PDA

View Full Version : RCR Owners: What Car Do You Drive?

gfoo
12-10-09, 11:50
Since condos and cars are an intrinsic part of the Singapore psyche, here's a poll by District group to suss out what your neighbours are driving

noblebaby
12-10-09, 16:08
BMW

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reporter
12-10-09, 16:21
BMW

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Err ... cool ... which one?
116i, X1 20d, 318i, 320Ci, X3 20i, Z4 23i, 520i, X5 30i, 630i, X6 35i or 760Li? Or ... M ...?

noblebaby
12-10-09, 16:27
B=BUS; M=MRT; W=WALK :tongue3:

Err ... cool ... which one?
116i, X1 20d, 318i, 320Ci, X3 20i, Z4 23i, 520i, X5 30i, 630i, X6 35i or 760Li? Or ... M ...?

cheerful
12-10-09, 16:47
Thought it's interesting that he bothers to repeat this same poll in the various threads ... maybe when the poll expires, can also try to see if any correlation of property categories with the car types. Guess those BMW (bus, mrt, walk) can choose that last category lor ... :rolleyes:

Reporter
12-10-09, 16:55
B=BUS; M=MRT; W=WALK :tongue3:
Bus?

Err ... which one?

Scania K230UB (9,300cc Inline5 Diesel)?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2186/3542165573_9420bc653b.jpg

Or
Mercedes-Benz OC500LE (11,967cc Inline6 CDI)?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/SMB1H_on_300.jpg

new2mondrian
12-10-09, 18:19
Hahaha.... car is a depreciating asset. anything that moves will do.

I'd love to be part of the BMW (bus mrt walk) club too, and was part of it for the first few years of my marriage before the baby came. After which, we got a Jap car below $50K to bring the little one around. But since there is NO option on the poll to choose a car below $50K, does this mean we don't drive? Maybe to gfoo, $50K and below is not a car. :scared-4:

I won't be part of RCR club for much longer. We got a HDB flat at Holland (does this spell D10???) and will be moving in in a couple of months' time. But we will stay vested in RCR. :D

xebay11
12-10-09, 19:09
I won't be part of RCR club for much longer. We got a HDB flat at Holland (does this spell D10???) and will be moving in in a couple of months' time. But we will stay vested in RCR. :D

Thought you have a landed property in the East Coast?

new2mondrian
12-10-09, 19:24
Thought you have a landed property in the East Coast?

yup. but i don't intend to stay in both. i posted a long long time ago that i am determined that my child should grow up in a HDB flat... and i still intend to deliver that. :)

Property_Owner
12-10-09, 19:30
yup. but i don't intend to stay in both. i posted a long long time ago that i am determined that my child should grow up in a HDB flat... and i still intend to deliver that. :)

so strange. thought all parents want their kids to grow up in private:)

new2mondrian
12-10-09, 19:35
so strange. thought all parents want their kids to grow up in private:)

hahaha.... each to his own. :D

xebay11
12-10-09, 19:44

You mean you hold three properties? Landed, Condo and HDB all at the same time?

new2mondrian
12-10-09, 19:55
You mean you hold three properties? Landed, Condo and HDB all at the same time?

yup, across all 3 classes... but definitely staying in the HDB for years and years to come..... HDB suits us just fine. close to 1300 sqft, 3 decent sized bedrooms, costs us less than $550K, and a 5 mins walk to Holland Village. But most of all, I want my child to grow up among the middle class. If he throws his toys on the floor and they are spoilt, we never buy a replacement. He tries to repair it with daddy. If cannot be repaired, that's just too bad.

Even IF I renovate it nicely (ard $70K) and put in a Gaggenau coffee machine, a HDB will still cost me less than $650K. And I have spare change to while my weekends away along the quaint cafes along Chip Bee Gardens. That's the beauty of HDB dwelling too.

xebay11
12-10-09, 20:09
yup, across all 3 classes... but definitely staying in the HDB for years and years to come..... HDB suits us just fine. close to 1300 sqft, 3 decent sized bedrooms, costs us less than $550K, and a 5 mins walk to Holland Village. But most of all, I want my child to grow up among the middle class. If he throws his toys on the floor and they are spoilt, we never buy a replacement. He tries to repair it with daddy. If cannot be repaired, that's just too bad.

