PDA

View Full Version : Which property will you invest in if you have $600k?

mcmlxxvi
27-10-09, 17:01
Which property will you invest in if you have $600k?

alamak
27-10-09, 19:37
Which property will you invest in if you have $600k?

I won't put the $600K in physical property now. Far too many oredi at skyhigh psf, no guranteed or expect poor rental yields. Put in some reits or property stocks - more liquid and better returns. Bank interest rate won't stay low forever.

nochoice
28-10-09, 11:32
With $600k, the problem is not which property to choose, its which property can you buy?

Property_Owner
28-10-09, 11:34
With $600k, the problem is not which property to choose, its which property can you buy?

600K? Buy how many rooms?

august
28-10-09, 11:35

maybe he meant 20% down payment of $600k ~ :o

jwong71
28-10-09, 11:37

600k.. For new one, Mickey and Minnie mouse condos. Alot to choose from the districts available.

For old one with decent sizes, MELVILLE PARK!!! haha.. Simei green. And GEYLANGS.:D

600k during the Q1, there are so much choices.
Now, choices were halved :scared-5:

Lucas
28-10-09, 21:05
600k.. For new one, Mickey and Minnie mouse condos. Alot to choose from the districts available.

For old one with decent sizes, MELVILLE PARK!!! haha.. Simei green. And GEYLANGS.:D

600k during the Q1, there are so much choices.
Now, choices were halved :scared-5:

600K can't get even a decent size studio in city area already:-(

You may want to consider Clementiwoods Condo(district 5) which still has Studio units below $600K for 560 - 646 sq ft

proud owner
28-10-09, 22:56
600K can't get even a decent size studio in city area already:-(

You may want to consider Clementiwoods Condo(district 5) which still has Studio units below $600K for 560 - 646 sq ft

in 2006 600k could get you a town house 99 yr LH at Vista Park

which of course was flipped in 2007 at 1.2 mio

jlrx
29-10-09, 02:06

Huh? :scared-5: Can go backward in time? :scared-4:

Then in 1979, $600k could also get you 3 bungalows at the most prime East Coast Margate Road, with change to spare.

The Straits Times

Dispute over dead man's house resolved

Oct 16, 2009

THE wife of a Singaporean who died in a United States jail will get to keep the $4.8million from a house sold by his elder brother but which she said was owned by her husband.

The Margate Road property at the centre of the ownership spat was registered in the younger Mr Charles Loo Chay Loo's name when it was bought in 1979 but the elder Mr Loo Chay Sit and their parents had lived there since 1999.

Mr Loo Chay Sit, 58, sold the house located off Mountbatten Road in 2006 and kept the money ...

Madam Chen could not produce enough evidence to show all the funds paid out to buy the house. For instance, she could not account for about $90,000 of the purchase money of $195,000.

She was unable to prove on balance that her late husband had paid for the property. But 'not proved' does not mean 'disproved', wrote Justice Andrew Phang in the court's grounds of decision.

What is the moral of the story?

Moral 1

Moral 1 of the story is that if her brother-in-law and parents-in-law had come up with $600k to buy 3 bungalows in 1979, instead of 3 parties sharing one bungalow, then each of them will have one separate bungalow worth $4.8 million. Then there is no need to fight over one miserable $4.8 million bungalow.

Moral 2

Moral 2 of the story is that if her brother-in-law had not sold their bungalow in 2006 at 7, Margate Road (Caveat 18 Aug 2006) 9,803 sq ft, $490 psf, $4.8 million; then they can sell it at a much higher price like 10, Margate Road (Caveat 12 Nov 2007) 16,967 sq ft, $1,815 psf, $30,800,000.

Using $1,815 psf for 10, Margate Road, their 9,803 sq ft bungalow should be worth $18,000,000.

Then they can divide this into three parts, each party can get $6 million. Then no need to fight over one miserable $4.8 million bungalow.

Moral 3

Don't anyhow sell properties.

Properties should only be bought; not sold.

(Unless it's like what Property_Owner did, i.e. sell one property to upgrade to another; or it is an en bloc, then quickly buy a replacement property).

This property animal is very dangerous. Riding the property bull is more scary than LKY riding the Communist Tiger.

Anytime not careful and you fall off, you are going to end up at the bottom of society writing complaint letters to the Straits Times.

I am having sleepless nights now, because the next move is coming.

It's a big one. You will read in the papers.

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 10:13

LOL, isn't it your unit?

new2mondrian
29-10-09, 10:19
This property animal is very dangerous. Riding the property bull is more scary than LKY riding the Communist Tiger.

Anytime not careful and you fall off, you are going to end up at the bottom of society writing complaint letters to the Straits Times.

hey bro, ur place is going to en-bloc???!!!

for $600k, i will do the following:

1) Get a 3-room HDB as near Nanyang Primary/RGPS as possible (must be within 1km) for $2XXk; and

2) The remainder use as downpayment for a 2-bedder to 3-bedder in the OCR. Must find a resale property that is freehold and affordable (maybe 15 years and above); OR

2) Invest in dividend yielding REITS or stocks that pay at least 6% yield

Option 1 gives u steady rental income even when u wish to upgrade in the future. No lack of tenants in that area;

Option 2 gets u hedged. Either way, u also will have some rental income or dividend income to hedge your risk.

