PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam fights for family that fears Taliban: "It could have been me too"

reporter2
03-10-21, 12:39
Amsterdam fights for family that fears Taliban: "It could have been me too"

October 2, 2021

Afghan driving school owner, Seweta Zirak, from Amsterdam is busy rescuing a family from Kabul. Earlier we spoke to her about her family in Afghanistan. She can't do anything for them now, but she certainly doesn't sit still. She therefore calls attention to a family for which she can hopefully mean something. Why? Because she could have been one of them herself.

https://i.imgur.com/9jzwBIH.png

The Afghan Seweta came to the Netherlands when she was sixteen. She then fled from the 'monsters' that she prefers not to mention by name. She still has traumas from her time in her home country that are resurfacing due to the current situation in Afghanistan. In July she went back with her family for a while, about which she previously told NH Nieuws .

Family met

She was there just before the Taliban came back to power. During this visit, Seweta met a family whose father had died in the fight against the Taliban in 2012. He then fought alongside the Americans.

Now that the Taliban has returned to power, the surviving family members, the sister-in-law, a brother, the mother and two girls, aged about 14 and 15, are once again in danger. "The Taliban have said they will retaliate for every drop of blood lost to Afghanistan."

Situation more unsafe

The family had previously fled from their hometown in Daikundi province to Kabul. A month ago, the brothers and a sister of the father also followed to Kabul. During their journey they were taken off the bus and taken by the Taliban. Seweta does not know how they are doing now. The other family members have arrived safely in Kabul.

But even there, the situation is getting worse. "The Taliban are not fully settled there yet, but as soon as they are, they will go wild. They are already looking for families of soldiers who have worked with the Americans."

Also, the family of the ethnic minority is Hazara, as is Seweta herself. That is why Seweta is so committed to the family. "I could have been one of them. I could have been in their situation."

Home

The consequences of 'the monsters' are noticeable, says Seweta. "Girls are still allowed to go to primary school and university. But not to secondary school. Those are plans to keep the population stupid. And what will they get for education? Shariah education?"

Everyone is now at home, says Seweta. "They can't go beyond the garden." The Taliban has also announced that all girls aged 15 and under and widows under 40 must marry a Taliban soldier. In the province (Daikundi) they have already achieved this. Not yet in the capital."

Call

Seweta fears for the family. And that's why she's applying to the US embassy to evacuate the family. But she gets stuck. "It's all very complicated. I hope people can help me. If there are lawyers who want that? There are medals, different awards from him as a soldier." It all serves as proof. She also has photos and videos. She collects everything from the family to legitimize that they can leave.

In fact, Seweta would prefer that the family come to the Netherlands. The family itself would like that too. "There are shortages in care, in the police. I could personally guide those girls, so that they will soon have a place in society," says Seweta.