Even IF I renovate it nicely (ard $70K) and put in a Gaggenau coffee machine, a HDB will still cost me less than $650K. And I have spare change to while my weekends away along the quaint cafes along Chip Bee Gardens. That's the beauty of HDB dwelling too.

I am interested in HDB too, but I heard that there is income ceiling, is this applicable for resale? Also if I buy, I must stay in HDB? You bought what size HDB at $550k, four room flat? Must be very old, good investment?

new2mondrian
12-10-09, 20:23
I am interested in HDB too, but I heard that there is income ceiling, is this applicable for resale? Also if I buy, I must stay in HDB? You bought what size HDB at $550k, four room flat? Must be very old, good investment?

To your questions:

1) Resale flat has no income ceiling (ie the sky is the limit). We bought from the resale market. The $8K income ceiling only applies to brand new units purchased from the HDB.

2) Yes. There is a ONE year time bar to stay in the flat (for buyers of resale flats, and not taking a loan from HDB. read: only commercial bank loans allowed). After ONE year, the owner is free to resell the unit. IF rental, then a THREE years time bar applies (ie have to stay in the flat for a minimum of 3 years before HDB allows u to rent it out)

3) Mine is a 5-room. Got it when the market tanked earlier this year. Not too old and the flat condition is very good (ie no cracks, no water seepage, no ceiling problems). Anyway, I have always believed that the roof over my head is for consumption, not for investment. But again, this opinion is pretty contentious in this forum. So each to his own again. :)

gfoo
12-10-09, 20:55
Hahaha.... car is a depreciating asset. anything that moves will do.

I'd love to be part of the BMW (bus mrt walk) club too, and was part of it for the first few years of my marriage before the baby came. After which, we got a Jap car below $50K to bring the little one around. But since there is NO option on the poll to choose a car below $50K, does this mean we don't drive? Maybe to gfoo, $50K and below is not a car. :scared-4:

sorry i really wasn't aware there were jap cars below 50 grand so i left em out, my bad. i know there are cherries and pimentos but they are milk tins w strap-on motorcycle engines so i ruled those out as no one takea those seriously anyways

xebay11
12-10-09, 21:59
To your questions:

1) Resale flat has no income ceiling (ie the sky is the limit). We bought from the resale market. The $8K income ceiling only applies to brand new units purchased from the HDB.

2) Yes. There is a ONE year time bar to stay in the flat (for buyers of resale flats, and not taking a loan from HDB. read: only commercial bank loans allowed). After ONE year, the owner is free to resell the unit. IF rental, then a THREE years time bar applies (ie have to stay in the flat for a minimum of 3 years before HDB allows u to rent it out)

3) Mine is a 5-room. Got it when the market tanked earlier this year. Not too old and the flat condition is very good (ie no cracks, no water seepage, no ceiling problems). Anyway, I have always believed that the roof over my head is for consumption, not for investment. But again, this opinion is pretty contentious in this forum. So each to his own again. :)

Wow! 5 room flat for under $550k in Holland area you got a very good deal.

jwong71
12-10-09, 22:08

Wow.. HDB for own stay, condo for offspring and landed for retirement funds.??

This is similar plan what my frzs had for himself too.. The bayshore for ownstay, another one for their newborn, another one for retirement funds.

The rich never stop at just 1 property.
Am i right or wrong.?:D

jlrx
12-10-09, 23:20

If those "Straits Times Forum Complainers" come to this forum and read what you have done, they are going to flood the Straits Times with their complaints again. :doh:

sorry i really wasn't aware there were jap cars below 50 grand so i left em out, my bad. i know there are cherries and pimentos but they are milk tins w strap-on motorcycle engines so i ruled those out as no one takea those seriously anyways

Alamak! They better not come here and read this ... :doh:

echotrain
12-10-09, 23:34
If those "Straits Times Forum Complainers" come to this forum and read what you have done, they are going to flood the Straits Times with their complaints again. :doh:

Alamak! They better not come here and read this ... :doh:

It is ok. Our friend here planned and worked hard. He did not rob the bank to buy the HDB. He did not fight unreasonably to buy a brand new flat from HDB by petitioning and sorts. Without him, the seller would not have made a pile too.

