the roundabout outside Silversea.

Douk
20-05-10, 17:26
I prefer ESTA for the layout.

Was at the OA showflat years back and i felt that the layout was a wee bit of a tight squeeze.

To add on about the surrounding area, I find myself getting stuck in traffic on my way to Parkway Parade after work. Takes me 10mins to reach Tanjong Katong exit on ECP from town yet get stuck in traffic queue for another 10mins just to reach the roundabout outside Silversea.

it is easier to go by marine parade exit to Parkway.

devilplate
20-05-10, 17:42
To me, esta=OA....y is there a need to compare...:beats-me-man:

both shd command similar psf for similar perceived facing.

Other den cote d azur, The Seaview is premium! :D :D :D

Blue
21-05-10, 10:49
No need to compare, $1500 psf is coming soon for both developments!

ppty
21-05-10, 16:41
No need to compare, $1500 psf is coming soon for both developments!

Dream on..... go check OA quality, layout , etc - n see if u r willing to
pay 1500psf yourself.....

Blue
21-05-10, 17:30
Dream on..... go check OA quality, layout , etc - n see if u r willing to
pay 1500psf yourself.....

There are worst I have seen in other developments and other so called prime locations, and pple willing to pay $2000 psf! :doh:

teddybear
21-05-10, 21:18
The difference is that those are in "prime locations" mah so $2000 psf also considered cheap. :D It is the land in that location that has value, not the building itself. Even if OA or Esta with golden tap & toilet bowl and diamond studded door knob also cannot transact at $2000 psf. :hornybastard:

There are worst I have seen in other developments and other so called prime locations, and pple willing to pay $2000 psf! :doh:

Blue
24-05-10, 10:47
The difference is that those are in "prime locations" mah so $2000 psf also considered cheap. :D It is the land in that location that has value, not the building itself. Even if OA or Esta with golden tap & toilet bowl and diamond studded door knob also cannot transact at $2000 psf. :hornybastard:

Go and dig yourself a hole in Fort Canning Hill, it's prime and cost nothing! :D

Laguna
24-05-10, 13:58
Grading of projects in Amber area
One Amber : 6/10
Esta : 7/10
The Seaview : 9/10

Singers Property
26-05-10, 12:25
Guys - Got my keys. high floor stack 13. Excellent view - pocket sea, city and low rise houses almost panoramic!! Some issues with finishing on wooden flooring but developer to sort out.
Overall lay-out of the unit pretty good as well - 1302sq ft.
I saw quite a few units at Esta and even spent time walking around the condo.

I feel One Amber is much better (even though I may be biased since I've bought a unit at OA). Reason being (i) More space between towers, (ii) better facade, (iii) much better view.

After 1 year, finishing etc will all be sorted out and then the factors I mentioned above come into play so I would prefer OA for personal stay.

Seeing the floorplans, I do understand lay-out of some units not too good. However even in Esta there were some lay-out issues - big balconies with too much space wastage. But overall Esta lay-out maybe better. however given the 3 factors above, I prefer OA.

My 2cents.

devilplate
26-05-10, 12:33
Guys - Got my keys. high floor stack 13. Excellent view - pocket sea, city and low rise houses almost panoramic!! Some issues with finishing on wooden flooring but developer to sort out.

I feel One Amber is much better (even though I may be biased since I've bought a unit at OA). Reason being (i) More space between towers, (ii) better facade, (iii) much better view.

After 1 year, finishing etc will all be sorted out and then the factors I mentioned above come into play so I would prefer OA for personal stay.

Seeing the floorplans, I do understand lay-out of some units not too good. However even in Esta there were some lay-out issues - big balconies with too much space wastage. But overall Esta lay-out maybe better. however given the 3 factors above, I prefer OA.

My 2cents.

congrats...as long u r happy..$ is well spent!

Komo
26-05-10, 21:07

My 2cents.

Hi, from the floor plan I noticed that that bedroom 2 & 3 have quite wide bay windows. Are the rooms large enough for 2 single beds? Thanks!

jc
26-05-10, 22:12

My 2cents.
Obviously OA has more space between the towers because there are only 4 towers. But OA has minimum space between the units like 6 to 7 units per floor.

