PDA

View Full Version : Who should be responsible?

irisng
29-10-15, 19:31
If the open net optical fibre along the common corridor spoilt and affect our internet connection in our unit, who should pay for the repair, the mgt or the owner? According to the contractor, it is because the cable along the common corridor is spoilt, they need to open up the common corridor ceiling board to access to the cable. The mgt said that we should pay for all the cost including the opening and sealing up of the ceiling board at the common corridor but the contractor said that the mgt should pay. The contractor said that he had done the same case in another condo and the mgt paid for it. My this mgt "suck", so difficult to get her and once get her, she said she is not sure and will check with her senior and then never get back again till we have to call again. Any way to change the MCST?

Arcachon
29-10-15, 20:59
https://www.facebook.com/groups/917833728302212/

irisng
15-11-15, 07:36
Anybody has any lobang of the contractor who knows how to open and close the hole opening to access to the fibre optic cable. My management keeps insisted that we must pay for it. At first, we were told that it is only about $95 by the contractor but he quoted the management $150. In the end, when we decided to pay, the contractor said is $321 (inclusive of GST) because $150 is only for 1 hole opening.

proud owner
15-11-15, 09:23
My friend subscribed to open net..the Telco sent contractor to install it.

But they needed to drill holes to 'connect' from outside into his unit.

He did pay $150 for that. But the contractor is 'approved' by the condo.

I dont think any contractor can anyhow drill holes on common property.

irisng
15-11-15, 12:31
My friend subscribed to open net..the Telco sent contractor to install it.

But they needed to drill holes to 'connect' from outside into his unit.

He did pay $150 for that. But the contractor is 'approved' by the condo.

I dont think any contractor can anyhow drill holes on common property.

Thanks. The open net was already installed by the management when TOP. The holes are sealed and now the contractor cannot access to it, so he needs to drill the false ceiling and seal it back later. The problem is my ex-tenant used broadband only, so we didn't know that the open net is not working until my 2nd tenant complain. The management said that the warranty is over and she insisted us to pay though the false ceilling is at the common corridor.

proud owner
15-11-15, 14:32
Thanks. The open net was already installed by the management when TOP. The holes are sealed and now the contractor cannot access to it, so he needs to drill the false ceiling and seal it back later. The problem is my ex-tenant used broadband only, so we didn't know that the open net is not working until my 2nd tenant complain. The management said that the warranty is over and she insisted us to pay though the false ceilling is at the common corridor.

for my friend's case, during the FREE installation period, the unit was tenanted.

The tenant ignored the letter of notice, hence he didnt get the free installation.

the $150 he paid was for drilling the CONCRETE into his unit.

to drill the ceiling board portion was free...afterall it can be patched back.

if the problem is due to wiring, the telco has to cut open the ceiling board no matter what... kind of strange that you have to pay for that portion..

irisng
15-11-15, 21:37
for my friend's case, during the FREE installation period, the unit was tenanted.

The tenant ignored the letter of notice, hence he didnt get the free installation.

the $150 he paid was for drilling the CONCRETE into his unit.

to drill the ceiling board portion was free...afterall it can be patched back.

if the problem is due to wiring, the telco has to cut open the ceiling board no matter what... kind of strange that you have to pay for that portion..

That's why I wonder why should we pay. Luckily my tenant is understandable, he said he will use broadband instead of open net so that we can save the cost.

irisng
15-11-15, 21:55
How about the side door access card? This management is crazy, he said every 5 years must change the card because of the life span and owners have to bear the cost ($50 x 4 cards = $200). I told him, it is the management who wants to change and not the owners who want to change or lost it. He said all condos have the same practise but I told him that at least my current condo doesn't practice such a thing. All replacement are free if requested by the management. Later he then said he will check with his senior.

