PDA

View Full Version : Decoupling of HDB Flat between married couples disallowed

HP65
01-04-16, 19:56
Wonder if it's April Fool's joke? Sometimes I wonder if policy makers are monitoring this forum or not lol

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/living-in-an-hdb-flat/changing-owners-occupiers/resale-part-share

Read some discussions recently in some threads on decoupling. Finally this loop hole has been plugged if it's true. HDB flats revert to original objective of providing shelter to majority of people and not as investment tool. Good move.

bargain hunter
01-04-16, 20:38
is this new? i thought all along its like this?

"Resale part-share is not allowed between a married couple or when the purpose of the transaction is solely to include another family member as a co-owner of the flat."

HP65
01-04-16, 21:09
Honestly, I'm not familiar with HDB rulings. A friend of mine forwarded to me.

teddybear
01-04-16, 21:27
Obviously new, because people I know have been decoupling HDB flat to buy private property without paying ABSD..........

It is obviously a loophole for so long, imagine a couple can decouple a HDB flat to ownership under 1 spouse's name and then the other spouse can buy private property under his/her own name without paying ABSD?
Then what for HDB insist that must use both couple's name to buy HDB flat in the first place? Might as well let people buy HDB flat under 1 spouse's name??? :tsk-tsk:

However, why is it not reported in the newspaper?

is this new? i thought all along its like this?

"Resale part-share is not allowed between a married couple or when the purpose of the transaction is solely to include another family member as a co-owner of the flat."

bargain hunter
01-04-16, 22:19
Obviously new, because people I know have been decoupling HDB flat to buy private property without paying ABSD..........

It is obviously a loophole for so long, imagine a couple can decouple a HDB flat to ownership under 1 spouse's name and then the other spouse can buy private property under his/her own name without paying ABSD?
Then what for HDB insist that must use both couple's name to buy HDB flat in the first place? Might as well let people buy HDB flat under 1 spouse's name??? :tsk-tsk:

However, why is it not reported in the newspaper?

this statement has always been there. the right way to do it is:

Transfer of Flat Ownership
Due to a change in your family’s circumstances such as marriage, divorce, or financial hardship, existing flat owners may need to effect a change in flat ownership within your family members.

One way to do this is by transfer without monetary consideration. The other is to do a transfer pursuant to a Court Order, in circumstances such as divorce. (note the first sentence, not the 2nd!)

teddybear
01-04-16, 22:46
In the few cases I know, there are really no changes in circumstances!
The only real change is that 1 spouse withdraw name from the HDB flat ownership and only changed their name from ownership to inhabitant of the said HDB flat.....

This is "not so obviously" allowed until now.......
So from now on, is it still allowed????
If still allowed, people who want to decouple HDB flat better do it quick before law changes............ :playful:

Due to a change in your family’s circumstances such as marriage, divorce, or financial hardship, existing flat owners may need to effect a change in flat ownership within your family members.

One way to do this is by transfer without monetary consideration. The other is to do a transfer pursuant to a Court Order, in circumstances such as divorce. (note the first sentence, not the 2nd!)

bargain hunter
01-04-16, 23:01
In the few cases I know, there are really no changes in circumstances!
The only real change is that 1 spouse withdraw name from the HDB flat ownership and only changed their name from ownership to inhabitant of the said HDB flat.....

This is "not so obviously" allowed until now.......
So from now on, is it still allowed????
If still allowed, people who want to decouple HDB flat better do it quick before law changes............ :playful:

its case by case so see heng or suay when go to the hdb branch office. they need not entertain whoever is applying so please be polite. lol. there is no official announcement so i think the rules remain the same: part sell to spouse is not allowed. transfer without monetary consideration will be considered on a case by case basis where success rate < or = to rejection rate.

henryhk
02-04-16, 07:21
The risk of decoupling is high....better think twice, but u are sure tat is a good choice, then pls go ahead😀

august
02-04-16, 10:41

Under 'Reason for Transfer of Flat Ownership', it says 'There is a change in the existing family structure (such as divorce, marriage or demise of an owner), or the existing owners need to do an ownership change to retain the flat.'

So it seems to exclude transfer without money consideration as a vaid reason?

bargain hunter
02-04-16, 11:55
Under 'Reason for Transfer of Flat Ownership', it says 'There is a change in the existing family structure (such as divorce, marriage or demise of an owner), or the existing owners need to do an ownership change to retain the flat.'

So it seems to exclude transfer without money consideration as a vaid reason?

"or the existing owners need to do an ownership change to retain the flat." what kind of scenario would this be?

Kelonguni
02-04-16, 12:27
"or the existing owners need to do an ownership change to retain the flat." what kind of scenario would this be?