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 10:23
(Unless it's like what Property_Owner did, i.e. sell one property to upgrade to another; or it is an en bloc, then quickly buy a replacement property).

I know what is your concern all about. As what you mentioned.

Fortune Favors The Bold

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 10:36
Moral 2

Moral 2 of the story is that if her brother-in-law had not sold their bungalow in 2006 at 7, Margate Road (Caveat 18 Aug 2006) 9,803 sq ft, $490 psf, $4.8 million; then they can sell it at a much higher price like 10, Margate Road (Caveat 12 Nov 2007) 16,967 sq ft, $1,815 psf, $30,800,000.

Using $1,815 psf for 10, Margate Road, their 9,803 sq ft bungalow should be worth $18,000,000.

Then they can divide this into three parts, each party can get $6 million. Then no need to fight over one miserable $4.8 million bungalow.

TCSS la. Landed houses can't compare even if on the same road or side by side for that matter. Eg. one can be original condition from 1970 and the neighbour may be renovated at 2mio and rebuilt.

august
29-10-09, 10:37

dont mean to nitpick, but by now everyone knows LKY riding the "Communist" tiger was largely a self-imaginary one... ppl shld know their history better.

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 10:38
maybe he meant 20% down payment of $600k ~ :o

Oh ya you got me. I meant 20% down :P

Reporter
29-10-09, 10:40
dont mean to nitpick, but by now everyone knows LKY riding the "Communist" tiger was largely a self-imaginary one... ppl shld know their history better.
... figure of speech ...

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 10:52

Sometimes you don't have to sell a property and upgrade to another one. As it coud be higher risk to some as the figures are higher. PM me, I share with you another way to invest.

SL
29-10-09, 11:01

Is the "news" out ? Which news bro ?

august
29-10-09, 11:09
Sometimes you don't have to sell a property and upgrade to another one. As it coud be higher risk to some as the figures are higher. PM me, I share with you another way to invest.

can PM me? i am eager to learn from experienced ppl like urself :ashamed1:

jwong71
29-10-09, 11:23

Mind if PM me too, im alway hungry for knowledge especially from seasoned investors and players.

ay123
29-10-09, 11:54
Mind if PM me too, im alway hungry for knowledge especially from seasoned investors and players.

me too.....hungry for knowledge

new2mondrian
29-10-09, 12:16
property_owner, soon u will be very busy trying to PM everybody! while u are at it, might as well count me in can?

:spliff:

DC33_2008
29-10-09, 12:20
Me Too! Never stop learning!

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 13:12
Had PM those requested. Sorry, cut and paste my inbox

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 13:57

Flipping options? :D Only need 5% and 12 weeks. No legal cost. No stamp fees.

Reporter
29-10-09, 14:13

Horse's mouth can't fit into Bull's head!

xebay11
29-10-09, 14:25

Hi please PM me also, your inbox was full :D

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 14:40
Horse's mouth can't fit into Bull's head!

It's direct translation of Mandarin?
Logically, isn't it Bull's head cannot fit into the Horse's mouth... :tongue3:

shespawn
29-10-09, 14:51
wah so popular ah. I also want to know! PM please.

pmet
29-10-09, 15:06
pm me too, thx!

Douk
29-10-09, 15:09
Moral 1 of the story is that if her brother-in-law and parents-in-law had come up with $600k to buy 3 bungalows in 1979, instead of 3 parties sharing one bungalow, then each of them will have one separate bungalow worth $4.8 million. Then there is no need to fight over one miserable $4.8 million bungalow.

It is better not to comment too much on people's misery, if you dont know the inside story. The old parents are nice people and dont deserve these comments.

Moral 2

Even # houses on the margate road are sitting on land designated for high rise residential while the odd # houses are only good for landed. Hence the price difference. so this is not a good comparison.

jlrx
29-10-09, 15:13

I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full. Must be because everyone has PM you ! :scared-4:

Property_Owner has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

ay123
29-10-09, 15:31

PM me please..........

jlrx
29-10-09, 15:47
Even # houses on the margate road are sitting on land designated for high rise residential while the odd # houses are only good for landed. Hence the price difference. so this is not a good comparison.

That's interesting! I learn so much from this forum. Thanks! :cheers1:

So is it like Paterson Road? West side "Jalan Anap/ One Tree Hill" landed cannot build high rise; east side all the landed turned into high rise, Huat Ah!!!. :spliff:

Sometimes it's really fate. How would you know thirty years ago whether to buy even or odd-numbered house. That's literally a multi-million dollar question.

What I'm trying to illustrate with this example is how much property prices could rise. To the extent that isn't it ridiculous that (e.g. 30 years ago) we might be haggling with the seller over whether the bungalow should be $195,000 or $185,000? Or worried whether the economy would enter recession and the bungalow end up losing 50% of its value (or $97,500)? :doh:

Let's not talk about Margate Road.

The Edge Singapore

The Eu Dynasty

(Eu Yan Sang)

Oct 5, 2009

An old Eu Tong Sen Street sign, slightly blackened by exhaust fumes and auctioned off by authorities some years ago, hangs in a second-floor office in a three-storey shophouse, circa 1910, at 269 South Bridge Road. Nearby stands a tall, antique grandfather clock that once chimed the hour in the sprawling Eucliffe castle overlooking Repulse Bay in Hong Kong. The castle, one of several Eu homes, no longer exists, ...

Where Eucliffe castle was, for example, now stands an exclusive residential development. “Certainly, one apartment there today is worth what the whole piece of land was sold off for,”

Douk
29-10-09, 16:06
agree totally. Luck is a key factor in investment.

That's interesting! I learn so much from this forum. Thanks! :cheers1:

So is it like Paterson Road? West side "Jalan Anap/ One Tree Hill" landed cannot build high rise; east side all the landed turned into high rise, Huat Ah!!!. :spliff:

Sometimes it's really fate. How would you know thirty years ago whether to buy even or odd-numbered house. That's literally a multi-million dollar question.

What I'm trying to illustrate with this example is how much property prices could rise. To the extent that isn't it ridiculous that (e.g. 30 years ago) we might be haggling with the seller over whether the bungalow should be $195,000 or $185,000? Or worried whether the economy would enter recession and the bungalow end up losing 50% of its value (or $97,500)? :doh:

Let's not talk about Margate Road.

The Edge Singapore

The Eu Dynasty

(Eu Yan Sang)

Oct 5, 2009

An old Eu Tong Sen Street sign, slightly blackened by exhaust fumes and auctioned off by authorities some years ago, hangs in a second-floor office in a three-storey shophouse, circa 1910, at 269 South Bridge Road. Nearby stands a tall, antique grandfather clock that once chimed the hour in the sprawling Eucliffe castle overlooking Repulse Bay in Hong Kong. The castle, one of several Eu homes, no longer exists, ...

Where Eucliffe castle was, for example, now stands an exclusive residential development. “Certainly, one apartment there today is worth what the whole piece of land was sold off for,”

Reporter
29-10-09, 16:13
agree totally. Luck is a key factor in investment.
Not just investment, luck is needed in everything in life. e.g. love, career, etc..

If you are lucky, money will drop on your courtyard.

However, for that to happen, you still need to buy a house with a courtyard.
So, ... you need to take that first step ...

Fortune Favors The Bold

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 16:15
What I'm trying to illustrate with this example is how much property prices could rise. To the extent that isn't it ridiculous that (e.g. 30 years ago) we might be haggling with the seller over whether the bungalow should be $195,000 or $185,000? Or worried whether the economy would enter recession and the bungalow end up losing 50% of its value (or $97,500)?

As generally everyone would say and expect, SG property prices should rise over the long term. That is probably a safe guarantee. My parents bought Bedok 5-rm point block unit for $40K in 1980, today, 30 years later, value worth over $500k liao.

The big question is do you have the holding power to ride all ups and downs during the 30 years.

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 16:16
Not just investment, luck is needed in everything in life. e.g. love, career, etc..

Well said. Or hook on / up to somebody with that luck if you neither have it nor the balls to do it. ;)

bargain hunter
29-10-09, 16:27
Please PM me too! Many thanks! Its so hard to join your fan club, your fan mail has completely blocked off your mailbox! :)

Douk
29-10-09, 17:15

that's right. Let's get the vehicle.

Maybe, property_owner should just publish his way of investing instead of pm :D so that everyone can learn here.

Reporter
29-10-09, 17:19
that's right. Let's get the vehicle.

Maybe, property_owner should just publish his way of investing instead of pm :D so that everyone can learn here.
Maybe we should just meet and let him conduct a lecture?

Maybe some skill cannot be transferred by messaging?

Lucas
29-10-09, 18:06
Pm me too :-)

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 18:45
Let's say you invest in pty A with 2m. Now you sell at a profit of 2.5m. You must be thinking if u were to buy a better property and upgrade u might have to top up more cash/increase your loans as property might be much expensive. No doubt pty B(maybe about 3m) have better capital gain/location etc but as we knows, we are cautious with the bubble that might be forming and burst any time if something is to goes wrong again.

So now you sell pty A, instead of buying pty B where the risk is higher, you buy property C with 2m. Which is to me the location/comparison must be close to pty A. In the event pty B moves up, pty A will moves along too, likewise for pty C. You will still make money.

But if things turn sour, your commitment is still 2m. The sum you started out as investments. No need to worry about the higher bank installment etc.

This is my 2 cents, invests at your own risk. Market changes very fast. Don;t get caught off guard. Good time to buy now I feel. But buy with cautious. Do your homework will get you good deal.

Lastly, to me property is about holding power. Also not when you buy but what you buy.

Pardon me for my ang mo. I came from a chinese school.

In short

1) invest pty A at 2m, sell 2.5m
2) keep profit of 0.5m, re-invest the original 2m in pty C
3) when pty B (3m) moves up, price of A and C will also move up = gain
4) when things turn sour, hold pty C because profit of 0.5m already in pocket

do i make sense?

xebay11
29-10-09, 18:55
So now you sell pty A, instead of buying pty B where the risk is higher, you buy property C with 2m. Which is to me the location/comparison must be close to pty A.
do i make sense?

Question, if A and C are similar, if A goes to $2.5m, then C would be $2.5m also.

So why sell A?

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 19:00
Question, if A and C are similar, if A goes to $2.5m, then C would be $2.5m also.

So why sell A?

Various location/condo varies. So I just quote example.

A One Amber
B Seaview
C Esta

Regulators
29-10-09, 19:03
for 600k, divorce ur wife, buy 1 four rm n 1 3rm each, pay fully for 4rm rent out to finance ur 3rm. After all that done, fly to another country n marry her again n u still have 300k in the bank n own 2 ptys n still have ur wife lol.

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 19:07
for 600k, divorce ur wife, buy 1 four rm n 1 3rm each, pay fully for 4rm rent out to finance ur 3rm. After all that done, fly to another country n marry her again n u still have 300k in the bank n own 2 ptys n still have ur wife lol.

What if you are single?

Regulators
29-10-09, 19:13
my above refers to hdb with excellent rental yield. If u not so adventurous, then go for shophouse whch has hi rental returns whch u can live off depending on ur lifestyle

Property_Owner
29-10-09, 19:17
my above refers to hdb with excellent rental yield. If u not so adventurous, then go for shophouse whch has hi rental returns whch u can live off depending on ur lifestyle

I see. Btw what happened to Shaw Ctr? The shopping mall looks empty.

jlrx
29-10-09, 19:19

A One Amber
B Seaview
C Esta

Finally you write here ... I was trying to PM you but your INBOX was full. :scared-4:

My comments: If you sell A for $2.5m and buy B for $2m, that means you are taking profits of $500k.

This reduces your downside risk, but also reduces your upside gain. It's a double-edged sword.

Let's say the market shoots up 100% for all properties, then B will increase from $3m to $6m (a gain of $3m) but C will only increase from $2m to $4m (a gain of $2m).

But as xebay11 has asked, why then sell A in the first place? :confused:

Property A will also increase from $2.5m to $5m (a gain of $2.5m).

In contrast, the $500k cash in the bank won't be able to catch up in a bull market.

Of course if the market falls, then the $500k cash will look like a saviour! :p

Regulators
29-10-09, 19:25
if single just buy a mickey mouse unit and a 3rm hdb n pay both in full n live off rental incme of 1 of them. Get mickey mouse unit in RCR n near mrt. When pop boom to 6 over mil n everyone rushng to buy near mrt pty can choose to sell either at higher price n make money. Keep repeating cycle until u make a pile.
What if you are single?

mcmlxxvi
29-10-09, 22:17

A One Amber
B Seaview
C Esta
It would be a bit like a slight downgrade isnt it? Like how i sold Res@Somme in D8 to buy CR in D12 and CM in D14 with the profits. But now definitely one step closer to financial independence.

proud owner
29-10-09, 23:09
It would be a bit like a slight downgrade isnt it? Like how i sold Res@Somme in D8 to buy CR in D12 and CM in D14 with the profits. But now definitely one step closer to financial independence.

wow everyone here dam,n good

i feel so so amateur ...

must say this forum is a good

maybe someone should arrange a High tea ..and we all meet up ...

scarly NgT.F. is with us .. then we all can fk him face to face or worship him face to face

Reporter
29-10-09, 23:14

i feel so so amateur ...

scarly NgT.F. is with us .. then we all can fk him face to face or worship him face to face
"Don't mentioning my name!"
- Ng T.F.

http://www.justsharethis.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/1NgTengFong3.jpg

Property_Owner
30-10-09, 09:33
Of course if the market falls, then the $500k cash will look like a saviour! :p

This method is for the weak hearts. For property you will need to cash out to see your profit. But people sell for reasons.

Let me use this example.

The Sail #58-01

Launch price 978psf
1st transaction = 1140psf July 05 ( Why 1st owner sell so early?)
2nd transaction = 2600psf June 07 (2nd owner also sell too early, #36-01 sold 2668psf Oct 07, if he were to hold, my guess he will hit 3000psf if #36-01 can sell 2668psf)
3rd transaction = 1750psf Jan 09 ( Also sell too early, maybe panic at that time but doesn't he knows market will recover)
4th transaction = 2280psf Aug 09 ( another that sells too early too, #53-01 just lodged 2365psf, can he achieve higher if he had wait for #53-01 to sell first?)

Next transaction = What price will he sell? Peak of Sail stack 1 is 2820psf. Will he sell @ this price of wait till MBS launch then sells above 3K? Or end up making a loss? Let's wait to see the transaction.

Only time will tell.

Property_Owner
30-10-09, 09:45
lian he wan bao, 291009.

Hong Kong Tycoon Mr. CHOI Chiu Fai, Stanley buys a price of land at Sentosa Cove(Sandy Island at South Cove) at 1950 psf record for a 8500sqft area at 16.57M.

And he says its cheap..(before you say "siao", please continue reading)

For the record, he and a few friends invested in the Sail.
They saw the potential n bought a whole floor at avg 900psf, and sold it off 4 years later at 2500psf range, making a profit of 250%....

Sandy Island has got 18 plots of land , which 9 already sold out. avg at 1800psf.

Reporter
30-10-09, 10:36
I am surprised that everyone get so excited over Property Owner's "how to invest" methodology.

We can easily buy these "how to invest" methodologies from those NBA (B.S.) experts or learn it from our own useless NBA courses.

What set apart investor like myself from investor like Property Owner is simpy the "A B C" he mentioned.

What are his "A B C"?
What are my "A B C"?

Why is his A "The Sail", B "MBR", C "Southbank"? (Just for example.)
Why are my "A B C" something else?