Stk 13 has nice view, but unless one doesn't mind not to be in the Master room or bedroom in the afternoon.

It is not true Esta has big balconies, those are ok. Have u seen The Sea View balcony?

Space is wasted in the foyer area upon entry into the unit for stk 13. But overall one of the better layout compared to the rest of the 3 bedroom. But cannot be compared to Esta in terms of space efficiency & layout.

Congrats for your new home :)

Btw, do share if we can put a queen size bed in the common rooms. Tks.

Komo
26-05-10, 23:00
From the floor plan, it seems that Esta (smallest 3br 1313 sqft) has no problem squeezing 2 single beds or a queen size bed in the common bedrooms. OA seems to be able to at most squeeze in a large single bed. It's floor plan showig 2 pillows seems to be mis-leading.

mantrix
26-05-10, 23:07
IMO esta offers more bang for buck - better layout and furnishing.

Komo
26-05-10, 23:10
IMO esta offers more bang for buck - better layout and furnishing.

So far I have quite good impression of MCL land.

DC33_2008
27-05-10, 08:22
Can you post the photos?

My 2cents.

weez911
27-05-10, 12:22
Esta has quite a large area devoted to walkway/corridor in the individual unit. The living room is long and narrow.. The bathroom finish is not of good quality and the balcony is quite large. I would prefer to buy an OA unit after comparing the 2 projects.

Just a personal opinion. I have not bought any unit yet.

Singers Property
27-05-10, 13:11
Guys thanks for all your comments.

Here is my reply.

Smaller bedrooms - Yes they are small because bay window is quite big. Will be trying to fit queen size bed in one of them. Will let you guys know. I think it will be really tight but as long as cupboards can open should be ok.

# of houses per floor - 6 but seem reasonably spaced out and 3 lifts. Only when I start living will figure out whether it's a real nuisance.

Photos - Will put up photos on Monday. Overall view was better than I thought it to be. I like unblocked view and given corner stack the view is really good from balcony and all the 3 rooms. Can see sea from 2 guest rooms and balcony. City view from master bedroom.

Space - Living area has good space but bedrooms small.

weez911
27-05-10, 13:41
Hi Singers Property, I think you have got the best stack in OA. I'm looking that stack too because it has sea, city and katong view.

Too bad owners are all looking at 1350psf to 1400psf for very high floor.

devilplate
27-05-10, 13:45
Hi Singers Property, I think you have got the best stack in OA. I'm looking that stack too because it has sea, city and katong view.

but tat stack got direct noon sun rite? shd be stack 13?

i was analysing the site plan last mth...i was being offered stack 8 tat time...aso got some noon sun and facing busy mountbatten rd

Singers Property
27-05-10, 14:44
Yup has noon sun. That's one disadvantage.
However in OA I think it has the best unblocked view of katong, city and sea. Its a trade off depending on personal preference.

devilplate
27-05-10, 18:21
Yup has noon sun. That's one disadvantage.
However in OA I think it has the best unblocked view of katong, city and sea. Its a trade off depending on personal preference.

just install top grade clear solar flim :)

DC33_2008
27-05-10, 20:44
just install top grade clear solar flim :)

Clear solar film may not be good enough. The existing window has to be replaced with low-e double glazed glass if you look at the data below:

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m356/DC33_2008/SolarRadiationE_W_facade.jpg

jc
28-05-10, 15:28
Esta has quite a large area devoted to walkway/corridor in the individual unit. The living room is long and narrow.. The bathroom finish is not of good quality and the balcony is quite large. I would prefer to buy an OA unit after comparing the 2 projects.

Just a personal opinion. I have not bought any unit yet.

In terms of walkway/corridor poor uitilization of space, OA is much worse. Study the floor plan in more detail & u would notice. Living room long & narrow? What r u talking abt? Esta living/dining room layout is similar to Ardmore Park which is wide & allow for maximum light to come into the unit even during dining. Large balcony for Esta? Why don't u measure the balcony size of the units & find out the percentage/proportion of balcony to total unit size b4 concluding.