I guess maybe one or both owners retired and cannot sustain the payment?

bargain hunter
02-04-16, 12:45
I guess maybe one or both owners retired and cannot sustain the payment?

so similarly, financial hardship for loss of job? transfer to the other who still has a job?

irisng
02-04-16, 13:00
its case by case so see heng or suay when go to the hdb branch office. they need not entertain whoever is applying so please be polite. lol. there is no official announcement so i think the rules remain the same: part sell to spouse is not allowed. transfer without monetary consideration will be considered on a case by case basis where success rate < or = to rejection rate.

Agree. My friend who had lost his job, got his BTO recently, went to HDB to apply for loan but was being pushed here and there, nobody is going to entertain him. Under such circumstances, can a person be still calm. At least let him know whether is he eligible or not for the loan, but nobody is going to give him a definite answer.

Kelonguni
02-04-16, 15:04
I guess so as it may involve the use of CPF Ordinary funds.

so similarly, financial hardship for loss of job? transfer to the other who still has a job?

bargain hunter
02-04-16, 22:14
Agree. My friend who had lost his job, got his BTO recently, went to HDB to apply for loan but was being pushed here and there, nobody is going to entertain him. Under such circumstances, can a person be still calm. At least let him know whether is he eligible or not for the loan, but nobody is going to give him a definite answer.

yeah, really heng suay. branch office pple r generally nice pple but may be ignorant, so its important to try to gain access to the branch manager (email of each branch's manager can be found on hdb website). no comments on hdb main office. really heng suay. your friend may need to approach MP for help?

irisng
04-04-16, 08:41
yeah, really heng suay. branch office pple r generally nice pple but may be ignorant, so its important to try to gain access to the branch manager (email of each branch's manager can be found on hdb website). no comments on hdb main office. really heng suay. your friend may need to approach MP for help?

In fact, he wanted to approach the MP to complain about the attitude of the staff but in the end, he didn't. He is not educated, already 59 years old and not married, now he has to use all his CPF money (about $300k+) to pay for the house which left him nothing now.

If I'm not wrong, I think the staff asked him to approach the officer, and the officer asked my friend to approach another department and then this department asked him to approach another, in the end he gave up.

Kelonguni
04-04-16, 11:16
I thought HDB loan has to be applied and approved when applying for BTO? If got CPF can slowly deduct...

Or does one get the BTO then apply for loan? Something seems wrong there...

In fact, he wanted to approach the MP to complain about the attitude of the staff but in the end, he didn't. He is not educated, already 59 years old and not married, now he has to use all his CPF money (about $300k+) to pay for the house which left him nothing now.

If I'm not wrong, I think the staff asked him to approach the officer, and the officer asked my friend to approach another department and then this department asked him to approach another, in the end he gave up.

irisng
05-04-16, 08:45
I thought HDB loan has to be applied and approved when applying for BTO? If got CPF can slowly deduct...

Or does one get the BTO then apply for loan? Something seems wrong there...

I guess is when TOP, then apply for loan. As for CPF, I think is only when you have loan, then CPF Board will deduct monthly instalment from your CPF account or for my friend's case, he had already withdrawn his CPF money, so if he has loan, he can pay HDB monthly instalment through his bank account instead of one lump sum to HDB if no loan.

HP65
05-04-16, 13:22

Thanks BH. I think you are right. Transfer by way of gifting is the way to decouple. So there really isn't a change. Sorry for the confusion.

bargain hunter
05-04-16, 14:25
Thanks BH. I think you are right. Transfer by way of gifting is the way to decouple. So there really isn't a change. Sorry for the confusion.

perhaps someone did start it as an april fools' joke. instead, agents started circulating about the transfer without monetary consideration option after that.

hopeful
05-04-16, 15:08

perhaps what they mean is a person were to inherit a HDB flat and already possessed one. That person need to change ownership of either the inherited flat or his own flat, so he transfer ownership to children.

irisng
06-04-16, 07:56
I guess is when TOP, then apply for loan. As for CPF, I think is only when you have loan, then CPF Board will deduct monthly instalment from your CPF account or for my friend's case, he had already withdrawn his CPF money, so if he has loan, he can pay HDB monthly instalment through his bank account instead of one lump sum to HDB if no loan.

Oops, sorry is need to apply the loan 1 month before collection of key.

Can a married couple decouple their private property, then either one of them apply for new or buy resale HDB together with his/her parent but parent's name as occupier?

Can a single citizen >40 years old apply for 4 room BTO?

Kelonguni
06-04-16, 10:34
Can a married couple decouple their private property, then either one of them apply for new or buy resale HDB together with his/her parent but parent's name as occupier? By right cannot, because cannot form nuclear family that excludes one's spouse.

Can a single citizen >40 years old apply for 4 room BTO? Cannot. 2-rm BTO max I think.

irisng
06-04-16, 12:45
Can a married couple decouple their private property, then either one of them apply for new or buy resale HDB together with his/her parent but parent's name as occupier? By right cannot, because cannot form nuclear family that excludes one's spouse.

Can a single citizen >40 years old apply for 4 room BTO? Cannot. 2-rm BTO max I think.

Thank you for your reply.