Arcachon
16-11-15, 00:18
How about the side door access card? This management is crazy, he said every 5 years must change the card because of the life span and owners have to bear the cost ($50 x 4 cards = $200). I told him, it is the management who wants to change and not the owners who want to change or lost it. He said all condos have the same practise but I told him that at least my current condo doesn't practice such a thing. All replacement are free if requested by the management. Later he then said he will check with his senior.

Management Corporation Strata Title (MCST) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/917833728302212/

Southbank also don't pay for replacement. Maybe can share the MCST that need to pay.

proud owner
17-11-15, 23:41

This should be raised at AGM ...

question the council + MA on this issue, why the need to replace card every 5 yr / cant they get one that can last longer ?

the Subsidiary Proprietor (owners) can :
vote on whether to pay or not to pay for card replacement every 5yrs,
or throw out the entire issue..

the problem these days is that MA view the council as their boss, and not the SPs.

even when they disagree with the council they also LL go along with it instead of giving advice on what is best.

You can also question the MCST on the company they engage to issue those cards...
for all you know the card company is owned /related to some council members...

this Conflict of interest issue can always be raised during AGM..and request MA/MCST to investigate and publish and made known to all SPs.

if you have good evidents ...report to CAD for possible corruption ..

irisng
18-11-15, 07:04
This should be raised at AGM ...

question the council + MA on this issue, why the need to replace card every 5 yr / cant they get one that can last longer ?

the Subsidiary Proprietor (owners) can :
vote on whether to pay or not to pay for card replacement every 5yrs,
or throw out the entire issue..

the problem these days is that MA view the council as their boss, and not the SPs.

even when they disagree with the council they also LL go along with it instead of giving advice on what is best.

You can also question the MCST on the company they engage to issue those cards...
for all you know the card company is owned /related to some council members...

this Conflict of interest issue can always be raised during AGM..and request MA/MCST to investigate and publish and made known to all SPs.

if you have good evidents ...report to CAD for possible corruption ..

This issue was actually raised during the AGM but nobody seems to be troubled by it, they just said "need to pay ah?", and then all keep quiet, hahaha.

hopeful
18-11-15, 08:32
is it worth it for you to do all the work, and others reap the benefit?

you work to save $200, others do nothing and save $200.
you spend hours digging out whether there is special relationship between some council members and card company.
No special relationship, you wasted the hours that you could have spend with your family.
Yes, got special relationship. you submit your report to CAD, then maybe you have to take leave from work to be questioned by CAD or in court. if council members staying in the condo, perhaps you have to see them everyday - what will be your feeling when you meet them?

many people encourage others because "you hao si kang" (sorry for my crap mandarin) - "got nice movie to watch".

once again, is it worth it for you to do all the work, and others reap the benefit?

proud owner
18-11-15, 13:53
is it worth it for you to do all the work, and others reap the benefit?

you work to save $200, others do nothing and save $200.
you spend hours digging out whether there is special relationship between some council members and card company.
No special relationship, you wasted the hours that you could have spend with your family.
Yes, got special relationship. you submit your report to CAD, then maybe you have to take leave from work to be questioned by CAD or in court. if council members staying in the condo, perhaps you have to see them everyday - what will be your feeling when you meet them?

many people encourage others because "you hao si kang" (sorry for my crap mandarin) - "got nice movie to watch".

once again, is it worth it for you to do all the work, and others reap the benefit?

when you find out what some council members do ... you will know it is worth it.

i shant disclose which condo it is...
in its case, a few particular owners join the council every 5 yrs... TIME for repainting of condo...
awarding the contract to their 'friends' and got kick backs..

creating and engaging CONSULTANTs (themselves) for works that were unnecessary.

erasing CCTV record of Vandalism of their own children. MA saw the video...reported to police... when police came... the record was already erased ...

hopeful
18-11-15, 16:22
any happy ending to the story?
like the particulars owners no longer in council, went to jail, or their children kena arrested? maintenance and sinking fund per quarter become lower?

the thing is many people have a sense of "fairness". this is unfair, that is unfair.
at 1 one point or another, how many of us were very outrage at the unfairness of somebody? we could have murdered that person, yet we did not. the funny thing is, after sometime has passed, we don't feel that outraged about it at all and kinda of accept things as they were.

iris mention spending $200 every 5 years on keycards. is the amount worth getting upset about? perhaps she feel unfair about some council getting easy kickback money. give it sometime and iris would feel ok about it.
time heals all wounds.

amk can ask his friend whether he still feel outrage at citibank. i don't think his friend can muster the same outrage now as he felt at that time.
time heal all wounds. life goes on.

i would encourage people to become council members themselves for the perks and privileges affordable to them. "if you can't beat them, join them".

proud owner
18-11-15, 21:23
any happy ending to the story?
like the particulars owners no longer in council, went to jail, or their children kena arrested? maintenance and sinking fund per quarter become lower?

the thing is many people have a sense of "fairness". this is unfair, that is unfair.
at 1 one point or another, how many of us were very outrage at the unfairness of somebody? we could have murdered that person, yet we did not. the funny thing is, after sometime has passed, we don't feel that outraged about it at all and kinda of accept things as they were.

iris mention spending $200 every 5 years on keycards. is the amount worth getting upset about? perhaps she feel unfair about some council getting easy kickback money. give it sometime and iris would feel ok about it.
time heals all wounds.

amk can ask his friend whether he still feel outrage at citibank. i don't think his friend can muster the same outrage now as he felt at that time.
time heal all wounds. life goes on.

i would encourage people to become council members themselves for the perks and privileges affordable to them. "if you can't beat them, join them".

problem was that almost 75 pct of the units are tenanted.
Owners dont live there and didnt care to attend AGM.
The crooks got together and voted themselves in.

Anyway ...
It was exposed when the council fired the MA to bring in their own MA (set up by one council member).
The ex MA manager exposed the wrong doings.

The SPs got together, took the effort to gather proxies from owners who dont live there and ousted the council.

They did consider taking them to court. But the crooked chairman was a 80 ish yr old veteran who has lived there for the longest time. They gave him a warning and made him promise never to run for council ever again.

past painting jobs cost abt 700k. But their "successful tender" was over $1mil.
ex manager cfm 5 tenders came in but on records only 3, 2 went missing. Apparently disposed by chairman. and the 3 remaining tenders were "friends".

Probably been told how much to tender....

Even the new MA that came in ... when questioned during AGM... how it was selected... it was a real joke.

5 MAs were INVITED to tender.
3 did not reply.
1 was the successful one
the other was the MA that the council was planning to fire..

can u imagine ? why invite the one you want to fire to tender ?
taking away that , the successful MA was in fact THE ONLY TENDER.

That council removed all the bicycle racks that previous council installed barely a year ago. Then call for tender to install new ones.

Have you heard Painting project needs consultant : made up of Architect, Building surveyor and Structure engineer ?
of these 3 positions, 2 of which could be filled by council members.

Luckily these were all found out prior to AGM and all got thrown out. Chairman ousted.

irisng
19-11-15, 07:45
time heals all wounds.

Hello, I'm bringing up the topic here is to discuss whether is it true like the MCST said, most condo are doing the same thing, charging owners for the cards replacement and not that I feel unfair over it, anyway if it is being charged, all owners will be affected, not only me. But I do agree that time heals all wounds.

Just to share my experience, once my daughter's had a class gathering at my condo, somehow one of her classmates put his swimming trunk near the heater (sauna room) inside the toilet and went out. It got burn and fire broke out, luckily a resident came in and saw it, otherwise I couldn't imagine how the damaged would be. It burnt just only a small portion of the wooden wall near the heater but the chairman gave us a $6,000 quote for the damaged, in the end we got another contractor and we paid only $900+ for the damaged wooden walls. Later we then realised that this chairman was asked to step down because he was suspected of "eating money".