PDA

View Full Version : Tenant stringing us along

plastic
22-11-15, 12:25
2 months prior to end of lease, I asked tenant if he wanted to renew. He agreed to extend the lease by another year.

Then one month later, he said he found a better place and does not want to renew with me anymore. One whole month was wasted in looking for new tenant because he strung me along. I also bought a new appliance for him on the context of lease renewal.

Any recourse can I seek from this tenant? Can I ask for compensation for the one month time loss? Thanks.

Kelonguni
22-11-15, 14:12
What does your tenancy agreement say?

Arcachon
22-11-15, 15:08
Do you have the email, the message between you and the tenant? Anything in black and white.

If don't have, there are nothing you can do.

If have than iaw to the tenancy agreement made the tenant pay according to the tenancy agreement.

irisng
23-11-15, 07:46
Plastic, sorry to make use of your thread for one of my questions.

Since it is on the topic regarding the tenant stringing us along, I know of someone who rented out his commercial property, he asked his tenant to leave because this tenant kept dragging his rental. This tenant was one kind, he shifted away without informing my friend until my friend contacted him. He owned my friend 2 months rental (with GST) and asked my friend to use his 2 months deposit (without GST) to offset but still short of GST amount. During the handover, he claimed that he lost the main door key and he spoilt the main door by forcing it open. He said he wanted to sell us his aircond (already installed in the office) for $6k claiming that he bought $12k but when my friend wanted him to show his original receipt, he couldn't produce. What should my friend do now?

Citizen
23-11-15, 08:08
Legally your friend is on upper hand, just move on and find new tenant. 清官难断家务事

plastic
23-11-15, 17:33
Haven't sign the agreement yet. Tenant agreed to renew via text. Will the old agreement hold?

Arcachon
24-11-15, 03:13
Haven't sign the agreement yet. The tenant agreed to renew via text. Will the old agreement hold?

Do you want to bring the tenant to court, if yes.

Inform your tenant first, know how much you can be compensated and see whether he agree.

If he disagrees, you have his employment pass or PR tell him you not only going to bring him to court also you will inform ICA.

thomastansb
24-11-15, 08:39
Don't bother. Extremely hard to sue for damages. You have to prove it in court (impossible if you ask me), engage lawyer, pay court's fees. All these will be much much higher than what you can claim. Also, a text message does not form a part of any contract because of the existing TA.

Haven't sign the agreement yet. Tenant agreed to renew via text. Will the old agreement hold?

Arcachon
24-11-15, 10:46
Any lawyer can give your 5 cents worth.

martialsin
24-11-15, 11:14

CONVEYANCING AND LAW OF PROPERTY ACT

Conveyance to be by deed in English language
53.—(1) A conveyance of any estate or interest in land other than a lease for a period not exceeding 7 years at a rack rent shall be void at law unless it is by deed in the English language.