PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise, opinions in property investment

DayDreamer
14-08-17, 09:46
Hi forumers,

I am 38. Married with a 3 yr old.

Lately business has not that good and I am starting to have self doubts.

I feel very insecure and frustrated as there are strings of unsuccessful business attempts.

I am quite a conservative person. So no big bets.

No special or expensive hobbies. No big holidays. Drive a jap car. No maid.

I have been at this form since 2010. Read many great articles and you guys are just great with numbers and insights.

I am looking for advise and opinions on
1) Commercial 60 yrs vs freehold
2) Condo 99 yrs vs freehold
3) HDB

I guess the bottomline is should I in the long term convert to freehold properties?

Thanks in advance.

indomie
14-08-17, 10:58
I am sorry...but if your intent is to purchase property during time of personal instability. Probably u shouldn't. Just keep doing what u do now and preserve cash. Just remember when situation turn around quickly buy property with renting to tenant in mind.

indomie
14-08-17, 11:02
Freehold with no tenant is worse than 60 years leasehold full of tenants

jwong71
14-08-17, 11:25
Hi forumers,

I feel very insecure and frustrated as there are strings of unsuccessful business attempts.

I have been at this form since 2010. Read many great articles and you guys are just great with numbers and insights.

3) HDB

I guess the bottomline is should I in the long term convert to freehold properties?

Thanks in advance.

I prefer freehold, unless it's hdb. Then no choice 99yrs leasehold.

Anything below 60yrs lease can't get the max usage for cpf, and loan tenure

Kelonguni
14-08-17, 11:32
Job unstable definitely HDB

jwong71
14-08-17, 11:35
Hmmm... since 2010 you were in this forum, and married with 3 yrs old kid with no hdb yet.?

Even getting a hdb in yr 2010, it's also profiting now

Arcachon
14-08-17, 11:37
Hi forumers,

3) HDB

Thanks in advance.

First what do you have.

Next your wife

gentlemanofleisure
14-08-17, 11:44
if unstable cashflow, go for BTO.

DayDreamer
14-08-17, 14:50
Thanks for writing back.

After reading about the Geylang Lorong 3 article, it makes me kind of worried. That is why I want to seek advise and opinion, whether in the long run to sell the lease hold and buy into freehold.

1) HDB - On loan. (Plan to stay for another 7 yrs. Once my son gets into the school and stays till P3, sell off. Buy another HDB, stay for 5 yrs, sell off. Buy EC, stay 5 yrs, sell off. Buy Condo.
I will be 55. From this exercise, I should be able to accumulate 600-800k to pay for condo. Not sure feasible or realistic.

2) Condo 1(FH) - Fully paid. Own use.

3) Condo 2(99) - On loan. Tenanted.

4) Condo 3(FH) (Malaysia) - Fully paid. Tenanted.

5) Commercial 1(60) - Fully paid. Tenanted.

6) Commercial 2(60) - On loan. Own use and partially tenanted.

7) Commercial 3(99) (Malaysia) - Fully paid. Abandon.

8) Wife is working. But is thinking to go back school. Only child. Parents have a HDB. Fully paid. I guess it will go to her.

indomie
14-08-17, 15:22
Thanks for writing back.

After reading about the Geylang Lorong 3 article, it makes me kind of worried. That is why I want to seek advise and opinion, whether in the long run to sell the lease hold and buy into freehold.

1) HDB - On loan. (Plan to stay for another 7 yrs. Once my son gets into the school and stays till P3, sell off. Buy another HDB, stay for 5 yrs, sell off. Buy EC, stay 5 yrs, sell off. Buy Condo.
I will be 55. From this exercise, I should be able to accumulate 600-800k to pay for condo. Not sure feasible or realistic.

8) Wife is working. But is thinking to go back school. Only child. Parents have a HDB. Fully paid. I guess it will go to her.

You are doing well as you are. Singaporeans like to proclaim poor when they are millionaires.

jwong71
14-08-17, 16:19
Thanks for writing back.

For your 1) plan. To sell off after 7 years and buy another hdb and sell off again to buy EC.

Issue is u sell off hdb, how do you buy back hdb when u owe condos..? And how you apply for EC when u owe condos.??

Kelonguni
14-08-17, 17:13
Arcachon will ask you how many 10 years you have.

Next time 800k not definitely can upgrade to good sized condo. Maybe MM condo?

otansg
14-08-17, 17:23
For your 1) plan. To sell off after 7 years and buy another hdb and sell off again to buy EC.

Issue is u sell off hdb, how do you buy back hdb when u owe condos..? And how you apply for EC when u owe condos.??

Are those his portfolios (looks damn impressive for a 38 yr old who obviously lacks knowledge of current housing rules )?? Or Daydreaming ah!

DayDreamer
14-08-17, 18:20

In the near future, I consider to sell both condos. Condo 1 getting old about 20 yrs old and Condo 2 about 10 yrs in 7 yrs time.
If not, I can move them into my company. But have to pay additional tax. Don't think it is worth it. However, an opportunity to buy FH.
Anyone here have experience buying condo under company?

new2mondrian
14-08-17, 19:11
In the near future, I consider to sell both condos. Condo 1 getting old about 20 yrs old and Condo 2 about 10 yrs in 7 yrs time.
If not, I can move them into my company. But have to pay additional tax. Don't think it is worth it. However, an opportunity to buy FH.
Anyone here have experience buying condo under company?

You move the residential properties into a company, company is subject to ABSD and stamp duties with the transfer. Plus you will have a hard time convincing IRAS that the properties are not held by the company for trading purposes, and hence any revenue gains should not be subject to tax, once held under a company.

Anyway I may be sprouting nonsense. For such matters, go talk to IRAS or a formal tax advisor.

new2mondrian
14-08-17, 19:28
Hi forumers,

3) HDB

Thanks in advance.

Any equity loans or business loans taken against any of these properties, including the paid up ones?

Cash flow is critical when it comes to sustaining a business. Strange that you are looking at LH to FH property conversion (which mean fresh round of stamp duties, agent/conveyancing charges) and more cash tied up with properties (fresh purchases are subject to TDSR) rather than reinvesting into the business.

However, if you have spare cash, yes by all means do so. But your question is very broad. Leasehold properties (non-landed) can be subject to rejuvenation through the en-bloc process, and the yield can be more attractive than FH, depending on location. It all boils down to whether you can find an attractively priced replacement at current prices. Otherwise you are just making the taxman, agents, lawyers and bankers happy. :)

tonymontana
14-08-17, 19:35
Thanks for writing back.

how are you planning to do (1) when you have so many property? You can't buy HDB again once you let go your current one, unless rules change.

new2mondrian
14-08-17, 19:37
My Guess - he will be decoupling from his Wife... :)

DayDreamer
14-08-17, 22:54
You are doing well as you are. Singaporeans like to proclaim poor when they are millionaires.

Not really. Business in the red for the last 3 yrs. Cut cost and hoping for a turn around. I am a Malaysian PR.

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 00:19
Noted on all points. I have only property loans.

The thought of leasehold ending has always bother me. Yes, I know I won't live forever but all the hard work and sacrifices put in is an opportunity cost.

You guys are right, plan 1 is not that easy to execute. I will stay put for now.

Any equity loans or business loans taken against any of these properties, including the paid up ones?

Cash flow is critical when it comes to sustaining a business. Strange that you are looking at LH to FH property conversion (which mean fresh round of stamp duties, agent/conveyancing charges) and more cash tied up with properties (fresh purchases are subject to TDSR) rather than reinvesting into the business.

However, if you have spare cash, yes by all means do so. But your question is very broad. Leasehold properties (non-landed) can be subject to rejuvenation through the en-bloc process, and the yield can be more attractive than FH, depending on location. It all boils down to whether you can find an attractively priced replacement at current prices. Otherwise you are just making the taxman, agents, lawyers and bankers happy. :)

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 01:06
Anyone with old FH commercial experience? Is it worth paying the extra premium? Commercial 1 is left with 40 yrs. If I don't sell in the next 10 yrs, I will probably have to hold onto it till the end. I think price will decline once it pass the 30 yr mark.

I was thinking that once I pay off about 80% of Commercial 2, to look into replacement options for Commercial 1. Maybe a new 60 yrs LH is better than FH. One FH can probably buy two 60 yrs LH. Any thoughts?

Arcachon
15-08-17, 05:39
Thanks for writing back.

Only one word, Cash flow.

Tulip09
15-08-17, 07:42
Depends on what your goals are. I would say that generally LH gives better rental yield. But if you are buying for longer term capital gain then I would recommend FH. Having said that, I have made better gains with some of my LH vs FH because I bought them cheap. Also my current highest performing unit is a FH commercial because I bought it during a time of ' distress' 2008. You would need to consider your Budget and what is available in that price range as well as your holding power. Remember you make when you buy, so entry point is important. Last.y buy what you know and understand and are comfortable with. Apart from Residential and Commercial there is also Industrial B1 & 2. As for HDB , it's more for own stay but a unit in the right location can years down the road give you a leg up if you want to upgrade.
To answer your last question, if buying LH I tend to go for newer developments. As the lease runs down price tends to not move as much unless there is en bloc potential.

new2mondrian
15-08-17, 08:10
Anyone with old FH commercial experience? Is it worth paying the extra premium? Commercial 1 is left with 40 yrs. If I don't sell in the next 10 yrs, I will probably have to hold onto it till the end. I think price will decline once it pass the 30 yr mark.

I was thinking that once I pay off about 80% of Commercial 2, to look into replacement options for Commercial 1. Maybe a new 60 yrs LH is better than FH. One FH can probably buy two 60 yrs LH. Any thoughts?

Personally I am not optimistic about commercial properties (industrial ones even worse, cos there's always JTC as a master landlord to put a damper on any upside in yield). Business models have changed. The premise of having a brick and mortar locale for conducting a business no longer holds. Over time, people may not even have to venture out of their homes to buy goods, to work, or to obtain a service. IoT will make such brick and mortar based businesses uncompetitive with time.

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 10:05
Points noted. You mentioned LH has en bloc potential but it would not happen to all right?
So, do you reckon there a cut off point (yrs) where the value decline as the lease gets closer to expiring. What is the course of action?

Depends on what your goals are. I would say that generally LH gives better rental yield. But if you are buying for longer term capital gain then I would recommend FH. Having said that, I have made better gains with some of my LH vs FH because I bought them cheap. Also my current highest performing unit is a FH commercial because I bought it during a time of ' distress' 2008. You would need to consider your Budget and what is available in that price range as well as your holding power. Remember you make when you buy, so entry point is important. Last.y buy what you know and understand and are comfortable with. Apart from Residential and Commercial there is also Industrial B1 & 2. As for HDB , it's more for own stay but a unit in the right location can years down the road give you a leg up if you want to upgrade.
To answer your last question, if buying LH I tend to go for newer developments. As the lease runs down price tends to not move as much unless there is en bloc potential.

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 10:19
Like Tulip09, my highest performing unit is in commercial. But you have a point there. People are more mobile and connected and working from wherever they are at.
But I think there is still a need for space. I have a friend doing online baby products and every few years, he is looking for bigger space for his inventory.

Personally I am not optimistic about commercial properties (industrial ones even worse, cos there's always JTC as a master landlord to put a damper on any upside in yield). Business models have changed. The premise of having a brick and mortar locale for conducting a business no longer holds. Over time, people may not even have to venture out of their homes to buy goods, to work, or to obtain a service. IoT will make such brick and mortar based businesses uncompetitive with time.

indomie
15-08-17, 10:46
Not really. Business in the red for the last 3 yrs. Cut cost and hoping for a turn around. I am a Malaysian PR.
You and me are already awaken by the reality of business. Profit margin is so thin. Operating cost escalating. Competitions are vicious. This period of structural transition from traditional economy to online economy you can't avoid. Its the reason why I invest in property.

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 11:33
Ya, I guess the same reason too. Main business is not growing but shrinking.
But it is from my father's friends who made me realised that they invested in properties and are making a killing at their old age. They made money in their business but it is their properties that made the most. All happily retired. However, that period is over.

I am not sure if my approach is correct. I have never sold any properties in sg. So when I read that people in the forum are making a killing by flipping, I am quite envious. My risk appetite is very small.
Once I pay off enough of the loan, then I will look into properties.

You and me are already awaken by the reality of business. Profit margin is so thin. Operating cost escalating. Competitions are vicious. This period of structural transition from traditional economy to online economy you can't avoid. Its the reason why I invest in property.

indomie
15-08-17, 13:01
But it is from my father's friends who made me realised that they invested in properties and are making a killing at their old age. They made money in their business but it is their properties that made the most. All happily retired. However, that period is over.

I am not sure if my approach is correct. I have never sold any properties in sg. So when I read that people in the forum are making a killing by flipping, I am quite envious. My risk appetite is very small.
I can't see the point of keeping the main business. There is no more ups and downs cycle. Its flat line now. Any fat profit margin left is quickly deflated by competitors. What is left are clients relying on credit line. But I am grateful that I am awaken to this situation early.

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 13:59
Now even I give 60-90 days credit to my customers, they also need to consider. It is that bad.

I can't see the point of keeping the main business. There is no more ups and downs cycle. Its flat line now. Any fat profit margin left is quickly deflated by competitors. What is left are clients relying on credit line. But I am grateful that I am awaken to this situation early.

DayDreamer
15-08-17, 14:09
Cash flow??? I have set aside some money enough to pay off the outstanding property loans in event of downturn but unlikely to happen. Even so, I reckon a certain percentage top up.

Only one word, Cash flow.

frumnat
15-08-17, 14:13

You should be very thankful for your father’s friends. Many ones do not have such luck to realize property WAS the way to make a fortune. It is getting much tougher now with all the regulations and measures.

Tulip09
15-08-17, 15:45
Points noted. You mentioned LH has en bloc potential but it would not happen to all right?
So, do you reckon there a cut off point (yrs) where the value decline as the lease gets closer to expiring. What is the course of action?

As a development ages , sinking fund goes up too. Also rental may fall as you can't compete with neighbouring newer developments. All this has to be factored into price when buying. Generally I haven't bought any LH that is above 10 years in age. And I would try to unload before it hits the 20 year mark . Not all LH has en bloc potential so most of them will underperform market even when there is a boom. Location matters too I think. The market is more ' forgiving' of older LH when the location is great. But if it isn't well maintained because owners refuse to pay the high Sinking fund, then it won't be easy to rent out at a decent rental.
So far my Industrial has been easy to lease at 7% yield. But when the economy isn't doing well Industrial and commercial will be hit first. So you need to assess your risk appetite.

frumnat
15-08-17, 16:52
As a development ages , sinking fund goes up too. Also rental may fall as you can't compete with neighbouring newer developments. All this has to be factored into price when buying. Generally I haven't bought any LH that is above 10 years in age. And I would try to unload before it hits the 20 year mark . Not all LH has en bloc potential so most of them will underperform market even when there is a boom. Location matters too I think. The market is more ' forgiving' of older LH when the location is great. But if it isn't well maintained because owners refuse to pay the high Sinking fund, then it won't be easy to rent out at a decent rental.
So far my Industrial has been easy to lease at 7% yield. But when the economy isn't doing well Industrial and commercial will be hit first. So you need to assess your risk appetite.

It seems like the definition of “good location” can be quite subjective. During last CNY, my buddy was talking about the en-bloc potential of his place. He lives at Baywater which is almost 17 years old. Upcoming Bedok Reservoir MRT (DTL3) is right smack next to his place. He loves the location and neighborhood but yet the condo is fast aging as LH property.

Depending on the market, I suggest for him to consider FH in next few years.

frumnat
16-08-17, 13:49
It seems like the definition of “good location” can be quite subjective. During last CNY, my buddy was talking about the en-bloc potential of his place. He lives at Baywater which is almost 17 years old. Upcoming Bedok Reservoir MRT (DTL3) is right smack next to his place. He loves the location and neighborhood but yet the condo is fast aging as LH property.

Depending on the market, I suggest for him to consider FH in next few years.

So what do you guys think?

DayDreamer
16-08-17, 13:57
Thanks for sharing your tips and views. I will keep that in mind.

DayDreamer
16-08-17, 14:06
Like your friend, my LH is just next to a mall and mrt. TOP about 2 yrs ago. Price went up and dropped. I anticipated the price not to swing that much because of the location but guess I am wrong.

So what do you guys think?

DayDreamer
16-08-17, 14:15
My commercial 2 will also have a mrt end of this year. About 500m away. But so far, I don't see any price swing, sale or better rental.

DayDreamer
16-08-17, 14:40
So are most of you guys still in property, collecting rental or sold everything, made money and invested in other assets? Or waiting.

Arcachon
16-08-17, 20:35
Me singing the same song for years.

DayDreamer
16-08-17, 21:12
What would that be?

Me singing the same song for years.

Arcachon
16-08-17, 21:17
What would that be?

Can Someone sing for me, else I will sing again.

anythingwhatever
17-08-17, 10:20
Can Someone sing for me, else I will sing again.

Elvis: "Wise men said, only fools rushed in, but I can't help falling..." :)

DayDreamer
17-08-17, 15:37
:dejection:

propertyxpresssg
17-08-17, 16:39
You are most welcome on this forum. Are looking advice or opinion related to property investment? If you want to invest in property in Singapore you must contact with property xpress in Singapore. Property xpress is the leading property service provider in Singapore. It has lots of different types of property in Singapore.

DayDreamer
17-08-17, 20:39
Chris Martin "And you can say what is, or fight for it
Close your mind or take a risk
You can say it’s mine and clench your fist
Or see each sunrise as a gift"

Elvis: "Wise men said, only fools rushed in, but I can't help falling..." :)

Arcachon
17-08-17, 20:44
Tommorrow if I can walk up Humpbawang hill I am Happy.

DayDreamer
17-08-17, 20:54
Catch no ball sir :)

Tommorrow if I can walk up Humpbawang hill I am Happy.

Arcachon
17-08-17, 21:19
The Hill with a lot of Hump

We call it Humpbawang hill.

Tommorrow I go count Hump.

https://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20525482_10211216494141093_9167548822382942123_n.jpg?oh=dcc0e38954cb144021e88cc2c8f2f62f&oe=59EBCBCF

https://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20525635_10211216492021040_2916444952589172753_n.jpg?oh=7537436c2aace6fd102eed9b684784e6&oe=5A1E2DB2

https://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20525944_10211216500461251_8294779308474922076_n.jpg?oh=92b8b3f426e6a1951c1759f185f1da31&oe=5A365829

https://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20525388_10211216486020890_9145420953492280148_n.jpg?oh=af064d385e7ad47afbc32e2b085f26ca&oe=5A26DD47

https://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20479871_10211216493381074_3029862433136416051_n.jpg?oh=dba2537114c2e08a7b35981ab51063f6&oe=59ED42F9

DayDreamer
17-08-17, 21:37
Quite a surprise, today my neighbour came over and ask if I would be interested to sell my unit. He is expanding and looking for space. I think I can ask for a slight premium as his current office is next door and he wants to join them together. I can make maybe 150-180k. This is probably a one time opportunity.

However, I am using the place for business. And will also need to find a new place at the same area as my suppliers are all there.

Cons
1) I don't see any good deals for the new place.
2) Need to pay new fees, duties, Reno, etc
3) Forgo MRT coming this year and new Bidadari development.

Pros
1) Use profit to downpay.
2) Can look into freehold.

Will you keep or sell?

Arcachon
18-08-17, 08:08
Quite a surprise, today my neighbour came over and ask if I would be interested to sell my unit. He is expanding and looking for space. I think I can ask for a slight premium as his current office is next door and he wants to join them together. I can make maybe 150-180k. This is probably a one time opportunity.

However, I am using the place for business. And will also need to find a new place at the same area as my suppliers are all there.

Cons
1) I don't see any good deals for the new place.
2) Need to pay new fees, duties, Reno, etc
3) Forgo MRT coming this year and new Bidadari development.

Pros
1) Use profit to downpay.
2) Can look into freehold.

Will you keep or sell?

Tell him you want to buy over his unit instead.

DayDreamer
18-08-17, 13:24
It is worth a try during the next downturn. If price is right. But not now. No money to be made.

Tell him you want to buy over his unit instead.

otansg
18-08-17, 18:37
It is worth a try during the next downturn. If price is right. But not now. No money to be made.

You do not know what Archacon is trying to tell you?

DayDreamer
19-08-17, 01:09
I am sorry but I don't quite understand him in this case. Been away from the forum for almost 2 yrs.
I read his other threads and he provides good suggestions. Maybe I did not read enough.

In fact a lot are you are very knowledgable in many different areas compare to me.

I am looking to restructure my portfolio in the coming 10 years, by then I will be 48. Maybe along the way, I can grab 1 or 2 more and I will call it a day.

I have not sold anything in Singapore, so only paper gain and loss. But not a single cent in my pocket.
Still working hard to payoff and reduce the loan. Thus I am not sure if this is the right strategy to only hold.

I was just reading the cpf thread, sad to say I am quite outdated.

You do not know what Archacon is trying to tell you?