This is what we need to learn from him.
"How to spell (smell) A, B and C!"
Those experts don't even know how to spell "A B C" and our useless NBA toilet-papers don't even have "A B C" printed on them.

I wonder how he can teach me ABC spelling ("what to invest") via PM.

august
30-10-09, 10:47
I am surprised that everyone get so excited over Property Owner's "how to invest" methodology.

We can easily buy these "how to invest" methodologies from those NBA (B.S.) experts or learn it from our own useless NBA courses.

What set apart investor like myself from investor like Property Owner is simpy the "A B C" he mentioned.

What are his "A B C"?
What are my "A B C"?

Why is his A "The Sail", B "MBR", C "Southbank"? (Just for example.)
Why are my "A B C" something else?

This is what we need to learn from him.
"How to spell (smell) A, B and C!"
Those experts don't even know how to spell "A B C" and our useless NBA toilet-papers don't even have "A B C" printed on them.

I wonder how he can teach me ABC spelling ("what to invest") via PM.

there is a saying keep it simple
most of the time the simplest approach is the best approach

however, common sense is not that common :o

mcmlxxvi
30-10-09, 11:09

i feel so so amateur ...

Aiya, better to keep to cyberspace. Perhaps to have better background everyone can give some small insignificant details of themselves eg.

Profession:
No. of times bought/sold:

The_Way_I_See_It
30-10-09, 11:47
As generally everyone would say and expect, SG property prices should rise over the long term. That is probably a safe guarantee. My parents bought Bedok 5-rm point block unit for $40K in 1980, today, 30 years later, value worth over $500k liao.

The big question is do you have the holding power to ride all ups and downs during the 30 years.
Your parents only need to pay $1-$1.50 for meal eating outside in 1980. Today, you need to pay at least $4 to $5.50. Inflation Inflation. Cannot compare 1980$ vs 2009$ like that.

mcmlxxvi
30-10-09, 11:52
Your parents only need to pay $1-$1.50 for meal eating outside in 1980. Today, you need to pay at least $4 to $5.50. Inflation Inflation. Cannot compare 1980$ vs 2009$ like that.

Still, it's not in the same exponential degree of growth. 4x vs > 10x.

jlrx
30-10-09, 18:07
This method is for the weak hearts. For property you will need to cash out to see your profit. But people sell for reasons.

Let me use this example.

The Sail #58-01

Launch price 978psf
2nd transaction = 2600psf June 07 (2nd owner also sell too early, #36-01 sold 2668psf Oct 07, if he were to hold, my guess he will hit 3000psf if #36-01 can sell 2668psf)
3rd transaction = 1750psf Jan 09 ( Also sell too early, maybe panic at that time but doesn't he knows market will recover)
4th transaction = 2280psf Aug 09 ( another that sells too early too, #53-01 just lodged 2365psf, can he achieve higher if he had wait for #53-01 to sell first?)

Next transaction = What price will he sell? Peak of Sail stack 1 is 2820psf. Will he sell @ this price of wait till MBS launch then sells above 3K? Or end up making a loss? Let's wait to see the transaction.

Only time will tell.

Actually, this whole property market is not good for the heart at all.

Imagine the Margate Road original owner who sold the bungalow in 1979 for $195,000 and realises that it was worth $4.8 million in 2006 (and now probably much more). Is that good for the heart?

Or the Eu Yan Sang family, who sold their Eucliffe Castle in Hong Kong's Repulse Bay for a price that is worth only one apartment today? Is that good for the heart?

That's why I find this whole property game very stressful.

If I buy and then the market crashes, it's not good for the heart.

If I sell and then the market shoots up, it's also not good for the heart.

However, if I had stayed out of the market totally, I would end up like one of those who missed the boat, writing complaint letters to the Straits Times forum and hoping that the market will crash. It's also not good for the heart.

Poor heart ... :scared-3:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/9367.jpg

forcez5
04-11-09, 13:08
conclusion : activate heart bypass :beats-me-man:

andy
04-11-09, 21:03
The Sail #58-01

Launch price 978psf

Only time will tell.
Why would someone buy at 2600psf and then sell at 1750psf? Did you think he needed the cash (for what) or he thought it would go down further.

But then again, it takes guts to buy in Jan 09, right?

jlrx
04-11-09, 23:51
Why would someone buy at 2600psf and then sell at 1750psf? Did you think he needed the cash (for what) or he thought it would go down further.

But then again, it takes guts to buy in Jan 09, right?

January 2009 was a very bleak period when everything was going down in free fall. :scared-3:

I didn't even dare come into this forum (partially also because last time there were many "unregistered" users cheering the downfall of the market, making this forum very unfriendly). Unlike today when most registered users here are fellow investors, hence whether the market goes up or down, we can come here to share our joy or misery. :p

Furthermore, I think The Sail is very volatile. Only those who have a strong heart, like Property_Owner, dare to play this project (and some more he bought 5 units!!! :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: )

conclusion : activate heart bypass :beats-me-man:

This property market's ups and downs may one day cause me to go for "heart bypass". :scared-3:

Regulators
05-11-09, 00:03
i think property_owner bought 5 units of Reflections, remember him saying that somewhere...