I respect that u prefer OA to Esta. But pls try not to be too biased in your opinion. Tks.

mantrix
28-05-10, 17:29
In terms of walkway/corridor poor uitilization of space, OA is much worse. Study the floor plan in more detail & u would notice. Living room long & narrow? What r u talking abt? Esta living/dining room layout is similar to Ardmore Park which is wide & allow for maximum light to come into the unit even during dining. Large balcony for Esta? Why don't u measure the balcony size of the units & find out the percentage/proportion of balcony to total unit size b4 concluding.

I respect that u prefer OA to Esta. But pls try not to be too biased in your opinion. Tks.

Like I said before I would prefer layout of Esta to OA - better spaced. One has to imagine living there first (or actually live there) to draw a fair comparison.

weez911
29-05-10, 00:37

Erm, if I cannot be biased with my own opinion (your last sentence) - as you have said this is my own opinion - are you going to sue me?

To pacify you, Esta is the best condo in Singapore, again my own opinion. Nothing comes close.

Blue
01-06-10, 16:44
Without any vested interest in either, I personally find that Esta looks like HDB while OA with a lot of glass facades looks more upclass :cool:

Laguna
02-06-10, 07:33
Without any vested interest in either, I personally find that Esta looks like HDB while OA with a lot of glass facades looks more upclass :cool:
Well, ur not staying in, else u will hate all the glasses when come to cleaning and the dirty look in months time

DC33_2008
02-06-10, 08:25

You get a lot more heat into the apt with glazing unless they are low-e glass.

Blue
02-06-10, 10:58
Well, ur not staying in, else u will hate all the glasses when come to cleaning and the dirty look in months time

I dunno where you get this concept from.

Brick wall gets dirty easily after heavy rain, and paint will also crack under heat. You look at some of the 2 yrs old condo development, and you will know.

Glass, on the other hand, is easy to maintain, just spray water on it to wash away the dust. And the overall facade will always look new.

Blue
02-06-10, 11:04
You get a lot more heat into the apt with glazing unless they are low-e glass.

Thats why you need to choose a unit with good layout and facing. It should have unblocked view facing in line with the wind direction and well ventilated allowing for wind to flow in and out. Typically, wind in Singapore comes from 2directions: NE (Year end and beginning) and SW (mid year).

This is good fengshui too!

teddybear
02-06-10, 12:58
Glass also can get dirty after rain, but worse still let more heat & noise come through. Even worse, glass transparent so dirts outside so obvious, whereas dirts outside wall nobody can see from within the house. Have you stayed in condo before? You think you can spray water onto the outside of your house? Free rain fall for residents below? :scared-1:

Which is worse - Paint crack or GLASS CRACK and the resident falling out of the glass wall?

I dunno where you get this concept from.

Brick wall gets dirty easily after heavy rain, and paint will also crack under heat. You look at some of the 2 yrs old condo development, and you will know.

Glass, on the other hand, is easy to maintain, just spray water on it to wash away the dust. And the overall facade will always look new.

teddybear
02-06-10, 13:02
Never heard in Feng shui that SW is good fengshui? :doh:
Which pai of fengshui are you practising? Your own COLOUR pai? :banghead:

Thats why you need to choose a unit with good layout and facing. It should have unblocked view facing in line with the wind direction and well ventilated allowing for wind to flow in and out. Typically, wind in Singapore comes from 2directions: NE (Year end and beginning) and SW (mid year).

This is good fengshui too!

mantrix
02-06-10, 13:10
Glass also can get dirty after rain, but worse still let more heat & noise come through. Even worse, glass transparent so dirts outside so obvious, whereas dirts outside wall nobody can see from within the house. Have you stayed in condo before? You think you can spray water onto the outside of your house? Free rain fall for residents below? :scared-1:

Which is worse - Paint crack or GLASS CRACK and the resident falling out of the glass wall?

I agree with this because having stayed in a condo with a glass facade I realised the outside gets stained easily thanks to rain and dust - and you can't clean it. It gets cleaned perhaps twice a year, so you have to suck it up and live with it or cover it with blinds (else there will be greenhouse effect)

Thick cool concrete is my preference ;)

weez911
02-06-10, 13:44
I agree with this because having stayed in a condo with a glass facade I realised the outside gets stained easily thanks to rain and dust - and you can't clean it. It gets cleaned perhaps twice a year, so you have to suck it up and live with it or cover it with blinds (else there will be greenhouse effect)

I will prefer as much window as possible, if not the house is no different from a cave.

