PDA

View Full Version : UOB gets nod to sue over inflated home loans for Sentosa Cove condo

reporter2
01-03-16, 15:27
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/uob-gets-nod-to-sue-over-inflated-home-loans-for-sentosa-cove-condo

UOB gets nod to sue over inflated home loans for Sentosa Cove condo

Feb 29, 2016

High Court allows bank to sue Lippo Group subsidiary, 7 others for 'misrepresentation'

K.C. Vijayan
Senior Law Correspondent

The High Court has cleared the way for United Overseas Bank to sue two real estate agents for alleged deceit and conspiracy over inflated loans for 38 units at a luxury condominium in Sentosa Cove.

Apart from the two agents, the bank is also suing five other individuals and developer Lippo Marina Collection (LMC) for conspiracy, with damages to be assessed.

UOB is alleging that excessive furniture rebates provided to buyers had deflated the stated sale prices of the Marina Collection condo units, which the housing loans were based on.

The sale price adjustments of the 99-year lease units breached housing loan cap rules set by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, UOB alleged.

The bank also claimed it had been misled by Lippo Group subsidiary LMC and the other defendants, as it was not informed about the substantial rebates that exceeded the market norm.

For instance, a unit with a stated sale price of $5.98 million was given a furniture rebate of $1.78 million, while the bank loan granted to the buyer was $4.79 million - more than the actual sale price of $4.2 million.

UOB also claimed that many of the buyers did not have genuine means to service the housing loans, but were merely fronts procured by the defendants to enter into purchase agreements with Lippo Marina. Of the 38 loans, 37 have defaulted.

LMC, represented by lawyer Siraj Omar, is vigorously denying the claims made against it.

Among other things, it said the loans were a matter solely between the buyers and UOB, and that it had no knowledge of any alleged misrepresentation of the purchase price.

The other defendants, variously represented by lawyers A. S. Shanker, Eugene Thuraisingham and Mirza Namazie, have also filed defence documents denying the claims. Pre-trial exchanges are ongoing.

In judgment grounds released last week over a preliminary point of the case, Judicial Commissioner Aedit Abdullah ruled that UOB was not precluded from suing for fraud or deceit against the two real estate agents.

The two defendants had jointly denied there was conspiracy or deceit in their defence to the main suit, and had countered that UOB's vice-president of housing loans at the time had been aware of all matters in relation to the buyers' housing loan applications.

They claimed she had also suggested cash transfers between relevant accounts.

Their lawyer A. S. Shanker argued that as she was from UOB, whatever she did was attributable to the bank and, thus, it cannot be said that the bank was defrauded by the two defendants.

Her knowledge would have stopped the bank from bringing the various claims against them.

At issue before the court was whether this knowledge, or action, by the vice-president can be attributed to the bank and, therefore, preclude it from claiming the two misled the bank and committed deceit.

UOB had applied to settle this issue, but an assistant registrar had dismissed its case.

The High Court has since allowed the bank's appeal as argued by its lawyer Eddee Ng.

The judicial commissioner stressed that his finding does not mean the two defendants had committed fraud or were involved in a conspiracy.

He clarified that the defendants are free to defend against the bank's claims in the main trial in due course and the issue he ruled on will be relevant in relation to specific defences they had raised in denying the claims.

The judge also allowed the bank's appeal to strike out several portions in the duo's statement of defence, as they "disclosed no reasonable defence".

A High Court pre-trial conference in relation to the main case involving all eight defendants and UOB was held last week.

amk
03-03-16, 16:43
I absolutely love this case :)
It's Wee against Riady.

"it's solely between the buyers and UOB", nice one Lippo . where did you find the 38 guys ?

august
03-03-16, 22:57
I absolutely love this case :)
It's Wee against Riady.

"it's solely between the buyers and UOB", nice one Lippo . where did you find the 38 guys ?

Two old foxs slug it out. I am betting Wee to triump.

bargain hunter
04-03-16, 10:27
but in the worst case, lippo gets away and the scapegoats bear the losses? that won't be much of a triumph.

amk
04-03-16, 11:57
but in the worst case, lippo gets away and the scapegoats bear the losses? that won't be much of a triumph.

that is the BEST case Lippo hopes for ! "none of my business, you can jail your banker and the 38 guys for cheating, for all I care". This is exactly what Lippo wants.

For UOB the target is to get the sales declared as void, with all proceeds returned. Or incriminate Lippo as the party who masterminds/encourages/devises the scheme, and get it to pay for UOB's "losses", which this case is the whole loan quantum.

newbie11
04-03-16, 22:18
It's not 38 guys. Only the agent and his family I heard.

hopeful
02-04-16, 10:10
Doesn't UOB have its own valuation team?
What does its valuation team say about the value of Marina Collection at that point in time?

If UOB's valuers has determined that value is only at $4million, then loan will only be at 80% LTV, ie $3.2million.
Instead UOB's own valuers agree that the LMC sale price of $5.98million, hence with 80% LTV, $4.79million was loan out.

Buyer's income and ability to repay the mortgage is besides the point.
and I believed it is the borrower's duty to reveal any furniture discount, not the developer.

So shouldn't the spotlight be on UOB's valuers and their valuation methods?

Amber Woods
02-04-16, 13:42
This case came before the law came into being. There was no need then to declare the nett price after any discount vouchers even though lawyers are supposed to look into the final details of the sale. During the boom time, banks were so willing to match developers' asking price.

Like bankers, valuers were valuing new developments base on future demand and not entirely base on last transacted prices of similar properties.

During boom time, bankers, valuers and lawyers all wanted to make money and valuers not wanting to loose business, also match developers' asking price.

You can say there was some kind of "industry collusion" which happen during property boom time.

When the party is finally over, and when borrows start to default, we now see each one trying to blame each other. The real estate industry is greed driven.

hopeful
02-04-16, 17:11
timing is everything.

1) if furniture discount is "out-of-the-blue", AFTER everything is settled, loan given out , caveat lodged etc, then the buyers were not wrong not to declare furniture in mortgage application, they "didn't know" when they fill in the loan application form.

2) Why real estate agent kena? Generally do real estate agents have a care and duty to the bank? or is it because those 2 received fees, commissions from UOB?

3) Do developer got a duty to the bank to report? even if so, Lippo may claimed there maybe "administrative oversight" like in Ngee Ann vs Taka.

Just curious, whatever happend to the 1 loan that did not default. Did UOB partially recalled the loan or as long as can service the loan, no partial recalled even though loan amount > net value after furniture discount

amk
02-04-16, 23:10
Doesn't UOB have its own valuation team?
So shouldn't the spotlight be on UOB's valuers and their valuation methods?

No what. Uob can easily say : loan amt is the valuation or selling price, whichever is lower. I can value it as 100mil, but if selling px is 5 mil, I loan u based on 5 mil. My valuation 100mil stays in my book, so I have a hugely over collateralized loan, very gd what.

This case to be honest, nobody is innocent. Who asked uob to be so greedy ? Lippo is no less shrewd than you. Wee you meet your match. Lippo can even say yes I gave out huge furniture discounts to distort prices, so what, you are the one that granted the loan, not me. I dun have a duty to tell you my voucher , I am not a party of your loan contract. Uob can only nail lippo on one ground, that is, lippo was the one that initiated, designed, the scheme and taught the agent how to duped the banker. I heard what they did is simply deposit 200k become a priority customer, then as priority customer, loan granted immediately without even checking too much income details. Then transfer out the 200k then give to the next guy, become another priority customer, then do another loan, and so on. If the bank's lending practice is so loose, u got ur own self to blame. Lippo just needs to prove he was not the one that made up this game plan can already. From lippo perspective, you uob can go file civil suit against your own banker and the agent and the borrowers, and bankcrupt thm for all I care.