January 2009 was a very bleak period when everything was going down in free fall. :scared-3:

I didn't even dare come into this forum (partially also because last time there were many "unregistered" users cheering the downfall of the market, making this forum very unfriendly). Unlike today when most registered users here are fellow investors, hence whether the market goes up or down, we can come here to share our joy or misery. :p

Furthermore, I think The Sail is very volatile. Only those who have a strong heart, like Property_Owner, dare to play this project (and some more he bought 5 units!!! :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: )

This property market's ups and downs may one day cause me to go for "heart bypass". :scared-3:

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 08:40
Orchard Boulevard #43-05
Tenure= 99 Yrs From 13/03/2006
2852sqft,
4099psf, $11.69m
11 Sep 09

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 08:43
i think property_owner bought 5 units of Reflections, remember him saying that somewhere...

Only 2 units pal.

jlrx
05-11-09, 09:35
Orchard Boulevard #43-05
2852sqft,
4099psf, $11.69m
11 Sep 09

How are you able to check the floor area of this unit? :confused:

I tried to check the caveat but they didn't submit the floor area, very frustrating ...

Douk
05-11-09, 10:05

I tried to check the caveat but they didn't submit the floor area, very frustrating ...

X * Y = Z
X = Z/Y

:D :D

Reporter
05-11-09, 10:14
Orchard Boulevard #43-05
2852sqft,
4099psf, $11.69m
11 Sep 09
Thanks for your tips the other day.
I am executing my D9 plan later today.

Private Residential Units Sold in the Month of August 2009

Project Name .............. Locality . Units Sold To Date . Units Sold In Month . Highest $psf . Median $psf . Lowest $psf
The Orchard Residences . CCR ........ 150 .......................... 3 ................................ 4,099 ............ 3,499 ............ 2,780

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 10:15
huh? how can a caveat be submitted without the floor area? even URA shows the 2852sq ft, don't even need Realis.

THE ORCHARD RESIDENCES ORCHARD BOULEVARD Apartment 11,693,200 2,852 Strata 4,099 Sep-09

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 10:38

Cool, please update us what you bought. Just dun buy vida lavida

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 10:44
oh yeah, hope he is not buying that so called under 2100psf Vida on "offer".

Reporter
05-11-09, 10:49

oh yeah, hope he is not buying that so called under 2100psf Vida on "offer".
Nil Vida Lavida Lah.

... but I ain't saying that's bad ...

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 10:55
Nil Vida Lavida Lah.

... but I ain't saying that's bad ...

Huh. Orchard Residences?

jlrx
05-11-09, 11:20
To Property_Owner,

Thanks So Much for the info!

But as usual your inbox is full so cannot send my thank you message.

jlrx
05-11-09, 11:24
huh? how can a caveat be submitted without the floor area? even URA shows the 2852sq ft, don't even need Realis.

THE ORCHARD RESIDENCES ORCHARD BOULEVARD Apartment 11,693,200 2,852 Strata 4,099 Sep-09

Thanks for your info too ... :cheers1:

Alamak! This Realink is really terrible! I pay them some more and they don't even show the floor area! :simmering:

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 11:34
wah this realink really so terrible. is it the cheaper form of Realis but not by URA? blacklist them! :)

Thanks for your info too ... :cheers1:

Alamak! This Realink is really terrible! I pay them some more and they don't even show the floor area! :simmering:

andy
05-11-09, 11:34

I superimposed the average $psf of Sail from 1 year ago with the STI. There seems to be a perfect correlation in terms of price swings with very minimum lag:scared-4:

If that is true, isn't it better to put money in the STI since you can sell it alot faster than Sail?

Of course if Sail is 100% rentable, the capital layout is only 20%. However if the capital depreciation is massive and you cannot rent then the small time investor is in trouble, right?

Reporter
05-11-09, 11:35
Huh. Orchard Residences?
... no lah ... don't have your wealth to buy TOR leh ... will disclose discreetly next time ...

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 11:44
pros and cons i guess. 1 thing is for sure, ppty buyer for Sail has to have at least a certain minimum amount of few hundred k to few million AT LEAST. "1 lot" of the sail few hundred k, 1 lot of sti in tens of ks only. that's why you are right, if too small time investor, better off investing in sti.

Sail would have given 5 times leverage while if one takes up margin trading also at most 3 times leverage for sti. Of course your point about selling is true too, for the higher leveraged returns, its harder to sell and more for longer term.

that said, the sti is now sputtering, is the sail still correlated?

I superimposed the average $psf of Sail from 1 year ago with the STI. There seems to be a perfect correlation in terms of price swings with very minimum lag:scared-4:

If that is true, isn't it better to put money in the STI since you can sell it alot faster than Sail?

Of course if Sail is 100% rentable, the capital layout is only 20%. However if the capital depreciation is massive and you cannot rent then the small time investor is in trouble, right?

jlrx
05-11-09, 12:02
wah this realink really so terrible. is it the cheaper form of Realis but not by URA? blacklist them! :)

Yes. It's the one run by SISV. I guess that's the difference between $1800 per year vs $438 per year. :mad:

andy
05-11-09, 12:13
pros and cons i guess. 1 thing is for sure, ppty buyer for Sail has to have at least a certain minimum amount of few hundred k to few million AT LEAST. "1 lot" of the sail few hundred k, 1 lot of sti in tens of ks only. that's why you are right, if too small time investor, better off investing in sti.

Sail would have given 5 times leverage while if one takes up margin trading also at most 3 times leverage for sti. Of course your point about selling is true too, for the higher leveraged returns, its harder to sell and more for longer term.

Yes the Sail is hovering between $1600 and $2800 depending on unit level but if you take the average $psf it is more or less stagnant since Jun09.

If interest rate is low than it is better to go for leverage investment, right?

Anyone knows what is the vacancy rate for property like Sail? Is it very rentable?

jlrx
05-11-09, 12:15

Wow ... this forum so exciting!!! :scared-4:

Got "real-time" D9 plan execution. :p

But ... you are "Reporter" ... I thought you are only supposed to "report? :rolleyes:

andy
05-11-09, 12:17
Which kind of properties would you rather invest from these data below?

58 Floor Sail
1st transaction = 1140psf July 05
2nd transaction = 2600psf June 07
3rd transaction = 1748psf Jan 09
4th transaction = 2280psf Aug 09

23Floor NS
1st transaction= 884psf Nov 04
2nd transaction=1454psf May 07
3rd transaction=1373psf May 09

Your reasons?

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 12:25
problem is, interest rate is low good to go for leverage, if interest rate goes up high, can't get out of the high leverage investment. :D

So, always need to keep a cash buffer in case something goes wrong but of course, in that case, leverage effects are decreased.

Yes the Sail is hovering between $1600 and $2800 depending on unit level but if you take the average $psf it is more or less stagnant since Jun09.

If interest rate is low than it is better to go for leverage investment, right?

Anyone knows what is the vacancy rate for property like Sail? Is it very rentable?

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 12:28
problem is, interest rate is low good to go for leverage, if interest rate goes up high, can't get out of the high leverage investment. :D

So, always need to keep a cash buffer in case something goes wrong but of course, in that case, leverage effects are decreased.

But if interest rate head north, that mean your unit should have capital gain! Time to cash out.

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 12:35
well, low interest rate has lasted so long that someone who bought at 1200psf earlier or someone who bought at 1600psf now also bought on low interest rate. its easy for the 1200psf guy to take the capital gain and cash out but not necessarily so for the 1600psf guy right?

But if interest rate head north, that mean your unit should have capital gain! Time to cash out.

august
05-11-09, 12:37
well, low interest rate has lasted so long that someone who bought at 1200psf earlier or someone who bought at 1600psf now also bought on low interest rate. its easy for the 1200psf guy to take the capital gain and cash out but not necessarily so for the 1600psf guy right?
it is relative lor...
end of day make more or make less is better than never make.. :ashamed1:

dtrax
05-11-09, 12:37

But ... you are "Reporter" ... I thought you are only supposed to "report? :rolleyes:

why reporter cannot own and invest condos meh??
anw keep us updated on your plan :)

dtrax
05-11-09, 12:41

economy gd = increase in interest rates = better cap gain. So buy now, leveraging on low interest to hedge against possible inflation or economic progress in a few yrs? But still am curious for the current rental market for those who bought resale units unless they have holding power.. since it is still going on the down trend.

andy
05-11-09, 12:49
economy gd = increase in interest rates = better cap gain. So buy now, leveraging on low interest to hedge against possible inflation or economic progress in a few yrs? But still am curious for the current rental market for those who bought resale units unless they have holding power.. since it is still going on the down trend.

One other scenario is too many units TOP in a few years. Those with 5 times leverage cannot find tenants. Economy == good==interest rate higher. Then how for the last one holding the baby?

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 12:52
it is relative lor...
end of day make more or make less is better than never make.. :ashamed1:

Yup. End of the day is how much you want to make.

Reporter
05-11-09, 13:26

I have just acted against the grain by not buying a small unit or a MM unit in D9.

I guess I can only wait for CCR prices to move up soon right?
I guess I can only hope that 2009 Christmas is a repeat of 2006 Christmas right?
I guess I can only hope MBS launch can be as successful as MBR launch right?
I guess ..........

You forgot to highlight the most important words.

"An apartment larger than 1,000 sqft (93 sqm) is categorized as luxury under local industry standards."
Mickey Mouse is a cute character and I am sort of a fan of ©Disney, Mickey Mouse and his friends.

I know MM units have many fans here recently. However, I will be acting against the grain in a few days time. I will post after I have executed my plan.

Haha.. No way am I going to pay $1200psf for a Serangoon condo..

THIS IS CRAZY...

You are a reporter? Can quote me ? :)
I am Reporter - not a reporter. :D

I know what you mean. They say it is crazy to pay $1,450 for an unit in Guillemard/Geyland too. In the end, within 90 minutes, ...

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 13:42
I have just acted against the grain by not buying a small unit or a MM unit in D9.

I guess I can only wait for CCR prices to move up soon right?
I guess I can only hope that 2009 Christmas is a repeat of 2006 Christmas right?
I guess I can only hope MBS launch can be as successful as MBR launch right?
I guess ..........

I know what are you buying.

forcez5
05-11-09, 13:45
I know what are you buying.

