PDA

View Full Version : Can I combine 2 adjoining terraces into 1 ?

proud owner
14-11-09, 01:53
if i purchase 2 adjoining terraces, or 2 semi-d's ... am i allowed to turn them into 1 giant unit ?

assuming i buy 3 ABC rd and 5 ABC rd .. which are between 1 and 7 ...

can i rebuild them into a giant unit, still adjoin to 1 and 7 .. and i either keep the addess as 3 ABC rd or 5 ABC rd ..?

anyone any knowledge in this ?

any law forbidding this ?

isaaclim
14-11-09, 03:20
If it is a completely rebuild, you need approval from authority.

Two attached Semi detach should not be an issue as long as you don't overbuild. Terrace maybe harder especially those with Piping + drainage linked to other units

jlrx
14-11-09, 20:20
if i purchase 2 adjoining terraces, or 2 semi-d's ... am i allowed to turn them into 1 giant unit ?

can i rebuild them into a giant unit, still adjoin to 1 and 7 .. and i either keep the addess as 3 ABC rd or 5 ABC rd ..?

I guess it should be ok to tear down the internal partition walls to create a single giant unit. If they allow it for condos, I don't see why not for landed houses.

CapitaLand's The Metropolitan press release on 6 Nov 2006:

The condominium offers a series of new-generation homes tailored to meet the changing lifestyle needs of young urbanites and multi-generation families. A key feature of the development lies in the range of the apartment layouts and flexibility of creating living spaces. For the young urbanites, there is a two-bedroom unit that is generously-sized to double up as a home office. As for multi-generation families, they may consider purchasing:

a. Single apartment customised for three-generation living.

b. Two apartments that are adjacent to each other. They are designed with the flexibility to remove the partition between the two units to create a single living and dining area. When the family’s needs change in future, the partitioning wall could be reinstated and one of the apartment units sold off individually.

new2mondrian
16-11-09, 09:02

amalgamation of 2 mukim lots is subject to approval by URA. however, from ur posting, it seems that you are referring to 3 ABC road and 5 ABC road as inter-terrace units, sharing an adjoining wall with 1 ABC Road and 7 ABC road.

Given 1 ABC Road and 7 ABC Road are likely to be inter-terraces which are not large enough to become semi-detached or corner terraces (there is a guideline on size, and the legislated process of obtaining the approval of the respective owners), what you can do is probably to tear down the adjoining wall between 3 ABC Road and 5 ABC Road. Depending on land size, this might not substantially increase the value of the adjoined property since it is STILL an inter-terrace. Better to assess first. To file BCA application, get architect to submit drawings and eventually do the A&A is a costly affair. Might not be able to reap the investment from the eventual gain in property value.

My 2 cents.

proud owner
16-11-09, 10:16
amalgamation of 2 mukim lots is subject to approval by URA. however, from ur posting, it seems that you are referring to 3 ABC road and 5 ABC road as inter-terrace units, sharing an adjoining wall with 1 ABC Road and 7 ABC road.

Given 1 ABC Road and 7 ABC Road are likely to be inter-terraces which are not large enough to become semi-detached or corner terraces (there is a guideline on size, and the legislated process of obtaining the approval of the respective owners), what you can do is probably to tear down the adjoining wall between 3 ABC Road and 5 ABC Road. Depending on land size, this might not substantially increase the value of the adjoined property since it is STILL an inter-terrace. Better to assess first. To file BCA application, get architect to submit drawings and eventually do the A&A is a costly affair. Might not be able to reap the investment from the eventual gain in property value.

