PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett Johansson settles Black Widow lawsuit with Disney

New Reporter
01-10-21, 21:09
Scarlett Johansson settles Black Widow lawsuit with Disney

The actor is ‘happy to have resolved our differences’ after legal dispute over release of Marvel movie on Disney+

Andrew Pulver

1 Oct 2021

https://i.imgur.com/prBuccu.jpg
Scarlett Johansson with Florence Pugh in Black Widow.

Scarlett Johansson and Disney have settled their lawsuit over the former’s earnings from the Marvel superhero movie Black Widow, which Johansson initiated in July over what she claimed was a breach of contract after Disney chose to release the film simultaneously in cinemas and on its Disney+ streaming platform.

In a statement reported by a number of publications, Johansson said: “I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney. I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”

Alan Bergman, chairman of Disney Studios Content, confirmed the news in a statement, saying: “I’m very pleased that we have been able to come to a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding Black Widow. We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s Tower of Terror.”

The terms of the agreement have not been disclosed, though a report in Deadline suggests that Disney may pay Johansson around $40m (£29.7m).

Johansson launched the lawsuit after Disney opted for a “hybrid” release for Black Widow, claiming that her fees were based on the box-office performance of the film. The current global box-office revenue stands at $377m (£280m) but the film suffered a precipitous decline of 67% in its second week on release in the US in July, the worst recorded by any Marvel Cinematic Universe film. Johansson claimed that her lawyers asked to renegotiate her contract after Disney’s change of release strategy.

Disney’s initial response to the lawsuit was unexpectedly combative, issuing a statement saying: “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.” The studio also took the unusual step of revealing Johansson’s upfront fee of $20m. Johansson responded by calling the studio “misogynistic”.

Johansson is currently producing and starring in a Disney project, Tower of Terror, as well as appearing alongside Tom Hanks and Margot Robbie in a new film from Wes Anderson, backed by Disney subsidiary Searchlight.