MM? = Mickey Mouse :cheers6:

jlrx
05-11-09, 14:50

Of course if Sail is 100% rentable, the capital layout is only 20%. However if the capital depreciation is massive and you cannot rent then the small time investor is in trouble, right?pros and cons i guess. 1 thing is for sure, ppty buyer for Sail has to have at least a certain minimum amount of few hundred k to few million AT LEAST. "1 lot" of the sail few hundred k, 1 lot of sti in tens of ks only. that's why you are right, if too small time investor, better off investing in sti.

The best way to leverage is to buy a "warrant" on properties (No I don't mean those stock warrants).

The leverage is approximately 2.5 times (depending on the allowable plot ratio vs existing build-up). (This leverage is on top of the leverage mentioned above !!! :scared-4: ).

For each $1,000 psf increase in property prices, this "warrant" increases by $2,500 psf !!! :scared-4:

Can ION Orchard please increase another $1,000 psf from $4,099 psf to $5,099 psf? Please? :spliff:

And then from $5,099 to $6,099 psf !!! Please ??? :scared-4:

focus
05-11-09, 15:59
Wa... can anyone let me in on the D9 Execution Plan! :(

Sounds like I am missing out on all the action in the forum..

I also forum member leh.. share share... :p

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 16:14
err, everyone wants to be in on the execution plan but reporter holds the key, keeping us in suspense. :)

Wa... can anyone let me in on the D9 Execution Plan! :(

Sounds like I am missing out on all the action in the forum..

I also forum member leh.. share share... :p

dtrax
05-11-09, 16:15
sure.. feel free to join in. Guess correct condo got price? Property owner got so many units.. maybe he can sponsor the winning prize? way better than Mac SG Monopoly.. give real condo as prize :)

bargain hunter
05-11-09, 16:19
need to start a new thread liao. we gather all the clues as he drops us hints one by one until one of us gets it! sure better than macdonald's game.

sure.. feel free to join in. Guess correct condo got price? Property owner got so many units.. maybe he can sponsor the winning prize? way better than Mac SG Monopoly.. give real condo as prize :)

andy
05-11-09, 16:26
need to start a new thread liao. we gather all the clues as he drops us hints one by one until one of us gets it! sure better than macdonald's game.

I take a shot
How about Tate Res?

dtrax
05-11-09, 16:34
I take a shot
How about Tate Res?

Pick your choice wisely... only got 1 chance per forum member per IP address per real person identity to collect your condo winning if you guess it right

andy
05-11-09, 16:40
Pick your choice wisely... only got 1 chance per forum member per IP address per real person identity to collect your condo winning if you guess it right

ok what is the price? what are the rules?

what if 2 IP addresses pick the winning condo?

you have access to forumers IP address meh?

dtrax
05-11-09, 16:59
Win real condo not easy... if it was tat easy, no need work liao
Got a total of 3 elimination rounds:
#1 Round 1:
Guess the correct condo

Got it right? U're lucky head on to round 2

Deadline: Upon completion of S&P

#2 Round 2:
Guess the correct unit/stack

Deadline: TBA

#3 Round 3:
Guess the correct price

Rules: the quantum can be round off to the nearest $10,000

Deadline: TBA

You think it was this easy? No way, even if got Ardmore Park condo, there is a high chance no one will win.

Sponsors: TBA
Looking either one of the following: a fully paid completed condo, new launch or partially paid condo/landed (sponsor will pay 20%, winner have to pay the remaining 80% - It can be a GCB but if winner cannot afford to take 80% loan, the unit will be donated to a charity of your choice)

Property_Owner
05-11-09, 18:22
Trillium. My guess.

JohnTan
10-11-09, 15:33
The best way to leverage is to buy a "warrant" on properties (No I don't mean those stock warrants).

The leverage is approximately 2.5 times (depending on the allowable plot ratio vs existing build-up). (This leverage is on top of the leverage mentioned above !!! :scared-4: ).

For each $1,000 psf increase in property prices, this "warrant" increases by $2,500 psf !!! :scared-4:

Can ION Orchard please increase another $1,000 psf from $4,099 psf to $5,099 psf? Please? :spliff:

And then from $5,099 to $6,099 psf !!! Please ??? :scared-4:

Great post. Learnt something new, have truely beneifited again from your posts. I will start looking for other "warrants" but must be freehold cos the wait is a long long long one.

Reporter
16-11-09, 17:50
Orchard Boulevard #43-05
2852sqft,
4099psf, $11.69m
11 Sep 09
What a difference 2 months can make!

With $4,150 psf done in October, $4,099 psf seems small now.

$4,150 psf?
Wow!
Who is that "people who are too rich" who bought?

Private Residential Units Sold in the Month of October 2009

Project Name . Locality . Units Sold To Date . Units Sold In Month . Highest $psf . Median $psf . Lowest $psf
Boulevard Vue .. CCR ......... 4 .............................. 1 ................................ 4,150 ............ 4,150 ............. 4,150

jlrx
16-11-09, 20:01
What a difference 2 months can make!

With $4,150 psf done in October, $4,099 psf seems small now.

Wow ... looks like it's prime district's turn to take off! :scared-4:

Reporter is right to purchase a D9 property earlier this month in his "D9 execution plan"! :cheers1:

Unfortunately I can't execute my "D9 execution plan" until my "godfather" gives me the money.

Problem is I don't even know who my "godfather" is going to be this time? :confused:

http://www.asiaone.com/A1MEDIA/news/08Aug07/20070824.112924_bt_richestlist.jpg