My 2 cents.

thanks for your input ..

i am thinking along that line ... i found a row of 4 units , 1 and 7 being corner terraces , and 3 and 5 are inter terraces ..

and 3 and 5 are for sale ..

i am thinking of buying them both ... and i also happen to speak with the owner of corner unit 1, and he is an old man, who comes over only during weekend,. on weekday ..they house is empty ..

he has kuasa the house to his son, who has immigrated to australia and became citizen .. so theres a chance that they will sell it as well ..

so if i can buy all 1 3 5 ABC road ... that will be nice ...

even if 1 dont sell now ... over time i might be able to buy 1 or 7 ..

who knows .. one day i can own the whole row ...

ahhah dreaming ...

then again ... arent all great men started as dreamers ?

new2mondrian
16-11-09, 12:15
thanks for your input ..

i am thinking along that line ... i found a row of 4 units , 1 and 7 being corner terraces , and 3 and 5 are inter terraces ..

i am thinking of buying them both ... and i also happen to speak with the owner of corner unit 1, and he is an old man, who comes over only during weekend,. on weekday ..they house is empty ..

he has kuasa the house to his son, who has immigrated to australia and became citizen .. so theres a chance that they will sell it as well ..

ahhah dreaming ...

actually there are tonnes of interesting facets to landed properties. For value maximisation, I would personally retain the dividing wall in between 3 and 5; UNLESS 3 and 5 are so small and tight that removing the retaining wall will create an airwell in the middle and bring in more light and ventilation as well as create a larger frontage to enhance the value of the property.

The problem is 3 and 5 are inter-terraces. Let's say they now cost $1.3M EACH, which is $2.6M in total. You apply permit for amalgamation, hire an architect and do extensive A&A, this will set you back by $450k (at least) for 2 terraces. And this $450k if funded by bank loan will be classified as renovation loan which attracts a far higher interest. Let's say you have sufficient cash to cough up this $450k in full. Then the cost of your INTER-TERRACE is already over $3M, including stamp duty. To find a buyer for such an inter-terrace to pay $3.5M and above for you to break even can be quite difficult unless the location is super compelling. For the above, I won't tear down the retaining wall.

To hope that 1 ABC Road can sell eventually is a big gamble which might never crystallise. Buy the property on its present merit. Hope this helps.

focus
16-11-09, 12:34
The problem is 3 and 5 are inter-terraces. Let's say they now cost $1.3M EACH, which is $2.6M in total. You apply permit for amalgamation, hire an architect and do extensive A&A, this will set you back by $450k (at least) for 2 terraces. And this $450k if funded by bank loan will be classified as renovation loan which attracts a far higher interest. Let's say you have sufficient cash to cough up this $450k in full. Then the cost of your INTER-TERRACE is already over $3M, including stamp duty. To find a buyer for such an inter-terrace to pay $3.5M and above for you to break even can be quite difficult unless the location is super compelling. For the above, I won't tear down the retaining wall.

A&A costs only $450k total for 2 inter-terraces? Do you have the builder's contact? The last one I asked was quoting me $160psf for A&A, so 3000sqft X $160psf = $480k, but 2 terraces should be around 6000sqft x 160psf = $960k...

new2mondrian
17-11-09, 08:22
A&A costs only $450k total for 2 inter-terraces? Do you have the builder's contact? The last one I asked was quoting me $160psf for A&A, so 3000sqft X $160psf = $480k, but 2 terraces should be around 6000sqft x 160psf = $960k...

I said minimum $450k for A&A (not rebuilding) 2 inter-terraces, with the assumption that they will be done up side by side together. A&A (additions and alterations) is much cheaper than rebuilding cos the main building structure is preserved, though I agree that the quotation which you obtained from your builder for rebuilding is a fair quotation.

The builders I worked with were from Meridien Homes. At that time I got a quotation from them, but did not eventually proceed to do the A&A. Given A&A work differs vastly in terms of scope, there is no fixed quote. They need to see the place and take in the owner's requirements to do up the quote.

For rebuilding of homes, Meridien's quote is available on their website. Appox $550k and above for REBUILDING of a semi-detached ($180psf). But rebuilding involves removal of main structures and piling works. Given soil condition differs across of Singapore, what is quoted is based on normal guide price. For example, the entire Opera Estate in Siglap sits on Marine Clay (one of the softest soil in Singapore). Hence MICRO piling is required, which costs 2 times the price of normal piling. This drives up the rebuilding cost too.