Reporter
13-10-09, 00:09

It is ok. Our friend here planned and worked hard. He did not rob the bank to buy the HDB. He did not fight unreasonably to buy a brand new flat from HDB by petitioning and sorts. Without him, the seller would not have made a pile too.
I like what he is doing except I would have bought a 1,300 sqft resale condo (maybe a EC) at $550,000 at that time. The added security of a condo makes it more convenient for me to bring up my kids and look after my parents, while enjoying the middle-class lifestyle.

He did, in a very small way, contributed to the demand for resale flats,
I believe he has, therefore, unintentionally and indirectly affected the price of the new flat a very little bit.

jlrx
13-10-09, 02:58
I like what he is doing except I would have bought a 1,300 sqft resale condo (maybe a EC) at $550,000 at that time. The added security of a condo makes it more convenient for me to bring up my kids and look after my parents, while enjoying the middle-class lifestyle.

I believe he has, therefore, unintentionally and indirectly affected the price of the new flat a very little bit.

shhhh ... don't let those "Straits Times Forum Complainers" see this .. otherwise they will magnify it 100 times. Then SPH, HDB and Mah Bow Tan will have no rest. :scared-3:

xebay11
13-10-09, 06:24

No what he did is correct, as you get older your salary may drop and as the condo ages, maintenance fees may increase, so staying in HDB is best. Landed or HDB is good for older people, forget abt condo living, they are only good for small window of time.

new2mondrian
13-10-09, 09:34
Hahahaa... You guys are really funny. :) The Straits Times complainers indeed! But the public housing supply is a highly regulated tool, that is well calibrated to suit the mass market. With the elections coming round, I believe there will be many many more well-timed forum letters, as well as an equally well-timed response from the HDB. So let's just wait and see.

But to put it on record, HDB does not prohibit any Singaporean or PR from buying a resale HDB flat, as long as there is a family unit and not more than 1 HDB flat is owned at any point in time. And we did officially declare to HDB about the multiple properties ownership at the point of purchase (this is a required section in the purchase of flat document). Hence, the as long as the flat owner does not receive any Government grant; nor is receiving any concessionary HDB loan, there is really no restriction on purchase of resale HDB flats. It is a natural right of a citizen. But of course, HDB flats have many more restrictions on rental, and prohibition on gambling activities (ie no mahjong sessions... not that we know how to play anyway). But from a self-stay perspective, it is actually not bad.

We are a family of bookworms. We really have tonnes of books, from floor to ceiling and from wall to wall. Therefore a Mickey Mouse unit does not work for us too. We really need decent sized rooms to house all the books. But then again, Kindle and Sony PSP are now widely available... so maybe in time to come we don't need so much storage for books anymore.

As for the EC, not really a possible choice for us. Our parents all stay around the Holland/Ghim Moh area. It makes sense for us to stay nearby as they get older too. It is never possible to find a EC in the Holland/Bt Timah area either..

gfoo: Ur car price benchmark is against the recent run-up right? Way back in 2006-2007, many Jap cars (eg Nissan Sunny/March/Latio, Toyota Vios, Mitsubishi Lancer) were all below the $50K price range... no need to resort to a motocycle engine powered cherry or pimento. :)

xebay11
13-10-09, 09:49
So you rent out your landed home? A corner terrace surely can fit all your books right?

polarinda
13-10-09, 13:44
i have 5 landed and am staying in a 3 room flat in Boonlay. I agree too that's how my kid should be brought up. I dun really like Holland area as I work in Boonlay.

azeoprop
14-10-09, 14:04
I ride a bike, jam free and free parking almost everywhere. :cool:

land118
21-09-11, 00:47
Hayabusa, Bad Boy, Sprawl, Venum Clinch Gear, Combat Sports, RevgearHottest Fight Gear and Accessories SRH - Skin - Metal Mulisha - FamousTapouT MMA Clothing & Apparel - T-Shirts, Hats, Shorts, & More! Buy Save on Wholesale Tapout (http://www.clothingbase.com/brand_56.html) Find NexTag Sellers' Lowest Price! And Save Big Designer Closeout Sales Buy Direct from China Factories. Sale Prices Latest Fashions and Styles on Sale Name Brands on Sale!

this is NOT the place for advertisements! Have reported u to Mr Funny!:simmering: