PDA

View Full Version : Telok Kurau - Value buy?

Regulators
11-05-10, 13:39
I never used to think of Telok Kurau as being ideal for investment, but again with Freehold land getting scarcer, TK seems to look more attractive. Again, there is a height limit to developments in that area which makes it less ideal for future en blocs and the fact that there is no mrt also makes it less accessible. I can only see 5 main draws to the place:
1) largely freehold land
2) near good schools like tao nan
3) near east coast beach
4) exclusive private residential area
5) lower psf compared to full condos in that area like amber rd, tanjong rhu etc

Would like to hear what you guys think of this area

Wild Falcon
11-05-10, 13:50
For investment or own stay? since you listed the positive points, I'll list the negative ones.

1. very cluttered - not healthy for owners occupier
2. no privacy - neighbouring apartment will look directly into your unit
3. poor facilities - as mentioned below. swimming pool is more like bathutb
4. quality of units - most developers are budget hotel Fragrance/H81 type - so design and quality also looks like budget hotel
5. very hot because of how closely the units built together.
6. large supply because a few terrace house become 50 units of apartments
7. new developments by Fragrance are almost all mickey mouse doghouse units - not sure if u will get desirable tenants in the future
8. some apartments there are rented to Chinese PRCs who are in the vice trade.
9. low quantum apartments to bring up PSF (u go propertyguru and filter by private property <500k and only 2 places appear - Geylang and Telok Kurau), in short, not sure what sort of neighbours u get - those who die die must stay condo type but budget less than $500k?
10. But #9 above can also be a positive point in the sense if developers only sell mickey mouse in that area, may bring up the PSF rapidly (albeit artificially with those tiny units)
11. Some of the cubik box are really realy ugly - worse than HDB flats.

I never used to think of Telok Kurau as being ideal for investment, but again with Freehold land getting scarcer, TK seems to look more attractive. Again, there is a height limit to developments in that area which makes it less ideal for future en blocs and the fact that there is no mrt also makes it less accessible. I can only see 5 main draws to the place:
1) largely freehold land
3) near east coast beach
5) lower psf compared to full condos in that area like amber rd, tanjong rhu etc

tericia
11-05-10, 14:20
1) largely freehold land
3) near east coast beach

Hi Regulators, Tao Nan is moving away.

eng81157
11-05-10, 14:27

temporarily though, till their renovations are done

Regulators
11-05-10, 14:40
i question the potential coz being in D15 and being able to find relatively new projects at 8xxpsf, it is quite a steal imo. I would think that paying 8xxpsf for a freehold apartment in D15 telok kurau is anytime more justified than buying 99yr The Treehouse in upper bt timah at 9xxpsf, Casa Aereta in Geylang at 1kpsf or the ugly looking Centris in Jurong West extension for 9xxpsf. from an investment perspective, correct me if i am wrong.

eng81157
11-05-10, 14:51
i question the potential coz being in D15 and being able to find relatively new projects at 8xxpsf, it is quite a steal imo. I would think that paying 8xxpsf for a freehold apartment in D15 telok kurau is anytime more justified than buying 99yr The Treehouse in upper bt timah at 9xxpsf, Casa Aereta in Geylang at 1kpsf or the ugly looking Centris in Jurong West extension for 9xxpsf. from an investment perspective, correct me if i am wrong.

if it's for personal stay, i would pick TK amongst all the other options.

treehouse = bukit panjang. upper bukit timah just makes it sound more prestigious and cover up the ulu location of which

casa aereta = maybe buy to rent out to FTs who are getting raided at hotel 81 & fragrance hotels pretty much in recent times

centris = jurong west. the epitome of ulu-ness and not to mention the congregation of FTs at jurong point every weekend "faint"

Regulators
11-05-10, 14:58
talking bout uluness and price mismatch, 2 bedders in Centris are screaming for 8xxk to 900k, something unheard of in jurong in entire history of singapore property. :doh: :doh:

if it's for personal stay, i would pick TK amongst all the other options.

treehouse = bukit panjang. upper bukit timah just makes it sound more prestigious and cover up the ulu location of which

casa aereta = maybe buy to rent out to FTs who are getting raided at hotel 81 & fragrance hotels pretty much in recent times

centris = jurong west. the epitome of ulu-ness and not to mention the congregation of FTs at jurong point every weekend "faint"

bullman
11-05-10, 15:09
I have also observed an increase in investor's interest in the TK area. Look at the recent transactions done in D15 and you will observe for yourself.

I would go for PH units in this area as there is a height restriction. So the PH units at 5th and 6th storey will enjoy relatively unblock views.

I understand that agents/ investors preach that PH units are not value for money due to the roof top balconies, staircase etc but I think that for TK play, one should go for PH to be unblocked, more windy, light etc and the facing is really important here. You will not want something like CV(you guess), that has EW facing PH!

Expats like roof balconies and the lifestyle and PH units move fast in the rental market, although the rental yield may not be as attractive as in a studio or 2 br. :cheers1:

eng81157
11-05-10, 15:11
talking bout uluness and price mismatch, 2 bedders in Centris are screaming for 8xxk to 900k, something unheard of in jurong in entire history of singapore property. :doh: :doh:

u're not joking eh?? is this developer's sale or subsale?

back in 2006/2007, 3BRs from one amber, esta and cote d'azur were going for about 800-900k and it was considered expensive.

now in far far away land, separated from all civilization, the land of ulu-ness personified commands 800-900k for 2BRs???

Regulators
11-05-10, 15:17
if want to buy a ph in tk, then have to do maths liao, find out what u paying for livable space and non-livable space and so whether the gross psf adds up. also have to choose the right lorongs to buy. i think lorong M and N are ok.

I have also observed an increase in investor's interest in the TK area. Look at the recent transactions done in D15 and you will observe for yourself.

I would go for PH units in this area as there is a height restriction. So the PH units at 5th and 6th storey will enjoy relatively unblock views.

I understand that agents/ investors preach that PH units are not value for money due to the roof top balconies, staircase etc but I think that for TK play, one should go for PH to be unblocked, more windy, light etc and the facing is really important here. You will not want something like CV(you guess), that has EW facing PH!

Expats like roof balconies and the lifestyle and PH units move fast in the rental market, although the rental yield may not be as attractive as in a studio or 2 br. :cheers1:

Regulators
11-05-10, 15:21
sorry, it is not 900k for a 2 bedder, it is 950k...:doh: :doh:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1162809/for-sale-the-centris

u're not joking eh?? is this developer's sale or subsale?

back in 2006/2007, 3BRs from one amber, esta and cote d'azur were going for about 800-900k and it was considered expensive.

now in far far away land, separated from all civilization, the land of ulu-ness personified commands 800-900k for 2BRs???

bullman
11-05-10, 15:22
if want to buy a ph in tk, then have to do maths liao, find out what u paying for livable space and non-livable space and so whether the gross psf adds up. also have to choose the right lorongs to buy. i think lorong M and N are ok.

When I buy PH, I normally use the two-third rule usable space rule. But if you look in depth into the TK PHs, its a bit confusing as I observe some owners "reclaim" their roof balconies into extra rooms etc. So its really on a case by case basis. I agree that M and N are still ok for now. Some of the others are really cluttered. Thats why I was looking into developments on the other side of still road but not those that are too near to Joo Chiat.

mcmlxxvi
11-05-10, 15:27
For investment (usually expats), best to have the following for TK:

1. Quiet area (no rowdy neighbours who mahjong or karaoke or crazy dogs)
2. Decent facilities (means no pond as excuse for pool)
3. Reasonable layout (separate kitchen best for expats who love to cook)
4. Balcony a plus (expats like to entertain)
5. Ground floor unit (same reason as 4) for alfresco dining
6. Easy to get a cab right outside the development - means close to major road
7. Close to convenient stores or small eateries with edible food

This effectively narrows down to anything along Lor G or left side of Lor N.

1) largely freehold land
3) near east coast beach

Regulators
11-05-10, 16:05
u vested in tk?

For investment (usually expats), best to have the following for TK:

1. Quiet area (no rowdy neighbours who mahjong or karaoke or crazy dogs)
2. Decent facilities (means no pond as excuse for pool)
3. Reasonable layout (separate kitchen best for expats who love to cook)
4. Balcony a plus (expats like to entertain)
5. Ground floor unit (same reason as 4) for alfresco dining
6. Easy to get a cab right outside the development - means close to major road
7. Close to convenient stores or small eateries with edible food

This effectively narrows down to anything along Lor G or left side of Lor N.

kellogs
11-05-10, 16:55
I bought a 4 bedder along lorong H with open terrace and private pool and that development only has 3/4 bedders :)

It is 7 mins walking distance to Kembangan MRT as well

I guess it is not a bad buy for personal stay

rambo6
11-05-10, 17:16
I bought an apt in Lor N.
Been surveying all the lorongs in TK and find that Lor N to be one of the least cluttered. PLus my apt is near the PArk connector, making accessibility to MRT and East Coast PArk a plus point.
Now eagerly awaiting for TOP in 9mths times.
Hope the developer (Roxy Land) doesn't disappoint in the build & finishing quality.

BtW, FEO owns a big plot along Lor N and have just launched it (The Sound) at around $1500psf.
Luckily, their main entrance faces East Coast Rd, which should not cause traffic issues along Lor N.

eng81157
11-05-10, 17:38
I bought an apt in Lor N.
Been surveying all the lorongs in TK and find that Lor N to be one of the least cluttered. PLus my apt is near the PArk connector, making accessibility to MRT and East Coast PArk a plus point.
Now eagerly awaiting for TOP in 9mths times.
Hope the developer (Roxy Land) doesn't disappoint in the build & finishing quality.

BtW, FEO owns a big plot along Lor N and have just launched it (The Sound) at around $1500psf.
Luckily, their main entrance faces East Coast Rd, which should not cause traffic issues along Lor N.

did u buy the lucent?

rambo6
11-05-10, 17:51
did u buy the lucent?

yes sir,
The Lucent. The Ambrosia was out of budget and also sold out.

eng81157
11-05-10, 19:29
yes sir,
The Lucent. The Ambrosia was out of budget and also sold out.

did u consider the verte? heard there's a park in front of it and it's nearer to kembangan mrt comparatively

kellogs
11-05-10, 19:46
did u consider the verte? heard there's a park in front of it and it's nearer to kembangan mrt comparatively

I bought the verte :)

yes TK park is next to it and minimum of that project is 3 bedders

xebay11
11-05-10, 21:22
I bought a 4 bedder along lorong H with open terrace and private pool and that development only has 3/4 bedders :)

It is 7 mins walking distance to Kembangan MRT as well

I guess it is not a bad buy for personal stay

Good buy, those ppl who don't know this area well will make all negative views, but I find the proximity to MRT and the whole of Singapore by car through the expressway effortless, no where in Singapore can you connect at your door step through PIE, CTE, TPE, ECP, KPE etc, this convenience is priceless. Drive or don't drive. The connector and well placed crossing lights makes it super safe for school children to take MRT by themselves.

Not to mention, Katong, PP and the new Katong Mall all at a stone's throw away and even reachable on foot, so is the best most "happening" part of the East Coast beach by connector, great for keep fit fanatics and holiday resort feel 365 days per year. Cycle and jog all you want anytime 24/7 without worry about cars or smog at the connector and beach.

Also yeah other places may be more classy and up market but also way more expensive, as for the older developments in TK, they will be enbloced slowly. MRT for the other 'better' places in the East? 2020 even then only still planning and investigating soil ????

Cluttered? Why not form a committe to petition LTA to paint double yellow lines throughout the estate.

Go in TK as a starter and if want to upgrade, aim for Frankel or Siglap later :D This area can stay for whole life, you may move out but u will never move away :D :D :D

devilplate
11-05-10, 21:42
zzz..so many agts ard...:doh:

devilplate
11-05-10, 21:45
no core selling point in TK...used to be a nice landed enclave....enbloc craze simply spoil the whole environment. Hopefully, no boutique apts sprouting in next door Frankel.

Lou
11-05-10, 22:10
1) largely freehold land
3) near east coast beach

No offense but I think all your points that you thought of are 'non' points.

1)It is largely FH definately but you are comparing with the terrace & semi-Ds which make up most of the properties there.

2)Tao Nan is not such a good school - nothing compared to schools around Bukit Timah

3)Very subjected to what is near or far

4)agreed no HDB view, but is cluttered, alot of roads no thru road.

5)Comparing apples to orange, sometime things are cheap for a reason.

Hope that helps, but guess you probably know all these already. Maybe it will give other potential telok kurau buyers something to think about.

Wild Falcon
11-05-10, 22:11
Yah. Agents and owners will obviously give biased views lah. I don't think it is fair to compare Telok Kurau with some of the other condos someone mentioned. Have you seen the renderings for Treehouse? How to compare right? It has full facilities with tennis courts, green building, large land area, skating rink or whatever, beautiful view of nature etc. I'm not invested but I think the comparison is ridiculous. A Treehouse person is never going to be a Telok Kurau person - they are just different. You look down on Dairy Farm as "ulu" but those people staying there like the serenity and spaciouness lah. Telok Kurau is the exact opposite - cluttered, small Fragrance-style boxy developments with no real facilities. Also, I used to own a small development in another district and the maintenance is very high and eats into your rental yield if you're looking to rent out.

As I say, I don't see any aesthetics or beauty in the developments there - the worst-looking developments in the entire Singapore are all concentrated there but if you have to stay in D15 and have no budget for anything better and don't mind the quality of the developments then go ahead and buy. Also, if you're a "new" investor with a small budget, then this is probably the only place (other than Geylang) with new launch selling at $300+k or $400k - cheaper than HDB. Go propertyguru and filter for units less than $500k and Telok Kurau will be ranked on top. I'm wary of buying areas with new launch focusing on mickey mouse units though - it just shows even developers have no confidence of selling a normal unit and have to go down the "low quantum less than $500k" route.

Allthepies
11-05-10, 22:22

Actually the price speak for itself. If it is freehold and yet still command only sub $800psf, wat do u think is wrong with that area? :)

Lou
11-05-10, 22:23
Good buy, those ppl who don't know this area well will make all negative views, but I find the proximity to MRT and the whole of Singapore by car through the expressway effortless, no where in Singapore can you connect at your door step through PIE, CTE, TPE, ECP, KPE etc, this convenience is priceless. Drive or don't drive. The connector and well placed crossing lights makes it super safe for school children to take MRT by themselves.

Not to mention, Katong, PP and the new Katong Mall all at a stone's throw away and even reachable on foot, so is the best most "happening" part of the East Coast beach by connector, great for keep fit fanatics and holiday resort feel 365 days per year. Cycle and jog all you want anytime 24/7 without worry about cars or smog at the connector and beach.

Also yeah other places may be more classy and up market but also way more expensive, as for the older developments in TK, they will be enbloced slowly. MRT for the other 'better' places in the East? 2020 even then only still planning and investigating soil ????

Cluttered? Why not form a committe to petition LTA to paint double yellow lines throughout the estate.

Go in TK as a starter and if want to upgrade, aim for Frankel or Siglap later :D This area can stay for whole life, you may move out but u will never move away :D :D :D

No sure what you are attempting to say, you're just being very general.
Driving is "effortless", try taking a drive along Lorong J/Still Road. What is effortless is Tanjong Rhu, Meyer/Ford Rd exit ECP or Tanjong Katong/Amber exit ECP.5-6 min flat to Suntec/Sands.

Anyway you sound like you have been reading too many sales kits :doh:

duckweed
11-05-10, 22:24
not sure about others, but i visit someone i know at TK pretty often in the last 2 years. the journey from PIE to TK through jalan eunos leading to still road (is that the name of that road?) is horrendous. the same goes for the opposite direction. it's jam both ways!

i am not travelling during peak hours, btw.

silver023
11-05-10, 22:41
not sure about others, but i visit someone i know at TK pretty often in the last 2 years. the journey from PIE to TK through jalan eunos leading to still road (is that the name of that road?) is horrendous. the same goes for the opposite direction. it's jam both ways!

Yup, the Eunos area towards Still Road is usually pretty jammed, but it's not that bad, at least the car moves a little at a time.

I think TK is a pretty nice neighbourhood to live in coz it's relatively quiet, laid-back and breezy. Of course, it would be nice if your apartment was closer to the main road (Still Road or Telok Kurau Road) coz the lorongs do get pretty cramped.

All in all, as pointed out by other members above, we each have our own preference as to our preferred location for stay or investment. Easterners think the West is super ulu, vice versa. As long as you're happy with you apartment can already. :spliff:

Property_Owner
11-05-10, 22:57
1 year back TK look like a ulu place to buy. Now as long as not jurong or boon lay can consider good buy.

marktkt22
11-05-10, 23:22
Telok Kurau is congested, Lorong N is probably the least cluttered.It all those cars who parked along roadside. Get rid of them and the cluttered feeling will disappear.

It freehold with a decent PSF and to avoid the heat, I like Bullman idea of buying PH. It is a good choice when it kinda congested in telok kurau.

For the same PSF, it definitely better than Geylang.:)

Regulators
12-05-10, 00:23
telok kurau is D15 and the treehouse is in upper bukit timah D23 (near bukit panjang). So hypothetically are you telling me apartments in districts 9, 10 and 11 with hardly any facilities should be priced the same or lower compared to a full condo in jurong? For projects like Centris in jurong West to be priced higher than D15 Telok Kurau makes little sense to me when we talk about property being about location location location. I think if a luxury development like St Regis is to be located in Tuas and selling at 2000psf, you will probably be the only one to jump into it and say it is a good buy. :doh:

Yah. Agents and owners will obviously give biased views lah. I don't think it is fair to compare Telok Kurau with some of the other condos someone mentioned. Have you seen the renderings for Treehouse? How to compare right? It has full facilities with tennis courts, green building, large land area, skating rink or whatever, beautiful view of nature etc. I'm not invested but I think the comparison is ridiculous. A Treehouse person is never going to be a Telok Kurau person - they are just different. You look down on Dairy Farm as "ulu" but those people staying there like the serenity and spaciouness lah. Telok Kurau is the exact opposite - cluttered, small Fragrance-style boxy developments with no real facilities. Also, I used to own a small development in another district and the maintenance is very high and eats into your rental yield if you're looking to rent out.

As I say, I don't see any aesthetics or beauty in the developments there - the worst-looking developments in the entire Singapore are all concentrated there but if you have to stay in D15 and have no budget for anything better and don't mind the quality of the developments then go ahead and buy. Also, if you're a "new" investor with a small budget, then this is probably the only place (other than Geylang) with new launch selling at $300+k or $400k - cheaper than HDB. Go propertyguru and filter for units less than $500k and Telok Kurau will be ranked on top. I'm wary of buying areas with new launch focusing on mickey mouse units though - it just shows even developers have no confidence of selling a normal unit and have to go down the "low quantum less than $500k" route.

Regulators
12-05-10, 00:26
i share the exact same sentiments as you but some people just dont see it.

1 year back TK look like a ulu place to buy. Now as long as not jurong or boon lay can consider good buy.

Regulators
12-05-10, 00:36
if you look at the new launches in TK going for more than 1k psf, what does it say? human psychology is really funny. dangle something cheap you doubt and say there must be a reason why it is cheap, when prices start shooting up, you bang ur head and say why didnt buy that last time.

Actually the price speak for itself. If it is freehold and yet still command only sub $800psf, wat do u think is wrong with that area? :)

Regulators
12-05-10, 00:39
i would pay 800psf for D15 telok kurau than pay 900psf for JURONG WEST EXTENSION or BOON LAY anytime, full condo facilities or not. I dont think it would take a very smart investor to know why.

1) largely freehold land
3) near east coast beach

No offense but I think all your points that you thought of are 'non' points.

1)It is largely FH definately but you are comparing with the terrace & semi-Ds which make up most of the properties there.

2)Tao Nan is not such a good school - nothing compared to schools around Bukit Timah

3)Very subjected to what is near or far

4)agreed no HDB view, but is cluttered, alot of roads no thru road.

5)Comparing apples to orange, sometime things are cheap for a reason.

Hope that helps, but guess you probably know all these already. Maybe it will give other potential telok kurau buyers something to think about.

devilplate
12-05-10, 00:50
if you look at the new launches in TK going for more than 1k psf, what does it say? human psychology is really funny. dangle something cheap you doubt and say there must be a reason why it is cheap, when prices start shooting up, you bang ur head and say why didnt buy that last time.

but TK only got boutique apts...for investment, no boutique apts for me. i dun see any potential in condo/apts situated in predominantly landed area. mass market condo buyers usually look for MRT/amenities and rentabilities.

anyway, resale prices at 8xxpsf for TK quite safe too...low downside risk but also low upside potential IMO. it is not so simple to compare prices with other areas.

trends and priorities r ever changing...there is alot of emphasis on convenience and MRT and centris had both of them.

devilplate
12-05-10, 00:52
i would pay 800psf for D15 telok kurau than pay 900psf for JURONG WEST EXTENSION or BOON LAY anytime, full condo facilities or not. I dont think it would take a very smart investor to know why.

nothing wrong wif tat...ur choice...tats y many sold out projects in TK too.

btw, dun tink u can get 800psf or below for fairly new resale condo in TK now especially those near to kembangan mrt side(lor g,h) or east coast(lor m,n)...treeline for eg is asking above 900psf now.

lor k cud be the cheapest.

proud owner
12-05-10, 01:44

the first time i went to visit a friend who lived there .. i was along Still road .. and turn into the LORONG immediately .. and i got lost .. even though its a STRAIGHT LORONG .. it cuts thru many roads... and i found it extreme hard to locate the house ..

in the past 5 yrs .. i visited them only twice .. nothing fanciful .. many parts have narrow Lorongs ..
i feel clustered ..in a landed area

due to height restrictions, the enblocs of terraces can only turn them into low rise Apts ..(NOT CONDO) ..

so the potential is limited .. unless one day govt lift the height restrictions ..

this are just my personal opinions ..

Allthepies
12-05-10, 08:58

I'm not looking at the new launch pricing. I'm more like looking at the subsale/resale transactions. There are many much more profitable resale/subsale transactions than in TK region. Just check the resale caveats for Caspians/Lakeshore/Regent Groves/Centris. The resale market there is strong. Just my :2cents: view.

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:03

Bro you got to know the short cut to avoid Still Road coming in to TK, cut through Jalan Ismail or Jalan Kechot :D

Travelling Still Road to TK is :doh:

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:05
No sure what you are attempting to say, you're just being very general.
Driving is "effortless", try taking a drive along Lorong J/Still Road. What is effortless is Tanjong Rhu, Meyer/Ford Rd exit ECP or Tanjong Katong/Amber exit ECP.5-6 min flat to Suntec/Sands.

Anyway you sound like you have been reading too many sales kits :doh:

I never drive along Still Road to get to ECP, really :doh: .

Use Telok Kurau Road to Marine Parade road and then ECP towards the city. Really fast and no jams.

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:10

Bro, I am RE Agent cum investor and helping others invest, find dream home only, make friends and enjoy property, don't really depend on it for income.

Not really lean and hungry, die die sales pitch type :D turn black to white type of agent.

Ok lah cons of TK is that it is not really classy place, compared to Frankel or Siglap. But good enough, as it is still mainly exclusive landed area.

Think about it, if TK was really very exclusive the prices would be :scared-4:

mcmlxxvi
12-05-10, 09:12
u vested in tk?

No but I stay there before... for about half a year.

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:12
no core selling point in TK...used to be a nice landed enclave....enbloc craze simply spoil the whole environment. Hopefully, no boutique apts sprouting in next door Frankel.

Won't happen in Frankel as it is designated landed property area by URA Master Plan. TK is not.

devilplate
12-05-10, 09:21
Won't happen in Frankel as it is designated landed property area by URA Master Plan. TK is not.

ok i take back my 'zz'...anw tks for the info

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:33
ok i take back my 'zz'...anw tks for the info

No worries bro :D

BTW I am vested in TK and surrounding area, so my views may be biased.................or not. Healthy discussions welcome.

devilplate
12-05-10, 09:38
there r a few nice projects over there like treeline, ambrosia and verte. all of them located right beside park connector. if dun mind facing longkang: u can hf a gd unblocked view of frankel estate. Verte will be the best as some units facing park. and ambrosia nearest to east coast park. Treeline nearest to MRT

however, verte/ambrosia subsale calling for 1kpsf+ and treeline 900psf+...so is it really value buy? u decide

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:41
there r a few nice projects over there like treeline, ambrosia and verte. all of them located right beside park connector. if dun mind facing longkang: u can hf a gd unblocked view of frankel estate. Verte will be the best as some units facing park. and ambrosia nearest to east coast park. Treeline nearest to MRT

Righto, these and those along Lor G nearest park connector are the cream of the crop. :D

xebay11
12-05-10, 09:43
Forgot to add there are strong followers of the South TK nearer Marine Parade side too. :)

rambo6
12-05-10, 09:54
the first time i went to visit a friend who lived there .. i was along Still road .. and turn into the LORONG immediately .. and i got lost .. even though its a STRAIGHT LORONG .. it cuts thru many roads... and i found it extreme hard to locate the house ..

in the past 5 yrs .. i visited them only twice .. nothing fanciful .. many parts have narrow Lorongs ..
i feel clustered ..in a landed area

due to height restrictions, the enblocs of terraces can only turn them into low rise Apts ..(NOT CONDO) ..

so the potential is limited .. unless one day govt lift the height restrictions ..

this are just my personal opinions ..

Actually the TK estate lanes are not very complicated.
They run in Alphabetical order starting from G and ends at N.
The lanes are split into half by Telok Kurau road.
You just need to ask your friend whether he stays closer to Still Rd end or Park Connector end.

Autonomy
12-05-10, 09:59
Personally, I think TK especially those along the park connector is a great place to live.

Been there many times in the morning or evening and it gives u the sense of serenity and away from the hustle and bustle.

In fact if u take a walk near TK park or along the park conector, it feels very "un-singapore" like.

That being said, if for investment purposes, people will still stick to D9,10,11.

rambo6
12-05-10, 10:08
Bro, I am RE Agent cum investor and helping others invest, find dream home only, make friends and enjoy property, don't really depend on it for income.

Not really lean and hungry, die die sales pitch type :D turn black to white type of agent.

Ok lah cons of TK is that it is not really classy place, compared to Frankel or Siglap. But good enough, as it is still mainly exclusive landed area.

Xebay11,
I like your attitude and you sound like a honest and sincere agent.
Actually, I've never considered D15 initially. Chanced upon it after viewing Palm Galleria ads and then drove to the showroom to check it out.
Quite like the location for its proximity to the beach, Katong, Changi and the City.
Actually, cluttering of the lanes is quite normal. You'll see it everywhere in Singapore in private estates, not just TK, where people own more cars than the available parking lots. I don't know why TK gets such a bad reputation for that. Go to any private estate around Sg and you'll experience it.
I don't see people complaining about clutter lanes in private estates in Seletar, Bukit Timah, Serangoon Gardens, Kovan area etc..... :beats-me-man:

rambo6
12-05-10, 10:14
Personally, I think TK especially those along the park connector is a great place to live.

Been there many times in the morning or evening and it gives u the sense of serenity and away from the hustle and bustle.

In fact if u take a walk near TK park or along the park conector, it feels very "un-singapore" like.

That being said, if for investment purposes, people will still stick to D9,10,11.

Yes,
precisely the reason why I bought the Lucent. It's just next to the park connector. It'll link me direct to East coast park for my evening runs, walk at the beach or dinner at big splash. Very safe and convenient.

Blue
12-05-10, 10:18
Xebay11,
Actually, I've never considered D15 initially. Chanced upon it after viewing Palm Galleria ads and then drove to the showroom to check it out.
Quite like the location for its proximity to the beach, Katong, Changi and the City.
Actually, cluttering of the lanes is quite normal. You'll see it everywhere in Singapore in private estates, not just TK, where people own more cars than the available parking lots. I don't know why TK gets such a bad reputation for that. Go to any private estate around Sg and you'll experience it.
I don't see people complaining about clutter lanes in private estates in Seletar, Bukit Timah, Serangoon Gardens, Kovan area etc..... :beats-me-man:

There are only a couple of bad sheeps lurking in this forum condemning about TK. Either they are eating sour grapes or they are vested in other suburban condos. Ask anyone on the streets and majority like TK. Dun be misled. Trust your own judgement.

It is a completely new feel and status to be staying among all private housing and the proximity to everything (town, beach, airport, eateries, shopping, schools, library) is what sells TK.

You tell someone you stay in TK (East Coast) vs Ang Mo Kio or Toa Payoh (predominantly HDB estates) - which sounds more prestigious?

There is a further enbloc upside should plot ratio increases in the near future.

devilplate
12-05-10, 10:23
There are only a couple of bad sheeps lurking in this forum condemning about TK. Either they are eating sour grapes or they are vested in other suburban condos. Ask anyone on the streets and majority like TK. Dun be misled. Trust your own judgement.

It is a completely new feel and status to be staying among all private housing and the proximity to everything (town, beach, airport, eateries, shopping, schools, library) is what sells TK.

You tell someone you stay in TK (East Coast) vs Ang Mo Kio or Toa Payoh (predominantly HDB estates) - which sounds more prestigious?

There is a further enbloc upside should plot ratio increases in the near future.

hope i am not considered as black sheeps..haha

eng81157
12-05-10, 10:35
Yes,
precisely the reason why I bought the Lucent. It's just next to the park connector. It'll link me direct to East coast park for my evening runs, walk at the beach or dinner at big splash. Very safe and convenient.

congrats on your lucent purchase! almost got a unit there myself.
does your unit come along with the jacuzzi?

Wild Falcon
12-05-10, 10:37
The designated landed areas like Bukit timah is fine. Can you imagine Serangoon Gardens where every 2 units of terraced house gets converted to 50 units ? That is exactly what happen to Telok Kurau. In fact, I know of someone who stay at the landed there and have sold the place because he cannot stand all these Fragrance/H81 developments cheapening the entire estate and the narrow lanes is not meant for such overcrowded housing. In his exact words, the overcrowding condition is like slums in Philippines. And he has probably sold to one of those Fragrance developer who will again squeeze in 50 units of 300sq ft units into a 3000 sqft land with frontage of only 3 meters. And with all the landed selling out to cheapskate developers, the construction and overcrowding will only get worse - I wonder whether URA/SLA can intervene because such stuffy living condition can be detrimental. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself whether you want to subject yourself to that kind of squeezy living conditions. But if Tao Nan is the ONLY decent school you can get child into, then u may have no choice. And again if your budget is less than $450k as an entry investor, you can consider The Cotz. No other place can get you such cheap "private" apartments -absolute quantum lower than HDB in Marine Parade. But cheapskate for good reason lah.

Xebay11,

Wild Falcon
12-05-10, 10:42
Don't look down on people staying in Toa Payoh or Ang Moh Kio leh. It has its heartlander charm and definitely less cluttered obviously.

Blue
12-05-10, 10:43
The designated landed areas like Bukit timah is fine. Can you imagine Serangoon Gardens where every 2 units of terraced house gets converted to 50 units ? That is exactly what happen to Telok Kurau. In fact, I know of someone who stay at the landed there and have sold the place because he cannot stand all these Fragrance/H81 developments cheapening the entire estate and the narrow lanes is not meant for such overcrowded housing. In his exact words, the overcrowding condition is like slums in Philippines. And he has probably sold to one of those Fragrance developer who will again squeeze in 50 units of 300sq ft units into a 3000 sqft land with frontage of only 3 meters. And with all the landed selling out to cheapskate developers, the construction and overcrowding will only get worse - I wonder whether URA/SLA can intervene because such stuffy living condition can be detrimental. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself whether you want to subject yourself to that kind of squeezy living conditions. But if Tao Nan is the ONLY decent school you can get child into, then u may have no choice. And again if your budget is less than $450k as an entry investor, you can consider The Cotz. No other place can get you such cheap "private" apartments -absolute quantum lower than HDB in Marine Parade. But cheapskate for good reason lah.

Classic example of a bad sheep :D

xebay11
12-05-10, 10:45

Your friend made money, so must justify his move.

Same like when you leave your job, your previous employer becomes the worst devil, but never question why one stayed there for the last 10-20 years in the first place LOL.

mantrix
12-05-10, 10:45
Classic example of a bad sheep :D

is what he said true? :confused:

xebay11
12-05-10, 10:49

Partially, but I have faith many who live in landed property there would not sell, you simply cannot get such a well located landed property in the East without a huge jump.

devilplate
12-05-10, 10:49
toking abt selling their landed in TK...i got a relatives sold in 2007 simply becoz surrounded by too many constructions....luckily he bot another landed...look at the landed prices now...:D

devilplate
12-05-10, 10:50
Partially, but I have faith many who live in landed property there would not sell, you simply cannot get such a well located landed property in the East without a huge jump.

possible: simpang bedok area...haha...but mly kampong area

eng81157
12-05-10, 10:50

not bad, just poorly biased. this falcon dude is the same guy who stated categorically that tao nan is a poor school because it doesn't have a well-connected alumni and doesn't produce politicians, business leaders, sportsmen, etc etc; despite the fact that it's has both sap and gifted streams.

xebay11
12-05-10, 10:52
possible: simpang bedok area...haha...but mly kampong area

Dude, Simpang Bedok area, no fight in terms of convenience, I moved from there :)

xebay11
12-05-10, 10:53
not bad, just poorly biased. this falcon dude is the same guy who stated categorically that tao nan is a poor school because it doesn't have a well-connected alumni and doesn't produce politicians, business leaders, sportsmen, etc etc; despite the fact that it's has both sap and gifted streams.

Wonder where he bought? or considers good?

devilplate
12-05-10, 11:01
Wonder where he bought? or considers good?

falcon likes dairy farm area: he always sounds defensive in the treehouse thread.

mogyi
12-05-10, 11:02
Isn't TK mickey mouse unit doing about 900-1000psf nowadays?
i thought that's awesome considering the early days owners paid like
400-600 psf. How i wish i invested in this area too..

devilplate
12-05-10, 11:07
Treeline best buy: first owners 5xxpsf :D

xebay11
12-05-10, 11:08
falcon likes dairy farm area: he always sounds defensive in the treehouse thread.

OIC, now I think I know why :)

amk
12-05-10, 11:33

Neither.

Sorry to burst your bubble of "prestigious east coast D15 address".

TK is a nice area. So are some areas of AMK (I'm not familiar with TPY).

Falcon has some valid points abt 2 terrace houses becoming 50 units worldclass land MM units. What abt you ?

gfoo
12-05-10, 11:53
telok kurau is telok kurau, east coast is east coast

rambo6
12-05-10, 11:57
congrats on your lucent purchase! almost got a unit there myself.
does your unit come along with the jacuzzi?

no lah....I'm just a ikan billis investor. only have budget for a 2 bedrm unit. :ashamed1:

duckweed
12-05-10, 12:04
Bro you got to know the short cut to avoid Still Road coming in to TK, cut through Jalan Ismail or Jalan Kechot :D

Travelling Still Road to TK is :doh:

thanks for sharing! should come in handy, although i will be visiting this area less.... that someone recently sold their TK house.

rambo6
12-05-10, 12:12
Neither.

Falcon has some valid points abt 2 terrace houses becoming 50 units worldclass land MM units. What abt you ?

I never thought of TK of being a prestigious estate.
It's just a matter of preference.
I prefer living near the beach, where I can have my evening walks or runs or dinner. Soooo relaxing after a stressful day at work.
This is what TK can provide me.
Actually, if not for the plentiful supply of 'Boutique Apts' in TK, I don't think we'll be having a discussion here. Landed property in D15 is definately more ex than a similarly sized one in AMK, Serangoon gardens etc..
It is precisely the enbloc of these landed properties into boutique apartments that make it more economical to own a property in D15.
I'm willing to sacrifice the little traffic inconvenience or 'embarrassment' of being branded a 'low class' upperclass wannabe for the joy of living near the beach.

eng81157
12-05-10, 12:26
I never thought of TK of being a prestigious estate.
It's just a matter of preference.
I prefer living near the beach, where I can have my evening walks or runs or dinner. Soooo relaxing after a stressful day at work.
This is what TK can provide me.
Actually, if not for the plentiful supply of 'Boutique Apts' in TK, I don't think we'll be having a discussion here. Landed property in D15 is definately more ex than a similarly sized one in AMK, Serangoon gardens etc..
It is precisely the enbloc of these landed properties into boutique apartments that make it more economical to own a property in D15.
I'm willing to sacrifice the little traffic inconvenience or 'embarrassment' of being branded a 'low class' upperclass wannabe for the joy of living near the beach.

totally agree with u. people buy properties for different reasons. as long as it suits their needs and the price is right, viola!

if i had to pay 900-1000psf for TK, AMK, TPY or JW, i would choose TK anytime. lots of good food to choose from nearby, close to the beach, blah blah blah...

but if i had to choose between TK and East Coast/Marine Parade, i would pick the latter definitely. anyway, let's keep the discussion to TK

xebay11
12-05-10, 13:32
Neither.

Bro 2 terrace houses cannot become 50 units. I know you want to make a point but let's put things in proper perspective. If you really know TK well, especially the better areas, there are not many large bungalows / semi ds left to do multi unit boutiques. So there really is a limit to how many boutiques can be built.

Terrace houses? Hard to get so many consensus.

Anyway it is better to be the poorest (boutique owner) in the rich estate (landed owner), than the richest in a poor estate.

Cheers.

Reporter
12-05-10, 13:38

As mentioned before, "xebay11" is our undercover from CONDOsingapore.com. :p :p :p

Jazzer
12-05-10, 16:09
I am vested in TK. Bought an unit here. Am here for long-term stay.

But i don't know why we need to justify TK's pros all the time. Seem to me TK is the only estate that is constantly under attack.

The main complaint is of the congested lanes. Yes, i agree. But someone also mentioned that all private estates do have congested lanes as there is only one lane in either directions. And i agree too to this.

So i stay here in TK because I like TK despite its congested lanes. Perhaps for doing so, i and those who are staying here offended many nay-sayers...

And there are some who complained that the estate is so congested we stare into each other's house all the time or that it is not windy. Absoutely nonsense. Absoutely.

Wild Falcon
12-05-10, 16:30
At least you're honest about the congested and crowded environment which is what attracts you to the place. There are certain forummers who only want to hear the good things if they are invested in an area. If you say Telok Kurau is overcrowded and overbuilt and uninspiring boxy shoeboxes which is a valid observation, they just refuse to accept and keep shouting it is spacious and a "stone's throw" to the sea with a picture of the Cotz walking out to the beach.. Amusing.

When investing in any area, it's important to look at the supply and takeup of recent launches as well. How many condos are there in the district (I believe it's 550 developments and still increasing) and are the launches all taken up or stil have significant leftover units?
Agents/sellers/existing owners will only say the good things. Is it wise to squeeze into an area which is overbuilt or should you cast your net wider? Some may prefer overbuilt areas because they get "comfort" in numbers. Have you read the latest Nomura reports on how "well" the East Coast projects are selling? How many units (7?) are sold in "The Sound" despite stamp duty absorption and weeks of presales? How many units are left in "The Shore" with an empty showroom despite mostly small units with low quantum? Why is an area mainly launching small <800 sq ft units despite not being in town? These are things you have to consider.

I am vested in TK. Bought an unit here. Am here for long-term stay.

But i don't know why we need to justify TK's pros all the time. Seem to me TK is the only estate that is constantly under attack.

The main complaint is of the congested lanes. Yes, i agree. But someone also mentioned that all private estates do have congested lanes as there is only one lane in either directions. And i agree too to this.

So i stay here in TK because I like TK despite its congested lanes. Perhaps for doing so, i and those who are staying here offended many nay-sayers...

And there are some who complained that the estate is so congested we stare into each other's house all the time or that it is not windy. Absoutely nonsense. Absoutely.

den04
12-05-10, 16:40
When investing in any area, it's important to look at the supply and takeup of recent launches as well. How many condos are there in the district (I believe it's 550 developments and still increasing) and are the launches all taken up or stil have significant leftover units?
Agents/sellers/existing owners will only say the good things. Is it wise to squeeze into an area which is overbuilt or should you cast your net wider? Some may prefer overbuilt areas because they get "comfort" in numbers. Have you read the latest Nomura reports on how "well" the East Coast projects are selling? How many units (7?) are sold in "The Sound" despite stamp duty absorption and weeks of presales? How many units are left in "The Shore" with an empty showroom despite mostly small units with low quantum? Why is an area mainly launching small <800 sq ft units despite not being in town? These are things you have to consider.

My view is this is not a fair comparison to the nearby properties along LOR N / east coast road as "The Sound" is asking from $1450 psf and above. :)

xebay11
12-05-10, 16:40
At least you're honest about the congested and crowded environment which is what attracts you to the place. There are certain forummers who only want to hear the good things if they are invested in an area. If you say Telok Kurau is overcrowded and overbuilt and uninspiring boxy shoeboxes which is a valid observation, they just refuse to accept and keep shouting it is spacious and a "stone's throw" to the sea with a picture of the Cotz walking out to the beach.. Amusing.

Ha Ha, no worries dude, actually all you say has some truth but show me a convenient, well located place in Singapore, FH, near beaches, MRT, shops, expressway, not far away from city which is not congested and crowded, affordable (cheap) and I will make my investment there :D

I mean TK must have something going for it to be so built and crowded right? You don't see this kind of action and density in upper (somewhere) right? :D

joyride
12-05-10, 20:24
Ha Ha, no worries dude, actually all you say has some truth but show me a convenient, well located place in Singapore, FH, near beaches, MRT, shops, expressway, not far away from city which is not congested and crowded, affordable (cheap) and I will make my investment there :D

I mean TK must have something going for it to be so built and crowded right? You don't see this kind of action and density in upper (somewhere) right? :D

It is near good food... The prawn noodle near lor N is best

Ronan Loh
12-05-10, 21:10
:doh:

Taonan move to where? thnks

xebay11
12-05-10, 21:20
It is near good food... The prawn noodle near lor N is best

Yeah looks crowded all the time but everytime I go it is closed. LOL I think they only operate in day right?

rambo6
12-05-10, 23:03
:doh:

Taonan move to where? thnks

Not confirmed location yet. Rumors mentioned Paya Lebar or Tampines.
They will be moving only temporarily (maybe 1 to 2 yrs?) to renovate their existing grounds to cater for single session.
I wrote to them and they mentioned that it's in the plans but no confirmation from MOE yet so no details.
Don't worry, I don't think that it will not affect the entry application even if they move.

Property_Owner
12-05-10, 23:12

Last time round when Seafront was launched, Belvedere was flipping like hot cakes....1400 to 1500psf throw cheques like nothing...
same like Aalto when launched Makena just looks too dirt cheap...

Meyer Road is dead for some times already...........

Property_Owner
12-05-10, 23:15

river valley is river valley...orchard is orchard...lol

proud owner
12-05-10, 23:47

someone mentioned earlier that Simpang Bedok is Mly kumpong

errr

isnt Terok Kurau lagi Mly kumpong name ?
with address as LORONG .. how not mly can it get

Regulators
13-05-10, 00:14
If traffic is such an issue to wild falcon, i think his hillview condo is lagi jialat. 2 constantly and perpetually jammed roads one road ending at a roundabout with cars queuing to get zapped by ERP gantry along upper bukit timah outside hume every morning. owners there have to wait for more than 10 years before a row of stupid shophouses converted to supermarket, eateries etc came to fruition (The Rail Mall) and the much awaited MRT station to come on only in 2015 outside salvation army.

bullman
13-05-10, 08:50
The birdie stays on a tree on Pulau Ubin. Seaview, no traffic, windy, no neighbors at all and his nest is the only "development" around. What more can he ask for? :D

mogyi
13-05-10, 10:59
The birdie stays on a tree on Pulau Ubin. Seaview, no traffic, windy, no neighbors at all and his nest is the only "development" around. What more can he ask for? :D

Ubin Cove? hey! better start buying kampong there , my grandchildren "ho Seh" already!

amk
13-05-10, 12:10
Bro 2 terrace houses cannot become 50 units. I know you want to make a point
hey bro at least u know I'm just making a point. and I also stated TK is a nice area.

I'm just against that particular "prestigious" statement. I find it really says something abt one's character.

teddybear
13-05-10, 13:40
TK is "prestigious"? Ha ha ha! Ya ya, more "prestigious" to Woodlands in comparison. :p

hey bro at least u know I'm just making a point. and I also stated TK is a nice area.

I'm just against that particular "prestigious" statement. I find it really says something abt one's character.

Jazzer
13-05-10, 14:11
TK is "prestigious"? Ha ha ha! Ya ya, more "prestigious" to Woodlands in comparison. :p

U see what i mean... sigh!

Wild Falcon
13-05-10, 14:27
Now you make sense. As I say, someone ask for opinion and list ONLY the good points for obvious reasons. You just need someone else to state the negative points of a location and then he gets offended and start all kinds of personal attacks. AMUSING. If you only want to hear the good things, then don't even bother to ask. The place is crowded and cluttered which will get worse in the future as more 1-2 houses become 50 units. And I also highlighted the fact that the new developments in the area have resorted to shoebox units to artificially keep PSF high. This is the LAST AMMO of developers. What next? Units cannot go lower than 300 sq ft. Suddenly, all kinds of attacks start appearing. What do you want to hear? Someone else say "stone's throw to the beach and the IR" and everyone think he give a darn good "opinion". How childish can one get? You want opinion, you get opinion. If you want VALIDATION of your views, then say so lah. It is a stone's throw to the IR and the beach and is spacious units with lush gardens. And its shoebox units are considered highly prestigious and more atas than Toa Payoh. Whatever. Now everyone in this thread is happy.

If you like crowded and high density places, then buy. Just don't take it se seriously for goodness sake and start calling people "birdie" or whatever. And worse still start putting down on AMK or Toa Payoh which is irrelevant.

Wild Falcon
13-05-10, 14:32
Agreed fully . Beautiful area with no negative points at all. VERY attractive area. BUY. Best in Singapore. Happy can already.

1) largely freehold land
3) near east coast beach

Bignose88
13-05-10, 14:40
Agreed fully . Beautiful area with no negative points at all. VERY attractive area. BUY. Best in Singapore. Happy can already.

Plus free-flow of mossies....

Jazzer
13-05-10, 15:10

sorry to disappoint you on this.....

Jazzer
13-05-10, 15:18

sorry to disappoint you on this.....

mogyi
13-05-10, 15:24
Now you make sense. As I say, someone ask for opinion and list ONLY the good points for obvious reasons. You just need someone else to state the negative points of a location and then he gets offended and start all kinds of personal attacks. AMUSING. If you only want to hear the good things, then don't even bother to ask. The place is crowded and cluttered which will get worse in the future as more 1-2 houses become 50 units. And I also highlighted the fact that the new developments in the area have resorted to shoebox units to artificially keep PSF high. This is the LAST AMMO of developers. What next? Units cannot go lower than 300 sq ft. Suddenly, all kinds of attacks start appearing. What do you want to hear? Someone else say "stone's throw to the beach and the IR" and everyone think he give a darn good "opinion". How childish can one get? You want opinion, you get opinion. If you want VALIDATION of your views, then say so lah. It is a stone's throw to the IR and the beach and is spacious units with lush gardens. And its shoebox units are considered highly prestigious and more atas than Toa Payoh. Whatever. Now everyone in this thread is happy.

If you like crowded and high density places, then buy. Just don't take it se seriously for goodness sake and start calling people "birdie" or whatever. And worse still start putting down on AMK or Toa Payoh which is irrelevant.

how can you guys put down AMK and toa payoh, go look at the caveat for centro and duno wat vista in toa payoh, you'll realised these 2 areas are doing even higher PSF than TK, i believe >1200 psf. Prestige wise... i duno so better keep quiet

Jazzer
13-05-10, 15:39
how can you guys put down AMK and toa payoh, go look at the caveat for centro and duno wat vista in toa payoh, you'll realised these 2 areas are doing even higher PSF than TK, i believe >1200 psf. Prestige wise... i duno so better keep quiet

Nothing wrong...

there will be some people who are willing to pay $1,200psf in AMK.. for reasons known only to them. Who are we to say they are crazy if they are rich?

kellogs
13-05-10, 15:44
AMK seems like a nice place to stay ... with all the hawker center, bus, mrt and hdb ...

but 1200 is too expensive i think? for a 99 years condo ...

I am just happy god given me the ability to purchase an unit in TK which is big enough for me and my family to live. quiet and peaceful environment

prestigious or not ... does not matter to me :)

xebay11
13-05-10, 17:30

Bro I never called you names :) And not put down AMK or TPY :) Peace!

xebay11
13-05-10, 17:31
AMK seems like a nice place to stay ... with all the hawker center, bus, mrt and hdb ...

but 1200 is too expensive i think? for a 99 years condo ...

I am just happy god given me the ability to purchase an unit in TK which is big enough for me and my family to live. quiet and peaceful environment

prestigious or not ... does not matter to me

Kellogs, your diplomacy never fails to impress me. :)

xebay11
13-05-10, 18:04

Bro, if living among landed properties in a landed private property estate is not prestigous in Singapore than what is?

It may not be the most prestigious landed estate in Singapore but if you take Singapore with 80% HDB public housing estates as a whole vs private property landed estate, TK is prestigious enough.

If you really do a research on Singapore history, you would know that TK was an area where many chinese towkays and business men used to live, google Singapore archive photos and search Telok Kurau, granted some houses are run down and the roads need some attention to rampant illegal parking but drive around QAP and you will also find some run down mansions as well, this is where the old rich never really caught up with the new rich. :)

Regulators
14-05-10, 01:27
yeah...like anyone would believe ur crap . Negative points are welcome by anyone about telok kurau since i started the thread, but it is the way some people do it that turns one off, moreso the fact that we all know where you live. At least i can say that many boutique developments in telok kurau are moving (with exception of The Sound), but the only new development in hillview in the past few years (Hillvista) is already a flop from the start, so for the sake of argument, what can we say about hillview compared to telok kurau? I do not own any properties in the east but i can safely say telok kurau is a much better choice of investment and for own stay compared to hillview anytime. speaking of mozzies, i think the hills near hillview would be bringing on more of that.

proud owner
14-05-10, 01:40
yeah...like anyone would believe ur crap . Negative points are welcome by anyone about telok kurau since i started the thread, but it is the way some people do it that turns one off, moreso the fact that we all know where you live. At least i can say that many boutique developments in telok kurau are moving (with exception of The Sound), but the only new development in hillview in the past few years (Hillvista) is already a flop from the start, so for the sake of argument, what can we say about hillview compared to telok kurau? I do not own any properties in the east but i can safely say telok kurau is a much better choice of investment and for own stay compared to hillview anytime. speaking of mozzies, i think the hills near hillview would be bringing on more of that.

ok

i am impartial ... i neither own Hillview..nor TK ..

for landed housing .. ignoring traffic, amenities ..

just the environment itself .. if i have to choose ONE between Hillview and TK .. my choice is Hillview ..

my reasons :

1.Hillview has more landed feel,

2. the road, lanes are cleaner, mainly semi D's in Hillview

3. Hillview is not a flat area..so i like the fact that some houses are on higher ground

4.TK has mainly inter terraces.. the land are longish .. meaning long drive way, long back yard ..if you tear down and rebuild.. you would want to take advantage by building more on the land.. hence the house also become longish .. and when u do that ..you MAY make enemies with your neighbours on your left and right side , as you now 'protrude' out ..and sort of able to 'look' into their house .. this has been an real case with 2 friends i know of living in TK

5. TK is indeed more crowded

6. due to 'straight' flat lanes/roads in TK, walking around seems longer and more boring TO ME, as oppose to walking along winding , sloping lanes in Hillview

NOTE

this is purely my personal opinions ...