Best to get an architect to quote based on existing conditions. My 2 cents.

http://meridianhomes.com.sg/web2009/template02.php?pg=cat_newhouses

new2mondrian
17-11-09, 08:50
Actually I realised that Meridien Homes also have some samples of A&A homes in their website, with their indicative price tag (from $350k upwards). Pretty interesting...

20 years later when my child is grown, and we have saved enough moolah for retirement, our dream is to build our own retirement home. :)

http://meridianhomes.com.sg/web2009/template02.php?pg=cat_remodelling

focus
17-11-09, 14:42
Thanks.. will add them as another source for project quotation :)

jlrx
18-11-09, 00:13
thanks for your input ..

ahhah dreaming ...

That'll be the wisest investment of all times! :cheers1:

In fact, we should all group together to "take over" two rows of terrace houses, then do an "en bloc", like what those people below have done.

Landed en bloc is always more profitable (percentage wise) than condo en bloc because of the magnitude of difference between the allowable and existing plot ratios.

The Straits Times

Nov 21, 2007

Sweet collective-sale deal for 15 terrace houses in Balestier

IT TOOK 18 months but the owners of 15 terrace houses in Balestier have pulled off a sweet deal to match some of the collective sales that have been making headlines all year.

They have banded together to sell their properties for $61 million, giving each a payout of about $4 million.

This is two to three times what they would have made for their homes individually and a huge gain for those who bought several years ago.

Retiree Ho Chaw Fu, 70, is 'very happy with the price'. No wonder: Mr Ho bought his house for $300,000 about 30 years ago.

The buyers of the terraces are understood to be a Chinese property developer and its Singaporean partner.

They can build up to 36 storeys on the site, which has a plot ratio of 2.8.

About 56 apartments can be built with an average size of 1,500 sq ft each and may eventually be sold at $1,400 to $1,500 psf.

So proud owner buys 1, 3, 5, ABC Road, Reporter buys No. 7 (since he likes the number 7).

The facing row, I buy 8 (facing Reporter), focus buys 6, and then get Property_Owner to buy up 2 and 4.

Can you imagine the following news ...

The Condo Times

Nov 21, 2012

Sweet collective-sale deal for 8 terrace houses in ABC Road

IT TOOK 18 months but the owners of 8 terrace houses in ABC Road have pulled off a sweet deal to match some of the collective sales that have been making headlines all year.

They have banded together to sell their properties for $80 million, giving each a payout of about $10 million.

This is two to three times what they would have made for their homes individually and a huge gain for those who bought several years ago.

Retiree focus, 70, is 'very happy with the price'. No wonder: Mr focus bought his 4,000 sqft house for only $2.8 million about 3 years ago.

The buyers of the terraces are understood to be a Chinese property developer and its Singaporean partner.

They can build up to 36 storeys on the site, which has a plot ratio of 2.8.

About 56 apartments can be built with an average size of 1,500 sq ft each and may eventually be sold at $1,400 to $1,500 psf.

Reporter
18-11-09, 00:17
That'll be the wisest investment of all times! :cheers1:

In fact, we should all group together to "take over" two rows of terrace houses, then do an "en bloc", like what those people below have done.

Landed en bloc is always more profitable (percentage wise) than condo en bloc because of the magnitude of difference between the allowable and existing plot ratios.

So proud owner buys 1, 3, 5, ABC Road, Reporter buys No. 7 (since he likes the number 7).

The facing row, I buy 8 (facing Reporter), focus buys 6, and then get Property_Owner to buy up 2 and 4.

Can you imagine the following news ...
Err ... how much is "7 ABC Road" selling for? Not too expensive I hope.

jlrx
18-11-09, 00:27
Err ... how much is "7 ABC Road" selling for? Not too expensive I hope.

According to my imagination, it should be $2.8 million.