Cleaning of window can be outsourced to the maid.

Heat can be controlled by good grade window film, like the one from 3M.

That's why I will be buying One Amber.

devilplate
02-06-10, 13:55
but i still prefer glassy facade den all concrete
u see the arte...concrete walls so much...nice meh?

devilplate
02-06-10, 13:56
stay HDB lor..lots of concrete...mostly no baywindow somemore...keep out the sunlight

devilplate
02-06-10, 13:58
go buy cassia view...lots of concrete...hahaha

weez911
02-06-10, 14:03
Are you implying esta = HDB? You will get flamed from many people here

devilplate
02-06-10, 14:06
did i imply tat...no lor

esta dun look like HDB la...got more glass leh

esta=OA...and no point comparing

for me, The Seaview anytime!

weez911
02-06-10, 14:10
Silversea is slightly nicer than Seaview..

But esta is the best condo in singapore.

mantrix
02-06-10, 14:13
I will prefer as much window as possible, if not the house is no different from a cave.

Cleaning of window can be outsourced to the maid.

Heat can be controlled by good grade window film, like the one from 3M.

That's why I will be buying One Amber.

I'm not talking about windows here - and as for outsourcing to a maid - there are places way out of reach on the outside which can't be cleaned. My point is that there should be a balance and not too much glass - still you are already vested in OA so I rest my case.

mantrix
02-06-10, 14:22
Silversea is slightly nicer than Seaview..

But esta is the best condo in singapore.

I believe Silversea to be the best in terms of design and functionality.

However with 1700psf and being positioned as a premium development we won't be comparing apple to apple.

devilplate
02-06-10, 14:23
but i drive past tat area, i feels OA facade stands out from the rest including the seaview...u see MBR, the Sail..all full glass facade and price keep increasing and they r one of the most exp 99LH ppty in SG

not sure about silversea, we shall comment when it TOP

weez911
02-06-10, 14:25
I believe Silversea to be the best in terms of design and functionality.

However with 1700psf and being positioned as a premium development we won't be comparing apple to apple.

Aalto is selling at 2000+psf. Is Aalto a durian?

Esta is still the best.

weez911
02-06-10, 14:26
but i drive past tat area, i feels OA facade stands out from the rest including the seaview...u see MBR, the Sail..all full glass facade and price keep increasing and they r one of the most exp 99LH ppty in SG

OA does not have as many glass facade as MRB, Sail, Seascape. It's a pity..

Property_Owner
02-06-10, 14:27

that stack best west sun leh

mantrix
02-06-10, 14:30
Aalto is selling at 2000+psf. Is Aalto a durian?

Esta is still the best.

You sound like you are an Esta owner (else a sarcastic OA owner)

To each his own I say. OA may stand out more due to glass but I was comparing in terms of living...

weez911
02-06-10, 14:31
that stack best west sun leh

Esta got no sun, cos it is north-south facing, that's why half of the residents got "pool" view - units all facing each other.

Thanks, I will prefer the Sun if the view is not my neighbour.

teddybear
02-06-10, 15:04
Wah, based on your analogy Ardmore Park with so much concrete walls and so little glass (including the windows so small) should be dropping and worth only $1k psf! Some Ardmore Park owners please sell to me at $1k psf because your property too little glass and has value that can only drop! :D

weez911
02-06-10, 15:13
Wah, based on your analogy Ardmore Park with so much concrete walls and so little glass (including the windows so small) should be dropping and worth only $1k psf! Some Ardmore Park owners please sell to me at $1k psf because your property too little glass and has value that can only drop! :D

Why people in this thread like to compare Esta to Ardmore Park ah?

Obviously Esta is better right?!?

teddybear
02-06-10, 15:50
:jaw-dropping::axekiller::tongue2:

Why people in this thread like to compare Esta to Ardmore Park ah?

Obviously Esta is better right?!?

devilplate
02-06-10, 15:59
aiya...u all very hard to please...the arte looks like concrete block...ppl complain ugly...glass more mordern..u all say trap heat and hard to maintain

its like NS facing some say dark and things get mouldy

too windy , some say dusty

no wind, some say HOT

facing sea, some say utensils corrodes

HAIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

hahahahaha

Laguna
02-06-10, 19:26
My India lawyer neighbour at The Seaview, as tenancy expiring soon, went to see Esta, OA. And decided to stay put for the resort living in The Seaveiw and its practical layout and most important, speacious where Esta and OA is nowhere near to it.

When these 3 projects were in the market in 2006, OA was the slowest moving. (The Seaview launched first). Reason being, unit layout, orientation. It is only when Esta all cleared, then OA started to move.

I think, this talk of OA or Esta shall come to close as all personal choice

devilplate
02-06-10, 19:30
My India lawyer neighbour at The Seaview, as tenancy expiring soon, went to see Esta, OA. And decided to stay put for the resort living in The Seaveiw and its practical layout and most important, speacious where Esta and OA is nowhere near to it.

When these 3 projects were in the market in 2006, OA was the slowest moving. (The Seaview launched first). Reason being, unit layout, orientation. It is only when Esta all cleared, then OA started to move.

I think, this talk of OA or Esta shall come to close as all personal choice

yeah, the seaview sold out very fast...OA take many mths to sell out

u r right

Blue
04-06-10, 15:19

Glass crack? Wat a joker!

Maybe your cage is using 5mm thick glass, thats y you managed to escape! :p

Blue
04-06-10, 15:25

Wait till u move to a new building with lots of concrete, only 2 years old but look like 10 yrs old because of paint weathering especially on white painted concrete. What is more expensive to maintain and upkeep? Cleaning glass or repainting the concrete walls?

Too much concrete wouldn't resemble jail cell meh? :D

mantrix
04-06-10, 15:32
Wait till u move to a new building with lots of concrete, only 2 years old but look like 10 yrs old because of paint weathering especially on white painted concrete. What is more expensive to maintain and upkeep? Cleaning glass or repainting the concrete walls?

It's easy for concrete to look after painted - and repainting is usually 5 years.

Glass, once stained (yes, after some time they do stain internally, especially if they are think) is hard to restore.

True it is cheaper alternative to have glass, hence more condos have that nowadays. But they will contribute to greenhouse effect whether you like it or not.

Guess at end of day it's a matter of preference - I'll rather live more comfortably but suffer a less aesthetic facade as opposed to the converse.

weez911
04-06-10, 16:00
mantrix, you are very powerful in english. I wish I can write like you.

you are confirmed esta supporter! big time supporter!!!

teddybear
04-06-10, 16:35
Even if the developer give you 20mm thick glass wall, they will still easy crack after 20 years or so in the hot and humid weather in Singapore, especially if the glass panel is bigger in size (Bigger glass panels crack more easily than smaller panels).
Potential owners, be warned. Never never buy a property with lots of glass walls after 10 years old unless the seller replace all the glass walls first. :p

Glass crack? Wat a joker!

Maybe your cage is using 5mm thick glass, thats y you managed to escape! :p

weez911
04-06-10, 16:37
teddybear you are a big time esta supporter too! You and mantrix are on the same side, but mantrix has more powerful english!

teddybear
04-06-10, 16:44
You don't know what is called "emulsion paint"? You condo so cheap skate use lousy paint that is why 2 years old look like 10 years old?

Cleaning of glass not expensive mah? Go try cleaning the big panel of glass walls outside your private property and see whether you can clean or not?
Go get somebody to clean for you and see how much they charge?

Glass walls don't resemble the "gold-fish" tank that people go to view in Holland red-light district mah? Can see so clearly to check the "good" first. :scared-1:

Wait till you need to replace all the "glass walls" and you will know what is called expensive! :tongue3:

devilplate
04-06-10, 17:22
y dun say earthquake den glass shatter:D :D :D

teddybear
04-06-10, 19:08
Wah, your memory so good! You remind me of the tremor from earth quake in Indonesia previously was also felt in Cantonment and East Coast areas and they have vibrating buildings and shaking chandeliers. Think the tremor will also cause weakening of the big panel of glass (the bigger the glass panel, the easier it is crack at shorter life span), making it crack more easily and with shorter life span. :D

y dun say earthquake den glass shatter:D :D :D

mantrix
04-06-10, 19:12
mantrix, you are very powerful in english. I wish I can write like you.

you are confirmed esta supporter! big time supporter!!!

Sorry Wee my last paragraph had plenty of missing words and spelling mistakes (cause i sent using my blackberry) so hope you were not being sarcastic.

I am not vested at all in district 15 - just offering my opinion that was all - was not expecting a barrage of defenses - anyway must reiterate to each his own lah :)

my case is closed and peace out - as long as you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters.

Komo
04-06-10, 21:14
Even if the developer give you 20mm thick glass wall, they will still easy crack after 20 years or so in the hot and humid weather in Singapore, especially if the glass panel is bigger in size (Bigger glass panels crack more easily than smaller panels).
Potential owners, be warned. Never never buy a property with lots of glass walls after 10 years old unless the seller replace all the glass walls first. :p

How about balcony with glass panels?
I always doubt how safe and how lasting they can be.

teddybear
04-06-10, 21:45
You are right, they won't last. However, we don't depend on the balcony glass panels to shield us from the outside rain & shine like those glass panel wall. Imagine you have a shattered glass panel wall and you need to wait for your contractor to find get the panel fix for you and it takes 5 days? 5 days without "wall" and your kids moving around in the house 4 storey or more up in the sky? (where when they fall they have little chance of survival?) :banghead:

How about balcony with glass panels?
I always doubt how safe and how lasting they can be.

Blue
07-06-10, 10:33

This is totally Bull Shit. :tsk-tsk: So all the CBD white collars should wear safety helmet to work cos most of the buildings' external facades are made of glass and will crack anytime under heat and humid.

Blue
07-06-10, 10:37
It's easy for concrete to look after painted - and repainting is usually 5 years.

Glass, once stained (yes, after some time they do stain internally, especially if they are think) is hard to restore.

True it is cheaper alternative to have glass, hence more condos have that nowadays. But they will contribute to greenhouse effect whether you like it or not.

Guess at end of day it's a matter of preference - I'll rather live more comfortably but suffer a less aesthetic facade as opposed to the converse.

R u referring to HDB - repainting every 5 years? If you are talking abt private, your maintenance funds can hardly pay for the lift and pool maintenance! :doh:

teddybear
07-06-10, 11:15
Commercial buildings landlords have regular maintenance and checks and will replace these glass walls before they even have a chance to crack (as it is easier to pinpoint who to get the fine & not worth it for these landlords as commercial buildings get income which can in turn be used to fix the problem (such costs already in the rent)).
On the other hand, Private condos once in MC hands tend to save & scrimp because no owners want to pay more for the benefits of just some owners only. You won't see the whole condo have a mass facade glass walls replacements. :o
Individual owners will have to fork out the money for their own replacements when the time comes. On the other hand, buyers can either ask owners to replace or deduct the replacement costs from selling price. (Wah! Like that how to sell at a good price?) :p

This is totally Bull Shit. :tsk-tsk: So all the CBD white collars should wear safety helmet to work cos most of the buildings' external facades are made of glass and will crack anytime under heat and humid.

teddybear
07-06-10, 11:20
Mostly glass facade wall don't need to paint? Still have some areas that need painting (on top of the cleaning of the outside of the glass facade walls). Wonder how long those condos with mostly glass facade walls do the cleaning of glass walls? 5-7 years once as well on top of painting? Wah! Additional costs! Will see these condos have maintenance fund increasing even more otherwise cannot even have extra money to maintain pool and lifts! Furthermore, not to say wait for 5-7 years to clean the glass facade walls, even 1 month also will be dirty like hell when you see from inside! :banghead:
Oh by the way, for commercial & office buildings, I always see them cleaning the outside glass facade walls at least once every 6 months. Can condos do that? :tongue3:

R u referring to HDB - repainting every 5 years? If you are talking abt private, your maintenance funds can hardly pay for the lift and pool maintenance! :doh:

urban
07-06-10, 11:23
Actually, i do not thinkg there is a lot more glass used than normal for One Amber.

Miow
07-06-10, 11:55
Actually, i do not thinkg there is a lot more glass used than normal for One Amber.

You must be kidding. it's obvious the condo is substantially glass. I think if you get pics of condos that went TOP since 2000, you would clearly see how condos in Singapore transformed. I complained about The Esta having too much glass, One Amber has more glass than The Esta. All the bathrooms are see-through glass! I would make a lot of money if I could do bulk supply of blinds to One Amber owners.

devilplate
07-06-10, 12:20
den u go do curtain biz lor...gd $

urban
07-06-10, 12:34
You must be kidding. it's obvious the condo is substantially glass. I think if you get pics of condos that went TOP since 2000, you would clearly see how condos in Singapore transformed. I complained about The Esta having too much glass, One Amber has more glass than The Esta. All the bathrooms are see-through glass! I would make a lot of money if I could do bulk supply of blinds to One Amber owners.

I see you have used a 10-year horizon.
The old Amber Gardens were built using a lot more concrete.

devilplate
07-06-10, 13:30
might as well compare to HDB

silver023
07-06-10, 15:21
might as well compare to HDB

Interesting. I was just at Duxton over the weekend and thought that the walls in the bedrooms would have been made full height windows (instead of concrete walls) if the place was an apart/condo.

acewee
07-06-10, 21:56
Just wondering, don't these new developments that have glass facade also have those external gondolas that can be lowered from the roof for cleaning?

devilplate
08-06-10, 01:15
Just wondering, don't these new developments that have glass facade also have those external gondolas that can be lowered from the roof for cleaning?

i suppose it depends on individual condo mgmt?

usually they will employ pro-cleaners to do the job every 2yrs or so...and they will clean ur windows as well.. for boutique apts...dun hf for sure...:D

anw, last time condo mgmt will only start collecting sinking fund after 3yrs...nowadays collect after 1yr :beats-me-man:

DC33_2008
08-06-10, 09:13
If you look at the different generation of private condos/apartments, glass facade has been becoming more popular. it has its pros and cons which some of you here have mentioned. HDB is still going for concrete because they have the volume and precast is faster and more economic for them. Architect has used a lot more glass now as people prefers good view and the small units will look bigger with glass than with concrete, brick or block walls. The only problem glass facade should be used at the right place and right type of glass should be chosen. Otherwise, consumers like ourselves will suffer in the long run. Design and build right should be the strategy.

Miow
08-06-10, 11:19
If you look at the different generation of private condos/apartments, glass facade has been becoming more popular. it has its pros and cons which some of you here have mentioned. HDB is still going for concrete because they have the volume and precast is faster and more economic for them. Architect has used a lot more glass now as people prefers good view and the small units will look bigger with glass than with concrete, brick or block walls. The only problem glass facade should be used at the right place and right type of glass should be chosen. Otherwise, consumers like ourselves will suffer in the long run. Design and build right should be the strategy.

Developers are only interested in making more profits. If glass is cheaper, that's what they use, even in wrong places! You think the developer of One Amber didn't realise it was stupid to use full-length clear glass for bathroom walls? Of course they knew.

DC33_2008
08-06-10, 11:38
Developers are only interested in making more profits. If glass is cheaper, that's what they use, even in wrong places! You think the developer of One Amber didn't realise it was stupid to use full-length clear glass for bathroom walls? Of course they knew.

Once I went to my friend's condo and saw the silhouette of the person behind the blinds and could see through the gap between the edge of two blinds. So, spend more money on the blinds and get a real good one. The bathroom is like a translucent light bulb at night.

focus
08-06-10, 12:20
Once I went to my friend's condo and saw the silhouette of the person behind the blinds and could see through the gap between the edge of two blinds. So, spend more money on the blinds and get a real good one. The bathroom is like a translucent light bulb at night.

Is it possible to darken the bathroom windows totally using window films?

devilplate
08-06-10, 14:43
Is it possible to darken the bathroom windows totally using window films?

best is to frost it and put roller blinds if u really scare ppl see ur wifey bathing..:D

Miow
08-06-10, 15:51
i suppose it depends on individual condo mgmt?

usually they will employ pro-cleaners to do the job every 2yrs or so...and they will clean ur windows as well.. for boutique apts...dun hf for sure...:D

anw, last time condo mgmt will only start collecting sinking fund after 3yrs...nowadays collect after 1yr :beats-me-man:

That's exactly what happened at The Esta. One year after TOP, the condo mgmt proposed a sinking fund starting with a 70% hike in monthly maintenance fees! Needless to say, it was rejected by the condo owners.

teddybear
08-06-10, 16:08
The problem is that this can be rejected, and then the condo will fall into dis-repair because of insufficient funds for maintaining the estate in clean and nice condition. :banghead:

That's exactly what happened at The Esta. One year after TOP, the condo mgmt proposed a sinking fund starting with a 70% hike in monthly maintenance fees! Needless to say, it was rejected by the condo owners.

devilplate
08-06-10, 17:20
70% hike too much la

my experience is always 50-100 buck increase only...:D

amk
08-06-10, 17:25
You think the developer of One Amber didn't realise it was stupid to use full-length clear glass for bathroom walls? Of course they knew.

really ? they use *clear* glass ? :eek:

hmmm this is Mr Wee's UOL right .... ?

devilplate
08-06-10, 17:27
many developers using clear glass windows in the bathrooms with baywindows somemore

aiya..just frost it..dun cost much..no big deal

when not using the bathroom..open up the windows and let the sun shines in..bathroom feels and smell better:D

august
08-06-10, 20:54
many developers using clear glass windows in the bathrooms with baywindows somemore

aiya..just frost it..dun cost much..no big deal

when not using the bathroom..open up the windows and let the sun shines in..bathroom feels and smell better:D
u will need approval as it may affect the condo's outer facade.

focus
08-06-10, 22:31
best is to frost it and put roller blinds if u really scare ppl see ur wifey bathing..:D

I'm scared they see me bathing and doing unfathomable things to themselves during the peep show.. :p

focus
08-06-10, 22:50
I'm scared they see me bathing and doing unfathomable things to themselves during the peep show.. :p

Maybe I miscommunicated... nothing dirty here...
like people guauging out their eyes when they see something dirty.. puking.. etc etc... I'm not exactly a beauty ...

Miow
10-06-10, 11:42
really ? they use *clear* glass ? :eek:

hmmm this is Mr Wee's UOL right .... ?

So? UOL is very much a local company.

teddybear
16-06-10, 20:54
These almost full clad glass buildings - Design and build wrongly. That is the opinion of Architect Mr Tay Kheng Soon, who had a SIA (Singapore Institute of Architects) Gold Medal Award.
He said this in The Straits Times on 12 June 2010:
"He reasons that local developers' preference for using foreign architects and the current trend of building glass and steel structures in Singapore's tropical climate are due to an inferiority complex".
"On glass buildings, he declares that they are "damn stupid - just quote me on that - but they are stylishly stupid"".

Stupid to build such full clad glass buildings in tropical climate like in Singapore? May be not if the developers can sit and watch naked ladies bathing in the full-glass wall bathroom? May be not if can help contractors to generate more revenue since such glass buildings need more thermal insulation, turn on air-con all year round (more frequent air-con maintenance), more chance to replace these big glass panels when they crack and can charge much more than just plain windows (of smaller glass panels) etc? :o

Wild Falcon
16-06-10, 21:28
Agree with Tay Kheng Soon's views. Nowadays every condo has all glass facade cum long narrow corridor design. 99% of new launch got the LONG CORRIDOR design. I feel like asking the developers to wake up their idea. Who wants to live in a long house with no depth? All glass and steel in our tropical climate? Sometimes I see these all glass structure being touted as "green" buildings and I really want to laugh.

Must check out his home/office at Dairy Farm to see got glass or not :)

Blue
17-06-10, 10:43
If you like concrete so much, just walk naked in Orchard Road, then you end up in a all four walls concrete home with a small window called the Singapore Prison. It's free, no need to pay $2000 psf, plus food and clothings all provided. No maintenance too! And you work out in the fields daily like in a gym. :D

devilplate
17-06-10, 10:46
concrete best!!!

den HDB undervalued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

weez911
18-06-10, 11:40
teddybear and wild falcon are big time Esta supporters!

They must have at least 3 units each in Esta!

Long live Esta! and Glory to Concrete!

pawkb69
09-10-15, 15:03
OA has great facilities, landscape and "Unique Selling Point" layout. It looks stylish and provides a wonderful first impression. To top it up, it is much closer to future MRT Station and with all these pluses ... it will command a better ROI compared with Esta.