Regulators
14-05-10, 03:00
not sure about the landed feel in hillview where there are many tall condos there, namely hume park1/2, Century Mansions, Hillview Green, Hillview Heights, Hillington Green, upcoming Hillvista. The cluster with 99yr landed properties along hillview is quite small and limited compared to TK which is predominantly landed. the biggest turn off living is that hillview residents have to take a shuttle service to the bukit batok heartlands to share amenities with bukit batok hdb dwellers
who are much better equipped with amenities. At least i would think that TK residents do not need to feel that dependency towards hdb amenities in their day to day living.

i suppose the biggest draw to TK is the fact that it is near east coast beach and the laid back charm of the estate.

ok

i am impartial ... i neither own Hillview..nor TK ..

for landed housing .. ignoring traffic, amenities ..

just the environment itself .. if i have to choose ONE between Hillview and TK .. my choice is Hillview ..

my reasons :

1.Hillview has more landed feel,

2. the road, lanes are cleaner, mainly semi D's in Hillview

3. Hillview is not a flat area..so i like the fact that some houses are on higher ground

4.TK has mainly inter terraces.. the land are longish .. meaning long drive way, long back yard ..if you tear down and rebuild.. you would want to take advantage by building more on the land.. hence the house also become longish .. and when u do that ..you MAY make enemies with your neighbours on your left and right side , as you now 'protrude' out ..and sort of able to 'look' into their house .. this has been an real case with 2 friends i know of living in TK

5. TK is indeed more crowded

6. due to 'straight' flat lanes/roads in TK, walking around seems longer and more boring TO ME, as oppose to walking along winding , sloping lanes in Hillview

NOTE

this is purely my personal opinions ...

jlrx
14-05-10, 03:04

As mentioned before, "xebay11" is our undercover from CONDOsingapore.com. :p :p :p

Knowing "xebay11" family background, he won't need any income. :p

Maybe I should also sign up to become agent. I know quite a lot about properties too (I think more than some agents).

I think it should be quite fun to be an agent if you don't need to depend on closing sales to make a living, otherwise it'll be quite a stressful job.

Maybe I should just sign up to be part-time agent and anyone who comes to the showflat I'll preach to them PROPERTISM - Property prices always go up in the long term hence properties should only be bought and not sold.

Who knows, maybe I'll be so convincing that I become the top agent? :scared-5:

Regulators
14-05-10, 03:21
then you will probably be serving only buyers. After the sellers sign on the OTP, you can call them goons... :D

Maybe I should also sign up to become agent. I know quite a lot about properties too (I think more than some agents).

I think it should be quite fun to be an agent if you don't need to depend on closing sales to make a living, otherwise it'll be quite a stressful job.

Maybe I should just sign up to be part-time agent and anyone who comes to the showflat I'll preach to them PROPERTISM - Property prices always go up in the long term hence properties should only be bought and not sold.

proud owner
14-05-10, 03:26
not sure about the landed feel in hillview where there are many tall condos there, namely hume park1/2, Century Mansions, Hillview Green, Hillview Heights, Hillington Green, upcoming Hillvista. The cluster with 99yr landed properties along hillview is quite small and limited compared to TK which is predominantly landed. the biggest turn off living is that hillview residents have to take a shuttle service to the bukit batok heartlands to share amenities with bukit batok hdb dwellers
who are much better equipped with amenities. At least i would think that TK residents do not need to feel that dependency towards hdb amenities in their day to day living.

i suppose the biggest draw to TK is the fact that it is near east coast beach and the laid back charm of the estate.

i agree with you ..that Hillview has no real amenities .. compared to TK

if you are codsidering buying TK .. let me give you a real issue that my friend faces ..

he bought a corner unit 4500 sqft land ..
like i said the land is longish .. to make good use of his land ..he rebuilt ..and 'pulled' the front of the house more into the front garden .. even then, he can still park 4 cars..in a straight line ..so you can imagine how long it is ..

most houses there have longish land ... instead of squarish ..

in the process of his construction, he recvd many complains from his only neighbour, as my friend has a corner unit .. that his now longer house blocks the wind , resulting in their home being 'warmer' than before..

other complains from neighbour include : lost of privacy ..
as my friend's house is now longer than his adjoining neighbour .. his second floor balcony can now 'look' into the neighbour's bedroom .. when previously, they were level ...

they never talk since then ...

and if you buy an inter terrace and start to pull your house longer into the front drive way .. your house will look like a sore thumb .. now you have whole rows of angry neighbours ..complaining you spoil their look, block their wind ..

unless you intend to have a long drive way .. and keep the same 'level' facade as the rest of your neighbour ..then thats fine

i am not sure is my friend's case isolated .. but check around before you commit

xebay11
14-05-10, 08:18
i agree with you ..that Hillview has no real amenities .. compared to TK

if you are codsidering buying TK .. let me give you a real issue that my friend faces ..

he bought a corner unit 4500 sqft land ..
like i said the land is longish .. to make good use of his land ..he rebuilt ..and 'pulled' the front of the house more into the front garden .. even then, he can still park 4 cars..in a straight line ..so you can imagine how long it is ..

most houses there have longish land ... instead of squarish ..

in the process of his construction, he recvd many complains from his only neighbour, as my friend has a corner unit .. that his now longer house blocks the wind , resulting in their home being 'warmer' than before..

other complains from neighbour include : lost of privacy ..
as my friend's house is now longer than his adjoining neighbour .. his second floor balcony can now 'look' into the neighbour's bedroom .. when previously, they were level ...

they never talk since then ...

and if you buy an inter terrace and start to pull your house longer into the front drive way .. your house will look like a sore thumb .. now you have whole rows of angry neighbours ..complaining you spoil their look, block their wind ..

unless you intend to have a long drive way .. and keep the same 'level' facade as the rest of your neighbour ..then thats fine

i am not sure is my friend's case isolated .. but check around before you commit

I think that happens in many landed estates too. Check out Tana Merah estate, many old house with longish plots too. :D

xebay11
14-05-10, 08:25

Haha not all so glamorous bro, spend many Sunday mornings 7.30 am standing next to a rubbish dump at the market distributing flyers, what an experience. Once even got scolded by the cleaner for distributing flyers as he had to clean the floor. Alot of character building and reality checks :D

bullman
14-05-10, 09:19
Hi guys,

Since the thread is on whether TK is considered a value buy. The discussions have certainly gone way off tangent since someone with wings compared TK with other places.

In my opinion, the landed units in TK are value for money purchases. Point taken that the plot is longish etc and also the problem with antagonising your neighbors with the rebuilt etc.

For the past year, I have been knocking on the doors of many units and asked the owners directly if they wish to sell. Got scolded most of the time but there are some who is very willing to sell. I think they are from the "old rich", now struggling with maintaining a landed. In this cases, I offer a win-win price for both of us and the deal is done. They are very willing to deal directly with a buyer offering cash as downpayment as opposed to an agent knocking on their door. I only do minimal restoration etc and use IKEA furniture and then get the tenants in. I think the yield is really high at 8-10% gross. If we are looking from this angle, I think its value for money.

I wonder if I can do the same for landed in the west.

jlrx
14-05-10, 16:06
then you will probably be serving only buyers. After the sellers sign on the OTP, you can call them goons... :D

Hence if I become agent I'll probably be in new project marketing.

Otherwise will starve to death, everytime after getting exclusive (which is the most difficult part), I tell the seller that properties should only be bought and not sold. :scared-4:

At least if I'm marketing new projects, I can tell the developers that they are fools to sell their properties to the public, at least they'll feel very flattered that they are doing the nation a great service.

Haha not all so glamorous bro, spend many Sunday mornings 7.30 am standing next to a rubbish dump at the market distributing flyers, what an experience. Once even got scolded by the cleaner for distributing flyers as he had to clean the floor. Alot of character building and reality checks :D

Every profession which has sky as its limits will never be easy.

The university of life offers valuable lessons that schools can never match.

Hi guys,

Since the thread is on whether TK is considered a value buy. The discussions have certainly gone way off tangent since someone with wings compared TK with other places.

In my opinion, the landed units in TK are value for money purchases. Point taken that the plot is longish etc and also the problem with antagonising your neighbors with the rebuilt etc.

For the past year, I have been knocking on the doors of many units and asked the owners directly if they wish to sell. Got scolded most of the time but there are some who is very willing to sell.

Huh? :scared-4:

Isn't it easier to just look up the classifieds?

I think you can get a better price from someone who is already planning to sell, than someone who is not even thinking of selling in the first place. :scared-5:

bullman
19-05-10, 13:34
Huh? :scared-4:

Isn't it easier to just look up the classifieds?

I think you can get a better price from someone who is already planning to sell, than someone who is not even thinking of selling in the first place. :scared-5:

I think the main difference is between paying retail price through the classifieds and wholesaling price through direct negotiations. More importantly, I control the conditions and terms of entry into the purchase which is critical in landed play.

Point taken that its much harder to convince them to sell if they are not thinking of it, but its still possible to find those that are willing. We are not looking at buying up the whole Telok Kurau. :D

Wolverine23
19-05-10, 17:37
very soon, the value of Telok Kurau will be recognised. :) simply too cheap to be true!

silver023
19-05-10, 19:53
very soon, the value of Telok Kurau will be recognised. :) simply too cheap to be true!

Is it still cheap now? Mostly asking $900+ psf, a few asking $1.1K+ and saw a $1.2K psf few days back. Thought price is quite high already.