Retiree focus, 70, is 'very happy with the price'. No wonder: Mr focus bought his 4,000 sqft house for only $2.8 million about 3 years ago.

As for the real ABC Road, you have to ask proud owner, because I don't know where it is. :confused:

proud owner
18-11-09, 00:39
According to my imagination, it should be $2.8 million.

As for the real ABC Road, you have to ask proud owner, because I don't know where it is. :confused:

but first let me check if ABC road is 'designated landed" ..

if it is ,...then it cannot be turned into condo ..

if it is 'non-designated'..then there it can be enbloced and build into condo ..

bit i like the idea ..

housewife
18-11-09, 09:46
but first let me check if ABC road is 'designated landed" ..

if it is ,...then it cannot be turned into condo ..

if it is 'non-designated'..then there it can be enbloced and build into condo ..

bit i like the idea ..
how to check if designated landed?

proud owner
18-11-09, 10:23
how to check if designated landed?

in URA website ... have to pay to extract such info

thats why some landed est will forever be landed ... while some , can have condos springing up

so for those planning to buy landed and want to remain as landed and not risk neighbours turning into condo ...better check first ...

xebay11
18-11-09, 12:57

thats why some landed est will forever be landed ... while some , can have condos springing up

so for those planning to buy landed and want to remain as landed and not risk neighbours turning into condo ...better check first ...

I thought you can get such information in the URA website under the Master Plan 2008?

xebay11
18-11-09, 13:09

But it depends on the buyers, some may prefer to buy landed in non-landed zone so as to have enbloc potential.

focus
18-11-09, 14:20
Yeah! Let's pool our resources and be a small time mini property developer company..! :)

august
18-11-09, 14:51
Yeah! Let's pool our resources and be a small time mini property developer company..! :)

can i partake? :ashamed1:

focus
18-11-09, 15:04

I'm sure JLRX won't object to it..
He's the one who suggested it..

Anyway, I got no experience in this.. so better to JV with people who have done it.. or to spread the risk with other people..keke.. all chip in a few hundrek k .. maybe can buy land and build 2 semi-ds without bank loan.

housewife
18-11-09, 15:23
I thought you can get such information in the URA website under the Master Plan 2008?
how to check?

xebay11
18-11-09, 15:45
how to check?

www.ura.gov.sg (http://www.ura.gov.sg)

http://www.ura.gov.sg/mp08/map.jsf?goToRegion=SIN

Click on landed housing areas plan.

jlrx
18-11-09, 17:08
I'm sure JLRX won't object to it..
He's the one who suggested it..

Sorry. There are only 8 terraces, already all bought up (That's why buy property must act fast!)

You can ask proud owner or Property_Owner whether they want to sell you one of their extra terraces. But you can partake in the re-development (I will elaborate in another post after I have worked out the calculations).

The row of terraces cannot be too long e.g. with houses 9, 11, 13, 15 ... etc otherwise the land will be too elongated.

8 terraces just nice to form a squarish piece of land. Let's say each terrace is 24 m X 15 m (where 15 m is the frontage) then this whole piece of land will have a width of (24 + 24 + 6) = 54 m (including the road which we buy from the government as state land) and length of 4 x 15 = 60 m.

Squarish lands are the most preferred for development.

housewife
18-11-09, 17:10
www.ura.gov.sg (http://www.ura.gov.sg)

http://www.ura.gov.sg/mp08/map.jsf?goToRegion=SIN

Click on landed housing areas plan.
Thank u!!! :)

jlrx
18-11-09, 21:40
Yeah! Let's pool our resources and be a small time mini property developer company..!

can i partake?

Sorry. There are only 8 terraces, already all bought up (That's why buy property must act fast!)

You can ask proud owner or Property_Owner whether they want to sell you one of their extra terraces. But you can partake in the re-development (I will elaborate in another post after I have worked out the calculations).

focus has a good idea! :cheers1: That is another way of making profits ... we can form a small time "mini property developer company".

Then august can also "partake" ... (plus isaaclim, housewife, xebay11 and new2mondrian).

Our this "mini developer" company shall have a paid up capital of $50 million.

Divide into 10 shares of $5 million each, one share for each of the following: proud owner, Reporter, jlrx, focus, Property_Owner, isaaclim, august, housewife, xebay11 and new2mondrian.

So each person comes up with $5 million.

Of the $50 million, use $22.4 million to buy up the 8 terraces (but must buy stealthily ... one by one ... because the moment you say you are developer buying en bloc, the price goes up 3 times).

We are left with $27.6 million.

Assuming the total land area to be (as worked out in the previous post) 54 m x 60 m = 3,240 sqm (34,875 sqft) and a plot ratio of 2.8, the total GFA is 97,650 sqft.

Assuming construction costs of $250 psf, that's $24.4 million, which leaves us with $3.2 m to purchase the state land (the road in between the two rows of houses).

Here is where we pray to our Mickey Mouse god ...

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/faytoz/files/2008/11/mickey_mouse.thumbnail.jpg

The GFA of 97,650 sqft is to be built into 200 units of Mickey Mouse units of 488 sqft.

What is the psf price? Since Geylang can achieve $1,514 psf, ABC Road should be able to achieve $1,900 psf (I don't know where it is but should be more prestigious than Geylang I presume).

That's $927,200 per unit (as long as you keep it below $1 million it'll be affordable ... isn't that the new mantra?)

So 200 units x $927,200 = $185,440,000.

Divide this by 10 shares, each of us gets $18.54 million.

Not bad for an investment of $5 million.

Now I see why even Aztech Computers and Popular Bookstore want to be a property developer.

Repeat that a few hundred times and turn all landed properties (zoned non-landed) into condos, and we become the next Far East Organisation. :cheers1:

new2mondrian
19-11-09, 08:16
Hahaha, good idea!!! Count me in!!!

For one I have been eyeing the old landed properties around Potong Pasir MRT for the longest time, but simply no one is selling... Rajoo Casket and team looks very comfortable there. :( Right next to MRT (literally), Freehold, plot ratio of 3.5 (revised upwards in URA Masterplan 2008), unblocked views (cos across the road is the Senett Estate landed housing with plot ratio of 1.4).... currently just old old 2-storey shophouses.... with rats scurrying through their sewers every now and then and the unmistakable smell of Indian curry in the air.

Property_Owner
19-11-09, 09:20
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=8259

proud owner
19-11-09, 09:53

hahhah

just for your info ... when the Sails was launched ...
i know of an average income family .. pool funds from cousins, in laws, etc etc ... 10 persons ...and bought a unit ...

which they sold of very very quickly ...

and they were so so happy ..being their very first virgin punt on property and they made some 150k nett... so thats 15k each

anyway they never did it again ... mkt ran away after that ..and it was hard to gather the same 10 persons again ..nor to reinvest that 150k as it was their first 'windfall' ...and they wouldnt take it out of their pocket again ..

xebay11
19-11-09, 11:03
Maybe we can start a co-operative :D

august
19-11-09, 11:32
Maybe we can start a co-operative :D

PSC, Pty SG Cooperative :D

jlrx
19-11-09, 16:45

Following the above link, I find a very wise comment ...

If you make profit all parties will be happy. If sell @ loss even hubby n wifey also can turn face

I guess that's why property developers can make their money.

limfc
21-07-10, 22:58
dear gurus,

really enjoyed reading this thread... machiam like a very good dream coming true... :D

so hor, how did the story continue huh?

so was the co-op formed?
has proud owner bot the ABC road houses yet?

hee...

rgds,
fc

focus
21-07-10, 23:43
dear gurus,

really enjoyed reading this thread... machiam like a very good dream coming true... :D

so was the co-op formed?

hee...

rgds,
fc
I already scared off by jlrx's initial seed capital of $5mil each ... This forum I think only property_owner, jlrx, devilplate and proud owner can come out with this type of money without giving up something else in return. :p Anyone else with that type of capital I missed out.. apologies.. I didn't mean to. :)

If you can come up with a smaller scale deployment, maybe the "Excitement" will be lit up again.. :)

jlrx
22-07-10, 00:58
I already scared off by jlrx's initial seed capital of $5mil each ... This forum I think only property_owner, jlrx, devilplate and proud owner can come out with this type of money without giving up something else in return. :p Anyone else with that type of capital I missed out.. apologies.. I didn't mean to. :)

If you can come up with a smaller scale deployment, maybe the "Excitement" will be lit up again.. :)

Smaller scale developments can be undertaken alone. Nowadays there are many mini-developers/speculators buying up old landed houses, tearing down and rebuilding them, and then selling them for a profit of $100k to $200k each, depending on market conditions.

I was thinking of doing that but gave up in the end because too busy at work, not worth the trouble. Especially if the buyers are fussy and later demand you rectify this and that fault, there'll be no end to troubles. :doh:

On the other hand, for "retirees" like you, it may be worthwhile to do. Of course like for all developers, there's a risk that the market plunges and you end up incurring a loss - wasting time and losing money. :doh:

However, if the market shoots up while you are rebuilding, the profits can easily come to at least half-a-million or more per house e.g. during the past few years.

proud owner
22-07-10, 01:41
dear gurus,

so was the co-op formed?

hee...

rgds,
fc

hahahah

in a row of 2 corners and 2 inter .. i only managed to get 1 of the 4 .. still waiting for another to agree to sell ..waiting .. and waiting ... hopefully one day i can have that road sealed off and have it named after me ...

just found out that Kheam Hock road was named after my friend's grand uncle .. Lim Khean Hock ..

he is my idol ...

hahah

limfc
22-07-10, 22:46
ya lor... buying old and rebuilding requires so much cash up front, prob at least $700k... might as well continue buying 'air' with the $$$ or just buy a ready built one... but must have a business purpose for ready built one, like running a hostel or something like that....

few months back, i went to see an old old devt along pasir panjang...
after going into the walk up apt, i got a shock, the whole "home" become like mini-hotel... the buyer converted the living room and the kitchen into 2 more rooms... so from a 3 rm, become a 5 rms with no common area except a narrow passageway... some more 4 of the rooms got bath... and in each room, got LCD TV, washing machine + dryer, electric hotplate, like a mini hotel room..

and 4 of the 5 rooms were rented out... abt 1k+ each... the rental was good! 7-8% yield...:D

but from the looks of the reno, i highly suspect the reno is not approved one... so dun dare to consider... later ura ask me to restore back, then xiao liao.... :D

Smaller scale developments can be undertaken alone. Nowadays there are many mini-developers/speculators buying up old landed houses, tearing down and rebuilding them, and then selling them for a profit of $100k to $200k each, depending on market conditions.

I was thinking of doing that but gave up in the end because too busy at work, not worth the trouble. Especially if the buyers are fussy and later demand you rectify this and that fault, there'll be no end to troubles. :doh:

On the other hand, for "retirees" like you, it may be worthwhile to do. Of course like for all developers, there's a risk that the market plunges and you end up incurring a loss - wasting time and losing money. :doh:

However, if the market shoots up while you are rebuilding, the profits can easily come to at least half-a-million or more per house e.g. during the past few years.

limfc
22-07-10, 22:50
when you get the road named after you.... many people (including me of course) will idolize you man... :D

oh no no, i think i shld start to idolize you and all the other property gurus who can come up with $5mil cash... :not-worthy: :not-worthy: :not-worthy:

hahahah

in a row of 2 corners and 2 inter .. i only managed to get 1 of the 4 .. still waiting for another to agree to sell ..waiting .. and waiting ... hopefully one day i can have that road sealed off and have it named after me ...

just found out that Kheam Hock road was named after my friend's grand uncle .. Lim Khean Hock ..

he is my idol ...

hahah