But I will have no complaints if prices here go up further :spliff:

Wolverine23
19-05-10, 22:18
Is it still cheap now? Mostly asking $900+ psf, a few asking $1.1K+ and saw a $1.2K psf few days back. Thought price is quite high already.

But I will have no complaints if prices here go up further :spliff:

2 years later you will look back and ask yourself: "why didn't I buy more when Telok Kurau price was at 1K psf???"

:beats-me-man:

Blue
20-05-10, 09:49
2 years later you will look back and ask yourself: "why didn't I buy more when Telok Kurau price was at 1K psf???"

100% agree with you!

bullman
20-05-10, 12:08
Hi guys,

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think 1k psf has already been breached in TK ? In another thread, I mentioned this specific project that I was eyeing, one@pulasan and I think a few studios there have hit above 1.1 k psf. Its on the other side of still road so is this still considered TK? The soon to launch Cubik is asking 1400 psf for studios?

I think the challenge is to go above 1k psf for the bigger units in TK.

minority
20-05-10, 13:04
Ever try driving into the TK Lorongs at the 6-730pm time frame? Its crazy. I wont do it. Orginaly considering there to live. but after experiencing the traffic.. not for me. ;)

xebay11
20-05-10, 13:17
Ever try driving into the TK Lorongs at the 6-730pm time frame? Its crazy. I wont do it. Orginaly considering there to live. but after experiencing the traffic.. not for me. ;)

I drive that way every evening, no issues, where you coming from and going?

Wolverine23
20-05-10, 17:16
Hi guys,

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think 1k psf has already been breached in TK ? In another thread, I mentioned this specific project that I was eyeing, one@pulasan and I think a few studios there have hit above 1.1 k psf. Its on the other side of still road so is this still considered TK? The soon to launch Cubik is asking 1400 psf for studios?

yes, you are right. Value will eventually be unlocked.

silver023
20-05-10, 18:38

Maybe but my 'bullets' are limited, so trying to put my eggs in different locations

Wolverine23
21-05-10, 08:26
Maybe but my 'bullets' are limited, so trying to put my eggs in different locations

True, same here as well...

I am looking at Geylang now.

Blue
21-05-10, 10:30
True, same here as well...

I am looking at Geylang now.

:tsk-tsk: :p

Jazzer
21-05-10, 10:41

Oh. i do it on a daily issue and don't see any problem. Most of the issues highlighted in these forums are exaggerated and blown out of proportion by people who don't actually live there. Care to share what issue you faced?

Blue
21-05-10, 10:46
Oh. i do it on a daily issue and don't see any problem. Most of the issues highlighted in these forums are exaggerated and blown out of proportion by people who don't actually live there. Care to share what issue you faced?

Thats why there is this term called "Sour Grapes". There are two intentions of these people:

1) They are vested elsewhere and see that TK is getting popular, so try to cast exagerrated negative remarks to downplay it.

2) They themselves are trying to buy a unit in TK, and bec of the high prices now, they are native enough to think their comments will eventually drive prices down abit to make it more affordable for them.

Take their words as a pinch of salt. Maybe picked up from the East Coast Beach sea water nearby. :cheers6:

Jazzer
21-05-10, 10:51
Hi guys,

Property prices in Singapore is on an upward trend on a long term basis. Just 2 years ago, TK's psf was about 700 to 8000 psf, today, it is closed to 1k psf... sooner or later, the 1k would be breached. It is a matter of time, and not whether it would happen....

xebay11
21-05-10, 11:04

Maybe they don't know all the short cuts and bypass routes :D Still Road (the most obvious route) is a :tsk-tsk: .

Most TK residents would (should) use TK Road to traverse the various Lorongs, simple as ABC, or should I say, GHJ.

xebay11
21-05-10, 11:07
Thats why there is this term called "Sour Grapes". There are two intentions of these people:

1) They are vested elsewhere and see that TK is getting popular, so try to cast exagerrated negative remarks to downplay it.

2) They themselves are trying to buy a unit in TK, and bec of the high prices now, they are native enough to think their comments will eventually drive prices down abit to make it more affordable for them.

Take their words as a pinch of salt. Maybe picked up from the East Coast Beach sea water nearby. :cheers6:

Of course TK is not perfect, but tell me which location is perfect? I would have liked to buy The Seaview too, if I did not miss the boat, but if I did, I would have to compromise accessibility to the MRT, and much HIGHER price, also that area is not exactly low density area too, with so many high rise developments packed so close, so something has to give.

eng81157
21-05-10, 11:25
Of course TK is not perfect, but tell me which location is perfect? I would have liked to buy The Seaview too, if I did not miss the boat, but if I did, I would have to compromise accessibility to the MRT, and much HIGHER price, also that area is not exactly low density area too, with so many high rise developments packed so close, so something has to give.

agree with you bro. much talk over here is based on hindsight. to give an example, when the sea view, OA or esta was first launched at $700-800psf, most naysayers were saying price is simply out of the world. with the same quantum, one could have easily bought a landed property in TK then. now it's considered relatively cheap as all the new launches are priced at least $1200psf or more.

no location's 'perfect' simply because different market segments have varying needs. one man's meat is another's poison to put it plainly. having said so, thankfully the sea view is not located within amber road where it's utterly cluttered. it will only be flanked by the sound in a couple of years time, unlike in amber road where a development is likely to be surrounded with high rise towers.

Jazzer
21-05-10, 15:16

I of course concur.

But my point is that TK's imperfectness is the point of much ridicule by many people where they placed much emphasis on and wherein these same people choose to overlook the imperfectness of other estates.

kellogs
21-05-10, 16:47
went to check out the verte, they are building 2nd floor now! Yippie

maybe end of the year it could TOP? :cool-punk-headbange

donchew76
22-05-10, 14:04
went to check out the verte, they are building 2nd floor now! Yippie

maybe end of the year it could TOP? :cool-punk-headbange

I walk past verte almost every day on my way to work, as I take mrt from kembangan. They are building every day even on Sundays. Ambrosia even faster, can see them installed window panels oredi. :eek:

Wolverine23
22-05-10, 19:32
I walk past verte almost every day on my way to work, as I take mrt from kembangan. They are building every day even on Sundays. Ambrosia even faster, can see them installed window panels oredi. :eek:

u walk to kembangan mrt everyday from TK? isnt it really tiring?

kellogs
23-05-10, 01:14

I am planning to take MRT to work once I have moved into the verte ... it is so convenient as MRT is just 7/8mins away ... just leave the car at home

devilplate
23-05-10, 01:22
verte nice project...probably the best project in TK...PREMIUM...but i rem the launch price was vy high...ard 1kpsf rite...tat time i can see but dare not touch:(

Wolverine23
23-05-10, 07:57
I am planning to take MRT to work once I have moved into the verte ... it is so convenient as MRT is just 7/8mins away ... just leave the car at home

okok, i think for you is ok. if lor m or n will be hard to walk to kembangan...

Autonomy
23-05-10, 08:46
Actually TK is a long stretch. Those at Lorong G, H along the park connector side, its quite near to the mrt station. Only about 400+ metres.

Wolverine23
23-05-10, 12:00
Actually TK is a long stretch. Those at Lorong G, H along the park connector side, its quite near to the mrt station. Only about 400+ metres.

And those at Lor M & N will have to walk to the ERL station...also 400m :p

calvintan
23-05-10, 12:04
but dont know where this ERL station will be built. if the station is at Marine Terrace areas, then a bit far from TK leh. I hope that wont be the new TK station.

Wolverine23
23-05-10, 19:58
but dont know where this ERL station will be built. if the station is at Marine Terrace areas, then a bit far from TK leh. I hope that wont be the new TK station.

main station at marine terrace with opening at NAFA :)

eng81157
23-05-10, 21:05
main station at marine terrace with opening at NAFA :)

wah, ah lim told u his plans where the stations will be located?

kellogs
23-05-10, 22:00
verte nice project...probably the best project in TK...PREMIUM...but i rem the launch price was vy high...ard 1kpsf rite...tat time i can see but dare not touch:(

Yeah it was launched around that price ... the last transaction was on the townhouse and it was done around 613psf and i think that is a steal.

What i like about it because it is fairly near to MRT station, next to Park connector (I jog 5 times/week) and it has only 3 and 4 bedrooms unit so not really a MM project like most perceived on TK boutique apartment.

I hope TK will be a good growing up environment for my kids (4 and 2 years old) :)

Blue
01-06-10, 10:30
The other day passed by Telok Kurau and saw a very nice landed house (not sure if it's considered Semi-D or Corner Terrace), but the land is pretty big. Heard it belongs to the boss of King's safety boots dealer or something..

Inside the house, they have a really huge TV like those selling for $100K in electrical stores and they have 4 cars! 1 BMW 7 series, 1 BMW 3 series and 2 Lambos!!! :spliff: